Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Concurred posted:

hydrogen bomb vs. coughing baby,

Bakugo just got done being dead, so it's more like coughing bomb vs hydrogen baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thread title

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Interjecting to say that I just realized that "Spearlike Bones" from AFO's big punch against All Might is probably his mother's quirk.

Protected by a mother's love. He's basically Harry Potter.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Larryb posted:

To be fair, both shows did burn out a lot of good will with their respective fanbase (the massive production delays during AOT and the fact the manga ending sucked to begin with didn’t help much either)

True. Also every so often an article comes out abut GRRM still not finished with the final GoT book and I'm wondering if anyone actually gives a poo poo anymore anyway.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

True. Also every so often an article comes out abut GRRM still not finished with the final GoT book and I'm wondering if anyone actually gives a poo poo anymore anyway.

Final TWO books of Game of Thrones lol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cool kids inc. posted:

Final TWO books of Game of Thrones lol.

lmao I had forgotten about that. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't dropped dead yet considering that he really doesn't seem to be the healthiest individual.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

oh jay posted:

Interjecting to say that I just realized that "Spearlike Bones" from AFO's big punch against All Might is probably his mother's quirk.

Protected by a mother's love. He's basically Harry Potter Gaara.

:colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll only care about the next two books if Ranni is in them

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dude pissed off the core fanbase of book readers pretty hard a few years back: You can see how badly he flubbed the 2020 Hugo awards when the blog post, "George R.R. Martin Can gently caress Off Into the Sun," was nominated for a 2021 Hugo award.

And then the people who nominated a drama piece calling for GRRM to explode in the sky were surprised and upset that he stopped throwing large parties after the Hugo awards.

In conclusion, everything and everyone is stupid.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

People seemed to basically stop talking altogether about AoT when the finale came out almost immediately. It reminded me about the instant vacuum of people dropping out of fandom for Game of Thrones when it finished.

AoT is interesting. It feels nearly impossible to talk about without discourse™ popping up, which happened to me once or twice. Quelled any desire to discuss it or the themes, and I have encountered more than one person who stopped watching or discussing the series because of it. "So I watched AoT" "Oh so you are pro-fascist?"

MHA has a much wider audience, and the sheer number of marketable characters, (relatively) generally lighter tone, lack of controversy, world building, and genre (super hero) screams "infinite marketability" even with a terrible ending. MHA hasn't really lost goodwill with readers, this thread notwithstanding.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Prowler posted:

AoT is interesting. It feels nearly impossible to talk about without discourse™ popping up, which happened to me once or twice. Quelled any desire to discuss it or the themes, and I have encountered more than one person who stopped watching or discussing the series because of it. "So I watched AoT" "Oh so you are pro-fascist?"

MHA has a much wider audience, and the sheer number of marketable characters, (relatively) generally lighter tone, lack of controversy, world building, and genre (super hero) screams "infinite marketability" even with a terrible ending. MHA hasn't really lost goodwill with readers, this thread notwithstanding.

Oh for sure- I'm actually still enjoying MHA more or less- it can get messy as hell for sure, but Vigilantes has proven that the universe is definitely ripe for more spin-offs, which I honestly expect to happen.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dude pissed off the core fanbase of book readers pretty hard a few years back: You can see how badly he flubbed the 2020 Hugo awards when the blog post, "George R.R. Martin Can gently caress Off Into the Sun," was nominated for a 2021 Hugo award.

And then the people who nominated a drama piece calling for GRRM to explode in the sky were surprised and upset that he stopped throwing large parties after the Hugo awards.

holy poo poo lmao

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mystic Mongol posted:

lmao that the first major point of that whole blog post wound up being wrong, along with a few others.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

oh jay posted:

Protected by a mother's love. He's basically Harry Potter.

Weirdly humanizing of him to hold onto that quirk forever.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
humanizing in the same way the british museum's collection is humanizing

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
AfO has been a cool villain and I will hope Shigaraki can go on to have even a fraction of his rizz. AfO's flashback reminded me of poo poo that would happen in a late eighties or early nineties anime like Ninja Scroll or MD Geist. Just brutal and grim for no real reason.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Still wishing AfO had actually been sincere with his "yeah i'm pretty much donezo but as my last act on stage i've personally raised someone to be my even worse successor and i deliberately hand picked the most painful and agonizing person possible to my rival to be that successor out of cruel spite" bit because that was way cooler and more hosed up than becoming a screaming akira child and blowing everyone up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanos posted:

Still wishing AfO had actually been sincere with his "yeah i'm pretty much donezo but as my last act on stage i've personally raised someone to be my even worse successor and i deliberately hand picked the most painful and agonizing person possible to my rival to be that successor out of cruel spite" bit because that was way cooler and more hosed up than becoming a screaming akira child and blowing everyone up.

Agreed. He lost so much personality when he turned into Calvinballman.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I can appreciate it as “nah, villains who aren’t driven to it by society or a rough life are probably just assholes”. He’s an rear end in a top hat.

And now he has to face a bigger rear end in a top hat.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Katsuki's going to make good on his potential from chapter 1 and bully AFO into killing himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It teaches the important life lesson that sometimes a baby is just evil.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

It teaches the important life lesson that sometimes a baby is just evil.

the worst vibes

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
MHA is anti-baby, and I respect that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A baby started this series, and that's how it ends.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
is shigaraki just standing there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

He's fighting Deku, isn't he?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They both stopped fighting long ago so they can watch Bakugo bully a small child.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

ImpAtom posted:

He's fighting Deku, isn't he?

Had to go back to check and yeah, sorta! I don't think we've seen either of them actually fight since leaving flying fortress, though deku implies they've been going at it lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
deku's used his forbidden "I can't breathe anymore" powerup so maybe shiggy's just being a pal and giving him a chance to catch his breath

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheHan posted:

He's giving Deku a swirlie offscreen.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
The only good bit about the whole AFO stuff was him pointing out that the glowing baby wasn't the first one, just the first one that the media latched onto. I dig that quirks had appeared among the downtrodden etc long before and no one had cared or thought to check before or since.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheHan posted:

But is he standing there menacingly is the question.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

I can appreciate it as “nah, villains who aren’t driven to it by society or a rough life are probably just assholes”. He’s an rear end in a top hat.

And now he has to face a bigger rear end in a top hat.

It’s assholes all the way down

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Shigaraki is trying to prevent All For One from controlling him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
They're going to settle this in league of legends

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sorry if I missed it, but who is the person in the panel to the left of Bakugo's parents on the last page of the chapter?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
One For All, I think.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sukuna’s a fraud, he hasn’t even instagibbed everyone like before

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SpacePig posted: