Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Playing Blood West at the moment and it's pretty neat. It has a pet peeve of mine though: I don't really like it when these RPGs have all these fun skills to invest in, but one of them is 'get 5/10/15% more exp' and 'get 5/10/15% more gold' or whatever. It always makes me annoyed that I feel like I need to invest in them to be efficient in long-term, but wonder if it's actually going to make a difference when you factor in the point investment versus game length: am I just going to end up breaking even, or maybe at a loss? And why do I need to trade in immediate fun for efficiency: I want to get the cool perks now, and I'm sure going for the exp perks just leads to people getting bored with the game due to being stuck with a bland skillset for so long! Anyway, while usually I would go for these perks, this time I don't think I'm going to bother, and I'd prefer if games just get rid of these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

kazil posted:

use code GOONER

The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

FishMcCool posted:

The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in.

I understood that reference

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mind over Magic is out today - did anyone play it in the next fest?

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I bought and started playing Signalis yesterday, and that looks like it could be a good game on a handheld. It's a survival horror game from a third person fixed perspective, like the OG Resident Evil, but the perspective is per-room instead of cinematic shots. The game also defaults to having a "modern" control scheme so pressing up always moves you towards the top of the screen.

The story seems pretty good so far (I've played about 4 hours, up to the first boss) and I'm intrigued to see where it goes. There's a lot of mystery going on with what is going on, why you are where you are, and so on.

Other recommendations are Disgaea 7 if you're into SRPGs where the goal is "make number go up."

In the more metrovania bucket, Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, though that is marked as only "Playable" for the steam deck, signifying that some things may require the touch screen and may sometime shows KBM or XBOX button prompts.

Miscellaneous recommendations:
Lunacid a first person RPG in the style of the old Kings Field games.

Hi-Fi Rush a rhythm action game that is really well made and oozes style. Every animation from characters to the environment to even cutscenes are synched with whatever music is currently playing.

Halls of Torment is a very fun Vampire Survivors-like with more RPG elements like gear and direct control of your attacks. Visuals are like old school Diablo.

tildes posted:

Steamworld Dig 2 and Dave the Diver were good I thought.

Thanks for the tips!

Halls of Torment and Steamworld Dig 2 look like prime candidates.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tango alpha delta posted:

I understood that reference

I'm.... uhh... putting a pony on Liverpool this weekend....

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
a steam game I def would play on a handheld:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1244800/Terraformers/ one of my favorite games this year

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I'm.... uhh... putting a pony on Liverpool this weekend....
Are we not men?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We're in too deep! :cry:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

We might be all hoity toity with our presumptuously refined tastes in here, but 'gamers' are a bit of a niche market compared to the real profit generators. Nobody here even plays mobile games!

There was a period a few years back where I did play mobile games, or one in particular, mostly to keep myself busy during my daily commute (by train) to and from Brussels. At one point I even started buying booster packs and things like that, reasoning that I had already spent so much time playing this free game, it was no big deal. Fortunately I quickly realized what was happening, and uninstalled before I could become a true whale.

Let this be a cautionary tale to all goons, do not start playing RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS even if every content creator on Earth recommends it

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Wartales expansion is out. No news to anyone here probably, but If you liked battle brothers, mount and blade's straregy map, or XCOM, you'll probably like Wartales.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/message-from-total-war-leadership-dec-2023/

quote:

Dear Total War fans,

I’m Roger Collum, Vice President at Creative Assembly, and writing on behalf of our Total War leadership team.

It has been a difficult few months, and we recognize that we have made mistakes when it comes to our relationship with you all. It’s been a constant conversation internally on how we can get back to solid ground. What’s clear is that it won’t be easy and that it will take time and effort.

We see the confusion, the frustration, and the distrust of us across the community and honestly, it breaks our hearts. We make games to bring you joy, to inspire a love of history, of fantasy, and strategy games. Total War is our everything, we care about it as deeply as you. Recently, it’s clear that we have failed to demonstrate that in our actions.

We are sorry.

We cannot fix our issues overnight, but we will work towards a more transparent, and consistent relationship with you all.

