Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I hope Stroud recovers and makes the playoffs. Dude is so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

zimbomonkey posted:

you know how i know we've failed? do you know how i know this is rock bottom?

no one clowns on bryce. no one anywhere. nfl stars, even players from opposing teams, don't talk poo poo at all about him. Every time a player tweets or posts or talks at all about bryce young it always has the tone of "well gosh lil buddy, just keep your chin up and work hard and before you know it your dreams will come true." That is not how you talk about someone you respect as a player in the league. You talk about how you beat the poo poo out of them, how they couldn't get it done, you hosed their wife, whatever. Meanwhile these guys are talking to Bryce like he's a loving 9 year old whose parents got divorced. They're like a roomful of adults looking around afraid to be the one to say that maybe, just maybe, MAYBE Mom and Dad could have stayed together if you hadn't strained their relationship by being an annoying little poo poo. It is very possible that Bryce Young can't play football professionally due to size/physical limitations and that Frank Reich's playcalling and scheme are wet doodoo rear end.

bryce young is basically the nfl's make a wish kid.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/10/nfl-fans-felt-bad-bryce-young-panthers-saints

This poo poo again. Poor ol Bryce, thought of throwing and died.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In case you missed the latest goat simulator mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8-zFVHai8

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bucs beat writer sums it up

quote:

Panthers rookie Bryce Young went 13-for-36 in loss to Saints yesterday -- that's 36 percent completions, easily the worst by any QB in game with 20+ passes this season. Josh Dobbs and C.J. Stroud both went 10-for-23 (43%) last night -- three worst comp % games of 2023 in 1 week.

https://x.com/gregauman/status/1734197899381141580?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This is with over 200 yards on the ground.

At this point I dont think we need to worry about what it takes for him to make the jump to elite nfl starter, or even to anyone worth what was spent to get him. We probably need to worry about him making the jump to backup quarterback. Yesterday looked like a practice squad qb.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

zimbomonkey posted:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/10/nfl-fans-felt-bad-bryce-young-panthers-saints

This poo poo again. Poor ol Bryce, thought of throwing and died.

As a fan of the bears, I’ve been somewhat enjoying this, but yesterday was just sad

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
They should draft bo nix

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

FizFashizzle posted:

In case you missed the latest goat simulator mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8-zFVHai8

I will say this for Bryce Young: he has not been atomized by a hit yet.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He looked really really bad against the saints. I’m ready officially leave the “Bryce can absolutely still be a franchise qb” bandwagon I helped pioneer

I won’t jump on the bust bandwagon but he’s got a lot of work to do

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Does he look like a shattered vessel of a manling yet?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Amy Pole Her posted:

He looked really really bad against the saints. I’m ready officially leave the “Bryce can absolutely still be a franchise qb” bandwagon I helped pioneer

I won’t jump on the bust bandwagon but he’s got a lot of work to do

If he’s not a franchise qb then he’s a bust.

Has any other qb in recent history been this bad then became good?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If he’s not a franchise qb then he’s a bust.

Has any other qb in recent history been this bad then became good?

Alex Smith was pretty awful early on, but that isn't super encouraging comp for a dude you traded up to get and have to spend a ton more in resources to even make possibly workable.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Did Rosen just get one season before they traded him? Carolina should just trade him to the Vikings or something and call it a day. I know they won't but they should

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Parallax posted:

Did Rosen just get one season before they traded him? Carolina should just trade him to the Vikings or something and call it a day. I know they won't but they should

The Cardinals only did that because they had the #1 pick in the draft to get Kyler.

