Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
The MUTOs kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BiggestBatman posted:

The MUTOs kiss

According to King of the Monsters that kiss was actually them loving and G14 showed it uncensored.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vintersorg posted:

Someone on r/Godzilla noticed that some of the buildings smashed in Minus One are the same as 54. :o

The scene with the TV reporters continuing to film until they die is also basically the same

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

writing a creepypasta where children cry blood watching all monsters attack

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Annath posted:

Pretty much the only references to America were negative - their bombing created Godzilla, and they refused to help clean up the problem they created.

In the timeline of the film in reality, the US occupied Japan and was partly funding its reconstruction. General MacArthur, who’s shown in the film, was Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers and effectively Japan’s actual leader at the time. His SACP headquarters was located in Tokyo, which is only like a short drive from the area nuked by Godzilla in the film. The idea that the US wouldn’t care about a nuclear strike in Japan is consequently very silly (especially since the monster is also tearing up US warships!).

So, the absence of the US in the film - because they’re ‘too busy with the Soviets’ or whatever - points to a 300-style mythical distortion.

My guess is that the film is making reference to the “Reverse Course”: SACP policies were initially fairly progressive, but there was a rightward shift in policy beginning in early 1947, intended to “strengthen” Japan against Soviet influence. The US reversed support of unionization, reversed purges of right-wing political figures, reversed attempts at breaking up old industrial conglomerates, etc. Hence, the narrative that the Americans are abandoning the people to focus on Cold War objectives.

The film lingers on archival footage of the otherwise-absent MacArthur in the lead-up to Godzilla’s attack on the bustling, clean, reconstructed Ginza - where Noriko (who has only just gotten the right to vote) is going to work, at a job. Wuh?! So, the film is conducive to a leftist interpretation - but it’s also so heavily-coded that it could easily go the other way. There’s a conspiracy theory in the core of the plot, after all.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

ET is gross. A weird little turd on legs. I hated him as a child and I hate him now.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, there's something about ETs design that I find physically repulsive.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the timeline of the film in reality, the US occupied Japan and was partly funding its reconstruction. General MacArthur, who’s shown in the film, was Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers and effectively Japan’s actual leader at the time. His SACP headquarters was located in Tokyo, which is only like a short drive from the area nuked by Godzilla in the film. The idea that the US wouldn’t care about a nuclear strike in Japan is consequently very silly (especially since the monster is also tearing up US warships!).

So, the absence of the US in the film - because they’re ‘too busy with the Soviets’ or whatever - points to a 300-style mythical distortion.

My guess is that the film is making reference to the “Reverse Course”: SACP policies were initially fairly progressive, but there was a rightward shift in policy beginning in early 1947, intended to “strengthen” Japan against Soviet influence. The US reversed support of unionization, reversed purges of right-wing political figures, reversed attempts at breaking up old industrial conglomerates, etc. Hence, the narrative that the Americans are abandoning the people to focus on Cold War objectives.

The film lingers on archival footage of the otherwise-absent MacArthur in the lead-up to Godzilla’s attack on the bustling, clean, reconstructed Ginza - where Noriko (who has only just gotten the right to vote) is going to work, at a job. Wuh?! So, the film is conducive to a leftist interpretation - but it’s also so heavily-coded that it could easily go the other way. There’s a conspiracy theory in the core of the plot, after all.

Oh I get all that about how it was in reality.

But that's irrelevant in the movie about a giant radioactive lizard with nuclear bomb halitosis :v:

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you have a link to this? I can't find a current one. I have PMs if that helps.

Archive.org should have one with the subs baked in. If you want one with the English dub that’s another story.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mantis42 posted:

ET is gross. A weird little scrotum with eyes and a mouth. I hated him as a child and I hate him now.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

So if I'm following, Godzilla here could be politically interpreted as resurgent right-wing ideology, the brewing Cold War reviving a monster that everyone thought was dead, which will tear down everything people built from the ashes of the old world and draw people into old maladaptive habits of masochistic self-sacrifice.

Godzilla is, in essence, Counter-revolutionary

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

ET is another one I didn't watch until I was an adult and let me tell you not crazy about ET or his movie

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ET being disgusting instead of cute is great

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

That's interesting, I know zilch about the Reverse Course but reading up on wikipedia makes this movie even more open to interpretation.

quote:

As part of the Reverse Course, thousands of conservative and nationalist wartime leaders were de-purged and allowed to reenter politics and government ministries

Godzilla re-emerging in this movie could represent the conservative/nationalist leaders re-emerging in real life.

