Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A new patch dropped today with some fixes and improvements but also there's info on the holiday expeditions:

quote:

Holiday Expeditions

Hello Everyone!

Another busy year for No Man’s Sky is drawing to a close, and this holiday season we are pleased to revisit our tradition of running remixed editions of this year’s expeditions.

Across the following dates, 2023’s community expeditions will be available once more, taking place in new sections of the universe, offering explorers another opportunity to experience these stories and events and earn exclusive rewards.

In addition to the 2023 expeditions, we are also bringing back a limited run of the community favourite Cartographers, from 2021. The bundle of rewards includes some of the most popular items from across a number of past expeditions, including the coveted Golden Vector starship – an exciting opportunity for players who missed out on the chance to earn these rewards during the original expedition runs.

Holy poo poo the Golden Vector! I missed out on it the first time around.

The expeditions featured:

Utopia: 8th Dec – 15th Dec
Work together with other Travellers to rebuild an abandoned solar system for the mysterious Utopia Foundation. Utopia welcomes all contributors to our ambitious new communal habitation project!

Singularity: 15th Dec – 22nd Dec
Begin to unveil the history and origin of the harmonic camps in this precursor to Echoes. A mystery that touches upon artificial intelligence, the will to exist, and the very nature of what it means to be alive.

Cartographers: 22nd Dec – 29th Dec
Awaken stranded on the fiery planet of Coul Major, and deeply explore its surface as you work to repair your bespoke starship.

Voyagers: 29th Dec – 8th Jan
A relaxing journey of exploration, encouraging Travellers to seek out remarkable worlds, reach planetary summits and oceanbeds, and catalogue your findings.

E: Reposting this for the new page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKQem4Z6ioQ

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

drat you Sean Murray!

I am hyped for the new game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

:lmao:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah new game definitely looks dope and very much my jam.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

You know aside from the vaguely infinite work implied of recreating the incredible geo and bio diversity that are the basis and inspiration for all worlds in fiction and imagination -- he really only specifically promised mountains that are better than usual videogame mountains. And rivers.

If they can figure out complex terrain geometry that would be awesome, the topological map + occasional fake cave voids only gets you so far.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

new game looks great. Yes album cover vibes

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I just started playing a couple weeks ago. What are these "expeditions"?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They're like temporary iterations of the game with varying twists and objectives. Completing them and the various tasks within can unlock ships and space whales and other neat stuff for your account. You could also continue the expedition character on as your normal one if you wanted instead.

You pick an expedition and start a new game with whatever twist conditions are in play and you work towards some main goal, with sub quests that also unlock stuff as you go. Doing so in addition to unlocking account stuff usually comes with resources or items to make the expedition smoother, less grindy than main game.

Essentially it's a more directed way to play with clearer objectives and an intentional path through things.

Lotta fun imo, you see more players than you ever will naturally in the main galaxies, since everyone is on the same page for once. And they're just a fun way to blast through NMS with a twist for an experience that has a well defined endpoint, while unlocking stuff for your endless main character.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Presto posted:

I just started playing a couple weeks ago. What are these "expeditions"?

You select them as a new game from the menu, they're sort of tailor-made questlines where you start from scratch and have a bunch of objectives or milestones to reach by doing different things like going into space or gathering a resource or taming an animal, could be anything, really. There are five major milestones in total and completing each one gives you stuff for your account, typically cosmetics but it could be things like rare starships or frigates that you can only get from an expedition.

To complete a major milestone you have to do the smaller stuff and completing those gives you items or blueprints that'll help you to get other ones. Expeditions typically take around 6-8 hours of leisurely play and the quality varies but generally are worth doing but it's good to check the rewards first.

Once you complete an expedition you can turn that save from an expedition save to a normal save and keep playing which can be a big leg-up for a new player.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
brb I need to make some Launch Fuel Dragon Chow so that my dragon can take off to fly to the next objective

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The cool thing about the Expeditions are that the ships, cosmetics, and some of the building components you unlock by playing them can then be picked up at the Quicksilver Vendor in the anomaly on your normal save. So you can play through the expedition, get the rewards, then cash them in without having to abandon your normal playthrough.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How far in the game you need to be to start the expedition? I feel like I'm still doing the tutorial, been looking for Artemis and just got my first freighter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You start expeditions as new games from the main menu. They're a game mode and on a separate save.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

You start expeditions as new games from the main menu. They're a game mode and on a separate save.

I was just wondering if I can do these missions since there is an objective "craft an exocraft" and I haven't been able to do that in single player yet. Does the expedition give me proper recipes automatically?

Anyways, I started Utopia, let's see if I can finish? It is definitely a bit overwhelming what I'm actually supposed to be doing since it's timed. Building a base took me a long time in single player.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 9, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I was just wondering if I can do these missions since there is an objective "craft an exocraft" and I haven't been able to do that in single player yet. Does the expedition give me proper recipes automatically?

