Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really didn't start intentionally doing tasks until I had the +80% income and was able to do other things that wasn't in service of getting more money. A lot of them I just incidentally completed through leveling things. I also barely looked at the casual tasks unless I needed the money because those didn't seem worth chasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
At the very bottom of the gold coin store you can buy hats, chest, boots and gloves for each skill. Each piece is gives you +2% exp on that skill with a bonus for the full set. They unlock at 20, 40, 60, and 80 tasks complete and level in its respective skill. The cost is 100k gold which is chump change now, but wasn't chump change the first month. You can combine all the hat/chest/gloves/whatever of all the different skills which is like a 14 bank slots savings.... But wait no you can't because that requires Township lvl 95 (already achieved) and 95 tasks complete (like 4-6 months of play I napkin mathed a few tasks out and the vibes were hosed).

The township tasks are p good. The cash injections they provide in early game is substantial. The material rewards can provide for a productive night long idle. It feels into itself pretty well. I did the eyeball chain and the Pigtale task together which brought my Slayer level up. Gave me enough Portax seeds to turn my brain off and just slam that herb for eternity. Carrots are being farmed in perpetuity for its elite task.

Township as a skill is a draining gold sink for such a long time. So it's probably for the best you held off until you felt comfortable with gold generation. Your outputs come from building a trader and using that to turn township material into player items which you can consume or sell. This is the second output mechanism, Tasks were the first, and taxation is the third.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Tortolia posted:

Some of the tasks give money and other useful items!

Mostly money. But I am using the Pigtayle seeds for a task later on that I think gives Barrentoe?

But yeah, there's also this one task I'm eyeing the gently caress out of where I give a few elder dragonhides (as well as killing elder dragons) for more hides and the rarest weapon you can get out of the Elder Chest (which I can farm while getting elder dragons).

Not to mention the other various tasks that more or less give you more than what you put in.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Casual Task reward scales with Township level. Right now my casual tasks are rewarding me 3mil gold for doing things that take 5-20 minutes. It's actually the main way I'm keeping up cash without the tax. My main cash grabbers were Woodcutting, Smithing, and combat using the Golbin Their summon synergies.

Fuckin such a good number game. We all went about it back assward from each other and still maintained parity.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It’s absolutely worth looking at casual tasks with some frequency, since A) some are incredibly low hanging fruit, and B) the rewards do scale.

Sometimes I flip to that tab and get 4+ million gold for turning in a pair of leather gloves or 20 iron bars. Sometimes it’s a set of tier 4 potions with a recipe I haven’t even unlocked or 3k gold stardust and I click the skip button. Even if the gold isn’t a big deal the slayer coin rewards for the combat tasks are pretty nice since those also scale based on slayer level; I got 57000 coins yesterday for beating up 10 master farmers while using a steel shield. Easy stuff.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nah dude, there's no sweet way for Barrentoe or Magic Tree Seeds. Magic Tree Seeds especially is just a fuckin joke I'm never gonna see 300 of them shits in my life unless I go kill 100,000,00 Farmer Bobs or crack open 100,000,000 birds nests.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thieving is actually probably the best way to get that one done, and Bob is a pretty high value thieving idle anyway for strawberry seeds for thieving stealth potions.

That said I’m only at like 112 of those since I hit 99 mastery on planting the trees and have a stockpile of like 80k magic logs.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone play Incremental Epic Hero 2 (IEH2)? It's pretty good...

...once I edited a half dozen things including removing the epic store entirely. Still threw them some cash for the good game though. A lot of the negative reviews are cause of the in game purchases but even not hacking in stuff you get a steady stream of the currency. I just gave myself a billion...

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

CIFI just dropped a big update if anyone hasn't checked in a while

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Watch out "Microcivilizations" in Steam. is a hybrid clicker-idle game simulating a civilization. The game has many "game over" like conditions where your civilization collapse, but you only really lose people, not tech level.. so you can quickly regains then again.
Is a fun game and really pretty.

Anyone else played this? It showed up in my queue, has pretty good reviews, just a bit concerned it might turn into a Realm Grinder where the only way to advance is either do an insane amount of tweaking or just Google strategies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i played the demo a couple of months ago and none of the numbers get anywhere near the scale that causes those kinds of bottlenecks.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Shredder posted:

CIFI just dropped a big update if anyone hasn't checked in a while

That content is so far away from where I'm at, I don't know if i have it in me to basically just do Zeus loops for however long without unlocking anything remotely new for awhile. At ~e268 MP and it's over e1000 to unlock the planet that gets you the thing to unlock Ouroboros. I don't think there's anything new in the part of the game I'm in.

