Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/leo_puglisi6/status/1734689299109646665

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its weird that we aren't voting with the us

We must have grown a bit of a spine at some point

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Killing thousands of children for revenge must not be that popular.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
quelle surprise

https://twitter.com/antoinette_news/status/1734744311408017682

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
AI generated audio over video legitimately worries me and disinformation as an industry is at the cutting edge of this stuff

There's a video in the US that appears to show a US Marine saying bring back Donald Trump to Joe Biden on a stage but Snopes found that the original video never had such a thing occur and the whole thing was ai edited lip syncing and voice reproduction over the actual voice and video and it's gone through American social media like 30 million times and you wouldn't know it was fake unless you had a factchecker bookmarked or something.

That is scary as hell to democracy and society as a whole.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's too loving hot. I hate this loving country

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
yeah ai is demolishing the integrity of video/audio evidence to further the aims of bad actors that want to spread misinformation in an age where misinformation was already rampant but also it allows us to make great meme videos of tumblr copypasta so whos to say if its bad or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ktnQAC3TQ

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

I think it's just plainly and obviously untenable. Even the US media has redounded to front paging ivy league culture war about poo poo like

https://twitter.com/sahar_tartak/status/1734431345122607484?t=OgG0-6mf6sIAHlbtKe47AQ&s=19

Because nothing of substance that actually matters at all points towards anything but venal genocide

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

I think it's just plainly and obviously untenable. Even the US media has redounded to front paging ivy league culture war about poo poo like

https://twitter.com/sahar_tartak/status/1734431345122607484?t=OgG0-6mf6sIAHlbtKe47AQ&s=19

Because nothing of substance that actually matters at all points towards anything but venal genocide

Snitch tagging is one thing, this list of people is ... something else

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

How much of a loving psycho do you have to be to pearl clutch about and try rederict to Yale Corp. LLC changing the name of your salad (and then apparently changing it right back according to twitter) when this poo poo is happening to the Islamic University of Gaza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNZzufcyplg

It's ... straight up gone

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

My cat has started shedding like a beast because the heat's gone up. I'm gonna call him an antisemite and chuck him in the woods

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Snitch tagging is one thing, this list of people is ... something else

Part one of two

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 13, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Captain Theron posted:

Immigration is good and a boon to our economy that helps everyone. It's only impacting housing and infrastructure due to decades of mismanagement. We have plenty of space in Australia, and we produce far more food than we need domestically. We need to be far more proactive about increasing density in our existing cities and we should be encouraging growth in regional centres, including ensuring well paying work and social services.

The issue is water. We've been lucky lately but water is not a plentiful resource for 95% of the country and is highly drought-prone. Studies I've seen is 35 million is the cap for having any real margin for water resources and if anything places like Sydney are arguably not that far off not having enough water to make it through a drought even with de-sal

Also most of the space is in reality real hostile to humans with poo poo soil. Your only real areas for decent population remains the SE seaboard - which also happens to be the best farmland and the only place with half decent rainfall.

All comes down to water and your options there are either hideously expensive/impractical or enviromentally destructive.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The issue is water. We've been lucky lately but water is not a plentiful resource for 95% of the country and is highly drought-prone. Studies I've seen is 35 million is the cap for having any real margin for water resources and if anything places like Sydney are arguably not that far off not having enough water to make it through a drought even with de-sal

Also most of the space is in reality real hostile to humans with poo poo soil. Your only real areas for decent population remains the SE seaboard - which also happens to be the best farmland and the only place with half decent rainfall.

All comes down to water and your options there are either hideously expensive/impractical or enviromentally destructive.

True, but we're fortunate that most of the areas that lack water have a lot of sun. We could easily have unlimited de-sal plants powered by solar if we were serious. It's not cheap to set up, but it would be a sensible thing even if we don't have much population growth given the worsening climate.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
isnt the de sal plant in north sydney hosed in some way because its hardly been used?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

isnt the de sal plant in north sydney hosed in some way because its hardly been used?

