Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

dingo with a joint posted:

I think part of what feels nice about Dak finally having his breakout year is that it honestly didn't look like it was ever going to happen. He's been starting since 2016, has always been good, but also always looked thoroughly ceilinged. When his new coach was revealed to be Fat loving Mike, I figured the "he'll make the jump once he gets a good coach" hope was out the window. He's also always seemed so nervous, so unsure of himself moment to moment on the field and off, despite his talent and skill.

This past month or so though he hasn't had that vibe on the field. And in that "pooping on the other teams" commercial from last week, he finally did a public-facing thing where he truly seemed comfortable in his own skin. I dunno, it's just nice to see. Dak always seemed like one of the good guys, the sort you want to see go the distance (even if they play for the Cowboys), so him finally having him wing-spreading year is kinda feel-good.

I disagree that this is a "Breakout season," in the sense that Dak has been basically this good since that weird, 8-8 season in 2019; That year he put up incredible numbers and his underlying stats told the story of an elite passer, hidden by a mediocre record, and marred by bad luck on turnovers, drops, and one-score games (See, Buffalo, 2023). He unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to follow that up in 2020 because of the injury, but since his first start in 2021, he and the Cowboys have The Best Record in Football, and he has consistently performed up there with all of the top QBs in every single metric.

He just hasn't been getting the recognition because of a combination of singular embarrassing losses to the 49ers, playing at the same time as the Mahomes Machine and the Burrow/Hurts/Herbert/Allen narratives all reached their climax, and all the other more compelling narratives surrounding the Cowboys like (Deservedly) Parsons' emergence, Diggs' interception record,, etc. etc.

In terms of being likeable, he's been through some terrible personal tragedies losing his mother to cancer and brother to suicide; all the way back in 2020, Dak has been very open about his depression and anxiety, and made it a point to talk about how he sought help and therapy, and does tons of charity work on mental health, cancer research, and suicide prevention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Whatever come to jesus moment Fat Mike had during the bye week has been tremendous and I hate it and wish it didn't happen

they stopped trying to "establish the run" and/or "run the dang ball"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

He’s not even a top 5 Italian

I'm a top 5 italian

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

blarzgh posted:

I'm a top 5 italian

You're closer to the Kirk Cousins-tier, tbh

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
I wish I'd put more than $2.50 on Dak MVP before the bye. scared money don't make none and now I’m a mald bitch

blarzgh posted:

I disagree that this is a "Breakout season," in the sense that Dak has been basically this good since that weird, 8-8 season in 2019

I agree with pretty much everything in this post. Dak's always been this good it's just a matter of all the external factors (the coaching, the division, the conference) falling the right way. MVP voting is ~25-30% narrative; while that can't win the award on its own, it can definitely put another candidate over the top, and Dak's been up against some narrative heavyweights the past few seasons

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Dak has had a long road from Sulphur, LA, to MSU, to MVP front runner.

Whatever goes on the rest of the season, I'll be happy to see the "Dak is Kirk Cousins" narrative finally die.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ayudo posted:

Dak has had a long road from Sulphur, LA, to MSU, to MVP front runner.

Whatever goes on the rest of the season, I'll be happy to see the "Dak is Kirk Cousins" narrative finally die.

Well let’s see what he does in the playoffs

He’s still on the Kirk course atm

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
yeah unfortunately even with an mvp he's still a regular season superstar until either the team doesn't collapse as a group, he brute forces a win, or has a loss like 2020 Mahomes/2021 Allen

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Blarzgh linking some esoteric made up statistic to prove that Dak is actually more Italian than Chef Boyardee

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Dak has the best CPOE (chicken parm over expected) since Manning.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

God chicken parm is the best . Holy poo poo

I’m pulling for dak this year now that the eagles are done. Adopting the Cowboys !!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's sickening how do none of you have proper NFC East hatred

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Doltos posted:

Blarzgh linking some esoteric made up statistic to prove that Dak is actually more Italian than Chef Boyardee

The collective of Australia is more Italian than Chef Boyardee

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I have the Highest Eggplant Parm Added/Plate of any poster in this thread

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

blarzgh posted:

