Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/A24/status/1734936219711394284

Maybe we’ll get more information later, but the lack of any description of what the political dividing line in this scenario is does bug me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nucleic Acids posted:

Maybe we’ll get more information later, but the lack of any description of what the political dividing line in this scenario is does bug me.

Whitehouse decided to do another tea tax.

It wasn't even that high a tax. Like just a couple of cents more. :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

Whitehouse decided to do another tea tax.

It wasn't even that high a tax. Like just a couple of cents more. :(

Tariff on Keurig pods

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nucleic Acids posted:

This vaguely reminds me of the DMZ comic series, where NYC is now a no-man’s land in between two separate parts of a divided US

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

Something that involves California and Texas joining forces?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

This vaguely reminds me of the DMZ comic series, where NYC is now a no-man’s land in between two separate parts of a divided US

it is 100% aping that comic which was in development hell as a movie/tv series for like, decades. it eventually became an HBO show that nobody watched.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it is 100% aping that comic which was in development hell as a movie/tv series for like, decades. it eventually became an HBO show that nobody watched.
Yeah I remember HBO eventually just poo poo it out as a miniseries and it was garbage

This was around the time that FX released that other poo poo adaptation of Y: The Last Man

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1735011740675436599

The Dwayne is looking to challenge his acting skills by playing a guy that was full of steroids.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if they think The Rock can actually still play a 30 year old MMA fighter in his prime or if half the movie is gonna have him with terrible CG de-aging applied.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Nucleic Acids posted:

Alex Garland hasn't done wrong so far, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out. (Although I haven't seen Men, so this take could be laughably wrong)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Alex Garland hasn't done wrong so far, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out. (Although I haven't seen Men, so this take could be laughably wrong)

You're me before I saw Men.

I definitely don't trust him blindly with this one anymore.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Men is really not good, and I’m not a huge fan of Ex Machina either, but I can’t get too upset at the writer/ghost director of Dredd.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked Men well enough, it was anything but subtle, but pretty wild. Any particular reasons why you guys disliked it so much?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

If you go into Men expecting mother! you'll be... satisfied?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

davidspackage posted:

I liked Men well enough, it was anything but subtle, but pretty wild. Any particular reasons why you guys disliked it so much?

I found it incredibly dull and free of his usual panache until the final sequence, which I'll admit was a real memorable bit. But that's it. That's literally all that worked for me in the film, the rest of it was warmed over thriller clichés.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Wonder if the Never Lose A Fight clause is still in The Rock's contract. I guess you could still do a dramatic story of a fighter who only wins at greater and greater cost.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sourdough Sam posted:

Wonder if the Never Lose A Fight clause is still in The Rock's contract. I guess you could still do a dramatic story of a fighter who only wins at greater and greater cost.

The tweet says he struggles with winning, maybe that means winning so much makes him struggle with, I dunno, staying motivated. Like a roidy One Punch Man.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

MrBling posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1735011740675436599

The Dwayne is looking to challenge his acting skills by playing a guy that was full of steroids.

I mean honestly it's a break from all the god awful poo poo he has been putting out. I think he is a decent actor but he just stuck with the same boring formula for about a decade because it made him a ton of money

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Black Adam bombed so bad The Rock is going to try to act…possibly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

Black Adam bombed so bad The Rock is going to try to act…possibly.
Yeah I'm not betting on that

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Waiting to cringe at the answer to the Civil War thing, hoping I’m wrong

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nucleic Acids posted:

it's a stealth Zombocom movie

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah your career of trying to be the most bland playing it safe actor in existence and maybe becoming president even though you have no strong beliefs is waning a bit so now you are trying to go the indie route. Not actually taking any risks though, just going with the company that have already had hit after hit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
haven't even watched it but Southland Tales was A24 before A24 was A24

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if they think The Rock can actually still play a 30 year old MMA fighter in his prime or if half the movie is gonna have him with terrible CG de-aging applied.

We’re all so old now that 2008 probably feels like yesterday, but he could do a current day roided up Alpha Male™ version of The Wrestler. That feels beneath Benny Safdie, though.

I haven’t watched a lot of The Rock’s movies, but I thought he was legit great in Pain & Gain. If this has a dark humor bent I think he could do pretty well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The poo poo of him wearing the dog mask was spit-my-drink hilarious

Then the movie got really dark soon after

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Andre Braugher, passed away at 61.

SplitSoul posted:

AI-generated search engine results continue to pay off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nucleic Acids posted:

There's no way it's not going to be ideologically incoherent in a way that manages to piss off literally everybody.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A24 and Hideo Kojima are making a Death Stranding movie.
https://shop.a24films.com/products/a24-x-kojima-productions-death-stranding-logo-tee
They are already selling a shirt.

I think it would be funny if they didn't cast Norman Reedus but kept everyone else.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dinosaurs! posted:

We’re all so old now that 2008 probably feels like yesterday, but he could do a current day roided up Alpha Male™ version of The Wrestler. That feels beneath Benny Safdie, though.

I haven’t watched a lot of The Rock’s movies, but I thought he was legit great in Pain & Gain. If this has a dark humor bent I think he could do pretty well.

I think it’s his only good movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

People are comparing Civil War to the DMZ comic, but it’s giving me Russel T Davies’ Years and Years vibes in its “progressive British guy has an extremely surface level understanding of US politics” depiction.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

People are comparing Civil War to the DMZ comic, but it’s giving me Russel T Davies’ Years and Years vibes in its “progressive British guy has an extremely surface level understanding of US politics” depiction.

Yeah, having watched the trailer, I'm guessing Nick Offerman is probably a Trump-like authoritarian president in control of the military, without Garland realizing that there was a lot of civilian and state level support for him, and the Western Alliance of CA and TX are revolting due to the Electoral College, because that's literally the only thing they have in common with those each other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure there's a line about Offerman being a three term president.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dinosaurs! posted:

From what I understand this movie is supposed to cover Kerr's heyday as an MMA fighter, which took place in his early to mid-30s. I'm sure there will be some portion of the movie that happens when he's older and washed up though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty sure there's a line about Offerman being a three term president.

It's going to be an allegory for FDR and the New Deal

(Yeah I know he was elected to a 4th term, shuddup)

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The first time I heard about this movie was when Civil War was trending on twitter, which ended up being about the movie and not literally anything else more interesting.

Someone tweeted that it could end up being the most important movie of our age or something, so I figured it was some chud movie at first.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't see captain america anywhere I'm so confused

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

That reporting turned out to be false. The movie it was about (Hobbs & Shaw) had The Rock lose multiple fights to the villain.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

muscles like this! posted:

A24 and Hideo Kojima are making a Death Stranding movie.
https://shop.a24films.com/products/a24-x-kojima-productions-death-stranding-logo-tee
They are already selling a shirt.

I think it would be funny if they didn't cast Norman Reedus but kept everyone else.

Big lol if we get the package delivery simulator adaptation before a Metal Gear movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

That reporting turned out to be false. The movie it was about (Hobbs & Shaw) had The Rock lose multiple fights to the villain.

I think that was like a game of telephone where there was a bit of truth to it and then the story morphed into something that wasn't true. I'm pretty sure what did actually happen was that he specifically wanted Hobbs to be on equal footing with Vin Diesel's Dom in the F&F movies. It was a specific issue that he and Diesel had that was a part of that relationship becoming a problem, not a general clause that he put into every contract.