Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Combat goes one of two directions. Either I get pretty good initiative rolls with Cass and Argenta and it's a romp, or I get pretty badly hosed up because all my dudes go after all their dudes.

This is part of the reason officer and Tactical Master or Grand Strategist are so good--your free-turn-givers moving before everyone else lets you get the Argenta engine running outside the initiative track.

Dogmatic is great for those stereotypical 40k Big Speech moments:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

t3isukone posted:

Patch out, finally brave enough to start Chapter 3, saves actually working....

And I can't move. Like, I have to reload after I enter a new area because when the area first loads I cannot interact with anyone or anything. After reloading I CAN walk around but.

The same thing happened to me and it just went away after happening two or three times.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gainsboro posted:

Reading through the thread I'm bewildered by the number of complaints about early game difficulty. I'm playing on Normal and have already tripped into a dozen build traps (my rogue trader and two mercs are painfully bad compared to the story companions), but combat up to Footfall has been smooth sailing. Idiria and Cassia wipe entire squads without having to roll to hit. Argenta has a sniper rifle and a flamethrower, and everyone just orders her to go ham. I haven't touched a medkit since the tutorial on how to use them.

Is everyone else playing on Daring?

Cassia was at the second planet I visited, so not having "lol AoE death scream" for a lot of the fights was tough. I've been leaning into double melee with Pascal and Abe, so my playstyle felt "Slowly buff them up with Voice of Command & My +STR/+TGH buff and let them waddle into the fray" took a little effort to really get rolling. Also 2 whatyacallits that hand out Exploits was mega clunky early on with Idira + Pascal.

Also idk my main PC officer is a Deathworld Guy so I started with like 25 FEL which was really bad for Voice of Command, haha

But yes now that I have a general better understanding of my characters, 2 Officers who can repeatedly spam the thing that lets anyone take a turn with 2AP, it is a very different game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kind of funny that the noblewoman eating the living brain of a convict in chapter 4 just gets a casual remark from Heinrix that that sort of behaviour is actually perfectly acceptable in some imperial cults and not a surefire sign of heresy as we suggested and he might just be right.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

habeasdorkus posted:

Combat goes one of two directions. Either I get pretty good initiative rolls with Cass and Argenta and it's a romp, or I get pretty badly hosed up because all my dudes go after all their dudes.

Yeah this has been my experience on daring, sometimes one or more of my characters are dead before they get a chance to do anything and I'm just screwed. It also seems like every time a friendly NPC joins the fight, they spend every turn firing full auto into my party. During the warehouse fight when you first recruit Jae, on her very first turn she somehow managed to down 2 of my characters and almost got a 3rd, turning the fight that I was easily winning into a real clusterfuck. Nice to meet you, too!

I did end up using Toybox to cheat past one fight, the one on the Event Horizon tech priest voidship. I'm sure there's some trick to winning that but I was too impatient to try it again or come back at a higher level.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Invest in the Officer perk that gives them a free turn before battle starts, and/or invest in actual defense for the rest of the team.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

habeasdorkus posted:

this is kind of naval combat too, at least before you get shield and initiative upgrades. Owlcat loves to start five ships in firing range of you and have you go last

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a setting or mod that will keep NPC "allies" from lining up behind my guys and spraying them down with bolter and Las fire? Every single knockout I've had in Chapter 2 so far has been from my allies killing me.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Did anyone find the secret companions? I dont want to know who they are or where to get them, im just wondering if the community found them yet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Act 3 has been a little bit of a slog so far but it definitely had its moment.

Mazzy: Oh, hey, you guys survived! No hard feelings right?
Me: Oh, oh-hohohoh. OH. No. No, I'm loving killing you.
Mazzy: Bullshit, You're only here because of iylriet or however you spell her stupid name and she's standing right there.
Me: Remind me, which one of you sat in my chair?
Mazzy: ...
Ilreeeyeet: Him.
Me: :commissar:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Did anyone find the secret companions? I dont want to know who they are or where to get them, im just wondering if the community found them yet.

Read a list of em today - good bit more than I expected tbh. Some are alignment-locked tho

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Devorum posted:

Is there a setting or mod that will keep NPC "allies" from lining up behind my guys and spraying them down with bolter and Las fire? Every single knockout I've had in Chapter 2 so far has been from my allies killing me.

In the grim dark future, there is only friendly fire.

