Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gimme some cum lawdy

edit: best snipe

Real hurthling! posted:

east 90s
the further east you go the cheaper the garage rates, tho cheaper is only a relative term. but to the west, up on the hill, closer by the park and madison ave, the rates are astronomical

aren't you right by the wealthiest area of the city? well upper east side, which is the certainly one of the wealthiest

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Real hurthling! posted:

my wife and 6yo are in a suicide pact to become rollerskate mavens or get owned trying and its been p cute so far knock on wood

do y’all mostly use central park? i know there are some quite decent tennis and basketball courts around there too you can use. (well, there were this time last year while I was still dating someone over there)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^
yeah the no-cars ringroad is where we do all our wheeled activities cause i dont feel comfortable with the little one in traffic.

theres like 20-30 tennis courts both clay and cement just north of the reservoir you need to reserve them in the morning and wait until your time to play later i think they are free but you cant skate there. the basketball courts are south of the reservoir, north of the great lawn and are not formally organized so you could skate there if theres nobody playing

actionjackson posted:

aren't you right by the wealthiest area of the city? well upper east side, which is the certainly one of the wealthiest

the wealthiest part is called carnegie hill and its the 3-4 blocks closest to central park on the western edge

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Dec 13, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the wealthiest part is called carnegie hill and its the 3-4 blocks closest to central park on the western edge
can osmand tell you how to get there?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

^^
yeah the no-cars ringroad is where we do all our wheeled activities cause i dont feel comfortable with the little one in traffic.

theres like 20-30 tennis courts both clay and cement just north of the reservoir you need to reserve them in the morning and wait until your time to play later i think they are free but you cant skate there. the basketball courts are south of the reservoir, north of the great lawn and are not formally organized so you could skate there if theres nobody playing

ok but upper east side is still super rich - i'm just surprised parking isn't more given it's right next to you (if i'm reading a map correctly)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

actionjackson posted:

ok but upper east side is still super rich - i'm just surprised parking isn't more given it's right next to you (if i'm reading a map correctly)

i and multiple friends have been poor in east harlem tho

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKCR7kQMTQ

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

^^

money in the bag please

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
Car-tastrophe underway in Rhode Island as the main bridge across the Seekonk river was suddenly closed just before rush hour yesterday.

https://twitter.com/FitzProv/status/1734705805448937593?t=mLNiRSNd8Vmh9rnYov768g&s=19

https://twitter.com/MattPaddockTV/status/1734691437630160899?t=jLVdxOYEOJ8QnCF5rtVNzA&s=19

This bridge has a lovely separated bike path (which is still open) that connects the east bay area into Providence proper yet in the coming days I'm quite certain tens of thousands of people will sit in traffic for 3+ hours instead.

sillyloquy has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Dec 13, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sillyloquy posted:

This bridge has a lovely separated bike path (which is still open) that connects the east bay area into Providence proper yet in the coming days I'm quite certain tens of thousands of people will sit in traffic for 3+ hours instead.

BRB, starting a rickshaw service.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

BRB, starting a rickshaw service.

thoughts???

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mystes posted:

Also there's no single answer to how much bike directions should weight things to prefer stuff like bike paths
Make it a toggle. "Prefer dedicated bike paths? No, shortest route please." I can tell it "no toll roads" for car directions. I can tell it "no buses" for public transport. It has these kind of options.

Although the public transport options are worse now than they used to be. The "quickest/least walking/fewest transfers" toggle does basically nothing now, whereas it used to actually work, so I don't know what's happened there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I do wish there was a public transit routing that allowed for a multi-modal path involving using a bike to get to the bus. Many transit agencies have bike racks on the front of the buses so it's a valid way to get to your first connection.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

sillyloquy posted:

Car-tastrophe underway in Rhode Island as the main bridge across the Seekonk river was suddenly closed just before rush hour yesterday.

https://twitter.com/FitzProv/status/1734705805448937593?t=mLNiRSNd8Vmh9rnYov768g&s=19

https://twitter.com/MattPaddockTV/status/1734691437630160899?t=jLVdxOYEOJ8QnCF5rtVNzA&s=19

God I would love to bike by that and just look into each parked car and see the misery of each driver

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone in traffic today was running sweet, sweet leaded fuel on city streets.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the mercedes ornament lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wastefully empty seat

