Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Docjowles posted:

The Texans show that it’s possible to have an immediate turnaround (until all your players abruptly die). You have to nail everything though and do we really expect the Krafts to do that? Firing Bill means you have to rebuild EVERYTHING, the whole front office was built in his image as well.

Maybe you hit on DeMeco/Stroud or Zac Taylor/Burrow but it seems equally or more likely to get Gase/Darnold or Reich/Young or McDaniels/Jimmy or Hackett/Russ or ……

I’m glad they’ll be taking the swing. Just tempering my expectations as there’s a high chance it fails because this poo poo is hard.

I'd like to know more about Zac Taylor immediately turning around the Bengals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Has any division ever had a worse collection of coaches than what the NFCS has had this season?

2012 AFCW: John Fox, Norv Turner, Romeo Crennel, and Dennis Allen.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MrLogan posted:

I'd like to know more about Zac Taylor immediately turning around the Bengals.

I was going to write up a longer reply til I saw who I was responding to. Super Bowl appearance followed up by AFCCG, seems pretty good???? What did the Raiders do in that span, and versus the Bengals in the playoffs specifically? I’ll wait.

Good job nitpicking “immediately” I guess, got me to write this post about two teams I don’t root for

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

SKULL.GIF posted:

I nominate the 2009 NFC West. Spagnuolo, Whisenhunt, Jim Mora, Singletary.

fartknocker posted:

2002 NFC North: Mike Sherman, Mike Tice, Dick Jauron, and Marty Mornhinweg.

Gonna be tough to beat these quartets in this game of Immaculate poo poo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MrLogan posted:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
More outright mediocre I guess, but 1998 NFCE had Vince Tobin, Chan Gailey, Jim Fassel, Ray Rhodes, and Norv. Narrow window to be post Gibbs-1 & Parcells and pre-Reid.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Docjowles posted:

I was going to write up a longer reply til I saw who I was responding to. Super Bowl appearance followed up by AFCCG, seems pretty good???? What did the Raiders do in that span, and versus the Bengals in the playoffs specifically? I’ll wait.

Good job nitpicking “immediately” I guess, got me to write this post about two teams I don’t root for

The Bengals sucked out loud under Taylor until Burrow got there, and even then they sucked during Burrows rookie year (even before he got hurt). If the owners weren't so cheap, he probably would've been fired before they drafted Burrow. And the team may have been better off for it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

MrLogan posted:

Still can't believe John Fox gets to the Super Bowl and squanders it by practicing in stupid no audience sound conditions.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 15 UPDATE

We have a pretty good idea of where everyone stands at this point, so with only four weeks until Black Monday, this should be a quick and dirty update.

COOL

Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks

I went back and forth on McDermott for a while, and decided he’s not in serious danger at the moment (The Athletic’s Tim Graham reported as such a few weeks ago). The Bills have undoubtedly underachieved this year, but they still have a good chance to make a run and be a real threat in January (they’re by far the most talented team of the Wild Card chasers). And while the 9/11 story was embarrassing, it happened years ago and he immediately apologized, so it seems like everyone has moved on. If they miss the playoffs we can revisit this, but for now I’m keeping my powder dry.

And no I’m not heating up Tomlin no matter what Mark Madden says.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

We’ll get to the name missing from this list, cause woof.

MILD

Robert Saleh, New York Jets – I said earlier that I was done with Saleh discourse until further notice. Well, “further notice” has come. Once again the Jets offense flatlined with Zach Wilson, and Saleh couldn’t look more emasculated trying to convince people (and possibly himself) that he gives them the best chance to win. He’s probably right, but that says a lot more about Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian. Either way, Wilson is back in the lineup and hanging an anchor around this entire franchise.

Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints – Just terrible vibes in NOLA right now. The Saints comfortably beat Carolina last week and it was still filled with weird decisions and teammates getting pissed at each other. The Derek Carr signing has not worked out on any level, and Allen has yet to show he can really elevate a roster in a meaningful way. A better-coached team is probably running away with this division.

Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – I think he’s the least hot of the NFC South mess, but not by much. The Bucs are staying relevant thanks to some veteran talent left over from the Brady days, plus Baker still having some YOLO magic from time to time. Otherwise, it’s not an inspiring effort from Bowles.

MODERATE

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears – So uh, are the Bears gonna gently caress around and save Eberflus’ job? They’ve quietly won 3 of their last 4 games, with Fields playing some of the cleanest football of his career so far. With a notoriously conservative ownership group, it wouldn’t shock me if they decide this mini-streak is enough to give Eberflus another chance. That will probably backfire horribly in 2024, but it’s a good sight better than they were in September. Bears fans can debate whether this is a good thing or not, but I’m a sucker for teams pulling themselves off the mat after everyone has counted them out.

Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons – It’s basically playoffs-or-bust for Smith, and they’re in real danger of going bust, even in the NFC South. Too many mistakes that cost them winnable games, and still not utilizing the best talent on their roster. That Week 18 game against the Saints could be a loser-leaves-town match for both coaching staffs.

SPICY HOT

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots – The greatest coach in history in Spicy Hot. Never thought I’d see the day.

This ranking is mostly leaning on the report from NBC Sports Boston’s Tim Curran, who says that Kraft already made up his mind after the humiliating no-show in Germany. It will most likely be a “mutual parting of ways” rather than an outright firing, but either way, the writing is on the wall. And so ends the greatest dynasty in sports history, not with a bang but with a Zappe.

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – Justin Herbert died for nothing :(

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders – He’s still around? Huh.

Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders (interim coach: Antonio Pierce)

Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Chris Tabor)
– Reich was certainly part of the problem, but he had no hope in the complete shitshow that the Panthers organization has become. Dumping all their talented veterans so they can draft a rookie QB, only to be shocked that the rookie QB is struggling with no weapons or protection, is the kind of move only a hedgefund-brained owner can make. If Bryce Young doesn’t make a big Year 2 leap, that trade will go down as an all-time disaster.

As for Reich himself, he strongly hinted at taking time off, and that might be the end of the line for the 62-year-old. He may pop up down the road in an advisory role (a well-respected veteran with plenty of powerful connections), but we've probably seen the last of him as a major coaching presence.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 14, 2023

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Benne posted:

WEEK 15 UPDATE

MILD

Robert Saleh, New York Jets – I said earlier that I was done with Saleh discourse until further notice. Well, “further notice” has come. Once again the Jets offense flatlined with Zach Wilson, and Saleh couldn’t look more emasculated trying to convince people (and possibly himself) that he gives them the best chance to win. He’s probably right, but that says a lot more about Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian. Either way, Wilson is back in the lineup and hanging an anchor around this entire franchise.
So… did you write this ahead of time or am I missing something when I look at the box score? This was the one week I wouldn’t have said the Jets flatlined. But I didn’t watch the game so I could be missing something.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zach was/is also player of the week https://www.nfl.com/news/new-york-qbs-zach-wilson-tommy-devito-highlight-players-of-the-week

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Timmy Age 6 posted:

So… did you write this ahead of time or am I missing something when I look at the box score? This was the one week I wouldn’t have said the Jets flatlined. But I didn’t watch the game so I could be missing something.

I mean he's not wrong because Wilson had one good game. He's still a huge anchor on the franchise.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Still can't believe John Fox gets to the Super Bowl and squanders it by practicing in stupid no audience sound conditions.

You can't seriously believe that would've made an appreciable difference in that absolute bloodbath of a game

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

syzpid posted:

I mean he's not wrong because Wilson had one good game. He's still a huge anchor on the franchise.

Zach Wilson balling out also highlights that moving to loving Tim Boyle was a huge mistake, and that maybe Wilson could have kept the playoff hopes alive (still are technically, but not really).

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Gully Foyle posted:

Zach Wilson balling out also highlights that moving to loving Tim Boyle was a huge mistake, and that maybe Wilson could have kept the playoff hopes alive (still are technically, but not really).

Wilson needed the devote and revoke of confidence to improve. Getting benched and replaced with Rodgers is one thing but Tim bolye? Maybe getting the 4th whack at this is what he needed to unfuck his brain

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It was more having one great half, and it was against the Texans D.

If nothing else, though, we've learned Wilson really was the best QB they had. Doesn't excuse not getting another QB, but that's the GM's fault.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Gully Foyle posted:

Mega64 posted:

It was more having one great half, and it was against the Texans D.

If nothing else, though, we've learned Wilson really was the best QB they had. Doesn't excuse not getting another QB, but that's the GM's fault.

Honestly I think the defense was in open revolt again after playing insanely well and Wilson was doing nothing
Wilson is historically bad and it's just on the Jets FO that after 2 years of every backup on the team outplaying him, they found 2 QBs that were actually worse then him. Saleh also didn't help himself with his weird responses to why Wilson was still the starter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Saleh just clearly isn't a good coach but they are going to likely stick with him through next year where they will likely have like a 9 or 10 win year with Rodgers where they sneak into the playoffs that the Jets will celebrate like they won the superbowl resulting in extensions for him and Douglas. So what I'm trying to say is that his seat is ICE cold.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're not getting a winning record next year. Rodgers is not going to be that good and/or is going to get hurt again within the first 6 weeks because we're not unfucking this oline in a single offseason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sirtommygunn posted:

They're not getting a winning record next year. Rodgers is not going to be that good and/or is going to get hurt again within the first 6 weeks because we're not unfucking this oline in a single offseason.

If Rodgers plays something like 12-14 games they will have a winning record.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

He's a bad coach because the quarterback sucks is such a weird take to me.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

If Rodgers plays something like 12-14 games they will have a winning record.

