Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I cant stand things in my ears in general. I was a real pain in the rear end as a child when my ears needed cleaning, or so I’m told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't like stuff in my ears and I don't like stuff on my ears either.. most headphones press uncomfortably into the arms of my glasses. They need to be comically overpadded cans to tolerate for long periods.

I do use airpods pro because at least they pack down small and the tech is pretty great. But I gotta stop using them after an hour because my delicate ear canals get too toasty.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'm an in-ear hater but I ended up picking up the AirPods Pros 2 and I don't know if I hit the ear canal size lottery because they're incredibly comfortable and I forget they're even in after a few seconds. They're less, uh, penetrative than other brands of earbud which helps. They really just form a seal over your ear canal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't love earphones, but I get headaches from most headphones, so I use earphones more often.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SettingSun posted:

I have to do over ear headphones because I can't get airpods to stay in my ears no matter what I do. I'm just sitting at my desk talking on the phone and they'll drop right out. Extremely jealous of anyone who walks around a store or works out with theirs.

Anyway are there any decent over ear sets that aren't outrageously expensive like the Maxs?

Beats Solos are around $200. The only reason I'd recommend them is because they have the Apple chips so they do the quick setup and switching, etc. You can also add apple care.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
My partner had trouble with the Airpods Pro (even with custom foam tips) so she switched to Beats Flex so when they do fall out she doesn't lose them at least. Interestingly they seem to fit better and are falling out less.

I love my Airpods Pro and I forget I'm even wearing them, never had them fall out. Blessed lugholes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Grumbles posted:

I'm an in-ear hater but I ended up picking up the AirPods Pros 2 and I don't know if I hit the ear canal size lottery because they're incredibly comfortable and I forget they're even in after a few seconds. They're less, uh, penetrative than other brands of earbud which helps. They really just form a seal over your ear canal.

I still have to use the large tips due to loose holes :shrug:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Corb3t posted:

Sony WH-1000XM4
I have these and they’re very nice. Battery seems to last a good long time and the sound cancellation is great

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

AirPods Max are very choice aside from the granted large issues of lighting and the downright terrible handbag case.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Also you can’t use them wired if the battery is dead which was disappointment for me on a recent flight

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Apple acknowledge that 3.5mm jacks exist still?? Never!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

I cross checked them before posting my previous reply, but the Canadian model has all of the same bands as the US model except for the mmWave bands. Verizon was/is big on mmWave, but have expanded to C-Band, while T-Mobile and AT&T also have mmWave they're far more focused on the C-Band version of 5G.

Verizon basically only cares about existing mmWave. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they’re really expanding it at all anymore. And obviously for good reason.

They’re VERY big on C Band, which all the phones should have.

my current job is visiting locations that have Verizon home internet (mostly C Band). I’ve been at multiple C Band areas where the speed tests are 500-700, which yeah, really surprises me. I will say, I’m going to places I KNOW get great coverage, so I’m not saying that’s what people should expect, but yeah, C Band can go above 300mb, which is cool. Standard disclaimer that could quite possibly go down as more users are using it, etc.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon basically only cares about existing mmWave. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they’re really expanding it at all anymore. And obviously for good reason.

They’re VERY big on C Band, which all the phones should have.

my current job is visiting locations that have Verizon home internet (mostly C Band). I’ve been at multiple C Band areas where the speed tests are 500-700, which yeah, really surprises me. I will say, I’m going to places I KNOW get great coverage, so I’m not saying that’s what people should expect, but yeah, C Band can go above 300mb, which is cool. Standard disclaimer that could quite possibly go down as more users are using it, etc.

This is veering wildly off topic, but relevant to the Verizon home internet thing, I had a Verizon store rep try to sell me the home internet service a few days ago. When I mentioned it being cellular network based the rep told me that it didn't use the cellular network and instead used the "new" mmWave network. I stopped paying attention to his sales pitch at that exact moment, but I'm pretty sure everything he said afterwards was wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

This is veering wildly off topic, but relevant to the Verizon home internet thing, I had a Verizon store rep try to sell me the home internet service a few days ago. When I mentioned it being cellular network based the rep told me that it didn't use the cellular network and instead used the "new" mmWave network. I stopped paying attention to his sales pitch at that exact moment, but I'm pretty sure everything he said afterwards was wrong.

Yeah I dunno what it uses but these are the speeds I get off it

Which seem to be pretty drat good all in all.