Asterite34 posted:

So if I'm following, Godzilla here could be politically interpreted as resurgent right-wing ideology, the brewing Cold War reviving a monster that everyone thought was dead, which will tear down everything people built from the ashes of the old world and draw people into old maladaptive habits of masochistic self-sacrifice.

Exactly!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

was wondering wtf this was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upQYSSXHv7s

it was for a new toy coming out next year
https://tokullectibles.com/products/s-j-h-u-project-shin-universe-robo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What in the gently caress.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Asterite34 posted:

Like any giant monster, Godzilla can be interpreted that way, or in the opposite way: failure to deal with the communist menace, uprising by the filthy homeless, or whatever you’d like. The giant monster doesn’t ‘represent’ anything - or, rather, represents too many things at once. Quoting Frederic Jameson:

“None of these readings can be said to be wrong or aberrant, but their very multiplicity suggests that the vocation of the symbol – the killer shark [from Jaws] – lies less in any single message or meaning than in its very capacity to absorb and organize all of these quite distinct anxieties together. As a symbolic vehicle, then, the shark must be understood in terms of its essentially polysemous function rather than any particular content attributable to it by this or that spectator. Yet it is precisely this polysemousness which is profoundly ideological, insofar as it allows essentially social and historical anxieties to be folded back into apparently ‘natural’ ones, to be both expressed and recontained in what looks like a conflict with other forms of biological existence.
[…]
To rewrite [Jaws] in these terms is thus to emphasize what I will shortly call its Utopian dimension, that is, its ritual celebration of the renewal of the social order and its salvation, not merely from divine wrath, but also from unworthy leadership.

But to put it this way is to begin to shift our attention from the shark itself to the emergence of the hero - or heroes – whose mythic task it is to rid the civilized world of the archetypal monster.”

So even just treating Godzilla as literally just a biological nuke-launching railgun is naturalizing the conflict. The ultimate effect, as we’ve seen, is that just about anyone can watch G Minus One and ‘see themselves in it’. (Two seconds on Youtube will give you default nerd-fascist claims that the film represents the triumph of Japanese conservative monoculture over “Woke Disney” or whatever.) And the film perhaps-deliberately obscures a lot of the information we’d need to have a more concrete understanding of the events - even just basic stuff we’re told in the original, like that Godzilla probably eats fish to survive (and then, oh, the first thing he attacks is a fishing vessel…). With G Minus One, the monster uses absurd amounts of power for moving, zapping, and healing - but without any known food source. There’s the distinct possibility that they could do absolutely nothing and he would just quickly starve to death.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my criteria for if it counts as a kaiju movie is it has to feature a giant monster that, if it's not actually a guy in a suit, has to at least look like it could be played by a guy in a suit.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Godzilla is associated with/created by the nuclear tests at Bikini Atoll, the imagery that precedes him being of guys on a fishing boat seeing dead/mutated/ancient fish rising out of the sea. That, and the protagonist's job being to clear the ocean of residual military waste seem to make the Godzilla metaphor more about environmental aftereffects of nuclear technology than him being continued military strikes. His appearance at the beginning is like a tropical storm, something the locals have adjusted to, who grows exponentially worse due to the toll the ecosystem takes following the tests in the South Pacific.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Godzilla_Toho/status/1735072176816934937?t=BMO2SKfxcWxsBHSeV_kUPw&s=19

Ride that wave

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
To expand on my thoughts on what qualifies as a Kaiju, unusual size is probably the most important trait, but there are a good amount of edge cases where I'd count something as a Kaiju even though they aren't particularly huge, especially if they exist in the same setting as more traditionally sized Kaiju and/or are reasonably weird themselves

This is ultimately more guidelines than set in stone rules mind you

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

Someone on r/Godzilla noticed that some of the buildings smashed in Minus One are the same as 54. :o

Yeah he even appears on Odo island first too

Unrelated, i just found this gem The making of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U73xM3a7WMo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my criteria for if it counts as a kaiju movie is it has to feature a giant monster that, if it's not actually a guy in a suit, has to at least look like it could be played by a guy in a suit.

i think this is the best criteria.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm pestering everyone I possibly can.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

i think this is the best criteria.

That eliminates Cloverfield, which I'd think is certainly a Kaiju movie.

