Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

dual use technology.

This reminded me of the time I needed to catch some mice, so I went to the hardware store and asked for a nonlethal trap. The trap they sold me was one of those metal ones with one-way doors to catch the mice. The instruction manual said something along the lines of, when the trap is full, simply submerge it under water for a few minutes, then throw the drowned mice away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell no, thats free range cat food

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Or dog food, whichever

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rented an apartment back in 2015, really nice location, but we quickly became infested with mice. I think we caught like 32 or something before we finally moved out? I had found where they were coming in from and would just put a sticky trap across the spot and it was ridiculous how often we'd catch them. This was under the washer and dryer after we took them out

The first two we caught I brought to some side road and tried to let them go, but of course they just stuck to the ground once I was able to peel them off the trap. I felt bad. Until we started getting more and more and they poo poo in all our shoes on the shoe rack. Then it was a quick thump of the hammer, which admittedly was much more merciful.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Mice need to learn that they live in the outside, not the inside.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I briefly had mice in my apartment when they chewed a hole in the wall behind the dishwasher. Fortunately, my very elderly cat (who has since passed away, she was 18 years old when this happened) decided she was still spry enough to hunt them down. She killed three of them (including one that was in my bedroom while I was sleeping and I woke up to panicked squeaking as she killed it) before maintenance figured out where they were coming from and pulled the dishwasher out to close the hole. Cats really are by far the easiest solution to a mouse/rat infestation, assuming you're not allergic to them. It's what we domesticated them for and ex-stray shelter cats are especially good at it.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

CuwiKhons posted:

I briefly had mice in my apartment when they chewed a hole in the wall behind the dishwasher. Fortunately, my very elderly cat (who has since passed away, she was 18 years old when this happened) decided she was still spry enough to hunt them down. She killed three of them (including one that was in my bedroom while I was sleeping and I woke up to panicked squeaking as she killed it) before maintenance figured out where they were coming from and pulled the dishwasher out to close the hole. Cats really are by far the easiest solution to a mouse/rat infestation, assuming you're not allergic to them. It's what we domesticated them for and ex-stray shelter cats are especially good at it.

I’ve seen my cat fail to keep track of a wounded cockroach and let it disappear into the darkness. To her credit she stood sentinel all night until i found it dead in the morning, so good job there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CuwiKhons posted:

The ones who have been pampered indoor housecats all their lives can be hilariously bad at it. They still have instincts and are interested in mice, but not sure what to do. Pippin managed to catch one in her mouth, bring it to us and drop it on the floor still alive. Looked at it, looked at us, it starts to move so she picks it up again. No clue what the next step ought to be.

We found one mouse dead without a mark on it. Apparently they just stared at it until it had a heart attack.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I will concede that some cats, usually the ones who have been indoor housecats since kittenhood, are not always so great at the pest control thing. Personally all of my cats have been either shelter adoptees or full on strays that stuck around long enough for me to capture them and drag them to a vet to be spayed/neutered and get their shots. They've all been ruthlessly efficient little murderers. Misty, rest her soul, didn't even play with them. She just pounced on them, broke their necks, and left the body completely intact aside from the puncture wounds of her biting through their spines. One of the three wasn't even dead when I picked it up, just twitching pathetically, paralyzed and dying. Misty had already lost interest. I wrapped em up in paper towels and took them out to the dumpster. Sorry lads, but no freeloaders.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
X post

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This is the perfect distillation of a cursed image.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Yep, and it' s real - Southern Illinois area.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CuwiKhons posted:

One of my cats is becoming a horribly effective ambush hunter, seemingly for no reason other than his own entertainment. One day he will take me down and kill me. But until then, he's getting really good at killing bugs, little dude can snatch flies out of the air like it's nobody's business. A few weeks ago a mouse got into the house, and I had zero traps on hand, so I went to sleep planning to get some the next day; woke up to find a dead mouse on the floor with a broken neck, presumably from having been violently slammed against the wall by a cat lunging out of the darkness at it. Unless it broke its own neck like The Joker did that one time, I'd believe it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

IDGI

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Newtons Flaws

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nuebot posted:

One of my cats is becoming a horribly effective ambush hunter, seemingly for no reason other than his own entertainment. One day he will take me down and kill me. But until then, he's getting really good at killing bugs, little dude can snatch flies out of the air like it's nobody's business. A few weeks ago a mouse got into the house, and I had zero traps on hand, so I went to sleep planning to get some the next day; woke up to find a dead mouse on the floor with a broken neck, presumably from having been violently slammed against the wall by a cat lunging out of the darkness at it. Unless it broke its own neck like The Joker did that one time, I'd believe it.

Thankfully you got weight class keeping you alive. Do NOT give your cat steroids and a gym membership.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inceltown posted:

Thankfully you got weight class keeping you alive. Do NOT give your cat steroids and a gym membership.

He's figured out the back of the knees is our weak point. It's only a matter of time.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I had a cat who we sort of let become an outdoor cat because all the backyards of the houses on our block sort of formed a completely enclosed space that didn't lead to the roads or anything. Buddy wanted to catch birds his whole life and now got to learn that he was actually really loving bad at it. Except he slowly got better, learning how to sneak more silently, hide better, pounce faster. And when we had to leave the country he got adopted by a relative who had an even bigger backyard and he started catching things, and then bigger things. Mice. Sparrows. Frogs. Pigeons. Rats. Once, a whole loving crow. Buddy just wanted to murder the poo poo out of everything and he finally got his chance

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Kit Walker posted:

I had a cat who we sort of let become an outdoor cat because all the backyards of the houses on our block sort of formed a completely enclosed space that didn't lead to the roads or anything. Buddy wanted to catch birds his whole life and now got to learn that he was actually really loving bad at it. Except he slowly got better, learning how to sneak more silently, hide better, pounce faster. And when we had to leave the country he got adopted by a relative who had an even bigger backyard and he started catching things, and then bigger things. Mice. Sparrows. Frogs. Pigeons. Rats. Once, a whole loving crow. Buddy just wanted to murder the poo poo out of everything and he finally got his chance

Cats are incredible, adorable little murder machines, unless you're talking about my old cat Norton who once lost a fight with a piece of yarn and whom I had to help catch a single fly. Very sweet boy, always kept his claws sheathed around my hands (unless they were under the blanket; he didn't consider them hands if he couldn't see flesh).

