Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers should do this

https://twitter.com/DanielBrim/status/1735020515939733886

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
and hit Shohei with a steel chair?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are Ohtani and Yamamoto actually friends or anything?
yes they are best friends, as indicated by these images picturing them together

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
holy poo poo lol

https://x.com/AP_Sports/status/1735081566903099869?s=20

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

also turns out it's Walter and Friedman in Ohtani's contract

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1735081566903099869

Friedman just secured himself a 10 year extension, pretty slick

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
You'd think Friedman had won 10 rings, or even one real one.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

what are this A.P. Sport's credentials?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It makes plenty of sense.

Ohtani just spent 6 years getting an up-close look at what incompetent ownership and front office leadership can do to a team. Clearly, he signed with the Dodgers in part because he trusts the people running the show to do a good job building a competitive team. If those people bail, he wants the option to jump ship as well, lest he get stuck with another Arte situation.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1735013944362975388

What Arte PTSD does to a motherfucker

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's legitimately impressive just how much top shelf talent the Angels squandered.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

if he opts out what happens with the deferred money? like if he opted out after 5 years does he still get $68 million a year from 2034-38?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My man is enourmous

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://apnews.com/article/mlb-drug-testing-53e9c3f3914df11ceabb590e51fb6f39

apropos of nothing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1735070062573154398

Very cool and fun that this was all just Harper again and the Cubs made a ton of smoke about how they'd go all in on a generational talent FA when in fact they were never willing to even remotely approach spending what it would take to land them.

So sick of this fuckin' team acting like they're some mid-market schlubs when they play in the third largest city in the country and have a massive dedicated fanbase that spans the continental US thanks to diaspora and national WGN broadcasts back in the day. There's $60M coming off the books after 2024 you miserable cheap fucks, sign some goddamn good players.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

It's legitimately impressive just how much top shelf talent the Angels squandered.

Farte Morono

Boom gottem

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I can't wait for the Dodgers to buy their way to the most hated team in baseball, it'll really take the pressure off.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes unlike the last however many years when the Dodgers were beloved by all baseball fans and played every year with no pressure whatsoever. How will they ever cope with this completely new state of affairs?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The dodgers are more obnoxious than the lebron heat because of the luxury tax fuckery.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Phanatic sexy calendar?

It's the Gritty/Phanatic sextape

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bawfuls posted:

Is there any chance Friedman takes a job with another team

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

Very cool and fun that this was all just Harper again and the Cubs made a ton of smoke about how they'd go all in on a generational talent FA when in fact they were never willing to even remotely approach spending what it would take to land them.

So sick of this fuckin' team acting like they're some mid-market schlubs when they play in the third largest city in the country and have a massive dedicated fanbase that spans the continental US thanks to diaspora and national WGN broadcasts back in the day. There's $60M coming off the books after 2024 you miserable cheap fucks, sign some goddamn good players.

I don’t disagree with you, but all indications are that he never seriously considered anyone except the Dodgers; the Cubs could have offered him $1B/10 and it’d still be questionable that he goes anywhere else (in reality his side would have just gotten the Dodgers to match it).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dodgers hardly even exist since they're on the west coast and play at ungodly hours and get punted before the World Series most years and when they do make the World Series I've stopped giving a poo poo about baseball for the year.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

euphronius posted:

My man is enourmous

God drat I did not think Los Angeles had open carry

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

My man is enourmous

The uniform and the way he moves on the field is deceiving.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Isn't Ohtani's whole thing that he just plays baseball and works out and that's it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah he’s a baseball obsessed weirdo who does literally nothing else but train and play baseball. I mean, whatever- results don’t lie.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

live with fruit posted:

Isn't Ohtani's whole thing that he just plays baseball and works out and that's it?

That describes most professional athletes at the top of their sport.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Worked for Ichiro. High school girls could learn a lesson or two.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

euphronius posted:

My man is enourmous

He should go to the vet

because those pythons are sick

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bank posted:

The uniform and the way he moves on the field is deceiving.

Ohtani boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just relaxing on a Wednesday night looking at big arms

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

You may not be wrong in the larger sense, but all Verducci meant I'm pretty sure is that Ohtani was always only ever going to sign with the Dodgers and negotiations with other teams were purely for the purpose of driving up the price.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there any chance Friedman takes a job with another team

No and it's why Farhan left.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

NieR Occomata posted:

Yeah he’s a baseball obsessed weirdo who does literally nothing else but train and play baseball. I mean, whatever- results don’t lie.

His parents gave him a $1000/month allowance when he was in Japan making $2 million and he only spent $200/month and lived in the rookie dorms.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Somebody in the PL Discord joked that the clause meant Ohtani could pick one person to DFA every year which would have been much funnier.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Inspector_666 posted:

Somebody in the PL Discord joked that the clause meant Ohtani could pick one person to DFA every year which would have been much funnier.

lol

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Ohtani boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling

lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

That describes most professional athletes at the top of their sport.

Michael Jordan also smoked cigars and golfed. Ohtani clearly has a ways to go if he wants to win championships.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Canned Sunshine posted:

Michael Jordan also smoked cigars and golfed. Ohtani clearly has a ways to go if he wants to win championships.

I was thinking more along the lines of Tom Brady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

just lol and lmao if Ohtani and Yamamoto colluded to end up on the Dodgers