The Panthers are capital F hosed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the Panthers don’t even have a first round pick. There is zero reason not to try Young out another year and hope he can be fixed. If he’s still bad by year three you can safely move on

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Bryce needs to gain about 6 inches and 50lbs

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

biceps crimes posted:

Bryce needs to gain about 6 inches and 50lbs

wife tells me the same thing

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the Panthers don’t even have a first round pick. There is zero reason not to try Young out another year and hope he can be fixed. If he’s still bad by year three you can safely move on

the best thing about Bryce being a massive bust in year 2 is they'll finally have a 1st round pick they can use to replace him. so yea, you gotta start him all next year too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What if they trade it again to get like Williams and he gets hurt

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

trade bryce for a 2nd to a very proud gm who thinks he's a genius and then draft a large sized qb in the second round. just kidding. spend all of your money that you have in free agency and keep on brycing next year and the year after that. anything less would be uncivilized

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its this.

You have to stick with him at this point. Either way Dalton is signed through next year too. So just draft the best wide receiver available at the turn in round 2

Sign the best guy you can, tag Brian Burns if he wants to leave ans trade him for the most you can.

Be ready to suck completely in 2024 and if he is a thing and turns it around great. If not you have a bunch of guys on rookie deals and you draft what you can in 2025.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Will Levis: pretty good!

He’s willing to sacrifice his body in an Allen-esque way which is scary but fun to watch. His mechanics seem a little weird but he’s got plenty of arm and has no problem getting the ball down the field. He was smart with the checkdowns, stood tall in the pocket. I like him!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

AndrewP posted:

Will Levis: pretty good!

He’s willing to sacrifice his body in an Allen-esque way which is scary but fun to watch. His mechanics seem a little weird but he’s got plenty of arm and has no problem getting the ball down the field. He was smart with the checkdowns, stood tall in the pocket. I like him!

I think I said "That's a weird throwing motion" at least 15 times last night watching Levis.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

MrLogan posted:

I think I said "That's a weird throwing motion" at least 15 times last night watching Levis.

I don't believe this; it's not about the reffing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHs3_T4CVLY

I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion (I don't think Brock or Dak are their team's MVP), but he makes good arguments.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'd have no problem giving Purdy the MVP at this point. Quarterbacking is such a complicated marriage of the player, the scheme and their surrounding talent that I think I'm okay with just giving it to the guy with the best stats and calling it a day.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Considering he's looked the best against serious contenders I tend to agree. Unless someone like Lamar, Reek or CMC goes thermonuclear in the last few games.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think it's gonna be extra valuable to retain WRs when it comes to levis. he leaves a couple of completion percentage points on the table solely from strange throws that are unusual to catch in terms of approach angle, timing of the throw, and velocity. keep guys he likes who become very familiar with it all

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

i think it's gonna be extra valuable to retain WRs when it comes to levis. he leaves a couple of completion percentage points on the table solely from strange throws that are unusual to catch in terms of approach angle, timing of the throw, and velocity. keep guys he likes who become very familiar with it all

Billy Jeans needs fast wr and jump wr to haul in them big throws

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Levis needed Wandale Robinson in 2021 at UK - Robinson was a catch everything guy. Dane Key/Barion Brown as freshmen in 2022 hurt his completion % even if they are pretty good college WRs.

If you keep a couple of catch everything guys, Levis can be a pretty good QB. He needs to develop some concern for his own longevity, but you have to imagine his teammates respect the hell out of him for trucking a CB.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That play by Levis is my favorite (of any player's) of the year by far. Just seeing him shoot out of the line to force and recover the fumble was amazing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Stupid rear end draftniks like me forgot that Levis is 100% dawg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

AndrewP posted:

I'd have no problem giving Purdy the MVP at this point. Quarterbacking is such a complicated marriage of the player, the scheme and their surrounding talent that I think I'm okay with just giving it to the guy with the best stats and calling it a day.

I guess. I just get tired of the award being MVQB on the best team and I think there's an argument for a non QB this year.

Christian Mccaffrey and Tyreek Hill immediately spring to mind.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'd probably vote for CMC or Tyreek BUT one of my friends bought me a Purdy jersey over the offseason as a half-joke for my birthday because I already loved him and was very annoying about it lol. So I'd very much enjoy my boy winning it.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

BlindSite posted:

Considering he's looked the best against serious contenders I tend to agree. Unless someone like Lamar, Reek or CMC goes thermonuclear in the last few games.

