Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I prefer boats because I prefer to offend Poseidon rather than Tengri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ommin posted:

This is the good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I love niche hobbies and the people that invest in them. It may not be my thing, but I admire the dedication.

Aw, shucks :tipshat:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ishikabibble posted:

If jets still just needed small air-to-air rockets and guns they could be so much smaller, but because they've basically taken over for bombers in most situations they've ballooned in size to be able to lug around giant bombs.

Yet another problem that could be solved with nuclear weapons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

I prefer boats because I prefer to offend Poseidon rather than Tengri.

My current airline literally paints the planes in his devotional colours pal
He smiles when his children take to the sky

We don’t fly 757s but the planes do look like that (hypothetically-budget to repaint eh.) I assume this guy is some airline fan artist

But Tengri famously knows it’s the thought that counts

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Dec 13, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Yet another problem that could be solved with nuclear weapons.

Funny you should mention that. This is on the right panel of the F-16 cockpit:

It doesn't do anything, the plane can't carry nukes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Forgot what thread I was in and thought that looks like an obnoxious guitar pedal.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Baron von Eevl posted:

Forgot what thread I was in and thought that looks like an obnoxious guitar pedal.

same but eurorack module

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Hyperlynx posted:

My realisation came about because I thought there was this thing it can do that no other planes can, because the USAF uses it to do this thing. And then I learned that nope the F/A-18 can do that too, it really can do everything, it's just that the USAF doesn't have any.

Not to be too grognardy, but the F/A-18 has a much shorter range than the F-16. This doesn't matter when your home base is a carrier that can move around and position itself in range of the target, but when you're taking off from a static land-based location, especially in a hostile environment where you may not get tanker support, the short range of a F/A-18 can become very limiting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There was a second eponymous member in the rock band Van Halen :tinfoil:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Hygiene posted:

There was a second eponymous member in the rock band Van Halen :tinfoil:

There are three!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

There are three!

Lol, I didn't know they had a kid member (also I didn't pay attention to them in their legacy band years, so I don't feel bad about missing that one)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the F-16 can do lots of things an F-18 can't, like pull 9 G turns, or give you hydrazine poisoning if you approach a crashed one

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

spookykid posted:

Not to be too grognardy, but the F/A-18 has a much shorter range than the F-16. This doesn't matter when your home base is a carrier that can move around and position itself in range of the target, but when you're taking off from a static land-based location, especially in a hostile environment where you may not get tanker support, the short range of a F/A-18 can become very limiting.

No kidding! I've always found the fuel time of the F-16 really limiting, and figured it was on the small end. I didn't realise the Hornet was even smaller. Huh!

Ok, it might be able to carry four more AMRAAMs, and also HARMs, and probably Mavericks it doesn't have to loving calibrate first, but it can't go as far :911:

Phy posted:

Yeah, the F-16 can do lots of things an F-18 can't, like pull 9 G turns, or give you hydrazine poisoning if you approach a crashed one

Well, it's more that you shouldn't really need to pull 9 Gs any more. The Viper's a better dogfighter, but dogfighting isn't a thing any more.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

The Viper's a better dogfighter, but dogfighting isn't a thing any more.

Oh, well, if we're gonna talk about things it's good at that are useful...

(Not to get too deep into the weeds here, but as a fan of both the F-16 and Ace Combat, it always annoyed me how bad it comes off in those games. Low tier or even starter planes that can't turn for poo poo. Makes me wonder who at Project Aces has such a bug up their rear end about the Viper.)

Phy has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Dec 14, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
PYF Thing You Just Realized And/Or Facts About Combat Aircraft (Real Or Videogame)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

The fun thing about that is you don't even need to see one up close. They literally have a 'human for scale' feature in the form of the cockpit, where you can see the pilot. But somehow the proportions of everything just make us think its so much smaller.

Also the size is mostly to do with payloads. The Embraer ERJ145 carries 50 people with a rated payload of about 12,755lbs. Compare that to the F35, which carries 1 person but has a (reported) payload capacity of... 18,000lbs.

If jets still just needed small air-to-air rockets and guns they could be so much smaller, but because they've basically taken over for bombers in most situations they've ballooned in size to be able to lug around giant bombs.
The engines on a bunch of CRJs and Embraer E-things are more-or-less the same thing as on an A-10, just with the afterburner removed (I used to work on stuff that went into A-10s at an old job). My impression of them from flight test setup isn't that they're big though, they always felt like short bus size things vs small passenger jets "bigger than semitruck"-ness. Same for the random F-16s that were occasionally in the same hangers, they didn't feel big.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ommin posted:

Are you all just really into military hardware

yeah pretty much

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A-10's don't have afterburners, the engines are for all internet comparison intents identical to a crj's, far as I know. The F-18a-d are not the same airplanes as the F18e-f, they are two different airplanes camouflaged to look the same for budget approval reasons, same as the JAS-39A-D and E/F. The E 'versions' are almost twice(?) the size by volume. The arguably most tedious people online are people who want to debate tanks and airplanes. Dogfighting gets instantaneously reintroduced once you've fired the not-enough missiles you brought, ask Ukraine. The F-16XL is the best viper. All the best airplanes have the wings in the back and make them triangular.