Also, the size thing can create edge cases, like The Host. Yeah, he's big, but, "giant"? The plot falls well within Kaiju territory.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

mllaneza posted:

I'm pestering everyone I possibly can.

My son just asked if we could see it again and take mom this time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That eliminates Cloverfield

Good!

I’d count The Host though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That eliminates Cloverfield, which I'd think is certainly a Kaiju movie.

Also, the size thing can create edge cases, like The Host. Yeah, he's big, but, "giant"? The plot falls well within Kaiju territory.

With Clover I think we obviously need to amend the "man in a suit rule" to be that or a "could be done as a animatronic or puppet/Muppet or claymation" or we would have to disqualify the original King Kong

The Host definitely qualifies as a Kaiju movie, much like 20 Million Miles to Earth or Q The Winged Serpent do

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Kong definitely could’ve been played by a guy in a suit, as evinced by the several Toho King Kong movies where he’s played by a guy in a suit.

That said, King Kong (1933) isn’t a kaiju movie. It’s a proto-kaiju movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I also feel like Ray Harryhausen movies are kind of their own subgenre, in the case of both 20 Million Miles to Earth (official) and Q the Winged Serpenr (unofficial)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Look, the criterion for judging someing a kaiju is simple:

Is it so big that I, a single person, using a remotely conventional man-portable firearm, barring any outside influences, could not kill it?

If not, it's just a big animal. Like an elephant is big, but nobody considers that a real-life kaiju because I could go out and buy a gun that exists in real life that I could shoot it with and it would die (my lovely untrained marksmanship notwithstanding). It doesn't qualify as a "giant monster" if presumably a handful of regular Army guys could line up with rifles and open fire on it and feasibly win.

It counts as a Kaiju if defeating it requires poo poo like tanks or a shitload of dynamite or some superscience electricity gizmo or being killed by another monster.

The shark from JAWS doesn't count, because while you can't really shoot it, that's the water's fault, not that the shark itself is indestructible.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Asterite34 posted:

Is it so big that I, a single person, using a remotely conventional man-portable firearm, barring any outside influences, could not kill it?

If not, it's just a big animal. Like an elephant is big, but nobody considers that a real-life kaiju because I could go out and buy a gun that exists in real life that I could shoot it with and it would die (my lovely untrained marksmanship notwithstanding). It doesn't qualify as a "giant monster" if presumably a handful of regular Army guys could line up with rifles and open fire on it and feasibly win.

It counts as a Kaiju if defeating it requires poo poo like tanks or a shitload of dynamite or some superscience electricity gizmo or being killed by another monster.

The shark from JAWS doesn't count, because while you can't really shoot it, that's the water's fault, not that the shark itself is indestructible.

The sharks from The Meg do qualify, they even come from a magical realm

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Good!

I’d count The Host though

not good, cloverfield is my favorite.

you could be inside the cloverfield suit.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

One thing we really liked (my partner worked in a limnology lab for years so knows some fish biology, and I've done some offshore fishing) is that all the deep sea fish had their distended air bladders or whatever popping out of them, which is what made them look weird. That happens if you are deep sea fishing and pull a fish up too fast. It was a good way to subtly set up the anti-Godzilla plan, too, if you knew that about fishing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Why I oughta...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

not good, cloverfield is my favorite.

you could be inside the cloverfield suit.

Yeah i don’t like Cloverfield at all (“found footage movie narrated entirely by T.J. Miller” is a concept designed in a lab to piss me off) but I do think it meets the “this could be a guy in a suit” criteria.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Asterite34 posted:

A really big elephant would be a good Kaiju.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

A really big elephant would be a good Kaiju.

The Mammoth kaiju that you barely see in King of the Monsters 2019 was one of the coolest things (one of the only cool things) about it

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

King Kong definitely could’ve been played by a guy in a suit, as evinced by the several Toho King Kong movies where he’s played by a guy in a suit.

And 1976 King Kong* and King Kong Lives...

*Except of course for the 15 seconds that they shoehorned Carlo Rambaldi's hilariously bad full scale robot Kong in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

It's just a regular shark isn't it? That's Man vs Nature not Man vs Monster

gently caress it, I'm posting my chart again:

Size Rebel, Form Neutral: General Zod is a Kaiju

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Kong ‘76 is so loving bad but I kind of love it

I think my favorite Kong movie after the original is King Kong Escapes though. it whips. OG Mighty Joe Young is good too if that counts.