Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
ranger is fine but he's a boring dude in a spectacle game where fencers are turboblendeirng at 5000kph, and the air raider is scampering around waiting for his next vehicle call-in while the spritefall lady laughs and hearing NOW YOU KNOW HOW STRONG PHOBOS IS while the entire area turns into explosions

also air raider gets the super idiot missile that nobody ever brings the tracking laser for that does 10 billion damage but also moves at 5kph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I really hope 6 brings back Rule of God. Spritefall is my favorite child but cutting a map-wide swath of destruction has its charm.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Played the Air raider class today. That was fun as hell. I'm still in the mission 30s. So lots of content to see still yay

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Air Raider is the closest any game has ever been to describing a low-fantasy archwizard. You raze cities, burn armies, reduce all to ash until one guy gets within 30 feet and then you are f u c k e d.

It's perfect, give me a fantasy EDF please.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

raverrn posted:

Air Raider is the closest any game has ever been to describing a low-fantasy archwizard. You raze cities, burn armies, reduce all to ash until one guy gets within 30 feet and then you are f u c k e d.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zangeki_no_Reginleiv

sometimes referred to as Norse Defense Force

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Give me a new fantasy EDF that is available translated and for platforms I use.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
there is a translation patch. can't help you with the rest.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Hello sadness my old friend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Earth Defense Norse, surely

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately, even if you get the partially translated version it's still a wii game that relied on wiimote motion control. in other words, the controls are amazingly bad.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

wow its pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssD_CVQfj0c

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
it is a very good game, with cutscenes, early limb cutting like the modern edfs,a crafting tree system and a lot more bosses than the edfs of the time

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I dunno what is it is but sandlot games always have an exciting charm to them, where massive enemies actually feel massive, and your weapons feel powerful.
I remember the first time I saw EDF 2025, I stopped watching after 5 minutes and immediately went to buy it. Played through it, and thought "well that wasn't as cool as it looked on Youtube" then I realized I bought Insect Armageddon. So I bought the real game and I was hooked

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

I dunno what is it is but sandlot games always have an exciting charm to them, where massive enemies actually feel massive, and your weapons feel powerful.

It's because for all the stupid takes of "it's a budget game" and "so bad it's good", Sandlot actually know how to design a loving videogame, the hitstun, audio and visual cues, encounter design etc are all on point and better than most AAA trash.

The only real flaw with these games is the gacha bollocks.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

Earth Defense Norse, surely

:vince:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Ranger seems boring because it doesn't have flashy stuff like airstrikes or aerial movement or whatever until you play ranger for a while and realize that a full shotgun magazine is more powerful than most air strikes and your response to a hundred ants rushing you down is to pull the trigger three times.

In EDF5 with the missile lock booster accessories, it also really drives home my dumb opinion of "Ranger is also the anti-air class???" (see also: Sniper rifles vs super drones. Rocket launchers having infinite range so you are already shooting spawn towers/ship hatches while everyone else is working their way forwards). Though missiles come with dumb hitbox risks like a tower slightly too tall for a missile lock, or emerald launchers deciding the explosion will a magical area of the top that does not actually damage it :argh: Then I remember my fun work in cave levels.

McSpanky posted:

EDF might just have some of the most satisfying shotguns in all of gaming.

I am so loving glad they gave shot penetration to all of them in 5. Still strong enough to hunt godzilla on foot. But now capable of killing more than one ant at a time extremely hard.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

This is very incredibly true

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Section Z posted:

I am so loving glad they gave shot penetration to all of them in 5. Still strong enough to hunt godzilla on foot. But now capable of killing more than one ant at a time extremely hard.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that caveat. Pellet penetration was a loving godsend.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Minion Buster was my goto in Inferno, because every loving thing had armor and just wouldn't die. You only get several thousand armor limit, so shotgun wasn't keeping me alive. I don't remember if 4.1 even let you know which weapons had it, but it was needed. If Ranger ever gets nerfed, let Air Raider have Minion Buster.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
CUSTOM MECH WARS is out this week and I'm debating getting the EDF preorder pack because it gives you Barga parts which is as close as Steam will get to EDF in the next year, I'm guessing.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

You can make some serious Cronenberg mechs, I've already strapped a giant anime girl head on a train.

The train struggles to make a 5 degree turn, but every mech has a really powerful booster jet attached. I wish it let me struggle with my own terrible designs a bit more.

The leggy models don't feel stompy enough IMO, and the weapons don't seem to blow up buildings.

Maybe this will change after I play more than 30 minutes, but it feels more like an excuse to strap a cool builder to a terrible game.

Like Insect Armageddon Tier, not EDF 5

Vadun fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 11, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

CUSTOM MECH WARS is out this week and I'm debating getting the EDF preorder pack because it gives you Barga parts which is as close as Steam will get to EDF in the next year, I'm guessing.

