Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s easy to blame McDaniels because that’s two years in a row of QBs looking way worse under him than they did immediately before. Garappolo looked like complete poo poo this year. One year of Mac Jones looking middling is the only thing McDaniels has to his name and I think it’s fair to call that a fluke at this point.

Jimmy never really looked right after the foot injury unfortunately

McDaniels was a bad coach but Carr also played like poo poo. Both can be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

As much as the Gruden 2.0 Raiders were flawed in different ways, if you'd added Davante in with Waller and Renfrow it would have been a great offense, considering how Carr was the best he'd been since 2016 in that system

There's no overstating how absolutely garbage McDaniels was at getting anything out of his offense's potential

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

Jimmy never really looked right after the foot injury unfortunately

McDaniels was a bad coach but Carr also played like poo poo. Both can be true

Carr played like poo poo because McDaniels is a bad coach. He’s an average talent so he’s not good enough to overcome bad coaching.

Garappolo looked like poo poo because he’s also an average talent who was playing in a lovely offense. McDaniels was a net drain on the Raiders.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The patriots are kinda intriguing for the whole. Do you really want to follow the greatest coach of all time or at least the modern era?

Thems some big shoes to fill.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Bill has graciously made sure no one will expect anything from the Patriots without a massive roster overhaul.

I'd be more worried for whatever QB gets drafted there having the pressure of following Brady (as everyone pretends Mac Jones never happened).

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I just don't want Marvin Harrison to end up a patriot

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Draft is gonna be fun with two QBs and MHJ all having an argument to go 1 overall, and the Bears may actually be fine trading back again for a haul of picks for a good enough option, depending on circumstances.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
You never want to be the guy that follows the Guy, but as long as we avoid a chip kelly style outing I'll be happy

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They could turn it around pretty quick if they get the right coach/GM in and nail this draft. They have a lot of work to do obviously, but they have a poo poo load of money available and a high draft pick

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Phobeste posted:

You never want to be the guy that follows the Guy, but as long as we avoid a chip kelly style outing I'll be happy

Kelly's first year was really entertaining and inadvertently led to a Super Bowl though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nodoze posted:

They could turn it around pretty quick if they get the right coach/GM in and nail this draft. They have a lot of work to do obviously, but they have a poo poo load of money available and a high draft pick

The Texans show that it’s possible to have an immediate turnaround (until all your players abruptly die). You have to nail everything though and do we really expect the Krafts to do that? Firing Bill means you have to rebuild EVERYTHING, the whole front office was built in his image as well.

Maybe you hit on DeMeco/Stroud or Zac Taylor/Burrow but it seems equally or more likely to get Gase/Darnold or Reich/Young or McDaniels/Jimmy or Hackett/Russ or ……

I’m glad they’ll be taking the swing. Just tempering my expectations as there’s a high chance it fails because this poo poo is hard.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I just hope they get a former coordinator and not a guy from the minors that poo poo never works

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Nodoze posted:

All they need to do is land a top 10 QB, a top 10 Coaching staff, and totally rebuild the roster on offense. Do that and they'll be in the mix in the AFC.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Phobeste posted:

I just hope they get a former coordinator and not a guy from the minors that poo poo never works

Graziano says it might be Mayo: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10100945-patriots-rumors-jerod-mayo-replacing-bill-belichick-seen-as-most-likely-outcome

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

So continuing to suck it is

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
McDaniels can finally get his wish to coach the Patriots again!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

God it would be so funny if the Patriots promoted Belichick's weird doofus son.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

New England getting owned by a Patriots Way Belichick disciple would be disappointing but also extremely appropriate

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

After Bill is canned, will Steve Belichick ever work in pro football again?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean the defense is really good with all their best players injured, so yeah probably gonna get a job.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I thought Mayo was handed the defense so they could get him to stay

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He did, Mayo is the official DC, but Steve's been the LB coach since 2020 and was the secondary / safeties coach before that, and those groups have generally played much higher then their talent level. He may bomb out without daddy around, but he'll definitely get another chance.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hmm is the defense playing well because of noted defensive mastermind Bill belichick or his weird son who makes dumb faces and was handed his job despite having no idea how go do it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Docjowles posted:

The Texans show that it’s possible to have an immediate turnaround (until all your players abruptly die). You have to nail everything though and do we really expect the Krafts to do that? Firing Bill means you have to rebuild EVERYTHING, the whole front office was built in his image as well.