Total War is a big and complex ship to steer, built on decades of knowledge, passion and technology. The slow and steady pace we’ve taken up till now has benefited us in the past, but today we see the need to react faster to help address the challenges that are ahead of us.

So, let’s talk about those challenges, and what you can expect from both Total War: WARHAMMER III, and Total War: PHARAOH going forward.

ah the ol' gently caress around and find out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the backstory there? My Creative Assembly lore knowledge is scant.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the backstory there? My Creative Assembly lore knowledge is scant.

They absolutely shitted out the last couple of Total War games because they were focusing on Hyenas, the stupidly large budget extraction shooter that Sega really wanted them to make, that was so shamefully bad thast they scrapped it right after anyone got hands on it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Jack Trades posted:

They absolutely shitted out the last couple of Total War games

This part I very much disagree with. TWW3 as a game is great, and Pharaoh seems pretty much just about what you’d expect from their previous SAGA games. The problems were increasing prices for Pharaoh and the expansions for TWW and the slow pace of updating/bug fixing the games. All of which have been spoken to in this note.

I agree it was probably because a lot of TW developers had to be pulled in to try and do something about Hyenas, and to that end I think CA/Sega made the right choice in cancelling it and focusing back on what they’re good at.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Have those games just been mediocre lately or are they fundamentally broken somehow?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

explosivo posted:

Have those games just been mediocre lately or are they fundamentally broken somehow?

cant speak for pharaoh but TW3 is a crazy ambitious game that mostly pulls it off. Theres a million little bugs and usability stuff that has been in the series forever, but the game itself works and is a ton of fun

the big stink came from charging $25 for the most recent dlc and the content it added was pretty drat lackluster for that price. The old prices for similar content was $15 and even at that price, the dlc would still be mediocre

they also kept introducing bugs with each big patch, which is really frustrating because there used to be months and months between patches where some of the bugs were super obvious and broke some of the characters

ever since Hyenas (the f2p extraction shooter from CA that no one wanted) got cancelled, theyve been releasing hot fix patches at break-neck pace. CA honestly seems to be trying to fix their broken relationship with the customers and between the patches and the partial refund for pharaoh, it looks like they arent bullshitting

Anno
May 10, 2017

explosivo posted:

The SAGA games have always been kinda mid, used to test new gameplay ideas or focus on points in history too small for a full sized game but without a huge budget. Which is why they haven’t been full priced games.

TWW3’a launch campaign was pretty meh, but the actual issue is how long it took to update to the Immortal Empires campaign and bug fix it after that. Then they launched an expansion that had 30-40% more content than their previous game’s expansion model but for almost 3x the cost, and that was the final straw that ultimately led to this.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The overpriced expansions are also necessary to give the 4 chaos demon factions well-rounded rosters which is kind of a bummer

Anno
May 10, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

The overpriced expansions are also necessary to give the 4 chaos demon factions well-rounded rosters which is kind of a bummer

Under the TWW2 model people wouldn’t really care, though. They’d want them just for the unique characters and new campaign mechanics and updates to old races etc. etc. Like they had the model perfected, people were begging for more expansions. I think they could even get away with a price increase, just not the crazy one they did while making the model worse.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

cant speak for pharaoh but TW3 is a crazy ambitious game that mostly pulls it off. Theres a million little bugs and usability stuff that has been in the series forever, but the game itself works and is a ton of fun

the big stink came from charging $25 for the most recent dlc and the content it added was pretty drat lackluster for that price. The old prices for similar content was $15 and even at that price, the dlc would still be mediocre

they also kept introducing bugs with each big patch, which is really frustrating because there used to be months and months between patches where some of the bugs were super obvious and broke some of the characters

ever since Hyenas (the f2p extraction shooter from CA that no one wanted) got cancelled, theyve been releasing hot fix patches at break-neck pace. CA honestly seems to be trying to fix their broken relationship with the customers and between the patches and the partial refund for pharaoh, it looks like they arent bullshitting

