Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Serephina posted:

Stop sleeping with women, then!

It's not gay if you say "no homo" beforehand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Serephina posted:

Stop sleeping with women, then!

Have you seen the documentary Junior? It can happen man.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I not only successfully defended but outright won against that 10k levy Muslim force I mentioned about earlier after 10 years of fighting. I even ended up taking the duchy of Catalan or whatever on the east side of Spain with a subsequent invasion. I guess I drained the Muslim ruler's funds so badly his realm ended up fracturing into pieces in Spain, making that side of my realm less threatening. The HRE has almost gobbled up the entirety of France, though, so that's an imminent threat I guess.

Still, my ruler is pushing 69 and still kicking rear end, she's even outlived some of her daughters. I'm gonna miss her whenever she eventually kicks the bucket.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 1, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just swear fealty to the HRE and wreck it from within.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about the HRE, it's usually brittle as gently caress. And it almost certainly isn't the actual Emperor you need to worry about, it'll be whatever big vassal is on the western side of the realm.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It can even be to your advantage to swear fealty to the HRE. Sure, you won't be able to form an empire until you're independent again, but let's take a look at some of the benefits you can get from being a vassal:

1. Defense. If you're a small to mid size realm, then being a vassal to a stronger empire can protect you from external threats declaring war on you. External threats would have to declare war on your liege to take lands under you, and if your liege is much stronger than you it can offer a great deal of protection. Your liege cannot defend you from other strong vassals within his realm, though.

2. Being on your liege's council can offer you some sweet benefits depending on which position you have. Being their Steward, for example, gives you some easy income, and being their Spymaster makes it much easier for you to do hostile schemes against other vassals or your liege themself. Becoming a member of your liege's council is as easy as modifying your feudal contract to have a guaranteed seat. You can either try to get a hook on your liege to change it without giving up something else, or you can just ask for the council guarantee in exchange for higher levy contribution. Once you got that guarantee you can just demand a council position whenever you want. If you want to change your council position, it's as easy as resigning from their council and then demanding a new position.

3. Claim throne schemes can be fun! Go from a backwater king to someone who has a pressed claim for the empire! Fun fact about the HRE, since the title is passed down by vote, and eligible candidates include anyone with a claim... You could use intrigue to get yourself a claim and then either murder preferred candidates or get hooks on the electors and make them support you! Its much easier if you also have many virtuous traits, as that carries a lot of weight with the electors.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
You can game your contract as a vassal to the point where being one offers a significant net benefit over being independent. I think the ideal way to play the game is as a vassal parasite in a large empire.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

George Sex - REAL posted:

You can game your contract as a vassal to the point where being one offers a significant net benefit over being independent. I think the ideal way to play the game is as a vassal parasite in a large empire.

Yeah this is the unique thing about CK compared to other Paradox games. Usually being a puppet in other grand strategy titles is just flat out worse than being independent no matter what your situation is, but being a vassal in CK is a whole other game and gives you a ton of options.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I not only successfully defended but outright won against that 10k levy Muslim force I mentioned about earlier after 10 years of fighting.

i just went agaisnt the Pope because the lil man can't take a L. It took ten years and some maneuvers (and a lot of save scumming) but I managed to break the opposing army and force the Pope to declare defeat.

Now, all that is left to do is to dismantle the Papacy and reform Astaru so that no one can threaten me ever again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I swear every affair leads to a baby. Every single one.

Unless it's changed since I looked last year, it's 50% on the seduction event, 30% on all other events where you sleep with someone. And then of course if you have an ongoing affair there is a chance every month to get them pregnant.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Did a patch break realm stability or something?

I started as a count in the HRE. HRE exploded in a dissolution war and I swore fealty to an uncle-in-law that was king of Bavaria. Bavaria exploded and my then the uncle-in-law's duchy exploded and now i am independent.

