Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Their take on arcade mode is out finally, at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVMEGOc9C4

Still waiting on tornado tags though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh cool a new update with some much needed content I can't wait to -

... oh.

They really couldn't make this a free addition next to the paid wrestler dlc's? The "prizes" kinda look like poo poo too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i think the beat the elite expansion might be cringe

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

explosivo posted:

Oh cool a new update with some much needed content I can't wait to -

... oh.

They really couldn't make this a free addition next to the paid wrestler dlc's? The "prizes" kinda look like poo poo too.

Tony needs to give the rights for Fight Forever to Larian Studios.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CM Punk gets -1d10 on all agility checks

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Punk's Charisma is 16, but his Stamina and Strength are 4. He has weaknesses to people younger than him, glass, and diving. Every game day that passes you have to roll to see if he attacks another member of the party

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Now that I think about it he's basically the Dark Urge.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lucifunk posted:

Punk's Charisma is 16, but his Stamina and Strength are 4. He has weaknesses to people younger than him, glass, and diving. Every game day that passes you have to roll to see if he attacks another member of the party

right lol so just a normal dark urge run.

Ace Steel is his butler goblin guy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

quote:

Beat The Elite is the second DLC drop of Season 2 in AEW Fight Forever. It introduces a new single player game mode called "Beat The Elite" in which players face 10 randomly selected talents from the roster. The last match will always be against one wrestler from “The Elite”. Winning all 10 matches will reward the player with different in-game cosmetic items, depending on the difficulty setting it has been completed in.

Beat The Elite DLC is available now for #AEWFightForever on XBOX, PlayStation and PC today! Nintendo Switch to follow.

Beat The Elite is part of the Season Pass 2 which includes: 3 more talents added to the roster, 37 brand-new move-sets, 60 new attire parts for your wrestler, the Dynamite arena, and a new single-player mode.

I bought Season 2, because I have adult money to waste and why not. This should have been in the base game, but whatever. Just having some sort of goal will help get me back into the game I think.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How many of those 60 new attire parts are just camo textures for existing parts

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Gavok posted:

I'm writing a piece on hard boss battles and it has me thinking, who's the hardest final boss in a wrestling game?

I never played it, but I remember hearing how Jarrett in the TNA game was some special kind of Hell. Then there's the special Undertaker and John Cena boss modes in the 2K games.

Master Barnes is up there just because 3 Count Bout is virtually unplayable to begin with.

I remember having a ton of trouble with HBK in a cage match at the end of WWF Wrestlemania 2000's story mode. Could have just been me at the time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone listed out anywhere what those 37 new move sets are? Are they for existing AEW wrestlers or are there some NJPW/WWE/etc ones in there?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why the gently caress is the first match on easy so hard? I have a feeling that East on Beat The Elite is not really easy.

Apparently difficulty is not aligned with difficulty at the overall system level.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 14, 2023

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I beat it on easy. It appears to default to the higher difficulty if the system level is set to it?

Half way through it allowed me to play an optional mini game to win another retry. It was unclear if losing would cause me to lose a retry.

I faced Nick Jackson in the last match. I won and I got a confetti celebration win.

It then said I unlocked some shirts and an alternative wrestler skin. I have no idea what I actually unlocked though. I have no desire to go into the CAW and see what’s new now. It also marked the east difficulty as cleared.

You can save your progress. But the gameplay is reminding me that it’s not deep enough to want to play 10 matches in a row.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If you’re a pro member, aew ff is
20 at gamestop today

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I've been playing WWE2k23 with my nephew it'd my first wrestling game since SNES. Is it just countering eachother endlessly for versus or am I missing some key feature? It feels really bad to just constantly press triangle and reverse every single move.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that’s how the 2k games work from the little I’ve seen and played them, they’re Not Great in that respect.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You have a certain number banked and I think there’s a setting you can use to quicken or slow regen, you can just turn off limits altogether, but afaik there’s no way of making reversal ability opaque / random the way it is in FPW or the old games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fight Forever being one of the 14 games featured on the Steam Winter Sale trailer was pretty surprising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C0l4519tkA&t=32s

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 15, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

You have a certain number banked and I think there’s a setting you can use to quicken or slow regen, you can just turn off limits altogether, but afaik there’s no way of making reversal ability opaque / random the way it is in FPW or the old games.

they took away limited counters for 2k23.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/AEWGames/status/1737835322937901256?s=20

added about a half dozen new trunks to CAW

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

that's what they should keep doing - just patch after patch of more CAW parts.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

more match types good good... FOR STADIUM STAMPEDE ffs!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

match types I'd like see added

Death Match

Dog Collar Match

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Match

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Did they add like one pair of shorts but it has 12 different variations of camo pattern for no good reason?

