Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

JamMasterJim posted:

Imagine going Bounty Hunter and having to manage 'prey' too.

I went bounty hunter on Pasqal and I barely use it, although the one talent that gives him 2 AP but no attacks every time something does to a crit is very funny, it basically allows me to keep stacking exploits and expose vulnerabilities on enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have a Bounty Hunter sniper and I mostly just use it for a 1 AP attack that doesn't use up an attack. The damage is a joke compared to Assassin though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Welp, played the vast majority of the game and now every time I enter combat it black screens. Love this jank company, hopefully a patch fixes it soon.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Currently the main purpose of my bounty hunter is to use cull the bold to give a deflection reduction to a boss, which gives a flat damage bonus to every shot in Argenta's burst.

I'm hitting a groove now with my party. Every standard fight is usually:

1. My officer main character uses his extra turn to buff Argenta.
2. Pasqal the grand strategist throws down a shooty zone on Argenta, a dodgy zone on Cassia and a frontline zone in the place where Argenta is about to commit a war crime. Then throws out some buffs/debuffs and maybe zzzzaps someone with his plasma gun.
3. Cassia uses her Grand Strategist turn to herd everyone into the frontline zone. Then uses bring it down on Argenta who burst fires into the zone, usually killing everything. Thanks to my MC buffs this probably gets a heroic action, so she uses at and kills more things.
4. Cassia gets to spam her single target nuke a few times (she gets two uses thanks to her staff and thanks to Pasqal's dodgy zone it's at 0ap). If I didn't get a heroic action already I get it now, use it to give Argenta a turn for more murders.
5. My main character goes for real and gives Argenta another go. She kills more things.
6. Abelard and Ydriel clean up the few remaining survivors.

I've barely ever gotten to use Abelard's vanguard stuff as usually we kill everything too fast.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Deliberately started over as a non-officer and limiting myself to only Cassia so I don't end up doing the OP Officer Extra Turn Circle Jerk and actually engage with some of the systems

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Further Reading posted:

Currently the main purpose of my bounty hunter is to use cull the bold to give a deflection reduction to a boss, which gives a flat damage bonus to every shot in Argenta's burst.

I'm hitting a groove now with my party. Every standard fight is usually:

1. My officer main character uses his extra turn to buff Argenta.
2. Pasqal the grand strategist throws down a shooty zone on Argenta, a dodgy zone on Cassia and a frontline zone in the place where Argenta is about to commit a war crime. Then throws out some buffs/debuffs and maybe zzzzaps someone with his plasma gun.
3. Cassia uses her Grand Strategist turn to herd everyone into the frontline zone. Then uses bring it down on Argenta who burst fires into the zone, usually killing everything. Thanks to my MC buffs this probably gets a heroic action, so she uses at and kills more things.
4. Cassia gets to spam her single target nuke a few times (she gets two uses thanks to her staff and thanks to Pasqal's dodgy zone it's at 0ap). If I didn't get a heroic action already I get it now, use it to give Argenta a turn for more murders.
5. My main character goes for real and gives Argenta another go. She kills more things.
6. Abelard and Ydriel clean up the few remaining survivors.

I've barely ever gotten to use Abelard's vanguard stuff as usually we kill everything too fast.

My flow is similar:

1. Trader throws Voice and the Resolve buff on Argenta during her free turn
2. Cassia places Grand Strategist areas in her free turn, moves enemies around, then gives Argenta a free turn
3. Argenta bathes everything in Heavy Flamer fire, or Heavy Bolter fire if ranges and positioning don't work out, slaps that free momentum button
4. One of Argenta, Cassia, or the Trader goes, proccing the first Heroic Action and passing that action into Argenta
5. Argenta hits Steady Superiority and starts making 3 attacks per turn
6. Yrliet and Pasqal clean up whatever is left
7. Abelard body-blocks if for some reason things are still alive

After that, Argenta has so many stacks of Versatility that she can use the second and third heroic action procs off Cassia and the Trader to run around completely disregarding cover between Run and Gun and one of the AM talents... the one that gives you MP and doubles your Versatility stacks.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
With the arch militant, I only just got into Footfall after finishing act 1 relatively late last night and only did a couple fights before stopping for the night. I didn't notice any sort of heads up on the UI of which type of attack I used last on Argenta but I also wasn't really looking, is there some sort of "hey dummy" notification in the buff column cause I'm doing all this turn swapping/extra attacks stuff on her as others are saying and it would be useful.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can you possibly sway party members towards a different ideology than the one they start with, as the story progresses?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JamMasterJim posted:

Imagine going Bounty Hunter and having to manage 'prey' too.