On top of this, after the HRE collapsed, but before Bavaria dissolution war, the Bavarian king won a crown-authority war. I had inherited a duchy that was de jure for an unformed Italy and was connected with the Bavarian capital – not an exclave.

I was not in the war. My vassals were not in the war. My lands were unoccupied and were not the war target.

As soon as the king won the war, I lost all lands under the duchy and was left with a single county outside of the duchy and de jure Bavaria (I was still a vassal of the king). The new Counts seemed like they had just spawned in (no family or memories) and they were not my vassals despite me still having the ducal title. In fact they were now all independent rulers.

Any idea on what happened there?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

How do you guys build your economy with the new system?

Given slots, in my mind basically farms + blacksmiths are a given anywhere, but I don't have much better sense with more options available (other than windmills).

For example, farmlands. Ok, build manors. My perception is that I should build farms AND manors, but I keep thinking that this slot might be better used for something else (instead of farms). Like, I do have the option to stack and it's a flat gain, so it seems obvious to me.

This got me bad in floodplains. It's the Nile. I have the option of farms, orchards, ports, caravanserai, mills. My instinct is to build all of it but I need to find a place where I can build military infrastructure because otherwise lmao

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Did a patch break realm stability or something?

I started as a count in the HRE. HRE exploded in a dissolution war and I swore fealty to an uncle-in-law that was king of Bavaria. Bavaria exploded and my then the uncle-in-law's duchy exploded and now i am independent.

On top of this, after the HRE collapsed, but before Bavaria dissolution war, the Bavarian king won a crown-authority war. I had inherited a duchy that was de jure for an unformed Italy and was connected with the Bavarian capital – not an exclave.

I was not in the war. My vassals were not in the war. My lands were unoccupied and were not the war target.

As soon as the king won the war, I lost all lands under the duchy and was left with a single county outside of the duchy and de jure Bavaria (I was still a vassal of the king). The new Counts seemed like they had just spawned in (no family or memories) and they were not my vassals despite me still having the ducal title. In fact they were now all independent rulers.

Any idea on what happened there?

Did he surrender to a populist faction demand? What does the title history of the counts say?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I did have a weird bug where I win a kingdom holy war against the byzantines and then a few years later half the duchies had reverted back to Byzantine even though no war was ever fought. I looked at the titles and it just said that the Byzantines stole the titles. No clue what happened, never seen that before.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Bird in a Blender posted:

I did have a weird bug where I win a kingdom holy war against the byzantines and then a few years later half the duchies had reverted back to Byzantine even though no war was ever fought. I looked at the titles and it just said that the Byzantines stole the titles. No clue what happened, never seen that before.

I think there is an action a steward can make to revert back some of the land if it is part of their de jure territory but it takes years usually.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

Did he surrender to a populist faction demand? What does the title history of the counts say?

As soon as the war ended the counties were inherited by the King and then granted to the new Counts.

At no point was I given choice to rebel and i was not placed in prison.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me
I also have a bug where the people with Church will disappear from the bishop position (Or the equivalent in Astaru) when be non-selectable to the position afterwards. The game even take away the land afterwards for some reason?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

When you take over as Emperor and see that there are 7 different murder plots against you, I guess it's inevitable that one of them will succeed despite all of them being 5% chance at working. This guy really pissed some people off. He only had one rival though, which was surprising.

This run has been funny as it seems I alternate between guy who takes over young and lives forever, and guy who gets murdered within 5 years. My emperor who just died at 76 ruled for 70 years because his father was murdered. Now my new emperor will be 11.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Circle of Knife.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-141-a-year-in-review.1616623/

Nothing really remarkable, just says they're gonna make stuff next year. They are doing a "Core Expansion" instead of a flavor pack which it sounds like will address a basic game system instead of a regional update. No poll about what the mini event pack will be about. There will be a Chapter III for DLC. Other than that basically just a lot of teasers.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Sweet. 2023 was a very good year for the game. Looking forward to more mechanical/systemic changes in Chapter 3.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Give us the ability to create autocephalous Orthodox churches, you cowards!