Unless there's something that will ratchet that up, that's a long rear end grind for me.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Deki posted:

That content is so far away from where I'm at, I don't know if i have it in me to basically just do Zeus loops for however long without unlocking anything remotely new for awhile. At ~e268 MP and it's over e1000 to unlock the planet that gets you the thing to unlock Ouroboros. I don't think there's anything new in the part of the game I'm in.

Unless there's something that will ratchet that up, that's a long rear end grind for me.

ha well poo poo I'm at like e66 MP. I'm not sure I will ever see this stuff, I feel like this game is geared towards people running in emulators leaving it open 24/7 and not casual toilet phone clickers like myself, same with ISEPS.

I'm still trying to find something that suits me, I really dug egg inc and spaceplan, most of this poo poo is either way too complex, super grindy or overly monetized. I just wanna click stuff like a filthy casual without breaking out my wallet or excel.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Deki posted:

Around e300-310 mp you should get last projects done to get Loopers badge, and e350 research soon after, which will trigger burst phase that shoots you up to ~e980 mp. But yeah, you're at the point where you need to do a long Zeus (to rank him up to get enough Darkseid from 3-8 campaign mission) run to get projects for the badge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sayara posted:

Around e300-310 mp you should get last projects done to get Loopers badge, and e350 research soon after, which will trigger burst phase that shoots you up to ~e980 mp. But yeah, you're at the point where you need to do a long Zeus (to rank him up to get enough Darkseid from 3-8 campaign mission) run to get projects for the badge.

... stuff like this makes me wonder if this is performance art sometimes. Is CIFI on android worth giving a go if I'm not willing to throw money at a game, or does it need cheatengine cash boosts to make playable long-term?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Randalor posted:

... stuff like this makes me wonder if this is performance art sometimes. Is CIFI on android worth giving a go if I'm not willing to throw money at a game, or does it need cheatengine cash boosts to make playable long-term?

It depends. If you're more of an idle type of guy you'll probably do fine wihout IAPs. If you're active I'd be ready to lay down $2 to get rid of ads, as chests for two currencies are fairly big deal, and watching 2 minutes of ads every 5 minutes just sucks rear end.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Sayara posted:

It depends. If you're more of an idle type of guy you'll probably do fine wihout IAPs. If you're active I'd be ready to lay down $2 to get rid of ads, as chests for two currencies are fairly big deal, and watching 2 minutes of ads every 5 minutes just sucks rear end.

yeah i gave them the money for no ads but haven't felt the need to do otherwise, they even have a channel on the discord for macroing the chests if you desire (which defeats the purpose of the auto chest iap they sell)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Epic Gamestore has a free pack for D&D Idle and I like that slop and those free packs usually give me a good 3 hour dopamine hit before I burn through the free goodies and lose interest.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Melvor Milestone: I got my first artisonal batch of Dragon Javilans cooking right now. Yoooo I'm so hype. I've got the smithing portion done for like 26000 actions which should be a good 12 hours of processing before I introduce preservation into the napkin math. Bottleneck is the redwoodlogs and I chopped enough to get my first 100 million lump sum.

I still have further optimization to do. I just remembered Astrology, so i dumped my entire mastery xp pool into the bow one, brought me to lvl 92 before I lost heart at the bonus. It'll be fine tho, next time I do astrology it'll fill right back up. I still gotta unlock the Beaver summon. I still gotta get 99 mastery. I gotta get the herblore potion from tier 3 to tier 4. I gotta do the god dungeons. But tonight I got what the tool tip tells me is 1.5 hours of product. I wanna see how that stacks up with omega optimized wiki solution.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone here try (the) Gnorp Apologue? Looks pretty neat!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

explosivo posted:

Oh yeah this is delightful

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Melvor, Cartography; jesus christ it takes forever and a ton of goddamn paper to upgrade these dig site maps. Just had my first map run out of charges while searching for the ancient tool parts so now I have to make one from scratch and upgrade it all the way from Poor :smith:

So far this has been pretty lucrative though, found a lot of gear for both combat and non-combat skills and you get a decent amount of bank slot tokens which is always good.

Edit:

explosivo posted:

this is great btw

explosivo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 15, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

explosivo posted:

gnorp

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Nthing Gnorp. This is neat.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I assume Gnorp doesn't have offline progress, so are the runs short enough to make up for that? I've been unable to get into idlers without offline progress in the past but that looks extremely charming.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Are Melvor and Ironwood RPG distinct enough that people are playing both? I see Melvor has paid expansions, are those worth getting? Ive been playing Ironwood casually for a bit but at a glance it looks like Melvor has a lot more systems in place to gently caress around with. I wish there was more automation available in Ironwood and it looks like Melvor might have that but is it mostly from 3rd party mods?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
For Melvor I've enjoyed the paid expansions, but I didn't interact with them until 1 month in, so if you want to try base game you won't miss out on sick gains. It is far more intricate than Ironwood. I didn't have the patience to play both.

