Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Asproigerosis posted:

Just woke and up eagles are still a loving trash rear end team smdh

every day i wake up and the eagles are still the buttest 10-3 team to ever butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Asproigerosis posted:

I've been sitting in the acme parking lot crying for the last 5 minutes. Why do people do this to us?!

the Jawns are tiiiired

lmao I think you just stumbled on the real-life version of the villain from the novel I'm writing

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That 4 touchdown game, did it even really exsist?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

my pussy?!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There's no actual way the Giants can go back to Jones, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Would the giants trade Devito for Jalen hurts

I think no right ?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There's no actual way the Giants can go back to Jones, right?

according to the athletic, the 'escape hatch' for jones's contract follows the 2024 season, when the giants can drop him to save $21.5 million in cap while 'only' eating $18 million in dead money

before the godawful start he had to this season i could easily imagine some qb-desperate team out there being willing to trade for him despite the contract, but now? and it's hard to imagine they'll pay a dude that much to ride the bench.

i have to think the giants' front office is praying for devito to turn into a pumpkin

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I hope he turns into fuckin pumpkin ravioli 🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol Vegas looking to really scam some people with this one

but setting them as dogs makes betting on them more attractive, not less

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Obviously the numbers were wildly different 20 years ago but how much were the Pats into Bledsoe when they decided to run Brady out there?

If the kid can play better then Jones (and he can) he has to play.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
after what he's shown you'd like Tommy to stick around as a long term backup but if you try to start Jones again the fans will be big mad

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
as the fan of another nfc east team that paid a quarterback way too much way too early and ate poo poo for it when he turned out to be Not Very Good and his backup was much more competent than it initially seemed: y'all will be fine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Jones contract isn't even awful in the grand scheme, they basically tagged him twice but got to spread out the cap hit. imagine this season went exactly as it has except Jones had been tagged - they'd still probably wind up tagging him again, or try to manufacture a tag and trade. I don't think things could have worked out very differently (unless he was Zach Wilson bad)

honestly they may not be in a terrible position anyway. maybe work a trade like 8 and Jones for Fields and a 2025 second? 8 would be extortion for Fields considering he'll need a deal, but the premium is to offload Jones' contract. and I think Fields would be pretty good-very good under Daboll. maybe they could drop from 8 to ~20 and move that for Fields. there are several thousand possibilities.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Look I love Tommy DeVito too but let's slow our roll here

Jones isn't going anywhere till after next year unless some dumbass team trades for him. As bad as Jones looked, he mostly spent his time this season playing against the gauntlet that was the early schedule without Andrew Thomas or Saquon to help ease his misery.

We lost Jones for the year right before the team actually faced the easier portion of the schedule. Jones, healthy all year, would probably have us with basically the same record we have now. He can beat Washington, he could have beaten the Patriots, he might have even beaten the Packers. DeVito hasn't been picking apart world beaters in these past 3 weeks. He's not some diamond in the rough like Brock Purdy, yet. The defense has mostly been winning these past few games

I still think it's likely the Giants draft a QB, sit him behind Jones to start next year, and DeVito stays QB 3 unless something major happens like injury.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jones is garbage and would have lost most of these games pretty easily. He's not going anywhere, but the Giants would most likely be picking top 5 this year under him.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I tend to agree with you Febreeze that (1) Jones isn't going anywhere til after next season, whether he's the starter or riding the pine, and (2) he got pretty hosed by the o-line being absolute garbage for the first few weeks + Thomas and Saquon getting hurt + facing a brutal schedule + tearing his ACL right as the scheduled softened. But at the same time, whenever he had his chances, he just would not throw the ball, or would bail too quickly. And it's kind of an indictment on Jones that there's even an argument about who's better, him or a UDFA who a month ago wasn't even trusted to throw the ball one time.

I have no idea what they'll do at QB in the off-season. But my best guess at the moment, is come August it'll be DeVito or [insert rookie here] in a QB competition vs. Jones. Because either DeVito will turn into a pumpkin and they'll move closer to a top pick, or he'll keep looking good and make it easy for the team to say "let's give him a fair chance to earn the starter role"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Comedy option: Washington signs Daniel Jones as a back up and the Giants work a trade for Zach Wilson

I'm getting heavy Minshew Mania vibes right now from Devito.

EDIT:

My boss is a big Dallas Cowboys fan who likes to talk a lot and he was more pissed off today that Tyreek Hill and Ryan Mostert cost him a fantasy football game than he was happy that the COwboys beat the living christ out of the Eagles. He didn't even take the time to gloat or give me any poo poo this week. I swear, the ONLY football he talked about yesterday and today was his stupid fantasy team.

Kind of tells me all I need to know about your basic Dallas fan.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 13, 2023

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
It reminds me of Linsanity or that year Tebow had a weird run where he completed 10 passes a game but the Broncos kept winning anyway. Won’t last forever but it has injected some fun into an otherwise miserable Giants season

e: oh I guess someone already mentioned Linsanity. Well, I agree then

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ace Jameson posted:

It reminds me of Linsanity or that year Tebow had a weird run where he completed 10 passes a game but the Broncos kept winning anyway. Won’t last forever but it has injected some fun into an otherwise miserable Giants season

Except in Tebow's case there was a certain amount of hype, he had a solid fan base and he was picked high in the draft. The Devito poo poo reminds me of Minshew's time in Jax because they're both kind of eccentric and colorful, had no draft pick related expectations and have kind of flashed a little bit for a lovely team.

