Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Dude seems decent on the whole, for a multi-millionaire lawyer who owns a jet. Lmao that he let his friendship with the parents convince himself the SBF "had no intent to do crime".

This pic of SBF is incredible tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol sorry everyone i told Expo70 to go full power cuz i wanted to see what would happen

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

lol sorry everyone i told Expo70 to go full power cuz i wanted to see what would happen

Don't apologize, this is a neat development.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kalensc posted:

Dude seems decent on the whole, for a multi-millionaire lawyer who owns a jet. Lmao that he let his friendship with the parents convince himself the SBF "had no intent to do crime".

i refuse to believe that's not a photoshop of his head on someone else, it's completely out of scale

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol

quote:

The verdict was inevitable, Mills says, but he doesn’t believe the trial was fair. “I think he is innocent because he didn’t form the intent to do anything wrong,” he says.
tired: sam did nothing wrong
wired: sam did not form the intent to do anything wrong

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kalensc posted:

there's better sbf pictures out there imo, the one where he's sitting with his wingtips untied and there's a bunch of garbage surrounding him on a plane (not to be confused with the pic of him sitting in a pile of garbage in like a server room or something)

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

FAUXTON posted:

Mfer wants to make the AC from I have no mouth, and I must scream but with TRUST written on every nanoangstrom of its circuitry

Big "media literacy is dead" energy in this post.

Ellison's entire thesis is he already thinks humans *ARE* AM and that like all technology all it does is amplify us, that's the entire point of the story.

it doesn't work specifically because Ellison is an emotionally stunted child king who is completely obsessed with externalized authority because he cannot act with authority towards his own life. All these guys are always playing waiting-games of projection. "I cannot grow until arbitrary, constantly marching condition is satisfied".

they externalize their inadequacy as the fault of the world, and then whenever anybody else actually has external problems they attack that violently to try and protect their own egos as it reminds them of their own failures. Its why they crave distance from everybody else, and its why they're all lonely.

everybody from Ellis to Buck Minster Fuller is "obsessed" with "resolving" existential anxieties, so they can put off growing as people.

this is the cult of the bestand.

quote:

Bestand is stockpiling. Row upon row of big box houses, waiting to be inhabited. Terabyte after terabyte of memory. Stockpiling is the art of zeugma -- the yoking of things you hear in phrases such as "wave upon wave", or "bumper to bumper". Stockpiling is the dominant mode of social existence.

they are selfish boy kings who have no concept of induced demand, and are shocked when people want to be near them, viewing closeness as threat to their existential mission.

he who thinks his ignorance will shield him from pain, not realizing the crushing debt that catches up and crushes every one of these guys around the time they turn 50 which is why they all go bonkers. Its the root cause of the midlife crisis.

With this in mind: I don't think our friend is building AM.

btw the radioplay is the best version because at some point Ellison got a huge smack to the face of realism when he had to do it with other people and seriously revised it.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJ8pTK8N8I

He is the voice of AM here.

If your only experience of the story is the game, you are experiencing a completely lobotomized version of the story that buys into Ellison's bullshit, instead of exposing his worst tendencies to become a good interesting piece of literature by peeking at the mind of an existentially lonely frightened man.

edit:
oh nm you were joking, I'm too in the ExpoZone to notice lmao sorry

Shame Boy posted:

i refuse to believe that's not a photoshop of his head on someone else, it's completely out of scale

behold, facial lens distortion

remember every 1990's grunge band did this in their videos?

they'd also do fisheye on the guitar for some reason, from an angle the audience found incomprehensible.
good times.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 13, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Xathal posted:

I own the Truth Beam trademark, and have patents pending on the technology, so I have some legal standing to prevent such scurrilous behaviour.

Like almost all cryptographic tools, I would hope that it is handled by software in the background. Verification does require checking that the initialisation vector is the output of the BFT network, and that the final hash is appropriately timestamped on said network, but this is trivial.

Trivial for dorks like us sure, but will it be trivial for Uncle Dave who just saw a video of Biden saying he loves communism on Facebook and is thinking about sharing it? In order for this to have any practical utility it needs to be something that grandma can do easily.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
buttcoin

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

✓ This post has been Truth Beam® verified!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

cool we have a new statpedia guy who's going to post about his dumb idea and then wonder why nobody is interested

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sweevo posted:

cool we have a new statpedia guy who's going to post about his dumb idea and then wonder why nobody is interested

i'm interested! i mean the idea's unworkable and if it ever did take off it would immediately acquire torment nexus attributes, but i'm interested in how weird it is at least!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Expo70 posted:

Big "media literacy is dead" energy in this post.