But yeah, there's a reason why outdoor cats are discouraged. It's both to protect the cat from the wilds, and to protect the wilds from the cat. They're just OP.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Smik posted:

kept his claws sheathed around my hands

Wow. Most cats keep them sheathed inside their own paws!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.3–4.0 billion birds and 6.3–22.3 billion mammals annually.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.3–4.0 billion birds and 6.3–22.3 billion mammals annually.

If those stats are accurate, my cat should be loving embarrassed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In the Old World it's fine and indeed necessary to have outdoor cats, as it fills an ecological niche left by the almost-extinct forest cat. In the New World there were no equivalent cats before colonization. Every study anyone cites is either made in an America, or extrapolated from data from American studies.

e: As long as they're not reproducing. That would become a problem.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TotalLossBrain posted:

If those stats are accurate, my cat should be loving embarrassed

i'll never let my cat outside because I've had to pull 4 pancaked cats off the street into boxes and call animal control over them in front of my house this year

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah same. My Ellie is an inside comfort creature

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Sumbitches posted:

our pets are so much like us :3:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oh yeah, to be clear my ex-strays and shelter cats are indoor only the instant they become mine. My parents still see nothing wrong with having outdoor cats in spite of the fact that they've lost two over the years to stray dogs/coyotes but I was pretty traumatized by waking up one morning to a beloved pet torn apart on the lawn. Please keep your cats indoors unless they're on a leash or something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The best option if you can is to build a catio for your lovable furball.

The cursed image is that I don't have a cat anymore. :smith:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cursed is my insane neighbors knocking on my door at night screaming they'd kill my cat because the dumb fuzzball had the TEMERITY to walk by their window and meow a bit.
It's been years ago and that trio of hosed up brothers moved away, and I don't have cats at the moment.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

MrQwerty posted:

i'll never let my cat outside because I've had to pull 4 pancaked cats off the street into boxes and call animal control over them in front of my house this year

You could check your mirrors?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Cursed is my insane neighbors knocking on my door at night screaming they'd kill my cat because the dumb fuzzball had the TEMERITY to walk by their window and meow a bit.
It's been years ago and that trio of hosed up brothers moved away, and I don't have cats at the moment.

One of my brother's cats came home after being shot by some rear end in a top hat in the neighbourhood. He was taken to the vet and fixed up just fine but he couldn't view the place the same way again and had to get the cats adapted to an indoors-only lifestyle.

My cats have been indoor only, but I'm in an apartment and live next to a busy street so even if I hadn't heard all these horror stories there's no way I'd let them out. My old cat Norton didn't have too much of an interest anyway -- he meowed to explore the hall outside my door so I accompanied him one day to see what he'd do. The elevator made a noise a few moments later and he was scrambling to the door meowing desperately to be let in and never crossed the threshold again, even with the door open.

My current cat has slid out around me to look around in the hall (I was carrying groceries of course) so I know I have to watch her. Getting her back in was no issue but I know I need to watch her all the same.

I'm really sorry to everyone who's had to find poor kitty remains. I had enough psychological damage when old my cat passed from a heart attack, I can't imagine what it'd be like to find remains done in by violence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I grew up a ways out in the country, and we always used to let our cats out as much as they wanted. It seemed great, but eventually one roamed far enough away to get hit on a road that we didn't even think was an issue, and after that we switched to indoor-only. It's much better overall, and easy now that the current crop of cats has no real concept of "outside".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Smik posted:

My cats have been indoor only, but I'm in an apartment and live next to a busy street so even if I hadn't heard all these horror stories there's no way I'd let them out. My old cat Norton didn't have too much of an interest anyway -- he meowed to explore the hall outside my door so I accompanied him one day to see what he'd do. The elevator made a noise a few moments later and he was scrambling to the door meowing desperately to be let in and never crossed the threshold again, even with the door open.

Elevators are scary.
:hmmyes:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

He's figured out the back of the knees is our weak point. It's only a matter of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYM-B9jAflM

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mods are asleep, PYF cats

https://i.imgur.com/LFATnMo.mp4

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

One of my neighbours puts her cat on a leash to take him for walks which is an acceptable way to have your cat outdoors. It's very cute though and not thread fodder so have this dramatic re-enactment instead.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Cursed - coyotes have always been around San Diego, but during COVID they moved into the suburbs and parks and whatnot.

:smith: There's a ton of "missing cat" posters all over the neighborhood from people who lost outdoor cats :smith:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I let my cat roam wild and free because I live in the UK and cats have been here for like 4000 years and have already extincted anything that was vulnerable to their predation.

If this was NZ though yeah id keep him inside or on a leash. Maybe both.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

Cursed - coyotes have always been around San Diego, but during COVID they moved into the suburbs and parks and whatnot.

:smith: There's a ton of "missing cat" posters all over the neighborhood from people who lost outdoor cats :smith:

Sounds like a pretty good reason to keep your cat indoors, then.

People shouldn't need a reason beyond "cats kill a fuckload of wildlife" to keep their cats indoors, but this is a selfish reason that they might actually care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.