Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the replies. I think the Galaxy Watch 6 deal is over, now it's $145 of trade-in value toward a Watch 5, which seems less worth it.

Edit: Actually, it said the deal was expired on SD, but I was able to find it on Samsung's site. So it'd end up being $130 for a Watch 6 (non-classic). taking into account the price of the 4 Classic.

Mobvoi makes some TicWatches that might serve your needs, but at the prices you're talking about for Galaxy Watches I think it is hard to recommend anything else. I went from a TicWatch E3 to a Galaxy Watch 5 and the Galaxy is superior in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The one thing I wish my watch had was an app that would let me know when I should leave to catch my bus. It looks like that exists for a few cities, but not Toronto.

...now I go down the rabbit hole to see if any phone apps can push a 5-minute warning to my watch.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Bummer... looked totally up my alley, but mysteriously not available on my 5 Pro. Last updated in 2019 and the dev's let his website hosting lapse.

Same for my 6:

I prefer my watch faces more informational, but I haven't found a great one yet and this one looked cool and battery-minimal in the meantime, I'd have enjoyed it as a placeholder.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hell hath officially frozen over.

https://www.mobvoi.com/us/blog/Impo...=W3Announcement

quote:

We are thrilled to announce the forthcoming release of the Wear OS 3 update for our esteemed users, a development we believe will enhance your TicWatch experience. In our commitment to providing you with the best possible service, we will be extending this update to several of our previous TicWatch models, namely the TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS, TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra, TicWatch Pro 3 GPS, TicWatch Pro 3 LTE, and TicWatch E3.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm honestly surprised - I thought they were going to go full Motorola and just drop the whole idea of updating. I still have my Ticwatch E3 as a secondary watch paired to my secondary phone, so will roadtest this at some point.

I wish Mobvoi would actually pay attention to proper Internationalization, though. They don't seem to care much about the English language market, and even that announcement screams that it was written by someone with an iffy command of the language.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That said, I can't see any evidence of people getting the update yet.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I ended up buying a Watch 4 Classic for $99 during BF instead of using it as a trade-in for a Watch 6, both because I like the look of the Classic better and because I only wanted it for relatively basic things. These are my impressions so far:

Cons:

-Samsung Health is full of jank. I was getting a bunch of useless spam notifications with no options in the app itself to disable them. Disabling SH notifications in the companion app on my phone didn't do anything, I guess because the notifications were originating from the watch rather than the phone. I eventually stopped them by using the "Block Notifications" button from one of the notifications themselves.

But I still kept getting notifications on my watch/weird popup messages on my phone about connecting to exercise equipment. I thought maybe one of my neighbors had an exercise bike or something that was stuck in pairing mode, but I eventually figured out that the watch was mistaking the phone as a piece of equipment when they got too close to each other, and I had to disable NFC connections for SH to stop it from happening.

-I was initially annoyed when I had to enable locking/unlocking for the entire watch and not just Samsung Pay transactions to enable Samsung Pay at all, but it's only when I first put on the watch, and the wrist detection has been fine, so not actually an issue.

-Occasionally the companion app will randomly steal focus on my phone. It's only happened a few times, so it's more of a minor annoyance rather than really pissing me off.

-I wish there was a Google Home widget/complication. It's annoying that I have to swipe to the app drawer and open Google Home from there instead of tapping directly into it from the watch face. Feels like just enough extra tapping to make it less convenient than using voice commands.

-The weather complication sometimes doesn't refresh itself until I tap into it, which makes it less useful at a glance when I have to wonder if it's the current temperature or the temp from 6 hours ago.

Pros:

-I like the appearance, fit, and feel. I have dainty wrists, and adjustable straps with holes often don't fit right, but that's not the case here. I also like how the Classic looks like a regular watch instead of a Casio for adults.

-I often leave my phone in my bedroom instead of carrying it around with me when I'm at home, and the watch is fulfilling its intended purpose of pushing me notifications/calls I don't want to miss. The range is good enough that the phone can be upstairs and I can be working in my basement office with no issues.

-It's useful to have the ability to initialize a timer or alarm on the watch itself instead of a particular room/device.

-It's neat always having weather/smarthome stuff at my disposal, although I've already mentioned the issues I'm having above.

-Since I'm a casual user, battery life is always at 70-75% at the end of the day, so no issues there.

-I'm currently recovering from an injury, but I'm sure the step counter and some of the related exercise stuff will be nice to have when I've recovered.