Ellison's entire thesis is he already thinks humans *ARE* AM and that like all technology all it does is amplify us, that's the entire point of the story.

it doesn't work specifically because Ellison is an emotionally stunted child king who is completely obsessed with externalized authority because he cannot act with authority towards his own life. All these guys are always playing waiting-games of projection. "I cannot grow until arbitrary, constantly marching condition is satisfied".

they externalize their inadequacy as the fault of the world, and then whenever anybody else actually has external problems they attack that violently to try and protect their own egos as it reminds them of their own failures. Its why they crave distance from everybody else, and its why they're all lonely.

everybody from Ellis to Buck Minster Fuller is "obsessed" with "resolving" existential anxieties, so they can put off growing as people.

this is the cult of the bestand.

they are selfish boy kings who have no concept of induced demand, and are shocked when people want to be near them, viewing closeness as threat to their existential mission.

he who thinks his ignorance will shield him from pain, not realizing the crushing debt that catches up and crushes every one of these guys around the time they turn 50 which is why they all go bonkers. Its the root cause of the midlife crisis.

With this in mind: I don't think our friend is building AM.

behold, facial lens distortion

remember every 1990's grunge band did this in their videos?

they'd also do fisheye on the guitar for some reason, from an angle the audience found incomprehensible.
good times.

imo these people are at their core lazy - emotionally and intellectually - so they delegate social interaction to various collected baubles and gadgets because having a dog is too much effort, finding and learning a satisfying hobby is too much work, and finding a friend requires too much attention. Folks who hide behind walls like that have their "map" of the world fade away to be replaced with "HERE BE DRAGONS" because to endure anything else would question the walls they spent so much money erecting. They're defending their purchase because it's the lowest cost option. It's not a fear of personal growth so much as it is a fear of making the effort understanding others, the effort learning new things, and the effort in going somewhere different.

You aren't wrong on the existential anxieties being a driver of that behavior but I don't believe the anxiety is the cause so much as a displacement of laziness into a sort of questioning bargain - imagine someone asking "what if I shower and still don't have friends?" and concluding they need to have stronger and stronger cologne. That's laziness, not anxiety, they're trying to one weird trick their way through personal hygiene and social interaction. You can shower and still be an rear end in a top hat, and you can type exquisitely-proofed blocks of text but still be spewing nonsense.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

i'm interested! i mean the idea's unworkable and if it ever did take off it would immediately acquire torment nexus attributes, but i'm interested in how weird it is at least!

Maybe this is an thing we should actually discuss with him. I think if he sees an alternative, that at least would be interesting, but to know the conversation happened and was communicated in good faith would in turn be valuable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FAUXTON posted:

You can shower and still be an rear end in a top hat

boy howdy

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

FAUXTON posted:

imo these people are at their core lazy - emotionally and intellectually - so they delegate social interaction to various collected baubles and gadgets because having a dog is too much effort, finding and learning a satisfying hobby is too much work, and finding a friend requires too much attention. Folks who hide behind walls like that have their "map" of the world fade away to be replaced with "HERE BE DRAGONS" because to endure anything else would question the walls they spent so much money erecting. They're defending their purchase because it's the lowest cost option. It's not a fear of personal growth so much as it is a fear of making the effort understanding others, the effort learning new things, and the effort in going somewhere different.

You aren't wrong on the existential anxieties being a driver of that behavior but I don't believe the anxiety is the cause so much as a displacement of laziness into a sort of questioning bargain - imagine someone asking "what if I shower and still don't have friends?" and concluding they need to have stronger and stronger cologne. That's laziness, not anxiety, they're trying to one weird trick their way through personal hygiene and social interaction. You can shower and still be an rear end in a top hat, and you can type exquisitely-proofed blocks of text but still be spewing nonsense.

the thing I don't often see is people like us reaching out to them and forcing them to grow up

showing you know how the magic trick works and then teaching that to others to humiliate them is the fastest way to break the pyramid scheme of their self-concept

you do it with kindness, and by giving them actual experiences instead of trying to explain ideas to them using language which because they have no token or matching symbol on their end, its jibberish to them

understanding only happens by creating experiences which can match words, because all words do is describe experiences

what they don't understand is half of human experience is pain, thus to be illiterate to pain is to be illiterate to humanity

its psychological variolation a vaccine of pain, of pain

and of course the paranoid who deal only in sets and not in measurements fear all pain equally so they hate that idea

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like here's a hypothetical: this thing takes off and now everyone knows if there isn't a Truth Beam stamp on it, you can't trust it. a cop shoots a kid in the back while the kid is running away and then plants a gun on him. someone records it, but the only thing they have access to is an old camera that is not Truth Beam Enabled or whatever, and now there is an automatic assumption that that video isn't real, regardless of any other factor.