The problem with Brock and the Dak is they've had cupcake schedules this year. Lamar has been winning with a harder schedule and worse surrounding talent. Brock looked awful when the best player on the Niners was out (Trent Williams).

Really, it should be Tyreek, tho.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ozymandius1024 posted:

Alex Smith was pretty awful early on

Which turned out to be a coaching issue. As soon as he was playing for a competent, let alone good coach he was a very good QB. His stats and win/loss rate speak for themselves.

MrLogan posted:

Brock looked awful when the best player on the Niners was out (Trent Williams).

Brock was concussed at some point in the Vikings game and was only cleared to play against the Bengals the day before the game. Based on how he performed against the Bengals, he was cleared too soon. The heart of what makes Purdy special is decision making and timing, he was obviously not at 100% in that game.

If Purdy wins MVP, it's definitely an MVQB situation. He deserves that award by the numbers and win-rate when things are fully in his hands. CMC has improved the 49ers' scoring average by a TD per game since he came to SF. Mitchell and Mason are very good RBs who would be starting on a lot of teams, but we wouldn't be scoring the way we do without CMC.

tl;dr Give it to CMC, but I won't bitch if Purdy gets it. Any way you slice it, the MVP this year is wearing red and gold.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 14, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mccaffrey needs a healthy purdy in order to win. purdy barely needed him to blow out the cowboys. purdy is the mvp :)

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MrLogan posted:

The problem with Brock and the Dak is they've had cupcake schedules this year. Lamar has been winning with a harder schedule and worse surrounding talent. Brock looked awful when the best player on the Niners was out (Trent Williams).

Really, it should be Tyreek, tho.

Dallas has had a pretty easy schedule but the 49ers opponent record so far is 90-79 with 8 games against current playoff teams. They've played as many 10 win teams as last place teams and one of the last place teams was Cincinnati. I dunno how that compares to Baltimore but with the AFC North and the NFC West playing each other this year, I'd guess they aren't that far apart.

And I'm gonna go to my grave telling people who do not care that I didn't think Brock looked awful when Trent and Deebo were out. The picks make them his worst games but he still looked galaxies beyond like Mac Jones or whatever.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mllaneza posted:

Which turned out to be a coaching issue. As soon as he was playing for a competent, let alone good coach he was a very good QB. His stats and win/loss rate speak for themselves.

Brock was concussed at some point in the Vikings game and was only cleared to play against the Bengals the day before the game. Based on how he performed against the Bengals, he was cleared too soon. The heart of what makes Purdy special is decision making and timing, he was obviously not at 100% in that game.

If Purdy wins MVP, it's definitely an MVQB situation. He deserves that award by the numbers and win-rate when things are fully in his hands. CMC has improved the 49ers' scoring average by a TD per game since he came to SF. Mitchell and Mason are very good RBs who would be starting on a lot of teams, but we wouldn't be scoring the way we do without CMC.

tl;dr Give it to CMC, but I won't bitch if Purdy gets it. Any way you slice it, the MVP this year is wearing red and gold.

Someone on the ringer podcast pulled the stats and if you only included Purdy’s passes that were at or behind the line of scrimmage he’s a top 5 qb in basically every category. That’s not praise for Purdy, that’s damning evidence. Last week he dumped a check down and it went 50 yards YAC!!!

Purdy is absolutely in the best scheme on an incredibly stacked roster. He does not deserve the MVP. The success of the 49ers is not due to his greatness. The success of the 49ers is due to everything around Purdy, who is just a competent quarterback that can throw it deep (unlike early Jimmy G).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Brock Purdy has not thrown 20+ TDs and 3000 yards on throws behind the line of scrimmage lmfao give me a break