Good thing I can buff my guy up to like 130 TGH

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I uh, am either loving stupid or there's a bug in my game. I finished the reactor quest, and had a radio message that says I should go see the governor. Only I can't get out of my apartments. There's no exit, and the elevator has no interaction point. is there a way to fast travel I somehow missed?

Edit: it fixed itself on the second reload

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 14, 2023

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I’m not sure yet but I’m guessing the AI on your ship becomes a companion at some point because their quest is in the Companion Quest section.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So there are some extra companions based on alignment, thats good. Argenta seems like nearly everyone's MVP and I don't see her following a Heretic in the slightest. I was thinking for a full heretic playthrough I was going to either go Markmen myself or run with a merc.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Devorum posted:

The only thing I've seen is a Master Tactician ability that makes your team have less CTH from Ally attacks, less damage, and like 1/2 crit damage or something along those lines

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh wait there are secret companions? Are any of those romanceable? I am just curious because I know some people were disappointed with the gay dude option while I am pretty happy with what I got on the lesbian side of things.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ethiser posted:

the AI on your ship .

Heresy!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

She's stuck around with my heretical rear end.

I really don't think I have a single MVP, sometimes Abe/Pas wreck house, particularly against large numbers of melee encounters and double Charge Attacks.

Then I'll get like lower number, high Dodge encounters and my snipes pay dividends.

I don't necessarily have a good Anti Armor but Yrteli or whatever her name is sometimes just instagibs things for Lethal, or does a mild amount of damage. Also Pascals exploits can shred armor in a pinch, but I don't like when I have to do that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

There are three secret companions — but you’ll only be able to recruit one for each playthrough. Each of the three companions is related to the three convictions. Only with extremely high Dogmatic, Iconoclast or Heretical convictions, will you be able to make the right choices and unlock one of these three.

The dogmatic and iconoclast are pretty much "reach rank 5" but the heretic requires several choices across the game (fairly obvious, always embrace heresy)

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Cassia for sure is my MVP, she's got so much AoE damage potential. Prior to getting burst argenta fully online she'd be stun locking people who survived her attacks while my other party members finished them off. These days she gets them to clump up into Argenta's burst fire alley.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Eifert Posting posted:

iylriet
Ilreeeyeet

Sab669 posted:

Yrteli or whatever her name is

Just think of it like an elfified "Juliet", that helped me remember

anyways yeah cassia was early game mvp easy and then argenta pulled ahead and is absolutely vital to the success of my hypercapitalist killteam, everyone else exists to feed her buffs and keep her from getting swarmed

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 14, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Act 3 has been a little bit of a slog so far but it definitely had its moment.

Mazzy: Oh, hey, you guys survived! No hard feelings right?
Me: Oh, oh-hohohoh. OH. No. No, I'm loving killing you.
Mazzy: Bullshit, You're only here because of iylriet or however you spell her stupid name and she's standing right there.
Me: Remind me, which one of you sat in my chair?
Mazzy: ...
Ilreeeyeet: Him.
Me: :commissar:

I like using "petty" reasons to justify wholly serious grievances. "You've been a blight on my people, personally attacked and tortured me, and manipulated one of my retinue to do so. But most importantly, you sat your filthy xenos rear end on my chair." :allears:

The stealth encounter at the very start has left a very sour impression on me for act 3, though. I really should have opened the bug menu and submitted a suggestion that it straight up shouldn't be there. It's completely at odds with the rest of the game so far.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The neoseeker companion guide has been updated with builds, but has Idira and Pasqual taking Bounty Hunter?

Of all the archetypes mentioned so far that is the one everyone seems the most dismissive of by far.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I’m not sure yet but I’m guessing the AI on your ship becomes a companion at some point because their quest is in the Companion Quest section.

Going by the artbook pictures and a certain specific achievement I'm seeing in the list, no I think that's a C'tan Shard, or near enough. Which I don't really see being a party member.

I could be entirely wrong on one or both points though!

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

pentyne posted:

The neoseeker companion guide has been updated with builds, but has Idira and Pasqual taking Bounty Hunter?

Of all the archetypes mentioned so far that is the one everyone seems the most dismissive of by far.