This is what I get on my phone in the same location so the home stuff it’s obviously capped

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 14, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Branch Nvidian posted:

Just download Calcbot 2, it's better than any of the other calculator apps on the App Store.

I use Wolfram Alpha myself, I think they have an Advanced Calculator option as part of their UI whizbang features on iPhone

It has sadly lost some cachet in the era of AI, but I have been a longtime Wolfram user, it still has a place dammit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Corb3t posted:

Sony WH-1000XM4 or XM5s
I have the old X2s and have tried them side by side with the newer ones. not much difference. you might find them for even cheaper

and they work with no battery when wired!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there any reason why some album artwork on my phone should be showing wrong? When I look in iTunes everything seems to be in order, but a few albums are showing art from different albums by the same artist and another is showing art for something that I don't even think should be in my library.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

lol yeah, there’s a lot of pressure to sell the home internet. That was also a terrible sales pitch, because you are correct that everything he was saying was wrong.

We are buying a house this month, and the new place gets VZ 5G, so I’ll have an idea on real usage over the next few weeks.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

I’m not sure if this in a iPhone 15 pro thing or an iOS 17 thing, but I’ve noticed that the camera on this phone seems to favor low iso over a higher shutter speed. My photos are coming out blurry more often than not because it’s trying to take everything at 1/60 and iso 125, when it could opt for a little higher iso and raise the shutter. Any photo of my dog is usually pretty blurry, for example because she’s usually moving. Maybe it’s because it’s putting it in portrait mode automatically? It’s pretty frustrating, I don’t remember the camera on my XS behaving this way.

I think I figured out why this seems to happen more on my new phone. It's putting itself in portrait mode whenever it sees a person or an animal. It seems like portrait mode favors 1/60s or slower for whatever reason, even in broad daylight. I think there's a setting to disable automatic detection, so i'll try disabling that.

Overall though metering just seems to be really weird. I took a photo the other day in relatively low light, but the iso only went up to 1,000 and it chose 1/17s as a shutter speed. It seems like the camera app is making weirder exposure decisions lately. I don't want to have to janitor the camera settings, but previous phones and iOS versions didn't seem to behave as badly.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there any reason why some album artwork on my phone should be showing wrong? When I look in iTunes everything seems to be in order, but a few albums are showing art from different albums by the same artist and another is showing art for something that I don't even think should be in my library.

I've noticed this ever since the iPod Photo days. Something to do with how iOS* handles large libraries and metadata, the album art just eventually gets mixed up.

Sadly, the only fix I've found over the years is to remove the music from my phone and resync it.

*don't @ me with "iPods ran different software", I'm positive the music player we use today is based entirely off of iPod/iPod Touch code

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 16, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Snuffman posted:

I've noticed this ever since the iPod Photo days. Something to do with how iOS* handles large libraries and metadata, the album art just eventually gets mixed up.

Sadly, the only fix I've found over the years is to remove the music from my phone and resync it.

*don't @ me with "iPods ran different software", I'm positive the music player we use today is based entirely off of iPod/iPod Touch code

Honda had to do a warranty replacement of my previous car’s head unit at one point because my iTunes library was so big it was causing it to crash. I don’t know how related that is, but poo poo can be janky.

Apple did eventually change something and it stopped being a problem, but boy was it a problem for a while.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I was going to blame Apple for ignoring local syncing due to going all in on streaming now, but the syncing from iTunes process has always been absolute dogshit. :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does anyone still have an Apple TV 3?
It says my AppleID doesn't have iCloud.
Are they just completed unsupported now?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

It received a security patch in 2022, but the OS it runs was released in 2014. I'm not surprised stuff stopped working. I would strongly suggest replacing it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
How ruthless is apple's trade in program? I'm looking to upgrade my 13 mini to a 15 pro, and I've realised it'd actually be way cheaper per month if I buy a new handset from Apple in instalments, and then a cheap sim-only contract.
However the maths only works out if I also trade in my 13 mini via apple.

It's in excellent condition, and so Apple's UK website has quoted me £300 trade in value.

There are no scratches on the screen, and there's no cosmetic damage anywhere besides at the very top of the bezel, near the notch, there's a small scratch mark.

It's over the black bezel and doesn't come near the screen itself, and only visible in certain lighting conditions. You cant even feel it if you run your finger along it. But it is there.

For phone carriers' trade in schemes that can be enough to half the quoted trade in value. Anyone got any experience with the fruit stand on this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

How ruthless is apple's trade in program? I'm looking to upgrade my 13 mini to a 15 pro, and I've realised it'd actually be way cheaper per month if I buy a new handset from Apple in instalments, and then a cheap sim-only contract.

