Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Yeah today was a very chill opening day. Nice and soft, pretty much only locals, and the snowmaking is looking like it’s on track for the holiday madness. Just glad to be riding again, even on a squirrelly rear end splitboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Trying to plan a trip out to BC this year and I'm finding I keep coming back to Big White because the booking process is so straight forward and the shuttle service is so easy/cheap.
They pickup and dropoff based upon your flight info and it's under $100 return..
There's 4 of us coming from different airports and trying to rent a car or booking a shuttle that runs once a day sounds like asking to miss out on a day of the trip.
I wouldn't mind going back to Big White. The terrain is plenty varied and advanced for me if you go and look for it.. just wouldn't mind trying elsewhere.

Are there comparable mountains in Western Canada (from a logistical standpoint)? Banff area seems like it might be even easier to get to but there's no on mountain accommodations and the terrain doesn't look as interesting.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Revvy if you can get there, I'd say

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't expect it's hard to get to any of the banff area ski hills without a car. Sunshine does have a hotel up at the base, and there are a few places pretty close to lake louise, including the fancy hotel on the lake. Staying actually in banff and then taking shuttles would be probably more fun/interesting though since there are all the bars/restaurants/stores and such and it's a pretty walkable town. Was there for a few days a couple years ago with some family and got in one day at sunshine

It actually snowed a little here, and I got the new skis mounted. Rossignol sender 106ti, 187, with pivot 15s. Didn't really pick them for any specific reason other than they're about what I'm looking for from a brand our shop carries. Local hill probably won't be open for a bit but there are some places within an hour or two plus i have touring stuff.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Was on the lift today and it ran backwards for a full tower to tower span, all I could think about was that video of people getting flung off the bottom of that lift in Slovenia or wherever it was.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That's terrifying, no thank you

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Was on the lift today and it ran backwards for a full tower to tower span, all I could think about was that video of people getting flung off the bottom of that lift in Slovenia or wherever it was.

Devil's Head in Wisconsin had a nice rollback incident like a decade+ ago as well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pretty good start to the season

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A bit less so here

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Moey posted:

Devil's Head in Wisconsin had a nice rollback incident like a decade+ ago as well.

Sugarloaf in Maine too.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol glad to know it’s not just our clown show of a ski resort

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Georgia (the country) if we're thinking of the same video.

https://youtu.be/bzvt0gTAXvA?si=eLRq_QMLXay-vScg

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Yeah that was scary. I was thankfully not there that day. Sugarloaf definitely has had some bad lift incidents that could have been worse.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sat at altabird was no poo poo knee to waist deep in spots. Sunday Dalton's slid all the way down to the creek and thus the lifts never opened. Witnessed one of the biggest snowball volleys I've ever seen in line for the chair, they told us about 11:30 that they wouldn't be opening.

Still a fuckin amazing opening weekend

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

awesome where is this

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

knox_harrington posted:

poo poo that's gorgeous

my patrol (ontario) had our walk the hill day two weekends ago and from the looks of it temps were just getting low enough that they were able to test the guns :smith: it is going to be a very "let's sit in the patrol hut and shoot the poo poo all day" opening weekend

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

kiimo posted:

awesome where is this

It's the Val d'anniviers in Switzerland

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Starting to get a marginal amount of snow around here. think I'm going to try skinning a lap at the not yet open local hill pretty soon to see how things are looking. The report I saw yesterday was not very promising but it's been snowing a little off and on since then so maybe tomorrow will be ok. Snowbowl at least did manage to fix everything and get approval from the forest service to open. Like last week. The social media comments have been entertaining.

Also wonder if I'll notice the more forward mount point on the new skis.

I went with the center line, maybe could have done the rear "directional" line.