Idira makes for a good BH because I don't think psykers can make use of the weak point assassin stuff, for Pasqie though that's a weird choice. He's got a huge Int which I put to work with Grand Strat and the perks that add Int bonus to melee damage and move speed.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
hmm, how do i get more of the warp stuff i need to make new paths to planets? I think I've scanned every system I could get to, didn't think I was being that profligate but I guess I was!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Did they fix the soft freeze when Slaaneshi daemons attack you in your quarters during warp travel?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bounty Hunter is really strong, it's just kind of a pain in the rear end to use because it requires a lot of setup and a lot of remembering how you set things up each time, and it spams you with a lot of less-useful extra turns where you can't attack, and requires pretty exact positioning for your BH. It essentially requires deciding who the BH's targets will be at the start of combat instead of reactively using them to attack whoever is most advantageous and that kind of sucks. But it applies lots of strong debuffs/buffs that last until the end of the combat.

Overall its power isn't worth all its complex rules IMO but it's definitely not bad.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Bounty Hunter is good, it's just counterintuitive and kind of boring. I run two. I run Cassia as grand strategist because it guarantees that she goes first.

It makes sense for Pascal because he's kind of a man without a home when it comes to dealing damage. You can spend all of his action points on buffing and debuffing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I laughed irl at Cassia doing the Frank Reynolds seduction technique of walking into a room and instantly going "oh whoops, just dropped my scented handkerchief"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Bounty Hunter is good, it's just counterintuitive and kind of boring. I run two. I run Cassia as grand strategist because it guarantees that she goes first.

It makes sense for Pascal because he's kind of a man without a home when it comes to dealing damage. You can spend all of his action points on buffing and debuffing.

I'm using Bounty Hunter primarily as a way to negate armor. It's very noticable even discounting Argenta's Arch-Militant stacks--seeing Yrliet or Pasqal's damage before they've stacked up a few crits and after is a huge difference.

Anyway, Owlcat can't do math.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

hmm, how do i get more of the warp stuff i need to make new paths to planets? I think I've scanned every system I could get to, didn't think I was being that profligate but I guess I was!

Yea I really don't like this system. I feel like I'm just completely blindly trying to get to new ? to chart in order to gain points to probe for new routes. No idea what direction I should even vaguely be going in.

edit; ^Owlcan't

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 14, 2023

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Because I've played other Owlcat games, I've downloaded Toybox, toggle points of interest is a gamechanger. Where is the setting for free respecs?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Oh no they fixed the thing I was exploiting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Clerical Terrors posted:

Oh no they fixed the thing I was exploiting.

:rip: Cass

e: Haven't read the patch notes but I'm already noticing a lot of nice changes. Charge now shows a damage prediction, you can fire Burst Fire even if there aren't enough shots in your magazine to cover your entire RoF...

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 14, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
OK so I'm trying something new with Cassia, but I have to know : what is/does Warp damage, exactly ? Is it only the perils of the warp stuff (and some rare bits of demonic/heretic gear that specifically say Warp damage) or do psyker/navigator powers also count as Warp dmg ? Basically what I wanna know is : does her "any enemy damaged by cassia's powers takes more warp damage" ramp up her own eyeblast damage ?

habeasdorkus posted:

I got a flat 15 out of meeting with/strongarming a deal out of Cassia's family when they tried to take her back (and other incidents). Other than that it's just finding new routes I think. Maybe there are more events in that quest chain ?

But yeah, don't spend too much on routes. Only make the routes between the main planets absolutely safe since you'll regularly be doing some back/forth. Yellow danger is fine (lots of harmless flavour events, the occasional fight for free XP and gear). Haven't yet had the balls to try red or purple.

In other related news, I found out two things today :
1) you're not restricted to established routes. If you already know where a system is, you can spend 3 navipoints to create a brand new route between where you are and that system. It will, however, be a purple route.
2) you can apparently pick extractors back up. Dunno if that was a beta thing or if it's still true, but.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So Chapter 4 is about as unfinished as the end of 2 was. There was straight up no option to say Yes to the Inquisitor that wanted me to join their war, there's a bunch of quests that don't finish right and there's no proper quest logs for a bunch of companion quests. At this point I'm not expecting the game to end very well because it is really petering out in terms of fight and quest design.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

habeasdorkus posted:

When you reach an unexplored system and pick the 'Chart New Routes' option, you get 1 Navigator's Insight (the resource). As you can tell, it's very limited, unless you use Toybox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Realizing that Yrliet is supposed to be able to use Wanderers Portent which would be a huge boost to her killing power in any given turn, but they've added a tag that Eldar cant use the eldar rifle that also requires her main trait, and that means nobody can use it.

Very odd.