Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sephyr posted:

I'm almost relieved that Liefeld turns out to be personally awful. It justifies my decades of spite for him for purely professional reasons.

I've been hearing since ever that "Rob is a likable guy, he has such enthusiasm for the industry!" And always thought "I wish any of that showed in his work."

I actually like his really early work, like that issue of X-Men where aliens invade Australia. But I think that's carried a lot by Claremont's writing. But yeah, he sucks.

https://youtu.be/RmLFGWAyajU?si=3sKe3U44rNQYZVP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

David D. Davidson posted:

Didn't Grant Morrison ghost write a large portion of Red Son?

The story I heard was Morrison ghost wrote large chunks of Superman Adventures.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Man, the cover for that book is just awful. Real amateur hour here

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jordan7hm posted:

Everything Millar ever wrote has always been terrible, but he helped his co-creators get paid in a way very few others who made it to Hollywood did. Sad to see him lean in to this trash.

I've had the thought for a while that most of the movies based on Millar's work have had a number of positive changes made in the process, so it might make more sense to cut out the middle man and just have Matthew Vaughn write the drat comics.

thetoughestbean posted:

Man, the cover for that book is just awful. Real amateur hour here

Also, I can't imagine Simone or DeConnick would sign off on that. I'm not sure about the legalities there, but I'm not sure you have to lend your face to the cover of what's almost certainly libel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Also, I can't imagine Simone or DeConnick would sign off on that. I'm not sure about the legalities there, but I'm not sure you have to lend your face to the cover of what's almost certainly libel.

The funny thing is... who's going to read it? Even a big part of the people interested - which isn't that much - aren't going to actually read the book.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
From Mark Waid's Facebook:

quote:

Gail is too modest to talk about how much help she gave Mark early in his career and how generous she was with her ideas and her talent...which makes it even more disgusting that he's promoting actual attacks on her. Unforgiveable. But if I had to guess, of the two, whose name will still be known and respected 30 years from now, I'd bet on Gail's.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

That book is so weird, like just from the cover. Do these people not realize that Simone is highly responsible for a lot of the characterization of Deadpool in current media? Do they not realize Kelly Sue is married to Fraction or do they believe he's not "woke" and just puts up with her? Like I have so many questions.

I know it's just that Simone and DeConnick are the most vocal now so that why they're the targets but how do you write a whole loving book about this poo poo?

On a related note I looked a little into Liefeld's dumb turn and I mean firstly saying he doesn't remember backlash to Miles Morales and then looking at the comments and it's straight gamergate strategy gaslighting of "it's about making spider-man a different character, not that it's an afro-latino." I feel dumber even looking into it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

There's a million unauthorized biographies with cover photos of the subject. There's no legal requirement to require your subject to sign off on their photo. The original photographer, however, has a pretty easy copyright claim here since I'd be shocked if they signed off on their photo being traced for this. A libel claim would be separate from any sort of copyright or likeness issue, though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

RevKrule posted:

That book is so weird, like just from the cover. Do these people not realize that Simone is highly responsible for a lot of the characterization of Deadpool in current media? Do they not realize Kelly Sue is married to Fraction or do they believe he's not "woke" and just puts up with her? Like I have so many questions.

I know it's just that Simone and DeConnick are the most vocal now so that why they're the targets but how do you write a whole loving book about this poo poo?

On a related note I looked a little into Liefeld's dumb turn and I mean firstly saying he doesn't remember backlash to Miles Morales and then looking at the comments and it's straight gamergate strategy gaslighting of "it's about making spider-man a different character, not that it's an afro-latino." I feel dumber even looking into it.
Bold of you to assume any of these people know poo poo about dick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1735330313851867565

Friends, I think that journalist might not be very good at investigating.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you look close renfamous was one of the crisis actors at Sandy hook. Alex Jones said so

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’ve talked poo poo about CG stuff, am I on the payroll?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/gailsimone/status/1735349417031680408?s=46

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am guessing Mark Millar is discovering that talking poo poo on Twitter can in fact impact the real world.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The thing is, even if he wasn't clearly lying here, he's still on the record agreeing with all the cg people and their sentiments that Gail et al. are destroying comics by being woke? How is that conversation even going? "Hey Gail, I think you suck and having females in comics is evil, but you misunderstand, I'm not advocating a book that says exactly that!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All a big misunderstanding - SOMEone is plotting to kill comics from within, it's just... uh... someone else over there, don't look yet, we're on the case.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean it also could be he realizing he's now burnt bridges with the major two as well here affecting his chances at future work

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hostile V posted:

Bold of you to assume any of these people know poo poo about dick.