Verdict: Definitely worth $99, no complaints about the hardware, wish they'd tighten up the software.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've been happy with my decision to stick with the Watch 4 Classic instead of trading it in for a Watch 6 Classic.

Samsung Health has been fine for me - never had all the spurious notifications etc - but I'm only looking to it to track my Watch data and provide historical trending - nothing more. I installed it on the Pixel Fold too, when I switched away from a Samsung phone and have been happy to have that just work.

I have a Pixel Watch 1 still in the box I should have been more motivated about selling, but it's lost a lot of value now. It was bundled with the Fold. Maybe I should try it out.

Have they fixed the v1 annoyances since release? Especially do not disturb not enabling on the watch when the phone goes into DND mode? That works fine with the Watch 4 and the Fold, would be silly if it's still not working with Google's own watch - but I've come to not expect much in this space.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

v1ld posted:

I've been happy with my decision to stick with the Watch 4 Classic instead of trading it in for a Watch 6 Classic.

Samsung Health has been fine for me - never had all the spurious notifications etc - but I'm only looking to it to track my Watch data and provide historical trending - nothing more. I installed it on the Pixel Fold too, when I switched away from a Samsung phone and have been happy to have that just work.

I have a Pixel Watch 1 still in the box I should have been more motivated about selling, but it's lost a lot of value now. It was bundled with the Fold. Maybe I should try it out.

Have they fixed the v1 annoyances since release? Especially do not disturb not enabling on the watch when the phone goes into DND mode? That works fine with the Watch 4 and the Fold, would be silly if it's still not working with Google's own watch - but I've come to not expect much in this space.

One example was a notification every morning asking me if I was going to meet my fitness goals, despite me never setting any, and there being no option to unset them. I could change the amount of steps, for instance, but not to 0/none.

A couple of other ones that were similarly spammy and useless.

I did not enable anything, everything was on the defaults, because as I mentioned in my OP, I'm currently recovering from an injury and I'm not doing any fitness tracking whatsoever for now.

Edit: There was also an inactivity reminder notification, but I was able to disable that one from the app settings.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 12, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The fitness goal thing is new as of the last update. I just set the goal to be as low as possible because if you hit it, it doesn't pop up the next day. I don't know of any other default notifications though, I don't get any.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I do get the inactivity reminder and the you hit 10k steps one, those are enabled by default and I'd forgotten.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
you know, the PW2 having DND/bedtime sync but the PW1 not getting it, is a very very Google thing

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

kirbysuperstar posted:

you know, the PW2 having DND/bedtime sync but the PW1 not getting it, is a very very Google thing

Still salty that I can't do this with my Pixel phone and Galaxy Watch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It works for me with a Galaxy Watch 5 and Pixel Fold, both of which have DND turned on because I have a nighttime DND schedule set on the phone.

It doesn't work if I use a Google phone and Google watch. Works fine with a Google phone and Samsung watch.

:google:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The is long overdue, about loving time

https://9to5google.com/2023/12/12/google-wallet-wear-loyalty/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been using it for Toronto transit which has been great. One of my credit cards is weirdly really unreliable on it annoyingly.

I wish I could make my transit card the default payment though. It's not like it would be accepted accidentally by a payment terminal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huge thing is this now means plane boarding passes should be accessible on the wrist now.

I also don't have to dig my grocery store loyalty card out of my pocket anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

quote:

New features for your first-gen Pixel Watch

Your Pixel Phone and first-gen Pixel Watch will work even better together for more convenience, allowing you to sync your Do Not Disturb and Bedtime Modes from one device to the other, like you can with Pixel Watch 2.

Wow, complaining works yet again

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Huh, maybe time to try the PW1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My old Ticwatch 3s are downloading WearOS 3.5 right now.

Edit: Surprisingly, it runs really really well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 19, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Did you do anything to trigger it? I tried checking the System Update button on my E3 but it just claims to be up to date.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

How did you get it to up date?

Like I may need screen shots.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I found I had to disable bluetooth and make sure it was connected to wifi before it picked up on the fact that there was an update. Once I did that, it popped right up when I went to System Updates in settings.

I have no idea if it's rolling out to the E3 yet, mine was a Pro 3.

Be advised, installing the update completely resets the watch and you have to pair it again through the Mobvoi app, so don't start the process if you aren't prepared for that from the start.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I found I had to disable bluetooth and make sure it was connected to wifi before it picked up on the fact that there was an update. Once I did that, it popped right up when I went to System Updates in settings.

I have no idea if it's rolling out to the E3 yet, mine was a Pro 3.