Anyways, I started Utopia, let's see if I can finish? It is definitely a bit overwhelming what I'm actually supposed to be doing since it's timed. Building a base took me a long time in single player.

Yeah the expedition is a new save and doesn't require you to do anything in a main save first as far as I know.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Yes, the expedition will generally give you plans for things needed for the next mission - you can look at each step and see the rewards, and usually if you do them in order they chain together. Think of it like a guided play through.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I just started utopia today, played for about two hours and I’m more than halfway done. My first expedition, although I had played a lot of the regular game. The only thing you need a lot of that you aren’t given is chromatic metal, so grab any copper you see early on. Your bases are disposable, as you typically move on to the next planet quickly, so just make them four floor squares and some walls with a roof.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any information as to which expedition gives the Golden Vector? The original expedition that gave the ship isn't one they're re-running this year. Cartographers is the one I never finished but the ship isn't from that one either.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any information as to which expedition gives the Golden Vector? The original expedition that gave the ship isn't one they're re-running this year. Cartographers is the one I never finished but the ship isn't from that one either.

The blurb on Steam says that the Golden Vector comes from Cartographers, Dec. 22-29.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

The blurb on Steam says that the Golden Vector comes from Cartographers, Dec. 22-29.

Okay yeah, thanks. Seems like they're replacing the original or adding other rewards, with the Golden Vector being a reward from that expedition. Neat, I won't have to redo any of the other ones.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The only good use for the mech is to give it an AI brain and summon it into combat :black101:

Otherwise I just use the fast little skimmer thing.

The upgraded mech is faster than the upgraded skimmer for sure

Edit: It also doesn't have to give a poo poo about terrain

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I took some time to finish the Utopia expedition and it did get a bit grindy (just building bases on all the planets) but since there was a good ship as a reward, it was worth it - it certainly seems better than my starter ship. Now I'm gonna continue the main quest again and try to find some upgrades for myself and a better multitool, I guess.

The handling is insanely good, the maneuverability is great.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 12, 2023

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I got the Utopia speeder the last time they offered this Expedition and it's been my go to since I got it pretty much! I also haven't touched Expeditions since then lol and I'm looking to start back up again, hopefully gonna jump on the one coming up in a week.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hello I have just started this game. It seems like they change it a lot over time so a lot of the multi-year old posts I find online for help I do not trust. I got Qs:

These sentinel assholes. Are they just intended to drive you away? They hit real hard and seem to respawn infinitely if I fight so I have no option but to flee. Is this just because I'm early game?

Are there fast early game ways to make money? Everything's really expensive and just selling mined resources does not pay much.

Is there a map somewhere I'm missing? I'll get a nav point and then if I don't go there immediately, I lose track of it and it's gone forever. I have a thing in my starter base that's supposed to find map points, but I can't use it anymore because it says it already marked a building. There is no way to find this building again and clear it out as far as I can tell.

What happens if the teleporter at my base runs out of power? It seems like the generator ticks off run time even when I'm not playing, so if I'm away from the game a couple days and it runs out can I just never jump back to my base? I think I saw there is solar power somewhere in the tech tree but I'm nowhere near having that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello I have just started this game. It seems like they change it a lot over time so a lot of the multi-year old posts I find online for help I do not trust. I got Qs:

These sentinel assholes. Are they just intended to drive you away? They hit real hard and seem to respawn infinitely if I fight so I have no option but to flee. Is this just because I'm early game?

Are there fast early game ways to make money? Everything's really expensive and just selling mined resources does not pay much.

Is there a map somewhere I'm missing? I'll get a nav point and then if I don't go there immediately, I lose track of it and it's gone forever. I have a thing in my starter base that's supposed to find map points, but I can't use it anymore because it says it already marked a building. There is no way to find this building again and clear it out as far as I can tell.

What happens if the teleporter at my base runs out of power? It seems like the generator ticks off run time even when I'm not playing, so if I'm away from the game a couple days and it runs out can I just never jump back to my base? I think I saw there is solar power somewhere in the tech tree but I'm nowhere near having that.

You will get to a place where you can handle sentinels more easily, but early-game it's more sensible to just avoid them.

Making money - yeah, certain items sell for a lot. Most guides ought to still be up to date with that if they're from the last year or so. Bear in mind you can break the game for yourself money-wise, which I do not see as an issue.

Not sure about the map issue!

You can always jump back to your base from the teleporter on any space station, even if your generator back home has lost power. AFAIK.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Once you defeat several waves, including some giant mech types, they shut down and give you a grace period. You can also find a "Sentinel Pillar" which does the same. Early game though? Yeah, run. Or better yet, dig a tunnel with a bunch of twists in it and just hide til they go away.

