Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly I’m just mostly bored with hasbro’s construction. I hate getting a new GI Joe and the articulation is all stuck and hard to move.

I’ve been spoiled by imports lol

Agreed. The double joints on joe knees and elbows are often super tight. Better than the opposite, but I don't like the anxiety I feel in loosening them lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Other posted:

That's basically how Lightning Collection was going as well with the added bonus of inconsistent teams(for example, a shared weapon included with every member of the team might be moulded in one colour and details painted in another for some figures, the two colours would be reversed for the a different member and then one would have the whole weapon painted), Now that's a line I don't expect to see return anytime soon

I skipped out on getting some of the Ranger teams I liked because the head molds were so generic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All 4 or 5 of the ~$25 lines are cheap and lazy. That’s the point, they’re mass produced for Walmart shelves.

They’re still the $5 toys of your youth, inflation went up not the product ‘class’.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's not really true - like yeah, they are cheap and mass produced garbage but the Black Series was geared towards older collectors - better sculpts and deeper cuts. The cheap toys of our youth are the 3.75" lines and the more exaggerated kids stuff in the $10-$15 range.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe some of you are younger than me, but the $5 stuff of mine was literally 6 inch Toybiz Marvel Legends.

They've introduced other, cheaper stuff since because that category of product has been pushed up to a price level where nobody is taking their kid to KB Toys anymore (rip) and buying 3 for $10 out of a clearance basket because scuba Spider-Man was never going to sell at full price.

In Hasbro's product catalogue they still occupy the same space. Yeah the sculpts are better, but they've taken away 90% of the accessories too.

They've tried better, closer to import level stuff like Hyper Real but it didn't catch on.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 13, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Sanschel posted:

HISS Fire Team may manage to squeak in at the last second if they ship in time

True. I did wake up to a 'payment successful' email from Pulse on that set.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I remember the days of getting a Joe for $3 with tax and then being really upset when they raised the price so it was just over $3 and I didn't have the money on me to pay for the extra :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I got back into ml and black series recently (lol what a dummy).
I wanted to finish a marvel display I never finished in the pre hasbro days (and I sold out in 2010ish).
Black series — I wanted some Mando stuff.

Prices drove me away from black series pretty quick — I manage to have everything I could want anyway.
With ML, the addiction hit bad. However, I’m pretty much only getting stuff on deep discount with few exceptions.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I remember the days of getting a Joe for $3 with tax and then being really upset when they raised the price so it was just over $3 and I didn't have the money on me to pay for the extra :(

G.I. Joes were literally how I learned how tax existed. My kid mind was blown/broken when when I couldn't afford 2 joes with my allowance even though the cash I had in hand was enough to cover the price on the sticker. Been bullshit ever since. If you're going to charge it, it should be listed in the price on the shelf. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

G.I. Joes were literally how I learned how tax existed. My kid mind was blown/broken when when I couldn't afford 2 joes with my allowance even though the cash I had in hand was enough to cover the price on the sticker. Been bullshit ever since. If you're going to charge it, it should be listed in the price on the shelf. :colbert:

Like most places in the world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm pretty sure they do this explicitly to make people mad at taxes since there's no reason they can't print labels with the out the door price printed on them in 20fucking23.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure they do this explicitly to make people mad at taxes since there's no reason they can't print labels with the out the door price printed on them in 20fucking23.

This is exactly why they do it, and it's been a standard thing since Nixon was president.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe some of you are younger than me, but the $5 stuff of mine was literally 6 inch Toybiz Marvel Legends.

They've introduced other, cheaper stuff since because that category of product has been pushed up to a price level where nobody is taking their kid to KB Toys anymore (rip) and buying 3 for $10 out of a clearance basket because scuba Spider-Man was never going to sell at full price.