Yeah the recent expansion both costing a lot more and not adding nearly as much really set people off on TWW3. I'm a pretty big fan who has all of the previous DLC but even I haven't purchased it.

e: Also they used to give out some pretty generous free DLC stuff (heroes, LLs, etc) that hasn't been seen nearly as much lately.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My autism zero'ed in on this game and I kinda really want to get it https://store.steampowered.com/app/2002570/SeaOrama_World_of_Shipping/ wouldn't mind some user reviews first though, but it looks perfect for the kinda sims I enjoy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

My autism zero'ed in on this game and I kinda really want to get it https://store.steampowered.com/app/2002570/SeaOrama_World_of_Shipping/ wouldn't mind some user reviews first though, but it looks perfect for the kinda sims I enjoy.

If they nerfed ANTWERP I'm going to be pissed

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah the recent expansion both costing a lot more and not adding nearly as much really set people off on TWW3. I'm a pretty big fan who has all of the previous DLC but even I haven't purchased it.
Well, that, and them not fixing any bugs for a long, long time, including gamebreaking ones.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PowerWash Simulator just got a free Santa's Workshop update

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you get to powerwash the reindeer, or just the sled?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Hwurmp posted:

PowerWash Simulator just got a free Santa's Workshop update

I haven't seen it but I hope it's just the Viscera Cleanup Detail level but with a power washer.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Well, that, and them not fixing any bugs for a long, long time, including gamebreaking ones.

This was what tanked my interest in WHIII after playing it initially for good amount of time. After waiting multiple months for big updates that fixed old stuff and then broke other stuff that wouldn’t be fixed for another few months, I was ready to just put off playing more until they were done. The increased update cadence brought me back though, I’m so glad they’ve made that change.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's a little red "1" on the steam app icon on my tablet I just installed steam on but I have no notifications or invites I can see, how do I clear it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Do you get to powerwash the reindeer, or just the sled?

they appear to be out playing reindeer games but they have done an impressive job of making GBS threads on the ceiling

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Hmm, Epic sale along with the 33% off coupon is pretty tempting: Sifu for $13, Stranger of Paradise for $16, HITMAN World of Assassination for $19, Returnal and Lords of the Fallen around $25, and so on. Wonder if I should just go for it or stay away: just to check since I haven't been keeping up, is there any big reason to avoid the Epic store at the moment, apart from the split library? I suppose I lose out on easy Steam refunds.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I said come in! posted:

It's free with Prime on Twitch right now, fwiw.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

FutureCop posted:

Hmm, Epic sale along with the 33% off coupon is pretty tempting: Sifu for $13, Stranger of Paradise for $16, HITMAN World of Assassination for $19, Returnal and Lords of the Fallen around $25, and so on. Wonder if I should just go for it or stay away: just to check since I haven't been keeping up, is there any big reason to avoid the Epic store at the moment, apart from the split library? I suppose I lose out on easy Steam refunds.

The main reason for me to try to avoid it is that it's a pain in the rear end to get things working on the steam deck. I've not had any real problems with the epic store for things like Alan Wake 2 that make me use it though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Today I realized that every time I look at my Steam library and don't see anything I want to play, I just reinstall Battle Brothers.

Probably the best purchase I've ever made on Steam through the years.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FutureCop posted:

Nah it's adequate.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Scary games to play in the Dark (encore): https://www.humblebundle.com/games/scary-games-to-play-in-dark-holiday-encore

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

drat, they really must be worried

And to think I just came here to post about House Flipper 2

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

anilEhilated posted:

I feel like that's kind of always been the case with them and not really a recent thing though

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Broken Cog posted:

Today I realized that every time I look at my Steam library and don't see anything I want to play, I just reinstall Battle Brothers.

Probably the best purchase I've ever made on Steam through the years.
Same, that game is so good. I keep Into the Breach and Battle Bros handy in case I can't find anything to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Epic store mostly works fine now and the most annoying part at this point to me is that I could not figure out how to turn off achievement notifications/sounds in Epic which really killed the vibe at points when a loud upbeat sound plays in a horror game. Also Sifu is incredibly good.