Skis seem nice enough- don't expect them to be too different from the volkls. pretty much the same length, few mm narrower, little lighter, maybe a little shorter radius, maybe a little softer. But I didn't want to get too far away from how the katanas feel - they like to go fast and straight over whatever you want.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 12, 2023

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Is it possible to mount these burton bindings on this salomon snowboard with some type of interface/adapter?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://www.burton.com/discover/s/article/burton-binding-adapter

most likely this:

https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/burton-4x4-channel-disc/W24-124871.html?dwvar_W24-124871_variationColor=12487100001

and you will probably need hardware:

https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/burton-reflex-replacement-hardware/W24-159861.html?dwvar_W24-159861_variationColor=15986100073

I can't exactly tell what bindings those are though. If anything just hit up Burton. they will help you out.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 13, 2023

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Those look like Burton EST bindings, which only mount on channel boards.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

pinarello dogman posted:

Those look like Burton EST bindings, which only mount on channel boards.

Correct - see here:

https://www.burton.com/discover/s/a...ole%20patterns.

"EST stands for Extra Sensory Technology and is a mounting option that is unique to Burton bindings. EST bindings are exclusively designed for use with The Channel and are not compatible with 4x2, 4x4, or 3D hole patterns."

Burton is absolutely the Apple of snowboarding. Take that as you will.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 13, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bummer. Ignore me!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I used to have a Jeenyus board over 10 years ago (Peter Line/Kevin Jones company, Four Star Distribution), they got snatched up by Burton not within a few years.

The board had some dual channel mounting system, so you could slide your bindings forward/back, not limited to the 4x4 hole mounting.

I probably shattered a dozen+ of the little plastic sliding retaining clips over the boards life. Sure was a huge pain in the rear end.

I was able to find one pic online of the exact board, but it's crap quality. Next time I swing by the storage unit I'll see if it's wedged on the back.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

:bisonyes:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

right on time!

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1735354001669955813

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

2-3 week forecasts.... Notably accurate.

Also looking like rain very high up (over 10k).

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 14, 2023

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah I'm not buying it until BA is on the hype train and he most definitely isn't.

quote:

Don't say I didn't warn you about getting on the hype train. I've been pretty vocal about not believing those saying a very wet pattern is coming to CA the last week of December. It can happen, but you can't trust forecasts 2-3 weeks out, and this is still 11-18 days out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

look it's December I'm desperate down here

any moisture in the forecast is a reason for optimism

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Surprise 9” pow day on a day I just happened to ask for PTO on last week. gently caress yeah.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Probably the lowest visibility I’ve skied in since breaking my leg 13 years ago though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth arrrre yoouuuu ready

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

A pleasantly wintry morning before the rain moves in tomorrow night and then we all start boarding the arks on Monday.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Maine (and presumably VT/NH) resorts got hosed. 3 inches or more of rain.

Roads washed out, power outages, mud slides. Sugarloaf seems to have faired quite a bit better than Sunday River but the roads are closed all over due to washouts.

What a nasty storm.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 19, 2023

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’m glad I got a day in at Saddleback two weeks ago. Who knows when there’s going to be good skiing again. And the backcountry is going to be even more megafucked than the resorts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

We still have nothing here. Tried a ski hill lap last week, hit a lot of trees and rocks and had to walk down the bottom part. Nice view at the top and a few ok turns on the back though.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Season is hosed in the UP, too.

Current forecast is putting us into January before we have any chance of even cross-country skiing, and the snowmaking conditions have been so bad we've only had one open day of 200m of T-Bar bunny hill laps. The snowmakers are fighting for their lives on an hour-by-hour basis. I went over to use the rental shop bench to mount up some sick new powder boards and it had been actively raining all day and all night and folks were spiraling.

Heading out west to eastern washington for a week, though. Good thing it's hosed there, too, and I'm leaving my skis at home!!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sorry the lack of snow is is all my fault because I bought 120mm wide skis this year.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

No worries I am bringing home my Venture Storm today and all will be right again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I haven't been up at all. Was going to go on Monday, then I got up to take the dog out to pee at 5am and it was 4 degrees and pouring rain so I went "gently caress that poo poo" and went back to bed. I don't want to deal with the Christmas crowds, and ESPECIALLY not with such limited terrain so I probably won't be skiing until January :(