Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

gently caress yooooouuuuu

:canada::quebec:

Harlock posted:

Here's your baseball discourse today. You'll be back to contracts and acquisitions soon enough

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1734613071988244777

aaaaand yooooouuuuu

I'm being alternate-reality nostalgia gaslit, or something

kalensc fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

live with fruit posted:

Lee's contract is nuts considering that Kim got $28 million three years ago.

Yeah.

I was hoping he'd join Kim in SD, but that's quite an expensive gamble.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Oh for fucks sake.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, and I'm sure you're all familiar with the Baseball Doesn't Exist YouTube channel, but here's a great Ohtani video and why giving him all the money is a great idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6lXHNLePjo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Craptacular! posted:

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1734730604992962994

Shohei: Will you take the deal?
LA: Well, uh--
Shohei: Hey over there will you take this deal?
SF: Really? Yeah, okay
Shohei: They said they'll take the deal.
LA: Okay, we'll take the deal.

Monty Hall opens one door Shohei didn’t pick and behind it is the Giants. Will he get a brand-new Dodgers contract or will he get the Cubs?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
little late on this, but, lol at West Virginia being Pirates Country

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
? That isn’t surprising at all lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Didn't say it was surprising--just funny

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
But here’s what isn’t funny - Endy out for 2024 with TJS :smithicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Man, I don't follow baseball like I used to, but I have no idea who Corbin Carroll is. Arizona might as well have said Bobson Dugnut.

Insanely good rookie who has four tools (let's not talk about his arm in center) and was impossible to keep off the bases in the NLWC and NLDS rounds from this year. Watch some condensed games from the playoffs when you have some time.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Nodoze posted:

I like Lee but that is more money than I thought he would get

if Zaidi did not spend *right now* he would get run out of town

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Eric the Mauve posted:

little late on this, but, lol at West Virginia being Pirates Country

they love generational failure

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

matti posted:

if Zaidi did not spend *right now* he would get run out of town

It sounds like all the tech bros are getting run out of town, thankfully.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MaoistBanker posted:

they love generational failure

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Now there's Twitter rumors about the Dodgers trading for Glasnow and either Randy or Margot, which doesn't... really make sense unless the Rays are getting something really big in return or trying to free up salary (Glasnow+Margot is $25 million, Randy's in arb and making $4 million this year) for an FA signing? We know Glasnow's not finishing the season in St. Pete, Margot probably not, and I don't know why they'd trade Randy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now there's Twitter rumors about the Dodgers trading for Glasnow and either Randy or Margot, which doesn't... really make sense unless the Rays are getting something really big in return or trying to free up salary (Glasnow+Margot is $25 million, Randy's in arb and making $4 million this year) for an FA signing? We know Glasnow's not finishing the season in St. Pete, Margot probably not, and I don't know why they'd trade Randy.

Arozarena posted a picture of himself with Ohtani at the WBC and everyone's jumped to conclusions because they were in a coma over the weekend.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There have been rumblings about Randy to the Dodgers previously, they’re certainly interested in him. But he’s got several years of control left so I can’t imagine the Rays are too motivated to move him.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Dodgers are going to give the Rays their top draft pick for 10 years, starting 10 years from now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bawfuls posted:

There have been rumblings about Randy to the Dodgers previously, they’re certainly interested in him. But he’s got several years of control left so I can’t imagine the Rays are too motivated to move him.

Yeah, it doesn’t fit their pattern of roster flipping unless they’re blowing it up and starting over, which they’re obviously not doing coming off a 99-win season.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1734805152220184935

The interesting note is that Posey delicately suggests that the chud narrative of San Francisco, the one of an open air zoo of human feces piling up on sidewalks and muggers on every corner, is spooking free agents. Particularly international signings from cultures where grime is usually hidden from view. Ohtani himself expressed no reservations, but his entourage did.

Seiya Suzuki signing with the Cubs is specifically cited as a time where the Bay Area was perceived as being less safe (than Chicago???)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dang that sucks if true. It really does seem like the SF narrative in particular has penetrated general cultural consciousness more than other "unsafe liberal city" ones for whatever reason.