I'm a top 5 italian

this is how an italian would say they intend to top five italians

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tommy “lover of mommy” DeVito is tearing our thread apart

Also https://hardcoreitalians.blog/2019/05/31/top-50-u-s-cities-with-the-most-italian-americans/

Philly population is about 1.5 mil
NYC population is about 8.5 mil

1.8/8.5 = 21% italian nyc

.497/1.5 = 33% italian philly

Eyyyyyy we’re italianing here

I trust this website from “hardcore italians dot blog” implicitly

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My brother in christ you just linked a blog that's called hardcore Italians that has cited information from 1990 written by Marissa

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i absolutely loving love this thread

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

My brother in christ you just linked a blog that's called hardcore Italians that has cited information from 1990 written by Marissa

(In Blarzgh voice) Well you see the statistics derive from a 1990s census and given both cities have suffered similar population declines (slaps chart on wall) it is clearly a citable source and I win

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Not all North Jersey white guys with funny sounding last names are Italian AND Giants fans.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

euphronius posted:

I’m pulling for dak this year now that the eagles are done. Adopting the Cowboys !!

Chicken parm is great. I always make it for New Years Eve.

I'm Swedish.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

davecrazy posted:

Not all North Jersey white guys with funny sounding last names are Italian AND Giants fans.

Yeah some of them cheer for the jets.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

i absolutely loving love this thread

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation

Doltos posted:

That's sickening how do none of you have proper NFC East hatred

the Giants are the only team that have been worth hating since the NFL began in 2002. gently caress Tommy cutlets

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
my great-grandfather francis quotidomine was born of mary nicole di maio who arrived in ellis island on the s.s. dante alighieri. all of that is, to my knowledge, completely factual.

francis wrote a few books and they are bugfuck wild and he miiight have had some poorly aged thoughts on the jews? whaddayagonnado. i never met him, he died in the mid-90s at the age of 98

anyway i made chicken parm last night and will make it again tomorrow

just another on-topic post in the nfc east thread

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

indigi posted:

the Giants are the only team that have been worth hating since the NFL began in 2002. gently caress Tommy cutlets

OH! Getdafuck outta ‘ere!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation

quote:

Mystique of Mysticism. This book is a documented record of the experiences of initiates into spiritual Christ-consciousness under the guidance of the mystical master, Quotidomine.

whoa

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My big uncle bob caught the iceman serial killer and a cousin played as a backup catcher for the Yankees in the 80's we're a pretty prestigious Italian clan

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Philadelphia number is a bit low since Delco absorbed most of the Italians like some kind of gravy sponge

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

davecrazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZVj0KpKZWE&t=43s

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'd like to announce that I am 0% Italian.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CowboysStats/status/1735069609907089890?t=GmHd7mSVTSXQL2EOuBeLRA&s=19

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Black Lighter posted:

Who's the most Italian QB in the division? I think it's Dak Prescott, and the following statistics will show

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

euphronius posted:

Wow, how did we get Euph in the Nfc East thread draft?

Eh, it's fine I'll take it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

my great-grandfather francis quotidomine was born of mary nicole di maio who arrived in ellis island on the s.s. dante alighieri. all of that is, to my knowledge, completely factual.

francis wrote a few books and they are bugfuck wild and he miiight have had some poorly aged thoughts on the jews? whaddayagonnado. i never met him, he died in the mid-90s at the age of 98

anyway i made chicken parm last night and will make it again tomorrow

just another on-topic post in the nfc east thread

this is helping me understand the Passione of the eagles and giants fans

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1735517894388404503?t=6bo7sVZTLLcy1yx9KvJNvg&s=19

Next time any of us claim to know anything about the NFL, remember this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

An underrated part is the Chargers beat the Vikings (28-24) like 2 months ago

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

blarzgh posted:

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1735517894388404503?t=6bo7sVZTLLcy1yx9KvJNvg&s=19

Next time any of us claim to know anything about the NFL, remember this

A team averaging 33 pts/game while limiting their opponents to a mere 12/game!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Slay is apparently out until the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hurts has the plague or something, apparently

Things going great rn