Did Toybiz ML really go down to $5? When I was a kid, the Toybiz 5" figures were the $5 figures, then when ML was introduced they were ~$6.99 and slowly increased in price from there. I remember buying ML series 6 at $8 each, then when Hasbro took over, their first awful wave was something like $11 each and it slowly went up from there. Seems the most basic of basic kids action figure toys at this point is a minimum of $10.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It says something about figures these days that buying the TMNT Mutant Mayhem figures at $9.99 each felt like a bargain. (Actually, when I bought them they were $6.99 each and then they were buy 1, but 1 50% off, so they worked out less than $20 for all 4 turtles, which felt like I was conning Target somehow).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently it was actually $6.99 at the beginning, yeah.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Did Toybiz ML really go down to $5? When I was a kid, the Toybiz 5" figures were the $5 figures, then when ML was introduced they were ~$6.99 and slowly increased in price from there. I remember buying ML series 6 at $8 each, then when Hasbro took over, their first awful wave was something like $11 each and it slowly went up from there. Seems the most basic of basic kids action figure toys at this point is a minimum of $10.

I may have seen 5.88 or something at Walmart. But I’m pretty sure it was in the 6-10 range until hasbro. Hasbro hit 15 and barely got any better so I stopped. Then they had their first reboot and I can’t remember the msrp. Maybe it was 20.

Sure burned to buy movie Phoenix for 13 dollars or whatever.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I collect mainly ML and am worried about the future of the line. The price creep in the last several years has been fairly obnoxious and the actual MCU of late has been quite anemic. I can envision a significant number of fans abandoning it. But ML is like 4-5 lines (MCU, Comics, Deluxe, Boxsets, Animated/Retro, Exclusives) in 1 right now so they are all over the place. Their MCU offerings have unique sculpts but bare bones accessories. Their comics figures usually have decent accessories but are heavy reuse. They also serve lots of deep cuts. I honestly don't mind the reuse in the comics side of things because there usually isn't much definition to comic "spandex" outfits. It looks fine usually and is style consistent. Every so often they come out with a great new sculpt to add to the repertoire (i.e. Power Princess). But where they really grind my gears if the constant and very deliberate strategy of re-leases for double dipping. For example, they released a No Way Home 3-pack of all 3 MCU Spider-Menses and then months later, they offer the same exact figures again, individually packed with better and more accessories.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Its a psychological thing to make prices seem lower than they really are. I mean first off we do crap in .99 instead of just rounding up that penny to get to the next dollar. Adding tax to the price would also make people think things are too expensive. Which would you rather the price be: 24.99 or 26.61 even though at the register thats the same thing?

I think the .88 thing means something particular to Walmart. Costco has a similar pricing scheme where if the price ends in a certain number that item won't be reordered or whatever. When I worked retail if an item was marked to a .98 verse .99 it meant the item was going to clearance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Either that or Walmart just really loves Hitler.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm not about all this doom and gloom! The toys of my youth had five points of articulation, and unpainted accessories that didn't always fit in their hands right, and I'm not complaining about the huge upgrades that have happened in the years since, or just the last 10 years. Marvel Legends in particular have improved by leaps and bounds recently. One of the best changes in recent toys is parts being molded as separate pieces in different colors instead of painted on, which allows for much better results with fewer paint apps. Molding the face and the hair as two different pieces of plastic was unheard of a few years ago, and that alone has made almost every toy better. We live in a golden age! Except for the prices.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Snacksmaniac posted:

I may have seen 5.88 or something at Walmart. But I’m pretty sure it was in the 6-10 range until hasbro. Hasbro hit 15 and barely got any better so I stopped. Then they had their first reboot and I can’t remember the msrp. Maybe it was 20.

Sure burned to buy movie Phoenix for 13 dollars or whatever.

Yeah those later waves with Nova, Tigra, cat face Beast and whatever were awful. The pivot where you could see things getting better came with the Toys R Us 2-packs (Deadpool/Warpath, Winter Soldier/Black Widow, Hulk/Valkyrie), followed by the Toys R US X-Men wave with the BAF Jubilee. Then, their first reboot, ROML, came out at $15 each. The waves were pretty decent though the figure choice was odd and releases were sporadic.