Also, I'm spinning up a Saffarid run - what would be the better capital - Isfahan or Baghdad?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
baghdad is better every which way.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah Baghdad is one of the best counties in the entire game and an ideal capital for basically anyone in the region.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Its currently held by the Abbasid Caliph, although I have already taken the Persian Empire via the Iranian Resurgence decision.

But I think I have another war or two in Ya'qub before he dies

The resurgence decision is amazing. 100% cultural acceptance for all Iranian based cultures? Nice! Just need a way to get vassal kings to culture blend correctly, and the world is my persian oyster

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

So, turns out if your score goes over ~2000000 in CKII it overflows and you're now poo poo, your dynasty is poo poo, your bloodline is trash. A fitting end to my Lombard 769 start, I suppose

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is it worth using your Steward to increase dev? With the era limit on development, Im thinking maybe until you hit that limit, but otherwise ...promote culture or raise taxes seems to be the optimal choice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dev is seriously op if you can do it for 100, 150 years and keep good stewards for that time

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you're serious about development, it turns out that you'll hit the cap almost instantly. That, combined with how there's a gradient as you approach the cap, means that you'll be operating under it pretty much at all times and so don't sweat it, just keep cranking it for a century.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
It’s pretty easy to go over the cap by using flat dev from buildings, or by befriending your steward/other council task bonuses. The glitchless speedrun for 100 dev is less than a century, and probably can be improved significantly with more modern strats

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Is there any benefit for spreading culture other than roleplay and harmony reasons?

Innovation discovery speed is (partially) based on average development, so devloping your duchy while having 100 poorly developed counties with your culture nerfs the progress a bit.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is there any benefit for spreading culture other than roleplay and harmony reasons?

Innovation discovery speed is (partially) based on average development, so devloping your duchy while having 100 poorly developed counties with your culture nerfs the progress a bit.

Spreading it to your own holdings is good because then you can actually get an immediate benefit when you discover a new innovation. I usually make sure my core duchy is all my culture. After that I don't get as serious about it since I may lose them in succession. Unless I want to hybridize or convert culture in a county, I'm always on Development. I'll move it around to other counties occasionally, since I think having one super high developed county next to less developed ones can drag down your progress. Otherwise I focus it all on my capitol.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

To gain access to some regional innovations, maybe?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah the main reason is so you can build all the stuff you innovate. I normally spread my culture to what will be the core holdings i want to pass on each time once I have a stable succession. Beyond that though, you are correct spreading your culture to low dev areas that you don't plan to do much with just slows down your innovation and wastes your steward's time when they could be deving your core.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Something Ive never really thought about - does the AI take into consideration the Crime Doctrines for a characters religion when making decisions? i.e. Adultery is a crime, chance lowered?

Probably just confirmation bias, but I formed a Persian Mu'tazilism empire, and I noticed a lot more people where criming. Maybe I just have good spymasters this run

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Moreau posted:

Something Ive never really thought about - does the AI take into consideration the Crime Doctrines for a characters religion when making decisions? i.e. Adultery is a crime, chance lowered?

Probably just confirmation bias, but I formed a Persian Mu'tazilism empire, and I noticed a lot more people where criming. Maybe I just have good spymasters this run

I've seen no evidence they do. In fact making everything criminal is one of the best ways to keep control of your empire as you'll have reasons to lock up just about anyone, esp. if you combine with the Recognition of Talent culture trait.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
So is the appoint grand vizier interaction just broken?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and they have real holidays in sweden so you're gonna wait till the new year for it to be fixed

same w/ all mac anything

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Not gonna lie, for awhile there I started to worry that this guy might be bugged as immortal. All my children and grandchildren dying before me completely wrecked my Scandinavian Elective based inheritance plans, too.

Moreau fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wow, what a nice obituary. Normally it's stuff about how you hosed a pig that one time, and nobody ever forgot.