Maybe you hit on DeMeco/Stroud or Zac Taylor/Burrow but it seems equally or more likely to get Gase/Darnold or Reich/Young or McDaniels/Jimmy or Hackett/Russ or ……

I’m glad they’ll be taking the swing. Just tempering my expectations as there’s a high chance it fails because this poo poo is hard.

I've said it over and over. You have to start with the assumption that any first time HC or GM is bad until they prove otherwise. Same with rookie QBs. The Patriots need ALL THREE. It is highly unlikely they get it all right first try.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hmm is the defense playing well because of noted defensive mastermind Bill belichick or his weird son who makes dumb faces and was handed his job despite having no idea how go do it

It is impossible to kno

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Steve Belicheck would be far from the only garbage coordinator coasting off his father's success in the NFL.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

R.D. Mangles posted:

Turns out all those “Belichick to the Chargers, Bears, or Washington” clickbait articles didn’t specify which Belichick it is, and one fan base is in for a big surprise.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kalli posted:

He did, Mayo is the official DC, but Steve's been the LB coach since 2020 and was the secondary / safeties coach before that, and those groups have generally played much higher then their talent level. He may bomb out without daddy around, but he'll definitely get another chance.

Something tells me Bill might enjoy talking shop with his son even after he's retired.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Bill is the one who taught Tom to kiss his sons.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

As bad as Belichick the GM has been at identifying talent, he's at least not overspent them into cap hell. It'll be easier for a good GM to turn the roster around than it will be for, say, the Saints.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Bill is the one who taught Tom to kiss his sons.

When it's been too long since Dad kissed your on the mouth

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
what is all this "hope they turn it around" nonsense? gently caress that, i want the Pats to suffer 1000 years of darkness or have to take up Miami's old spot of perpetual mediocrity. no good things for Boston fans and certainly not for the goddamn Pats

Nov 6, 2002

Has any division ever had a worse collection of coaches than what the NFCS has had this season?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Has any division ever had a worse collection of coaches than what the NFCS has had this season?

I nominate the 2009 NFC West. Spagnuolo, Whisenhunt, Jim Mora, Singletary.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is a fun game to play. I don't think they win but 2009 AFC West: Josh McDaniels, Todd Haley, Tom Cable, Norv Turner.

When you make Norv the best head coach by far on the list you are putting a little work in.

Nov 6, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

I nominate the 2009 NFC West. Spagnuolo, Whisenhunt, Jim Mora, Singletary.

oh christ

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Grittybeard posted:

This is a fun game to play. I don't think they win but 2009 AFC West: Josh McDaniels, Todd Haley, Tom Cable, Norv Turner.

When you make Norv the best head coach by far on the list you are putting a little work in.

Yeah but Todd Haley gave us some all-time classic gifs so it's hard to argue we didn't at least get some entertainment out of that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

This is a fun game to play.

You can narrow the candidates down by thinking about eras. The AFC North/Central is probably right out thanks to the Steelers, ditto the AFC East (Belichick, Levy, Shula). NFC North/Central (Ditka, Holmgren, Green etc).

So for the last few decades, that leaves the two West divisions, the two South divisions, and possibly a few in-between years for the NFC East.

For the NFC East I think 2015 comes closest but Garrett and Coughlin both had decent bodies of work outside these two years.

2015: Jay Gruden, Chip Kelly, 6-10 Coughlin, 4-12 Garrett.
1997: Jim Fassel, Norv Turner, Ray Rhodes, Barry Switzer, Vince Tobin.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
2018 NFCN probably gets saved by McCarthy’s season this year. Besides big Mike, Zimmer, Nagy, and Patricia

e: huh, a Mike, another Mike, and a Matt and a Matt

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
2002 NFC North: Mike Sherman, Mike Tice, Dick Jauron, and Marty Mornhinweg.