I remember the first wave most collectors were legit happy with were the ML Spider-Man Green Goblin BAF wave, followed by the Captain America ML wave with the BAF Mandroid. Only downer is it's when Hasbro introduced the $20/figure price and honestly, I'm surprised they've only increased the price by $5 to $7 since then. It's fun to go down memory lane.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm not about all this doom and gloom! The toys of my youth had five points of articulation, and unpainted accessories that didn't always fit in their hands right,

What's funny about this is that the regressive quality of toys is what pushed me into exploring other toys and landing on Sofubi. If I was being honest the toys I've had the most fun with recently are the WWE Superstars line. Maybe it's just pure nostalgia colored glasses, but I can't help but just find them "fun" in spite of their simplicity. Don't get me wrong though. SHF Chainsaw Man is my figure of the year, I think.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I mostly like the Black Series figures I’ve got, although 3.75” is still my preferred scale for Star Wars.

I’m still pretty salty about the Black Series Mara Jade though. One of my favorite EU characters, and the figure is half-assed. Proportions are wack, lightsaber hilt is wrong, and the outfit in no way resembles her black jumpsuit or even the artwork that’s plastered on every surface of the packaging. I don’t know what they were thinking, and the chances of getting another (proper) Mara Jade figure in the next decade are slim to none.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know it’s long been the preferred scale, but once 3.75”/TVC started making their sculpts more realistic the human characters just look… wrong to me. They’re too gangly or the proportions are off or the faces don’t look right. Like a little over 10 or so years ago the focus became detail instead of just making a toyetic sculpt. You could argue that it’s a result of Hasbro catering more to adult collectors instead of actually making toys for kids, but the result is a line I don’t really want to collect aside from droids and the occasional pilot (just because I’m a completionist).

That’s partly why Black Series became so appealing to me, the sculpts quickly became really really good (unless it’s a droid, ironically) and you started to get decent likenesses once they implemented the photoreal technique. But now they’re $27 a pop for the standard line, the character selection is thin, and typically you have to wait over a year from announcement to shipping for each wave, by which point I’ve already lost interest in the figure.

I’m at a point where TVC doesn’t appeal to me, TBS is too expensive, and the only things I’m buying are the occasional Retro if it’s a character or costume Kenner never did.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Black series has to be like half off for me to even get a really wanted character. I am one Mando fig short of a full credit collection. Bought most on clearance as I’m the only one that likes em.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snacksmaniac posted:

Black series has to be like half off for me to even get a really wanted character. I am one Mando fig short of a full credit collection. Bought most on clearance as I’m the only one that likes em.

If the Mando character is Mando they had him at Ross for 4 dollars

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I don’t have the talent, can someone ‘shop that simpsons screenshot to say “old man yells at Hasbro”

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It’s actually that specific one I need I think The closest ross is like two hours though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Joe Fisto posted:

I don’t have the talent, can someone ‘shop that simpsons screenshot to say “old man yells at Hasbro”

Am I not supposed to complain about sculpts I don’t like or prices that are frankly insane?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

It’s actually that specific one I need I think The closest ross is like two hours though.

Correction:: the tattooine one I just need a replacement for. There’s one other mando I don’t have.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Speaking of marvel legends

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1735037216806633578?s=46

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Good god that wave is fantastic

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Good god that wave is fantastic

I can’t believe we are getting an X-Cutioner

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joe Fisto posted:

I can’t believe we are getting an X-Cutioner

Even better, it insinuates the new cartoon is going to own

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snacksmaniac posted:

It is yeah

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I really like the Bishop and Wolverine that I picked up from the first wave, so I'm in for Jean, Nightcrawler, and Cyclops at the very least. Also:
https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1735039372607574081
Scott's smug lopsided grin is perfect.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Please this holiday season think of those who do not live near Ross dress for Less in your hunts.

Pretty decent wave 2. Pumped for Nightcrawler and Scott. Also love the “M” magneto. The m on the shirt stands for magneto.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One of these days the show will actually come out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Magneto? The wanted criminal? You have the wrong man, I am Magento, see my cape is magenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Better pics of the X-Men wave, looks great, glad we get a long hair head for Jean.

https://marvelousnews.com/252-34381