He won't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Simplex posted:

He's a bad coach because he played a huge part in loving up the QB situation and his teams collapse every year. They also are dumb and undisciplined and he's a bad game manager. Every playoff relevant game he's ever coached has been a complete clusterfuck shitshow. He also hired a complete incompetent as his OC.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Jets should fire Saleh so he can be the DC for Todd Monken in Tampa.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I am here for the chaos season where Zach Wilson finally finished his 2.5 season long trial by fire, killing the doubts and confusion that have plagued him internally and allowing him to rip through the remainder of the Jets opponents like a man possessed, playing with a skill and fire beyond this mortal ken, as divine providence briefly shines down on East Rutherford, New Jersey and the Jets improbably, impossibly find themselves in the possession of the 7th seed come January. Amen.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm actually really curious what quarterbacks were out there and/or available that people think would improve the quarterback situation for the Jets, Steelers and Patriots.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Simplex posted:

I'm actually really curious what quarterbacks were out there and/or available that people think would improve the quarterback situation for the Jets, Steelers and Patriots.

Joe Flacco apparently.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Nervous posted:

I am here for the chaos season where Zach Wilson finally finished his 2.5 season long trial by fire, killing the doubts and confusion that have plagued him internally and allowing him to rip through the remainder of the Jets opponents like a man possessed, playing with a skill and fire beyond this mortal ken, as divine providence briefly shines down on East Rutherford, New Jersey and the Jets improbably, impossibly find themselves in the possession of the 7th seed come January. Amen.

Rodgers comes back and tears his other leg up, but no fear, Zach Wilson is here to save the day. God has anointed him. Zach is HIM.

*throws 4 picks*

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Black Sunshine posted:

You can't seriously believe that would've made an appreciable difference in that absolute bloodbath of a game

All I know is the game would've been less of a disaster and more of a normal style loss if they had competent practice standards. And that makes a big difference in whether he sticks around for another year I think.

I'm glad he was fired though. May Kubiak and Wade live forever and ever!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Joe Flacco apparently.

The guy who spend the last 2 years on the Jets being immobile and rear end behind a bad OL would probably look not much better behind a worse OL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If the jets really use a few good games in december this season to go into next year with the same QB room and rodgers gets hurt again and wilson is the jets starter for the FOURTH year i'm going to corncob into the core of the earth

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

There's like a dozen good quarterbacks in the league, a handful of guys who are kind of OK, then a giant puddle of lukewarm dog poo poo. I don't really see how you can draw conclusions that a coach screwed up the QB situation because they decided to start Tyson Bagent over Jim Bartleby or whatever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Simplex posted:

There's like a dozen good quarterbacks in the league, a handful of guys who are kind of OK, then a giant puddle of lukewarm dog poo poo. I don't really see how you can draw conclusions that a coach screwed up the QB situation because they decided to start Tyson Bagent over Jim Bartleby or whatever.

They went into the season with Wilson as the backup behind a 40 year old and 2 other guys who literally can't play the position at an NFL level. He's been the Jets coach for 3 years and he's had the worst offense in the NFL every single year. Solve the loving problem or GTFO.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think he needs at least two more years. Next year will be the Rodgers Redo. Then another season in '25 with another QB. At least.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Simplex posted:

Kevin Stefanski is 8-5 with four different quarterbacks this year. Zac Taylor is manufacturing wins with Jake Browning. We just saw Kevin O'Connell squeeze everything he could out of Dobbs and keep his team in the playoff race.

The good coaches find a way with bad QB situations. The bad coaches make it an excuse.

Benne fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 14, 2023

feller
Jul 5, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They went into the season with Wilson as the backup behind a 40 year old and 2 other guys who literally can't play the position at an NFL level. He's been the Jets coach for 3 years and he's had the worst offense in the NFL every single year. Solve the loving problem or GTFO.

Does Saleh have the ability to sign new QBs?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

feller posted:

Does Saleh have the ability to sign new QBs?

The GM needs to go too. But I don't believe that Saleh has zero say in what his QB room is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Benne posted:

Kevin Stefanski is 8-5 with four different quarterbacks this year. Zac Taylor is manufacturing wins with Jake Browning. We just saw Kevin O'Connell squeeze everything he could out of Dobbs and keep his team in the playoff race.

The good coaches find a way with bad QB situations. The bad coaches make it an excuse.

Correct.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Benne posted:

Not to make an excuse but the OC over there is Nathaniel Hackett. That's probably not helping meanwhile those other guys got HC jobs because they were great OCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Not to make an excuse but the OC over there is Nathaniel Hackett. That's probably not helping meanwhile those other guys got HC jobs because they were great OCs.

How did Hackett get there? Did he teleport into the building and just start running meetings and people felt bad to tell him to leave?