maybe you do have a Truth Beam Enabled camera, which means when you go to record it sends out a beam of light that the cop immediately sees, realizes he's being recorded and beats the poo poo out of you. i guess in theory it could be done with IR instead, but then i 100% expect every cop in america to be wearing flashy weird pattern IR detection devices within a year.

or hell maybe it creates this entirely new online caste system, where only the people educated and/or wealthy enough to afford to buy one or build one themselves and understand how to use it are allowed to arbitrate our shared understanding of objective reality as a society

sorry if this seems overly negative, we've just seen a hell of a lot of "solve a social problem with technology" proposals become torment nexuses here in yospos. for example, buttcoin :v:

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

like here's a hypothetical: this thing takes off and now everyone knows if there isn't a Truth Beam stamp on it, you can't trust it. a cop shoots a kid in the back while the kid is running away and then plants a gun on him. someone records it, but the only thing they have access to is an old camera that is not Truth Beam Enabled or whatever, and now there is an automatic assumption that that video isn't real, regardless of any other factor.

maybe you do have a Truth Beam Enabled camera, which means when you go to record it sends out a beam of light that the cop immediately sees, realizes he's being recorded and beats the poo poo out of you. i guess in theory it could be done with IR instead, but then i 100% expect every cop in america to be wearing flashy weird pattern IR detection devices within a year.

or hell maybe it creates this entirely new online caste system, where only the people educated and/or wealthy enough to afford to buy one or build one themselves and understand how to use it are allowed to arbitrate our shared understanding of objective reality as a society

sorry if this seems overly negative, we've just seen a hell of a lot of "solve a social problem with technology" proposals become torment nexuses here in yospos. for example, buttcoin :v:

i don't think this is overly negative at all:

almost every solution to a problem only solves a small problem from one side of the problem, and then creates a bigger one which it then fails to solve

the real foresight is in undermining the problem instead of projecting a solution onto it

that's literally the root-cause of most of Morton's hyperobjects.

urgency occludes the future

those who hold the torch always forget that they are spared the horror of survival

more stand in the shadow of the light, than those behind the torch

people forget that while ideas cannot be destroyed, they can be judged, sentenced and executed.

history is defined by putting humans before ideas.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

almost every solution to a problem only solves a small problem from one side of the problem, and then creates a bigger one which it then fails to solve

if you mean sweeping, general solutions to societal / social problems in particular, sure. like i don't think "polio vaccine" created bigger problems than it solved, for example

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
oh now there's two of them :huh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Expo70 posted:

the thing I don't often see is people like us reaching out to them and forcing them to grow up

showing you know how the magic trick works and then teaching that to others to humiliate them is the fastest way to break the pyramid scheme of their self-concept

you do it with kindness, and by giving them actual experiences instead of trying to explain ideas to them using language which because they have no token or matching symbol on their end, its jibberish to them

understanding only happens by creating experiences which can match words, because all words do is describe experiences

what they don't understand is half of human experience is pain, thus to be illiterate to pain is to be illiterate to humanity

its psychological variolation a vaccine of pain, of pain

and of course the paranoid who deal only in sets and not in measurements fear all pain equally so they hate that idea

sure, but their laziness is going to be more self-reinforcing than you're letting on, because it's the lowest cost option. It's not just the foundation you're needing to kick away at, it's all the little habits reinforcing it like rebar - you get past the laziness and get to a breakthrough on "wanting to grow" and then in comes the bigotry they fostered because it justified isolation, or the performative shut-in's germophobia they developed because it justified not taking out the trash. Kindness alone isn't a panacea to this because it is in essence treating fake symptoms. A real germophobe would have more of an issue letting a stranger in to take out their trash, for example. It's not your job to face down their lies for them, they have to have the breakthrough actually forced on them - make them break down their own lies through brute force because they can't lie fast enough to keep up with your efforts at helping them. It's exhausting, though, which is why it's rarely worth the effort unless they're an older relative.

on the internet, though, nobody knows you're a dog, basically.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

there are things in forensics that kind of do some of the things the truth beam claims to

exhibit one - matching the electricity mains hum to a recording to establish when it was taken https://robertheaton.com/enf/

exhibit two - same thing as exhibit two but the difficulty is notched up and they try to timestamp smartphone recordings based on the electric network frequency of lights in the video https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1556-4029.15003

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in the end though it's possible to create arbitrary pixels and speaker oscillations the instant we know they're a way to tag something, or just lie that this is forensically valid to confuse people [see: bite mark analysis]

trusting a system like this means the people who are already experts in faking evidence just get more techniques