Be advised, installing the update completely resets the watch and you have to pair it again through the Mobvoi app, so don't start the process if you aren't prepared for that from the start.

Yeah, it says it's up to date, even after trying the wifi only thing. May not be out where I am. Oh well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a medication app that works through the Pixel Watch 2 that's similar to how iOS has a medication reminder system on their watch?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Has anyone ever found any watch faces with media controls/display right on the main phase? I've seen a few where you can use media controller as a complication to play/pause, but that's about the only functionality I've ever seen. It's suspiciously absent to the point where I'm curious whether it's possible to do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a medication app that works through the Pixel Watch 2 that's similar to how iOS has a medication reminder system on their watch?

Oh I'd love that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://news.samsung.com/us/new-medications-tracking-feature-samsung-health/

It's not super clear there if it's only going to be a function of Samsung health on the phone that mirrors notifications on the watch or if there's some deeper integration with Samsung health on the watch, but they literally just announced it yesterday.

At the very least, if it's all phone and only notifications, then it would work for the Pixel Watch as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wonder if you can install that on the Pixel 8 instead of a Samsung device

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wonder if you can install that on the Pixel 8 instead of a Samsung device
Considering they go out of their way to disable features if you're not pairing your Samsung watch with a Samsung phone I'd call it highly unlikely it'd work without a fight.

I misread and thought we were talking about installing Samsung Health on a Pixel Watch. The phone app can definitely install on a Pixel phone.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 22, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung health is an independent app. It will run just fine, and do notifications, whether or not you have a Samsung watch paired. It's similar to fit and Fitbit where it can do basic step tracking via just the phone.

Medication feature doesn't seem to be live yet though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 21, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah I misread, edited my original post.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

How the hell is Google Voice not integrated yet?

I got both a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and a Fitbit Versa 4 as early Xmas gifts that I'm trying to decide between. Probably sticking with the Galaxy, it seems to have way more apps available, but it's gonna be annoying if I can't access my Google voice messages and calls through the watch.

Is the battery life typically crap in the Galaxy on the first day or two of use? I charged both the watches to 100 and then started setting them up. After a couple hours, the Fitbit is still around 98% and the Galaxy is already at 79%. But I'm kinda thinking that first day usage shouldn't be considered any sort of benchmark.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Organic Lube User posted:

How the hell is Google Voice not integrated yet?

Shhh! Don't remind them that Voice still exists!

Really though, it has very basic integration anywhere if it has it at all. I'm always surprised when it gets an update.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Organic Lube User posted:

Is the battery life typically crap in the Galaxy on the first day or two of use? I charged both the watches to 100 and then started setting them up. After a couple hours, the Fitbit is still around 98% and the Galaxy is already at 79%. But I'm kinda thinking that first day usage shouldn't be considered any sort of benchmark.

Yeah give it 2 or 3 days

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fitbit is going to use a ton less battery.

Also, depending on the size of the GW6, that has a pretty big impact on longevity.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

OP said GW4 Classic, so not as much battery as GW6 larger versions.

I get over a day with the GW4, but I went through and removed stuff I don't need. Don't use the always on display either - I feel the watch has gotten worse at detecting wrist turn to look at the screen to activate, btw. Probably bad software updates. It's usually between 40-70% battery when I put it on the charger at night.

I wish all watches would just charge off any phone that can act as a wireless charger. Why yes, I have an portable wireless charger on me at all times - what can't you just use it, watch?

I no longer use sleep tracking though - I have apnea which the APAP machine does a great job of controlling. It's got good enough stat tracking that I'm happy not to wear the watch at night. Like it's nice to see the REM/deep sleep estimates, but it's also great not to have the device on my wrist at night.

Had a recent trip where I forgot my watch charger and got it to last 2.5-3 days even though I went to low power mode only after the watch suggested I do that at 10%(?) battery left. E: at which point I also turned off the watch when sleeping.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 24, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Maybe I misunderstood you but if you have a galaxy watch and a galaxy phone you can definitely charge your watch from your phone with the wireless power share https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/mobile-devices/how-to-use-powershare-on-your-galaxy-phone/

Looks like it's on some other stuff too https://www.androidpolice.com/samsu...r%20its%20tech.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the links. Seems it's called Battery Share on Pixels, but unfortunately the Pixel Fold doesn't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doesn't matter. Galaxy Watches only charge from Galaxy phones. They are technically using Qi protocol, but the coils are too small and the power draw too little for broad compatibility.

Even some Samsung wireless charging pads won't charge a Galaxy Watch.