Grand Fromage posted:

You can still teleport to a non-powered teleporter, just not away from it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Easy way to get money early on is to find a planet with ancient bones and dig those up. They sell for a lot and you can get a few million credits pretty quickly. Usually one of the first things I do during an expedition so I have spending cash.

When scanning planets from space the ancient bones will show up in the list of resources so you don’t have to land on a planet to check for them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And if you have trouble finding a bone planet, check the anomaly for a gather bones mission, it will point you to the nearest one.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

And if you have trouble finding a bone planet, check the anomaly for a gather bones mission, it will point you to the nearest one.

Also if you just stand around in the anomaly for a while, someone is bound to drop a shitload of high value duped items into your inventory that you can sell for what will feel like infinite money early on.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

litany of gulps posted:

Also if you just stand around in the anomaly for a while, someone is bound to drop a shitload of high value duped items into your inventory that you can sell for what will feel like infinite money early on.

Or it could be me, giving everybody 2 units of faecium. No where is safe!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Node posted:

Or it could be me, giving everybody 2 units of faecium. No where is safe!

Found the guy who gives two shits

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

litany of gulps posted:

I had this happen pretty early on, a guy ran up to me and gave me a stack of AI cables or something. I waved at him and then he gave me a single projectile ammo. I didn't know anything about the game and so thought he was just trolling and trying to fill up my tiny inventory so I ran away.

I was quite surprised when I was able to sell those cables for THREE HUNDRED MILLION UNITS. It saved me so much time and bullshit early on, thank you whoever you were!

I just finished this week's expedition and man... your starting stuff is really weak when you're used to S-class multi-tool with all upgrades etc. Sentinels can actually be pretty tough if you're just using a barely-upgraded boltcaster!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i did the whole utopia expedition up until literally the final thing, to install the hyperdrive on your ship. then i forgot and missed the time window

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

sentinels are literally cops. theyre are a pita until you get better weapons. i like the pulse splitter or boltcaster on a rifle type multi tool, with some weapon upgrades. once you get a boltcaster or pulse splitter with 4 s tier upgrades on it then you can just kick their rear end. btw combat is more difficult in vr mode because its harder to reload your weapon and the ship is harder to steer and its harder to recharge your ships shields. but all of it is doable in vr if you want to, just like 15% harder, if youre using that

easiest early game ways to make money are farming ancient bones as said above, or farming storm crystals. you find a planet with storms & the crystals, you wait for a storm for the crystals to open up, and then you fly around and jump out of your ship to grab them. they sell for several hundred thousand units per crystal. the other easiest way but its less "fun" is you set up an oxygen farm with some gas extractors on top of an oxygen hotspot, and then you can make huge amounts of ionized cobalt in a medium or large refiner. 1 ionized cobalt + 2 oxygen = 6 ionized cobalt, so it multiplies up real fast if you have access to a lot of oxygen. and you can sell 9,999 stacks of it for a million units or something i forget exactly. but its boring as hell

the other good way to earn money in the early game i can think of is to install 4 s tier scanner upgrades. you can get 200-400k per animal scanned, or 50k or so per mineral and plant scanned. then you just fly around to new planets and get a million or so units on each one just from scanning, plus you get a small amount of nanites that way too.

theres no real maps, you just gotta give up on that. if its a mission in your mission log, you can click away from the mission to another one and click back and sometimes it brings up the details again. but thats about it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Mission targets are shown in the galaxy map, at least. Story missions can also be reset to center on where you are, in case you moved around so much getting back would be too much of a hassle.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I'm a new player of about a month and man... I love these expeditions. I'm having an almost ludicrously good time playing them. I'd go so far as to say I'd pay a small sub fee if we got one of these a month, that's how much I like them.

The last expedition was the "build a bunch of bases" expedition, and I was kinda scrambling for money and resources a lot during it. This one you start off finding a sentinel interceptor you can sell for like 22,000,000 credits, which makes the early game much easier!

The expeditions also make you appreciate your geared character a lot. When you're standing there mining a rock for 20+ seconds before jumping 10 yards and your jetpack running out of fuel you realize just how awesome all those S-class upgrades are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
…how do I get a hermetic seal on this expedition? My ship won’t take off without one, and I can’t find any way to make one or buy one.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

…how do I get a hermetic seal on this expedition? My ship won’t take off without one, and I can’t find any way to make one or buy one.

You can buy the recipe from the anomaly for a small number of nanites. Edit - read more closely - I had to get some recipe there that wasn’t provided… one of the recipes for a crafting material was provided through one of the early accomplishments, too. Why is your ship unable to take off?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I fixed the launch thruster, but the pulse engine needs repairing first too, and that requires a hermetic seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I fixed the launch thruster, but the pulse engine needs repairing first too, and that requires a hermetic seal.

Do you have an unclaimed reward for finding the ship? Check the expeditions menu.