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

4lokos basilisk posted:

there are things in forensics that kind of do some of the things the truth beam claims to

exhibit one - matching the electricity mains hum to a recording to establish when it was taken https://robertheaton.com/enf/

exhibit two - same thing as exhibit two but the difficulty is notched up and they try to timestamp smartphone recordings based on the electric network frequency of lights in the video https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1556-4029.15003

see, this is an example of taking an idea to a relatively sensible and intentional conclusion, because they aren't claiming to be authorities of some universal concept so much as just saying they can put a timestamp on something based on an interpretation of data using a method they developed. It's not creating that negative inference by absence that "this is the truth" would. It's also not something dreamt up off-meds by someone who admits to the genuine belief that marketing should come before product.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

what in the gently caress is going on itt

I think I might be having a stroke

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

i’ll accept it on the basis that at least this new weird nerd probably hasn’t molested any children

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
a quick note for folks in here, if a rereg person comes back and posts, please:

-ignore them
-do not react to them
-do not post about them
-do not quote the spam posts

and just wait until it can be handled. sometimes this can be a few hours. thanks!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

4lokos basilisk posted:

yeah i know those things and i am terrified that someone will use them to doxx me some day lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shame Boy posted:

kalensc posted:

Don't apologize, this is a neat development.

i agree too. something different

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Programmer Humor posted:

i too prefer analog computers. they just have a warmer sound, you know

mechanical computers are where it's at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loI1Kwed8Pk

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

FAUXTON posted:

sure, but their laziness is going to be more self-reinforcing than you're letting on, because it's the lowest cost option. It's not just the foundation you're needing to kick away at, it's all the little habits reinforcing it like rebar - you get past the laziness and get to a breakthrough on "wanting to grow" and then in comes the bigotry they fostered because it justified isolation, or the performative shut-in's germophobia they developed because it justified not taking out the trash. Kindness alone isn't a panacea to this because it is in essence treating fake symptoms. A real germophobe would have more of an issue letting a stranger in to take out their trash, for example. It's not your job to face down their lies for them, they have to have the breakthrough actually forced on them - make them break down their own lies through brute force because they can't lie fast enough to keep up with your efforts at helping them. It's exhausting, though, which is why it's rarely worth the effort unless they're an older relative.

on the internet, though, nobody knows you're a dog, basically.

the trick is using their laziness against them: that the long-term expenses will doom them

beyond that its just finding a moment of weakness

laziness is conservation. if there's no day to call in those debts, its all for naut and futility is the one thing they can't handle.

every wally has his day

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 13, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lol that the articles turns into a handjob for sbf's dipshit lawyer after a couple paragraphs

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zopotantor posted:

mechanical computers are where it's at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loI1Kwed8Pk

cool, i'm going to chain a few of these together to process some 4k videos

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Expo70 posted:

the trick is using their laziness against them: that the long-term expenses will doom them

beyond that its just finding a moment of weakness

laziness is conservation. if there's no day to call in those debts, its all for naut and futility is the one thing they can't handle.

every wally has his day

yeah, like a torpedo under a submarine, just pit the lies against each other - take "this is great content" and then see how much of that great content they can gorge on before they say stop because they weren't being serious

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

FAUXTON posted:

yeah, like a torpedo under a submarine, just pit the lies against each other - take "this is great content" and then see how much of that great content they can gorge on before they say stop because they weren't being serious

Eh, all exposed remains even if unrecalled.

If every man is an island, be the ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDq5hAUoHY

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 13, 2023

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

see here now, when I click on the buttcoin thread I expect to read dumb stuff about a goofy computerized rube goldberg contraption that arose from a profound misunderstanding of human beings and the concept of trust (buttcoin), not dumb stuff about a goofy computerized rube goldberg contraption that arose from a profound misunderstanding of human beings and the concept of trust ("Truth Beam")

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blotto_Otter posted:

see here now, when I click on the buttcoin thread I expect to read dumb stuff about a goofy computerized rube goldberg contraption that arose from a profound misunderstanding of human beings and the concept of trust (buttcoin), not dumb stuff about a goofy computerized rube goldberg contraption that arose from a profound misunderstanding of human beings and the concept of trust ("Truth Beam")

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
the fundamental concept of currency is based in an assumption of trust

this convergence was unavoidable

everything can be ruined

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Expo70 posted:

everything can be ruined

Welcome ... to Something Awful Dot Com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Truth-BeamTM was either a GE product hyped up by Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock, or a creation of Dr. Forrester's during an MST3K Invention Exchange. In either case I'm pleased to learn more about it.