Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I refuse to get into the "Bears will ruin whoever they draft" mindset because if that's the case, we'll never win another Super Bowl again barring a totally over the top improbable Generational Defense situation like 85 or the 2000 Ravens. And maybe that thought is what keeps the Chicago Meatballs happy but it doesn't make me happy. I also think it's magical thinking.

But I do have a lot of brain damage from Bear QB Madness and I do feel an affection and attachment to Fields that is at least around "Well the guy is at least serviceable and why gamble that on the slim chance we'll find something better." Plus the prospect of trading the 1st overall again for a thieves ransom sounds delicious.

But then on the other hand there's the chance Fields is who he is, and this is the ceiling of his play, and we'd be passing on the chance to draft the next Andrew Luck or whatever. It's an amazing dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I refuse to get into the "Bears will ruin whoever they draft" mindset because if that's the case, we'll never win another Super Bowl again barring a totally over the top improbable Generational Defense situation like 85 or the 2000 Ravens.

I'm sorry but this is 100% true

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don’t think any fanbase has ever fretted more about potentially moving on from a QB/coach combo that took 30 games to cobble together its first two-game winning streak, and also one of those wins was a miserable zero-TD performance against a team playing a soon-to-be-benched backup

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I don’t think any fanbase has ever fretted more about potentially moving on from a QB/coach combo that took 30 games to cobble together its first two-game winning streak, and also one of those wins was a miserable zero-TD performance against a team playing a soon-to-be-benched backup

Oh I think Eberflus should have been fired immediately following the Denver game and there is nothing that he could do from then on that would make me want to retain him. The fact the team was visibly unprepared for the season was all I needed to see to be done with him. And no matter how well they're playing now, I don't care. If he wants to stay on as a DC, thats fine.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears are never going to win another super bowl. I would be shocked if they ever win a playoff game.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Scipiotik posted:

Noted brain genius Aaron Glenn only had Brian Branch on the field for half of the defensive snaps because he wanted him solely at nickel corner. Bears probably noticed this and just stopped running sets that would put him on the field.

How the gently caress do you let your best defensive player in the secondary not be on the field and do that intentionally.

God I hope somebody hires AG as a head coach for next year. I've seen more than enough from him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It rules how like 90% of coaches and coordinators have "MY scheme right or wrong" brain rot instead of shaping the scheme to fit the players they have.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It’s not fair to try to claim the “Franchise doomed to an eternal lack of postseason success” gimmick in a thread with Lions fans. The Bears have their own brand of incompetence that will give us a good but clearly flawed 12-5 team in 2027 that flames out after a wildcard game win and then we spend the next 5-10 years fantasizing about What Could Have Been as the roster gradually decays into mediocrity and then legit garbage

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/1734996093253861631

Bohanna got poached from the Lions practice squad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

It’s not fair to try to claim the “Franchise doomed to an eternal lack of postseason success” gimmick in a thread with Lions fans.

I'm going to do it and I'm going to do it very strongly.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

trevorreznik posted:

It worked for Favre and Rodgers though!!!

It really is amazing though that there isn't a consensus on what to do with Fields. He isn't even running that well this year.

He is averaging 51 yards a game. I think maybe your standards are impossibly high.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sataere posted:

He is averaging 51 yards a game. I think maybe your standards are impossibly high.

I mean, yes. He's worse than last year, when he put together the second greatest rushing season ever and could have been #1 if not for injuries. I wanted him to be the greatest, not merely very good.

xbilkis posted:

It’s not fair to try to claim the “Franchise doomed to an eternal lack of postseason success” gimmick in a thread with Lions fans. The Bears have their own brand of incompetence that will give us a good but clearly flawed 12-5 team in 2027 that flames out after a wildcard game win and then we spend the next 5-10 years fantasizing about What Could Have Been as the roster gradually decays into mediocrity and then legit garbage

Hilariously, the Lions have made the playoffs more than the Bears since Ditka left ; the difference is the Bears can win in the postseason (with Urlacher+Briggs+some other hall of famers)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/1734996093253861631

Bohanna got poached from the Lions practice squad.

He was ok for us but out of free elevations, guessing they didn't want to put him on the roster to keep him or he just wanted out of the clown show that is the current lions dline rotation.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

trevorreznik posted:

It worked for Favre and Rodgers though!!!