I believe so, yeah. We half heatedly built a few in the previous drought but by the time they were brought online they weren't needed, and powering them through the existing power grid is hideously expensive so they were basically immediately shuttered. It's a good thing we'll never have a drought again, hey?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Captain Theron posted:

True, but we're fortunate that most of the areas that lack water have a lot of sun. We could easily have unlimited de-sal plants powered by solar if we were serious. It's not cheap to set up, but it would be a sensible thing even if we don't have much population growth given the worsening climate.

iirc pumping water inland for desal is prohibatively expensive so at best youre looking at moderately better food production along the west coast. imo we should simply abandon dry vine wine production and use desal to irrigate and produce incredibly copious quantities of low quality table wines to sell and use that money to buy soylent from america for food security

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Who is this "water"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Captain Theron posted:

I wonder if recycling waste water would be more efficient than desal?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

froglet posted:

I wonder if recycling waste water would be more efficient than desal?

It's certainly more effluent :dumbrim:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Doesn't desal also have a pretty huge waste problem that no-one ever seems to talk about?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Hey people of Perth, stop putting down thick grassy english lawns in a city vulnerable to climate change and then watering the bejesus out of them all Summer long. What? I can go gently caress myself? Well, I tried...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/13/knitting-nannas-claim-partial-victory-in-nsw-anti-protest-law-challenge

Small victories.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SecretOfSteel posted:

Hey people of Perth, stop putting down thick grassy english lawns in a city vulnerable to climate change and then watering the bejesus out of them all Summer long.

no

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Captain Theron posted:

Welcome to the reality of Perth.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

SecretOfSteel posted:

Hey people of Perth, stop putting down thick grassy english lawns in a city vulnerable to climate change and then watering the bejesus out of them all Summer long. What? I can go gently caress myself? Well, I tried...

Joondalup Delenda Est.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Peccadillo posted:

Who is this "water"

Piss

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Don't go look at Kalgoorlie. I visited my sister there from Melbourne around 2009 or so when there were water restrictions in Melbourne. Watched sprinklers going during the day on a golf course during WA summer.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Elissimpark posted:

Don't go look at Kalgoorlie. I visited my sister there from Melbourne around 2009 or so when there were water restrictions in Melbourne. Watched sprinklers going during the day on a golf course during WA summer.

kalgoorlie gets almost all its water pumped from perth too

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9opxjW3TJI

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

senate in agreement: capitalism works

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Animal Friend posted:

two-party-preferred: capitalism works

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

SecretOfSteel posted:

Perth's water supply is more than 50% desal these days

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Spookydonut posted:

kalgoorlie gets almost all its water pumped from perth too

And industrially 10 years ago it was charged at $10 a tonne/M3. If you charged farmers that sort of price, there would be tears.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
perths water being 50% diesel makes a lot of sense

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why do councils think anyone gives a poo poo about saying merry Christmas?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

On another note: what is everybody's opinion on immigration levels, particularly as it pertains to the housing crisis? I noticed Albanese's "crackdown" announcement came and went without comment.

My personal take is that I am still an inner-city latte-sipping lefty who is instinctively suspicious of political talk around immigration, but am also beginning to think that a discussion around levels shouldn't be off the table during a rental crisis? Particularly since - and I'm not an economist - I've often wondered why Howard took such a hard line on refugees while also presiding over a massive, colourblind intake of legal migrants who met certain skills categories; and the answer as far as I can tell is that "immigration keeps the price of labour cheap and the Liberals hate the unions more than they hate foreigners."

I personally don't give a gently caress whether migrants come from England or India, and prefer living in a multicultural society to what I imagine Australia was like in the '70s, but this goes back to what I said before about Melbourne going from 4 million to 5 million in a decade, and the infrastructure (let alone the availability of housing) not keeping up. I don't know. I am drifting from being instinctively pro-immigration to being agnostic, and wondering if my cosmopolitan sympathies have been exploited by neoliberals.

(I am also vaguely aware that some kind of Protectionist/Free Trade argument played out along similar lines 100 years ago.)
I’m not enthusiastic about it. To be clear this is referring to immigration the economic policy, not immigrants the people.
Higher population means either more urban sprawl or increased population density, more money needing to be spent on infrastructure that has already barely meets existing need, and I am not convinced of much of the economic arguments for it. It does make the headline GDP figures look better but GDP per capita is either stagnant or declining.

It’s also an equality and quality of life issue. The people calling for higher immigration levels are very seldom the lower income earners who are going to be expected to live in high density housing, put up with long commutes and are unlikely to afford big trips into the countryside to get away from the crowds.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

JBP posted:

Goons have historically been very upset about Christmas being rammed down people’s throats via the devious placement of tinsel in buses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

Apparently the people of Stonnington care a great deal!