It's in excellent condition, and so Apple's UK website has quoted me £300 trade in value.

There are no scratches on the screen, and there's no cosmetic damage anywhere besides at the very top of the bezel, near the notch, there's a small scratch mark.

It's over the black bezel and doesn't come near the screen itself, and only visible in certain lighting conditions. You cant even feel it if you run your finger along it. But it is there.

For phone carriers' trade in schemes that can be enough to half the quoted trade in value. Anyone got any experience with the fruit stand on this?

You never know, but Apple doesn’t seem too picky to me. In general, there is also a big line between “scratch” and “hairline fracture and/or crack.”

Based on your description, I honestly think you’re totally fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

The AppleTV 3rd gen stopped getting os upgrades in 2014. :stare:
AppleTV HD, released the same year that updates stopped for yours, is still supported on the latest tvOS. I think it's time to update.

edit: Forgot the 3rd gen doesn't even have an app store

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 17, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Apple has killed part of their iTunes movie store and the legacy devices didn't like it. Nowadays an ATV3 is pretty much to be used as a airplay endpoint and nothing else.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I sent in a 13 pro max with scuffing all along side the left edge of the screen and they gave me full quoted value. The scuffing wasn't super noticeable but you could feel it with your nails.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve traded in an obviously dinged up phone and got max value at the store.

The common wisdom is that if you take it to an Apple Store, they’re usually pretty generous in their trade-in assessments, but if you mail it in, they’ll be assessed by a 3rd party contractor, and they’re usually not.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Glimpse posted:

I’ve traded in an obviously dinged up phone and got max value at the store.

The common wisdom is that if you take it to an Apple Store, they’re usually pretty generous in their trade-in assessments, but if you mail it in, they’ll be assessed by a 3rd party contractor, and they’re usually not.

Both my recent Ultra 2 and 15 Pro Max purchases were trade ins from in-store, and both were "oh yup it's a phone" "it's a watch" and full credit given

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I noticed that Apple has been giving less for trade-in than Best Buy. That's how I got my Apple Watch was through Best Buy

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jose Oquendo posted:

It received a security patch in 2022, but the OS it runs was released in 2014. I'm not surprised stuff stopped working. I would strongly suggest replacing it.

FCKGW posted:

The AppleTV 3rd gen stopped getting os upgrades in 2014. :stare:
AppleTV HD, released the same year that updates stopped for yours, is still supported on the latest tvOS. I think it's time to update.

edit: Forgot the 3rd gen doesn't even have an app store

I think this is the first Apple device I've ever had that "stopped working" solely because it was too old.

The new Apple TVs are also quite a bit more expensive than the 3 ever was.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

~Coxy posted:

I think this is the first Apple device I've ever had that "stopped working" solely because it was too old.

The new Apple TVs are also quite a bit more expensive than the 3 ever was.

They're also quite a bit more powerful and capable. They have full app-stores and can run iOS games. It sucks that your old one just flat out quit working, and I wish Apple (and other companies) didn't force that to happen, but the new ones are simply better in every possible way.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

if you don't really care about the latest and greatest and just want something to play hd video, you can still get older-but-supported apple tv models used for pretty cheap

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Why does Apple hate wishlists so much? They did away with app wishlists and now TV and movie wishlists are on the chopping block too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why does Apple hate wishlists so much? They did away with app wishlists and now TV and movie wishlists are on the chopping block too.

I've yet to see a wishlist on any of these, and I've had an ios device since 2019. :canada:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a big difference in quality between the AirPods Pro 1st gen and the newest ones? I was hoping to get a battery replacement (aka a full replacement for £30 cheaper than a "repair") for my 1st gen set due to the crackling/static issue in one of them, but then I discovered that the battery fee is £49 per loving ear. at which point I'm halfway towards just upgrading to the new ones anyway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

You aren’t supposed to “wish” for stuff, you are supposed to buy what The Algorithm shows gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a big difference in quality between the AirPods Pro 1st gen and the newest ones? I was hoping to get a battery replacement (aka a full replacement for £30 cheaper than a "repair") for my 1st gen set due to the crackling/static issue in one of them, but then I discovered that the battery fee is £49 per loving ear. at which point I'm halfway towards just upgrading to the new ones anyway.

YMMV but I found the noise cancelling to be better in the 2nd gen. They also have slightly better battery life and Find My Support which I 'thin'k' the first gen doesn't.