Prey is so bad lol.

Here's some Temp Wounds I guess.
Or put it on the big scary things, but gently caress letting the Bounty Hunter get the kill because it makes more sense to just kill it ASAP with whoever you can.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Welp, got stuck in Act 4 in the bar because the exit point disappeared.

Guessing I have to wait a few more months before this is playable, like every other Owlcat game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Welp, got stuck in Act 4 in the bar because the exit point disappeared.

Guessing I have to wait a few more months before this is playable, like every other Owlcat game.

Their first big patch is coming today or tomorrow, so its worth checking if its fixed, and to submit a bug report if it isn't.

I had something like that happen in NWN2, you get some kind of save file bug where the map no longer loads and there is literally no fix. I ended up getting in the habit of always creating a new save file literally every time. For this game I have the quick save and auto save set to store 3 saves each for that reason. Occasionally I manually create a save file before making a big decision as well in case I don't like the outcomes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pentyne posted:

Their first big patch is coming today or tomorrow, so its worth checking if its fixed, and to submit a bug report if it isn't.

I had something like that happen in NWN2, you get some kind of save file bug where the map no longer loads and there is literally no fix. I ended up getting in the habit of always creating a new save file literally every time. For this game I have the quick save and auto save set to store 3 saves each for that reason. Occasionally I manually create a save file before making a big decision as well in case I don't like the outcomes.

Submitted a report, I didn't see it listed (then again I don't know where the full list is, just the general one)

Edit: Oh hey the patch LITERALLY just dropped, checking it now.

Edit 2: Yep, that did it.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 14, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I actually :files:'d the game because it's a Warhammer game and I had very low expectations.

When I buy it, can I just copy paste my saves from wherever they are to the appropriate Steam directory?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sab669 posted:

So I actually :files:'d the game because it's a Warhammer game and I had very low expectations.

When I buy it, can I just copy paste my saves from wherever they are to the appropriate Steam directory?

Because of a strange quirk of modern gaming, a lot of the time saves are now kept in local folders rather than in the actual game folder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

From experience I can tell you that it extremely depends on the exact :files: method.

EDIT: Looking it up on PCGamingWiki, it seems that the saves are simply stored in the LocalLow folder, so the Steam version should just find the saves automatically right away, without you having to do anything.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Prey is so bad lol.

Here's some Temp Wounds I guess.
Or put it on the big scary things, but gently caress letting the Bounty Hunter get the kill because it makes more sense to just kill it ASAP with whoever you can.

I regret whatever guide had me spec two characters as Bounty Hunters

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

patch is out

Reading it broke saves and displays "DLC Required" lol

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh, funny, there's now another bug where I can't get out of my quarters after Cassia visits for a chat about her personal quest.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well it explicitly says it fixes my issue, but people are saying it breaks saves.

Lets roll some dice!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: Looking it up on PCGamingWiki, it seems that the saves are simply stored in the LocalLow folder, so the Steam version should just find the saves automatically right away, without you having to do anything.

Neat; yea they're in \AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\Saved Games

Dandywalken posted:

patch is out

Maybe I'll wait a little bit before swapping over to Steam :v:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

patch is out

Can confirm, it looks like every save from before I downloaded the free DLC is still good, but the ones after that won't load.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
lol their discord is basically on fire

apparently there was a single identifier that was screwed up, they're posting a guide for a manual fix while they get the automatic update ready

quote:

Currently, your saves are not loading because, after the patch, the platform is detected not as Steam but as GOG. This error will be fixed very soon, but there's a workaround for now: go to the path Steam\steamapps\common\Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader\WH40KRT_Data and rename gog.info to steam.info.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 14, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

With the arch militant, I only just got into Footfall after finishing act 1 relatively late last night and only did a couple fights before stopping for the night. I didn't notice any sort of heads up on the UI of which type of attack I used last on Argenta but I also wasn't really looking, is there some sort of "hey dummy" notification in the buff column cause I'm doing all this turn swapping/extra attacks stuff on her as others are saying and it would be useful.