The Linsanity comparison is pretty spot on though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
NY media is absurdly bad and they overhype any NY player in a similar vein to the other big markets around the country. DeVito would be a non-story if he was anywhere without a big Italian-American population.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tebow's playoff win with Denver was high art

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BiggerBoat posted:

Comedy option: Washington signs Daniel Jones as a back up and the Giants work a trade for Zach Wilson

I'm getting heavy Minshew Mania vibes right now from Devito.

EDIT:

My boss is a big Dallas Cowboys fan who likes to talk a lot and he was more pissed off today that Tyreek Hill and Ryan Mostert cost him a fantasy football game than he was happy that the COwboys beat the living christ out of the Eagles. He didn't even take the time to gloat or give me any poo poo this week. I swear, the ONLY football he talked about yesterday and today was his stupid fantasy team.

Kind of tells me all I need to know about your basic Dallas fan.

Fantasy ruins football.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Doltos posted:

NY media is absurdly bad and they overhype any NY player in a similar vein to the other big markets around the country. DeVito would be a non-story if he was anywhere without a big Italian-American population.

Conversely, it only works because of the comedy stereotype of northern new jersey greater metro italian americans. I.E. white trailer dweller forever reliving state championship from 1987 Gardner Minshew would never work or become a meme on a northern new jersey greater metro team. However if a Pine Barrens team existed for some reason...

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

Jones is garbage and would have lost most of these games pretty easily. He's not going anywhere, but the Giants would most likely be picking top 5 this year under him.

He would have beaten Washington twice. The team only had to put up 14 points to win that first game and the second game was turnover city against a team that has given up, defense won both of those.

Patriots game all we needed was 10 points, he could have done that.

Packers game is the only one I think that likely flips. Tommy has been good at not taking sacks, Jones is bad at that. Outside the Cardinals game in week 2, all we needed for most of these wins was a mediocre game manager against bad teams and Jones could manage that every year

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Did we all just decide to collectively forget how bad Jones was? The OL being bad doesn’t make him stare down his first option for 20 seconds before deciding to run.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Asproigerosis posted:

Conversely, it only works because of the comedy stereotype of northern new jersey greater metro italian americans. I.E. white trailer dweller forever reliving state championship from 1987 Gardner Minshew would never work or become a meme on a northern new jersey greater metro team. However if a Pine Barrens team existed for some reason...

DeVito's family is putting it on. No one acts like that here and if they do they're like the one person in their friends group that's probably getting made fun of for being overly goomba.

Febreeze posted:

He would have beaten Washington twice. The team only had to put up 14 points to win that first game and the second game was turnover city against a team that has given up, defense won both of those.

Patriots game all we needed was 10 points, he could have done that.

Packers game is the only one I think that likely flips. Tommy has been good at not taking sacks, Jones is bad at that. Outside the Cardinals game in week 2, all we needed for most of these wins was a mediocre game manager against bad teams and Jones could manage that every year

That's all well and good he might have been able to do that except he was literally the worst QB in the league this year without any real competition and that includes Tim Boyle so I'll give the second Washington game to the Commanders.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Either way I don't think you can immediately go "back to Jones" once he's 100% now. Even if the call ultimately is to go back to starting him, it's no longer an instant-reaction/can't second guess it thing. You know what you've seen in him, and you've just seen it replicated (at least for a stretch) by an undrafted rookie for $159mil less

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

So typically I get off a few good "THROW IT DANNYS" per pass play. 3-4 is typical before he either gets clobbered or checks in down or starts to run. Last night I was only really able to get off one or two "THROW IT TOMMYS" per pass play. The ball just comes out quicker. That's the difference.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Doltos posted:

DeVito's family is putting it on. No one acts like that here and if they do they're like the one person in their friends group that's probably getting made fun of for being overly goomba.

That's all well and good he might have been able to do that except he was literally the worst QB in the league this year without any real competition and that includes Tim Boyle so I'll give the second Washington game to the Commanders.

Yeah that's what I mean, it's the carnival clownshow stereotype that's getting the draw from this. Nobody would care if he was some Brooklyn hipster or whatever of the lame bad not fun stereotypes that exist in New York (admittedly not my area of expertise).

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Part of it is the nature of the most Italian fanbase getting one of their own as a show but honestly while DeVito still isn't amazing it is remarkable how many strides he's taken in such a short time. When he was forced into the Jets game the coaches basically refused to even call a pass and give him a chance to throw, and now he's scrambling well, getting the ball out on time, and his out of pocket strike to Hodgins against the packers was genuinely great.

I don't know what his ceiling is but it's nice to see

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
like i'm gonna trust anybody with the last name rappoccio on the viability of an unproven italian quarterback

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Febreeze posted:

Part of it is the nature of the most Italian fanbase getting one of their own as a show but honestly while DeVito still isn't amazing it is remarkable how many strides he's taken in such a short time. When he was forced into the Jets game the coaches basically refused to even call a pass and give him a chance to throw, and now he's scrambling well, getting the ball out on time, and his out of pocket strike to Hodgins against the packers was genuinely great.

I think Philly might be more italian than NYC at this point tbqh

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

The last one we had was Testaverde

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Diqnol posted:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

those italian flag patches are so cringe

reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso&t=13s

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 13, 2023

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Febreeze posted:

I feel like we just went through this with Dobbs and the Vikings. Let's give them a few more weeks.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Now that there's tape of him doing Quarterback Things we might see soon what appears to be a regression. We'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diqnol posted:

Not even close. https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/italian-population-by-state

Yet another thing Philly tries to claim but has no stake in the game. Rocky was Italian, your lovely, crybaby coach and his goomba enforcer are Italian, but the city is predominately African-American.

Also any Italian American that wears the Italia patch is a poser that most likely doesn't speak a lick of Italian and is the equivalent to your Irish friend that wears green once a year.