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Dec 14, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Best plane is the one shaped like a cigar that swims in the water

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Best cigar is the one without water

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A-10's don't have afterburners, the engines are for all internet comparison intents identical to a crj's, far as I know.
You'd think I'd remember these things after working on the engine monitoring box for multiple years.

(It was a long time ago, and the job was basically "Make the software periodically read a bunch of sensors from each engine. When temperatures/pressures/rpms/vibration do X, generate code Y". Then those codes made ground personnel do different kinds of inspections or maintenance on the engine. I never had to really know much about why various patterns of readings were bad)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Can we please stop jerking off about war machines in a random pyf thread?

credburn posted:

There are three!

I knew that there were two Van Halens in Van Halen, but I am just realizing that Eddie Van Halen isn't the lead singer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The band Van Halen was named after the original members" hobby. They used to cruise around in a van, huffing paint thinner. Called it van 'halin'

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

You'd think I'd remember these things after working on the engine monitoring box for multiple years.

(It was a long time ago, and the job was basically "Make the software periodically read a bunch of sensors from each engine. When temperatures/pressures/rpms/vibration do X, generate code Y". Then those codes made ground personnel do different kinds of inspections or maintenance on the engine. I never had to really know much about why various patterns of readings were bad)

I think I used to read your posts in the AI air thread. I might have forgotten if I still do too :downs:

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Dec 14, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sure thing.

I realised in the shower yesterday that the word "rhetorical" in "rhetorical question" has literally the same meaning as "rhetoric", as in speaking well and convincingly. That a "rhetorical question" is literally "a question asked for the sake of rhetoric", and therefore doesn't expect an answer.

Up until then, I'd sort of assumed that the word "rhetorical" there had some other special meaning, something like "do the opposite thing to what you'd normally expect", since it's a question you're not supposed to answer. Like, say, if a "rhetorical chair" was a chair that's not supposed to be sat in and only admired.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think I used to read your posts in the AI air thread. I might have forgotten if I still do too :downs:
Nope, not me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Sure thing.

I realised in the shower yesterday that the word "rhetorical" in "rhetorical question" has literally the same meaning as "rhetoric", as in speaking well and convincingly. That a "rhetorical question" is literally "a question asked for the sake of rhetoric", and therefore doesn't expect an answer.

Up until then, I'd sort of assumed that the word "rhetorical" there had some other special meaning, something like "do the opposite thing to what you'd normally expect", since it's a question you're not supposed to answer. Like, say, if a "rhetorical chair" was a chair that's not supposed to be sat in and only admired.

Clint Eastwood's Rhetorical Chair would be a good name for a really insufferable band.

(It's me. It's a one-man band.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DontMockMySmock posted:

For those wanting to continue the discussion, there's a Cold War thread where jerking off about war machines would fit right in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm too used to shows like Battlestar Galactica having choral intros with languages from antiquity like Sanskrit.

I assumed The Expanse was the same.

It's gibberish Norwegian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoemQv0LYhk

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The band Van Halen was named after the original members" hobby. They used to cruise around in a van, huffing paint thinner. Called it van 'halin'

They're RV enthusiasts & like to praise their tour transport. Van Hailin'

Or maybe they really like putting out fires? Van Halon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The street directory that was in every car when I was a kid growing up here in Melbourne Australia isn't called Melways, it's just Melway

Pretty much no one uses it any more so I hadn't thought about it in years
E: even the first line on the Wikipedia page says that everyone calls it Melways

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Dec 15, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

You got me to check my childhood now but Sydney was loving normal. It was called Gregorys.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inceltown posted:

You got me to check my childhood now but Sydney was loving normal. It was called Gregorys.

yodathereisanother.png

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I heard “filet mignons” today. People have probably always said that, but now it’s going to bother me forever.

It’s multiple filets. That’s the part that should get the “s”, not the adjective.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

I heard “filet mignons” today. People have probably always said that, but now it’s going to bother me forever.

It’s multiple filets. That’s the part that should get the “s”, not the adjective.

They aren't speaking French, presumably

They don't even know that is technically an adjective. As a loan term it's effectively just a two word noun

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Two eggs mcmuffin.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Two eggs mcmuffin.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Still no noah's ark

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

That is three sausage McMuffins with eggs

Mange a trois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Ok there's a Canadian bacon in there too and only 2 eggs so it's just a delicious mongrel