It really is amazing though that there isn't a consensus on what to do with Fields. He isn't even running that well this year.

trevorreznik posted:

I mean, yes. He's worse than last year, when he put together the second greatest rushing season ever and could have been #1 if not for injuries. I wanted him to be the greatest, not merely very good.

Bro, you basically just said because he isn't producing record numbers, he ain't poo poo. The Bears have broken your brain.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

He is averaging 25 fewer yards on the ground per game and 50 more yards in the air per game. I'll take that tradeoff.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

If the Bears get a new offensive coach, it's a completely different institution, than the one who drafted Justin.

This is exactly what I have been trying to say, and why I think Eberflus and Fields are going to be linked. Why give Eberflus another shot if you think he botched Fields' development? But if you have that first pick, you might as well try and get value for Fields as well as a top new QB prospect. It might not work out, but Fields is also uncertain, if still somewhat promising.

I think the real thing here is that if Poles keeps Eberflus another year his head goes on the chopping block as well if things go south, but if Poles fires him and drafts a new QB he probably buys himself 3 more years at least.

Do I want to see Fields go? Not necessarily. But I think it's the decision that's probably gonna make the most sense to the Front Office. Unless the Bears keep winning, of course. Then they keep Eberflus, Fields, and get a new OC (I hope), and try and make this team work. Which, maybe? It's definitely a risky path for Poles, because I think Warren won't hesitate to put his own guy in there.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think the mystery box at #1 overall is worth much more than Fields in a trade, and I don't know if whatever QB the Bears would take there would be better than Fields plus the combined value of the players they would've gotten for trading the #1 overall.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is very obvious that if the bears take Williams or Maye they will instantly bust but if they keep Fielda he will get hurt and be out of the league in 2 years while Williams and Maya turn into Mahomes and Allen.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sataere posted:

The Bears have broken your brain.

it's true, they have!

I'm with Mangles - they're screwed no matter what, because this team is incapable of developing a QB. Just put in Andy Dalton, Mike Glennon, and whoever else once Fields gets hurt, and spend the draft capital on other players. But it's not going to matter for playoff wins.

Maybe they can trade Fields for Goff. I've been driven insane by the Trubisky-Fields era

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 13, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

There could be anything in the mystery box. There could even be a 1st overall pick!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the mystery box at #1 overall is worth much more than Fields in a trade, and I don't know if whatever QB the Bears would take there would be better than Fields plus the combined value of the players they would've gotten for trading the #1 overall.

If some team offers you something like the Trey Lance or more deal.

I will absolutely take it.

That deal single-handedly built that Miami dolphins roster.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm trying to figure out if the Bears could just keep farming the Panthers with the #1 pick.

Panthers get the 2024 #1 pick (presumably for MHJ) in exchange for...

2024 second-rounder
2025 first-rounder (absolutely certain to be the #1 again)
2026 first-rounder (probably also the #1)
Brian Burns

Who says no?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

There could be anything in the mystery box. There could even be a 1st overall pick!

And it will be again, that's the beauty of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

My YouTube algo knows what's up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
why does the nfl care? Just don't trade with them

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I don't like Justin Fields little beard tuft and I think that is what is holding him back from being a top 10 QB in the league.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
HITS posting has kept this thread from Menards posting, so I think Eberflus and Fields should stay.

Comedy Option: Eberflus gets fired; becomes Packers DC and ruins another Chicago QB

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Menards is dookie gently caress Menards

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
THREADBAN

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'll allow it.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Everytime I see a picture of his head I think of:

I'm crushing your head!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishing with the fam posted:

I don't like Justin Fields little beard tuft and I think that is what is holding him back from being a top 10 QB in the league.

:hrmyes:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

List of stupid tropes I wholeheartedly reject

1. You need a QB on a rookie deal to win the Superbowl, or even win playoff games
2. You need a rookie QB if you plan on hiring a new OC
3. Justin Fields isn't good enough to start in the NFL
4. You can't skip out on picking a QB with the first pick, for two years in a row
5. Incoming GM's and HC's aren't "attached' to the QB so it's "cleaner" to draft a new one

Totally divorced from the decision they'll have to make on Fields, there's a lot of "rule of thumb" type rules that are fuckin stupid and based on a bunch of bias. Recency bias, survivor bias, confirmation bias, etc etc

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

^^^^^^^
They all come from dumb media talking points designed to generate clicks. Basing business and football decisions on those ideas are stupid.

Dexo posted:

My YouTube algo knows what's up.

This one weird trick the NFL doesn't want you to know about!