Sometimes I have more hope for society than I should. It has never worked out for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
has he even done anything big 2 in a while? he might be concerned about keeping his new deal with dark horse tho

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It looks like that all pissed off Mark Waid who has a lot of pull in the industry and that's got Millar scared.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The other book was written by a big boy who ran away please don't get mad at me

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

has he even done anything big 2 in a while? he might be concerned about keeping his new deal with dark horse tho
Millar implied then directly said he was going to work on a Superman book for DC earlier this year, and as part of whatever weird Comicsgate-Curious thing he's doing now keeps sort of musing how gee, maybe he should be generous and go back and write some books for Marvel and DC, ones that would actually be popular!

He's also doing a specific riff on the whole "comics should take care of their elder statesmen" thing about how if he were to go back to Marvel or DC, wouldn't it be great if they also brought back Rob Liefeld, John Byrne, Chuck Dixon, etc?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

RevKrule posted:

Sometimes I have more hope for society than I should. It has never worked out for me.
You should believe in society and the people you know and love around you as much as you want. You should extend some kindness and benefit of the doubt to folks around you you aren't as familiar with. It's not wrong to think better of people. It's just this specific breed of shithead that shouldn't have anything good, rational or intelligent attributed to them or their plans.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
https://vxtwitter.com/gailsimone/status/1735378751448551699?s=46&t=A08L_-tgbhLvnJJMH8yhqw

Edit: She is a lot more patient and forgiving than I am. I’m not sure I’d have given him the time of day.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i can't really take any excuse from millar seriously when, further down in gail's thread, you wind up seeing this

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sometimes I find myself wondering "Is this person extremely dumb and oblivious, or are they actively bad" and almost always the answer does not matter, the solution is just to ignore them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

I actually like his really early work, like that issue of X-Men where aliens invade Australia. But I think that's carried a lot by Claremont's writing. But yeah, he sucks.

https://youtu.be/RmLFGWAyajU?si=3sKe3U44rNQYZVP8

The one in which they were mocking DC's Invasion event! Wow, that was a thing. Yeah, it was a funny one-off, and ; I recall his art being a bit off-model but not terrible, which suited the cartoonish style.

I mean, if I remember correctly the main threat is the aliens dropping a Jean-netic bomb that is just a clone of Jean Grey and wrecks every relationship on the planet.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Hostile V posted:

You should believe in society and the people you know and love around you as much as you want.

No thanks. Half of them are Catholic and the other half are Masons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inkspot posted:

No thanks. Half of them are Catholic and the other half are Masons.

Well, at least you're set if you ever need a cathedral.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

site posted:

yeah i can't really take any excuse from millar seriously when, further down in gail's thread, you wind up seeing this

Kind of hilarious how “The Whisper Network” is pretty much the ComicsGate equivalent of “The Deep State” and Andrew Tate’s “Matrix.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If Millar endorses the term “cancel pig” then surely he has an equal term for those on the other side of the ideological sphere, I can’t wait to see what it is

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
Misunderstood lads.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Mark Millar's a loving coward and backed down when Gail brought this poo poo to his face in real life.

Grant Morrison was right to hate his guts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

Mark Millar's a loving coward and backed down when Gail brought this poo poo to his face in real life.

The "oh, no, I was talking about an UNRELATED problem facing the comic industry" was quick. Did EVS and crew turn on him?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

E the Shaggy posted:

I absolutely love Gail

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

https://vxtwitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656?lang=en

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
didn't realize I was still following Brian Wood on Twitter until one of his lovely tweets crossed my timeline today. apparently he's a vocal Zionist who retweets Bari Weiss

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As if I needed another reason to hate the creep.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I read just about everything Brian Wood did for a period in the early 2010s and that introduced me to a bunch of great artists and other creators.

Immediately dropped him in 2013 after the Fowler allegations and honestly have given him the least amount of thought I could for a long time. Sucks to see he fell down the even shittier hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He’s a really lovely guy. Northlanders was real good though.