In terms of SF and Chicago, the narrative here is pretty much exclusively centered around gun violence and doesn't really include elements of the SF narrative like the mobs of violent homeless people, open drug use in front of pre-schools, and streets covered in literal human poo poo (disclaimer I'm obviously engaging in MASSIVE hyperbole here, but this is absolutely the kind of stuff you hear talking to most people who live outside California). Also in both LA and Chicago's cases you're talking about hugely sprawled out areas that have much more strictly segregated rich and poor areas. Obviously SF has rich enclaves as well but it's way more dense within a smaller area and much harder to just totally avoid the "undesirables", as it were. Unless you're including the rest of the Bay Area of course, but I'm not sure how many players are hyped about living in some affluent techbro Palo Alto suburb.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know if this is my upbringing in the mean streets of Sonoma wineries, but I'm way more comfortable with people shooting drugs than shooting bullets. However, Japan has a 1950s Reefer Madness view of drugs, where possession of marijuana can end a celebrity's career.

I don't think the city that brought you Snoop Dogg smokes less weed than SF, but it is still that city of pot smoking stoners and LSD hippies to a lot of people.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 13, 2023

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's a salary dump, glasnow's making 25 million, margot's making another 10 as a 4th OF and the rays just aren't paying those prices.

They will probably get a fringe dodgers top 10ish prospect that they will somehow bullshit into a solid MLB career, but it's all about the money

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it's a salary dump, glasnow's making 25 million, margot's making another 10 as a 4th OF and the rays just aren't paying those prices.

They will probably get a fringe dodgers top 10ish prospect that they will somehow bullshit into a solid MLB career, but it's all about the money

Eeeeeh, the reports are saying they want to move them and their contracts but are not looking to straight salary dump for A-ball guys. They’ll get a quadruple-A outfielder and he’ll somehow hit .350 when he gets called up in June.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know if this is my upbringing in the mean streets of Sonoma wineries, but I'm way more comfortable with people shooting drugs than shooting bullets. However, Japan has a 1950s Reefer Madness view of drugs, where possession of marijuana can end a celebrity's career.

I don't think the city that brought you Snoop Dogg smokes less weed than SF, but it is still that city of pot smoking stoners and LSD hippies to a lot of people.

Wait when did this become about Seattle??

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

live with fruit posted:

Arozarena posted a picture of himself with Ohtani at the WBC and everyone's jumped to conclusions because they were in a coma over the weekend.

Since everyone's addicted to being absolutely insane this off-season Ohtani's best friend/translator just followed a bunch of Dodger players on IG, along with Randy and Glasnow.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Dang that sucks if true. It really does seem like the SF narrative in particular has penetrated general cultural consciousness more than other "unsafe liberal city" ones for whatever reason.

In terms of SF and Chicago, the narrative here is pretty much exclusively centered around gun violence and doesn't really include elements of the SF narrative like the mobs of violent homeless people, open drug use in front of pre-schools, and streets covered in literal human poo poo (disclaimer I'm obviously engaging in MASSIVE hyperbole here, but this is absolutely the kind of stuff you hear talking to most people who live outside California). Also in both LA and Chicago's cases you're talking about hugely sprawled out areas that have much more strictly segregated rich and poor areas. Obviously SF has rich enclaves as well but it's way more dense within a smaller area and much harder to just totally avoid the "undesirables", as it were. Unless you're including the rest of the Bay Area of course, but I'm not sure how many players are hyped about living in some affluent techbro Palo Alto suburb.

Mark Rober isn't helping this perception.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWWyG5ZwG8

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm sure Glasnow will work out with the Dodgers.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1734940694471725502

Never trade with the Rays

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pepiot is pretty good but that is mostly a salary dump

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Craptacular! posted:

Agreed, as a Marin person I'm already inoculated to the homeless since San Rafael became a repository due to no institutions being properly funded to help them. While Reagan did cut mental health programs, he sure was personable and made The Market Go Up, so in Marin terms that's a real Sophie's choice (it's not a choice)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Let me say something nice about Brian Cashman: He didn't trade for Manuel Margot.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

But here’s what isn’t funny - Endy out for 2024 with TJS :smithicide:

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1734764886322811328&s=19

Shoot me to death with a gun

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In principle I’m ok moving Pepiot but this seems like a high risk move. Glasnow could be huge for a year but the injury concerns are very real with him.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Nodoze posted:

Never trade with the Rays

The Rays lose trades all the time

Go look up what they got for three years of Snell

Willy Adames turned into an All-Star the moment they gave up on him

The Rays are a smart organization but the idea that they’re a magic fleecing machine is overstated

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya I think its more that they make A LOT of trades so you tend to remember the good ones.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Dodgers have unlimited money so if they trade for Glasnow and he dies like he always does they can just buy their way out of it at the deadline.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The Dodgers have unlimited money so if they trade for Glasnow and he dies like he always does they can just buy their way out of it at the deadline.
with all the players that can be acquired at the deadline for just money??

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Money can be exchanged for Goodens and Servaises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.