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
How would people rank the Packers’ young pass catchers so far? I haven’t been able to watch many games this year, I mainly just check stat lines for fantasy purposes, but Jayden Reed seems like the best so far. Watson has flashes but he has been so fragile. My impression is that Doubs is reliable, and Wicks has had some clutch plays. But it’s still early to tell about any of them, yeah?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dju_X4gzdnQ

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GNU Order posted:

List of stupid tropes I wholeheartedly reject

1. You need a QB on a rookie deal to win the Superbowl, or even win playoff games

Having a good QB on a rookie contract is a big competitive advantage. You don’t need one but it makes roster construction a lot easier.

quote:

3. Justin Fields isn't good enough to start in the NFL
If the Justin Fields you get in the future is the one you’ve had for the last 3 years he isn’t. You’re banking on him being capable of being better than he has been consistently, which is a bit gamble for a GM or coach to take when they’ll get fired if they guess wrong.

quote:

4. You can't skip out on picking a QB with the first pick, for two years in a row
If you don’t have a guy you know is THE guy then failing to take a QB with the #1 pick two years in a row is pretty questionable decision making. It’s the most valuable position in sports, you absolutely have to get it right, if you can’t decide after three years then fair or not it’s probably time to move on.

quote:

5. Incoming GM's and HC's aren't "attached' to the QB so it's "cleaner" to draft a new one
It’s not that they aren’t “attached” it’s that they should be given the freedom to do what they want with the position. If there’s a guy they like in the draft that they can get they should be allowed to take them. You’re paying them a lot of money to be the smart football guys so get out of the way and let them do their jobs instead of shackling them to a QB they don’t want. If the new guys want Fields, great! If they want to pick a QB and ship him off, also great!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Menards is dookie gently caress Menards

Seriously. John Menard is a racist, a sexual harasser and a union-buster and overall piece of poo poo. gently caress Menard's and I don't get why the whole "save big money" became a Thing in this thread.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

Seriously. John Menard is a racist, a sexual harasser and a union-buster and overall piece of poo poo. gently caress Menard's and I don't get why the whole "save big money" became a Thing in this thread.

because it's a thing we midwesterners commonly hear in menards ads on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Having a good QB on a rookie contract is a big competitive advantage. You don’t need one but it makes roster construction a lot easier.

In the last ten years, the Super Bowl winning quarterbacks were
2022 - Mahomes
2021 - Matt Stafford
2020 - Tom Brady
2019 - Mahomes
2018 - Tom Brady
2017 - Nick Foles/Carson Wentz
2016 - Tom Brady
2015 - Payton Manning
2014 - Tom Brady
2013 - Russell Wilson

2.5 of those quarterbacks was on a rookie contract. This is just patently false.

quote:

If the Justin Fields you get in the future is the one you’ve had for the last 3 years he isn’t. You’re banking on him being capable of being better than he has been consistently, which is a bit gamble for a GM or coach to take when they’ll get fired if they guess wrong.

He has only gotten better every year, despite terrible circumstances. The idea that development ends after year 3 in the hardest position in sports is absurd.

And of you compare the last 17 games of Burrow, Lawrence, Herbert, and Fields, there are only two categories where he isn't comparable. Passing yards, which if you combine rushing yards and passing yards is much more comparable, and fumbles. Which hopefully with an improved line and a year of coaching can be fixed. And he's done that with a significantly worse roster his entire career.

quote:

If you don’t have a guy you know is THE guy then failing to take a QB with the #1 pick two years in a row is pretty questionable decision making. It’s the most valuable position in sports, you absolutely have to get it right, if you can’t decide after three years then fair or not it’s probably time to move on.

They have the guy. The problem is people seem to think that if you aren't Patrick Mahomes, you ain't poo poo. That is an impossible and stupid standard.

quote:

It’s not that they aren’t “attached” it’s that they should be given the freedom to do what they want with the position. If there’s a guy they like in the draft that they can get they should be allowed to take them. You’re paying them a lot of money to be the smart football guys so get out of the way and let them do their jobs instead of shackling them to a QB they don’t want. If the new guys want Fields, great! If they want to pick a QB and ship him off, also great!

If they are smart football guys, they won't go after a mystery box chasing a top five guy when they already have a top ten one. A great example is the Trey Lance trade with Miami. That roster was built on the back of that trade.

EDIT: BECAUSE I FORGOT RUSS WAS A ROOKIR

Sataere fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 13, 2023