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I'm out here just wishing they'd add multi-man ladder matches and tornado tag rules. Wtf do we need team SS match for?

Cage match maybe?! Seriously, should be wrestling game 101

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I just read the patch notes and they literally added 3 CAW parts, this game is cooked.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've moved past the "this is one of the things I hate about modern gaming, stuff's released ASAP to hit a deadline and they come with patches to make basic or seemingly-basic stuff work that should have worked from the start" phase and to the "oh okay so this game was just never gonna work if this is what they thought needed fixing or got complaints" phase

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

I've moved past the "this is one of the things I hate about modern gaming, stuff's released ASAP to hit a deadline and they come with patches to make basic or seemingly-basic stuff work that should have worked from the start" phase and to the "oh okay so this game was just never gonna work if this is what they thought needed fixing or got complaints" phase

It's really odd to think the problem might have been Yuke's all along, but it's really starting to feel like it.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 21, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I dunno, the main problem is depth of content not the quality of what’s there (even the CAW would be alright if it just had more poo poo to CAW with) and that seems the real time and money sink.

Game is great they just stopped making it too soon and/or ran out of money.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

In the good old days you'd drop a fairly shallow game (remember how extremely lackluster Smackdown 1's CAWs were?) and pretty quickly iterate onto the next one that builds way more depth and refinement

which is to say I'd kill for the alternate reality where a 2nd game would just come out with the depth leap of Smackdown 2, and a matching endless career mode

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

The337th posted:

which is to say I'd kill for the alternate reality where a 2nd game would just come out with the depth leap of Smackdown 2, and a matching endless career mode

TO THE BACK!

*Renee cutscene about a random wrestler not waiting for opportunities anymore*

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Golden Bee posted:

TO THE BACK!

*Renee cutscene about a random wrestler not waiting for opportunities anymore*

Is this better or worse than pizza.jpg, the current option

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The337th posted:

In the good old days you'd drop a fairly shallow game (remember how extremely lackluster Smackdown 1's CAWs were?) and pretty quickly iterate onto the next one that builds way more depth and refinement

smackdown 2 was hilarious, over the cours of a month I started tagging with Road Dog, he betrayed me, then him and xpac started beating me down and then I started teaming with xpac against Road Dog.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The337th posted:

Unfortunately I think we're pretty well past the era when you could iterate a title, on the cheap, on an annual basis, with substantial improvements (hell, in the days of Win 95 a team of a dozen devs could churn out multiple full games in a year). We talk like the need for brand new expensive art assets to keep up with current trends is the real cost burden keeping the model down, but I'm not sure it is.

Even beyond sports games I think the shine is coming off of live service games as a development innovation in the industry; there was that period from like '08 to '18 where the model of paid episodic content -- Telltale, Hitman -- was tried out, and it seemed a pretty resounding business failure outside of the really scrappy indies like the Until Dawn-type horror QTE games. Telltale collapsed entirely; Hitman 1 underperformed as an explicitly episodic game and only survived to make 2 and 3 (which ditched the staggered level releases) because Epic Games subsidized development in return for exclusivity. Even now, with Hitman 3 a pretty big hit, the free content they pump out is pretty niche; substantial development has basically stopped now that IO have the Bond license. I'd be curious to know if they'd go back to Hitman 4 with the same live game sort of mentality.

Worse than that, the anti-trust lawsuits around big game publisher mergers actually revealed that had Bungie not been bought out by Sony, they very likely would have shuttered despite making the only non-GTA live service game considered a big hit. The math just doesn't seem to work.

All of which is to say that, all things being equal, we should expect and demand a fully featured game, in terms of content, on its launch. There's no feasible long-term pipeline that exists to make a game seem like it could be a grower. What we need from YUKES is a promise for a new game with more stuff. But again, I'm not sure even a good dev team (which I don't think YUKES is) can accomplish a ton on one year's timetable.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

projecthalaxy posted:

Is this better or worse than pizza.jpg, the current option
The food stuff is such unique weirdness they should double down on it next game. Get some really good 3d scans of the pizza, five times as many dietary choices in the options, a storyline where my CAW gets to appear on Thunder Rosa's taco vlog

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

they just need 5 or 6 foods per location then it would be perfect.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hell yeah Johnny gave away a Beat the Elite code and I redeemed it so I can try that mode next time I boot up the PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
everyone is lucky embracer group hasnt let everyone involved in the AEW game go like all the other game studios they're shuttering