Unfortunately no. My two biggest gripes right now (aside from a persistent animation bug) are the apparent differences between what Versatility says counts and what actually counts, and the fact that it's really easy to forget what your last attack type was when you're bouncing between characters.

Dandywalken posted:

patch is out

The fact that one of the first BG3 patches did this with a patch rollback causing saves made on the rolled-back patch to be inaccessible is... I dunno what. Notable I guess? :cripes:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

lol their discord is basically on fire

apparently there was a single identifier that was screwed up, they're posting a guide for a manual fix while they get the automatic update ready

For the first time ever, I'm happy that my Internet is so slow :allears:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well the issue with Cassia resolved itself after a reload at least.

Now I'm just wondering what else is gonna break for me.

Edit: Well I found something, a person is talking about some dude who is dead already in Chapter 4 as if they were still around.

Edit 2: Yeah uuuh, I can't seem to go do whatever was on Cassia's mind for Chapter 4 so I might not get the ending I want from that?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 14, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fat Samurai posted:

I know everyone knows that Cassia is completely ridiculous, but I've just noticed Time Mastery, which increases Willpower by 5 every time someone gets an extra turn. So with Seize the Initiative with Cassie (1), Bring it Down (2) onto Abelard's Brace for Impact with the thing that gives 3 move to people (8), into Seize the Initiative MC (9), into Bring it Down for Cassie she's rocking a +50 Willpower before combat starts, and it goes up as the fights go on.

Add Strange Vitality and she should (Owlcat willing) be healing to full each turn. Add Mind Over Matter and she should have a million wounds.

There are probably better ways to use those two Bring it Down, but I found Cass as a tank very funny.
"Make way for the homo superior!" *cuts a bloody swath with a psyker staff, somehow*

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Patch out, finally brave enough to start Chapter 3, saves actually working....

And I can't move. Like, I have to reload after I enter a new area because when the area first loads I cannot interact with anyone or anything. After reloading I CAN walk around but.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Well the issue with Cassia resolved itself after a reload at least.

Now I'm just wondering what else is gonna break for me.

Edit: Well I found something, a person is talking about some dude who is dead already in Chapter 4 as if they were still around.

Edit 2: Yeah uuuh, I can't seem to go do whatever was on Cassia's mind for Chapter 4 so I might not get the ending I want from that?

warp shenanigans

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I'm having fun with the game but sounds like I need to let this cook for awhile through a few patches, which is ok I'm only barely past chapter 1.

Maybe I should go finish WotR in the meantime...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

No wait, the quest log just forgot to mention I had to go somewhere else. Cassia's issue was resolved (though I guess its kind of a bug that it didn't tell me where to go, just like it won't tell me where to go for the Drukhari quest)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Discussion > Video Games › Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader: Isn't this a job for the serfs?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Discussion > Video Games › Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader: Isn't this a job for the serfs?

Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader: Mods, announce me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
make the thread title whatever that really long bark is argenta says when you select her

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
Reading through the thread I'm bewildered by the number of complaints about early game difficulty. I'm playing on Normal and have already tripped into a dozen build traps (my rogue trader and two mercs are painfully bad compared to the story companions), but combat up to Footfall has been smooth sailing. Idiria and Cassia wipe entire squads without having to roll to hit. Argenta has a sniper rifle and a flamethrower, and everyone just orders her to go ham. I haven't touched a medkit since the tutorial on how to use them.

Is everyone else playing on Daring?

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
Something went very wrong for GOG with this. update fails and if you decide to try to do a full reinstall it, it can't install at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I been playing on daring and found combat a breeze up to this point, but now I am hitting stuff that crits constantly and takes out my guys in one shot on Janus and what not and have to readjust, but still once you identify like the poo poo that does that combat is relatively easy, for me anyway. I am hoping the difficulty curve ends resembling Troubleshooter where it gets harder as it goes along but I doubt that will be the case with how character builds are in this.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Snooze Cruise posted:

make the thread title whatever that really long bark is argenta says when you select her

that hearty laugh she does after emptying her bolter for the third time in a single turn

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Combat goes one of two directions. Either I get pretty good initiative rolls with Cass and Argenta and it's a romp, or I get pretty badly hosed up because all my dudes go after all their dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014
"Bah, this bugfix is not fit for a servitor!"

(I can't remember what he actually says)