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FirstnameLastname posted:

visibility goes to poo poo at dusk, especially if you're facing directly into or away from the sunset

the chart was taken from the same NYT article as this one:

my guess is that it's definitely smartphones / infotainment systems which are significantly more dangerous and distracting at night, but strangely Americans seem to be afflicted the most

and prime-age working population is suffering the most:

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 14:00 on Dec 13, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GI Joe jobs posted:

Apparently cars can just run away from the police:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts31e-keoPU
Until they get an air unit tasked up and then you go to prison for a while. It's fine to drive drunk and even kill peds, but if you inconvenience cops they'll actually do some repression.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

List of Anti-Car Thread Public Enemies:
Deep Purple
Sammy Hagar

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

List of Anti-Car Thread Public Enemies:
Deep Purple
Sammy Hagar

we used to be cool with diamond dave, before Panama at least

quote:

Roth wrote the song after being accused by a reporter of "singing about only women, partying, and fast cars". He realized he had never written a song about fast cars and decided to write one.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32AMAKXATmU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0KpfrJE4zw

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
Bridgepocalypse update

https://twitter.com/ncarpenterpda/status/1734933523797045549?t=J5oJx-hZLl1jEIYWe12WfA&s=19

This is like a 15 minute bike ride through the most beautiful part of Providence but we're going to "try it by car today".

Picture of the actual commute:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

is all of Providence that flat? Incredible.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

is all of Providence that flat? Incredible.

It's not I promise

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's a mix of hills and marshland so it's either very flat or very hilly with not a ton of in-between.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
i'm going to go ride my bike to the office christmas party, eat a bunch of food and head home

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

back when I lived in OTtawa, I had a great "wow this is what post car living could be like" when I biked to amateur wrestling, drank lots of beer, then biked to the LRT which took me close enough to my house that the drunk bike home was 0% dangerous

since then the LRT was revealed to have square wheels and not to function in the snow and cold (and also the tunnels flood and smell like trash)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Winter cycling tips, not all specifically endorsed by me but they all at least bring up serious considerations to make when developing your own solutions by identifying the problems they're trying to solve and solutions for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LXNNU1hNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4oo_UE8lPY

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
I should pick up a ski helmet for the cold commutes tbh but then I will need to get another EVT mirror!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

explains kIdS dOnT gO oUtSiDe AnYmOrE in one easy graph

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Clark Nova posted:

explains kIdS dOnT gO oUtSiDe AnYmOrE in one easy graph

Seems like it's more of an effect of that than a cause? Under 18 deaths are way down

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
they staying inside riding the zwift machine instead of sticking out their necks for cars to run over them

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

I should pick up a ski helmet for the cold commutes tbh but then I will need to get another EVT mirror!
I wear a regular bike helmet with a balaclava.

I'm lucky though and even -2-5 or so centigrade my ears seem fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

teethgrinder posted:

I wear a regular bike helmet with a balaclava.

Those are illegal in Philly now. Also Atlanta.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

1. 12% of households in Greater Manila Area (GMA) own at least one car. 88% don't own a car.

2. Traffic congestion happens nationwide but the chronic problem happens majority in NCR and extends up to GMA.

3. Spatial framework in discussing this problem is important due for 2 reasons: 10% of PH popn is only in NCR but the GDP is roughtly 1/3 of PH's, and almost half for entire GMA. This makes this discussion critical - how is the structural infra framework set in place? How will the public or private proponents be modeled? This is not as easy as remove all cars and we'll all be happy.

4. Most, if not all, public infra, favor private cars bcos the decision-makers and policymakers are car-centric as well. Point here is -- how can we expect change when policymakers themselves enable car-centric devt.

5. This begs the question then, if the public will resort to commuting, where will they settle? MRT? Jeeps? P2P? Which seem to be congested most of the time? How will you encourage dignified commuting with absent physical integration? No uniform service integration? and most of all, lacking institutional integration?

My point? You are all barking at the wrong tree. Every citizen who buys cars are tied in the same systemic violence that is institutionally auspiced by the policymakers themselves. Yes, let's advocate for car-less society, but let us not gain more enemies by vilifying motorists. We are all in the same boat here.

Mass transport is the answer. Mass action is the key. Dislodge biased and incompetent policymakers. Elect champions and advocates. Do not easily point and vilify citizens and businesses unless proven influential in the entire system.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
concerning

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have the shittiest chain on my bike right now, huge tolerances, but when I shift all of the rollers and plates jingle together and it sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog losing rings.

So it’s cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you put all the cars that only 12% of people own (drat I wish that were true here) into the same boat and sank it, that could become true.