Also because Ironwood has the multiplayer component, you can't/shouldn't really modify it. Melvor being solely single player has a robust modding collection that you can plug in right from the client.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

I assume Gnorp doesn't have offline progress, so are the runs short enough to make up for that? I've been unable to get into idlers without offline progress in the past but that looks extremely charming.

While you can certainly sit around and wait for stuff it seems to (so far) be closer to the "puzzler" kind of incremental than the "idler". Runs are short and you're encouraged to experiment around with different build configurations frequently.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Melvor’s expansions are both good but at different levels of progression.

TotH is the high end content expansion, so skill levels 100-120 and associated content for everything at those tiers. That said the game has a bundle with the base game and ToTH that’s usually only like 8 bucks on sale so it doesn’t hurt to snag it, and some of the passive skills actually get into those level ranges relatively quickly. Of worth noting, the TotH gear for high combat skills requires you to complete the base game dungeons first, so there is some throttling there.

Atlas of Discovery is a more all-levels expansion. The combat content it adds covers all levels, cartography can give a bunch of useful items/buffs and ultimately global boosts and bank slots; archaeology unlocks useful gear and items. The only wrinkles are that cartography can be a bit expensive goldwise, and the barrier mechanic on monsters forces you to create summon tablets to deal with them, so it’s potentially a resource hit to deal with. Not too bad though. I read as well that the Unholy Prayers mechanics can also let you cheese some of the harder base game dungeon bosses for progression.

I think the early feedback on Atlas was a bit rough but they worked on tweaking barrier at the lower end of combat to make it less of a roadblock to the expansion.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 15, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Question for CIFI: Is it better to do short (sub-10mp) loops for small gains, or do longer loops to push for the more expensive unlocks like higher generators early on?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

explosivo posted:

gnorp

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Randalor posted:

Question for CIFI: Is it better to do short (sub-10mp) loops for small gains, or do longer loops to push for the more expensive unlocks like higher generators early on?

It's been five months since I did that, but I think I did some short resets with longer onex mixed in. Just remember that there's a soft cap with loop resets, as loop requirement for reseting keeps growing, and that will force you to do longer resets if you hit that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Melvor’s expansions are both good but at different levels of progression.

Barrier monsters in the map expansion are bullshit.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I might be at the point in my Melvor journey where maybe I should mod. Base game with no expacs yet for me, but which are the mods that'd make my Melvor Idle experience a little better? If not more focused?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

widespread posted:

So I might be at the point in my Melvor journey where maybe I should mod. Base game with no expacs yet for me, but which are the mods that'd make my Melvor Idle experience a little better? If not more focused?

These are the ones I'm using, none of them feel overly cheaty to me. I bolded the ones I'd highly recommend. There's a lot of the Semi mods and they're almost all useful so I'd say peruse those and grab all the ones that sound good to you.

ETA
SEMI automation mods (most of them are super useful)
Show item owned indicator
Show skill modifiers
Better summoning menu
Item Uses
Sidebar Mastery Pool
Quickshards
Better offline recap
Combat Indicators
Quick Donate Artefacts
Will I die
Priority Miner
Upgrade all potions

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah the Gnorp game is really great. Just having the big numbers be tangible objects on screen is very cool and there's a real sense of mystery that develops as you start poking at new systems. Super easy to swap loadouts around and try new strategies with very little downtime before they get going. Soundtrack is excellent too. We'll see where it goes by the end but right now it seems like a real gem for incremental fans.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Ironwood RPG goon guild: I dunno if Crell reads this thread, but you might as well buy all the bones if you want that Guild Hall to finish. Everybody is using theirs for the new enchanting thing probably.

GooBoo: It's a lot more idle for me at my level now (global level 509), with my Mining runs taking several days, and my Village/Horde runs taking over a week. New farm is much more idle too with a premium sprinkler for overgrow and the new Giant gene. The 5th feature is still pretty active though, with a couple of the resources having a high production but low cap. The 5th feature has kept me going so if anyone was close to it and quit, I would try it out.

I also edited in all the rewards from the event because it was bullshit, and I also gave myself 400 of a newer resource in Mining (Ember) because the best way to get it was super active short runs and I didn't want to do it and just wanted to get back to the idle gameplay.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I've been enjoying the Advent idle, thanks thread.

I just unlocked the Factory, and the Factory Edit does not seem to work at all -- is anyone else experiencing that? Should I try a different browser?

EDIT: should have mentioned I'm on MacOS Chrome. Safari doesn't load it at all.

EDIT2: lol MS Edge works

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 16, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gnorp is so drat charming. The animations are cute and the writing is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Gnorp is fun but I can’t help but feel I’m at the point where it becomes Realm Grinder and I need to suss out which of the talents are actually worth taking