The YouTube announcement for EDF 6 mentioned PlayStation and PC in Spring of 2024. Did something change since then, or just assuming more delays?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vadun posted:

You can make some serious Cronenberg mechs, I've already strapped a giant anime girl head on a train.

The train struggles to make a 5 degree turn, but every mech has a really powerful booster jet attached. I wish it let me struggle with my own terrible designs a bit more.

The leggy models don't feel stompy enough IMO, and the weapons don't seem to blow up buildings.

Maybe this will change after I play more than 30 minutes, but it feels more like an excuse to strap a cool builder to a terrible game.

Like Insect Armageddon Tier, not EDF 5

No, this is absolutely accurate. The cool builder is all the game has going for it. The core gameplay lacks everything that makes EDF fun and the animations are so so loving awful that it drags down the fun of making your own robot. You would unironically be better off getting New Gundam Breaker if you wanted a mech building game and I don't say that lightly. (You'd be much better off getting Gundam Breaker 3 or Armored Core 6.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Orvin posted:

The YouTube announcement for EDF 6 mentioned PlayStation and PC in Spring of 2024. Did something change since then, or just assuming more delays?
It's been that way since the first announcement.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Orvin posted:

I was being pessimistic but if it does eventuate in 2024 I'd be so happy

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Does anyone know for the Steam version of EDF 5, if there is a mod that allows one to unlock the higher difficulties at the beginning?

Reason being, I already played thru and beat EDF 5 on Hard on my PS4, then started a Hardest/Inferno difficulty new game, then had to put down the game for 2 years.

I wanted to buy the Steam version of EDF5 to play on my PC, to take advantage of faster framerates. But to play on Hardest difficulty I didn't want to start all over with a new game and be forced to play on the lower difficulties all over again on the Steam version. Unless there is a way I can transfer my EDF 5 saved game from the PS4 to the Steam version, but I doubt the formats are compatible.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Thank you very much! I never used that app before, and had no idea they had a CT/table for it. Also, my searches for unlocking the difficulties never called up CE links for some reason.

EDIT: With the latest EDF 5 CT table I found on the FearlessRevolutionforums, the CT table let me enable all the missions for All Classes, but did not appear to unlock the higher difficulty levels. The missions showed all as completed on Inferno, but if I went to select the mission difficulty the Hardest and Inferno difficulties were still locked.

I checked thru the CT file ( as it's text with tags) and it appears some Injection sections for the all the Player Classes were incomplete - there were options for the Ranger and for "All Classes", but not specifically for unlocking difficulties for The Fencer.

I'm just assuming the person making the EDF5 CT table file didn't realize the features were incomplete. Oh, well, I recall trying to get thru all missions on Hard difficulty was still a challenge, just wanted to be able to slug it out with the dark maroon and Gold ants again, which will have to wait.

At least with the Steam version now I see higher framerates than on my PS 4 Pro.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 12, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cheat engine has you covered

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ImpAtom posted:

No, this is absolutely accurate. The cool builder is all the game has going for it. The core gameplay lacks everything that makes EDF fun and the animations are so so loving awful that it drags down the fun of making your own robot. You would unironically be better off getting New Gundam Breaker if you wanted a mech building game and I don't say that lightly. (You'd be much better off getting Gundam Breaker 3 or Armored Core 6.)

That sucks, I was very intrigued by the screenshot of a car on 4 sexy legs with rocket launcher bolted to the roof.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

nnnotime posted:

Does anyone know for the Steam version of EDF 5, if there is a mod that allows one to unlock the higher difficulties at the beginning?

Reason being, I already played thru and beat EDF 5 on Hard on my PS4, then started a Hardest/Inferno difficulty new game, then had to put down the game for 2 years.

I wanted to buy the Steam version of EDF5 to play on my PC, to take advantage of faster framerates. But to play on Hardest difficulty I didn't want to start all over with a new game and be forced to play on the lower difficulties all over again on the Steam version. Unless there is a way I can transfer my EDF 5 saved game from the PS4 to the Steam version, but I doubt the formats are compatible.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Thank you very much! I never used that app before, and had no idea they had a CT/table for it. Also, my searches for unlocking the difficulties never called up CE links for some reason.

EDIT: With the latest EDF 5 CT table I found on the FearlessRevolutionforums, the CT table let me enable all the missions for All Classes, but did not appear to unlock the higher difficulty levels. The missions showed all as completed on Inferno, but if I went to select the mission difficulty the Hardest and Inferno difficulties were still locked.

I checked thru the CT file ( as it's text with tags) and it appears some Injection sections for the all the Player Classes were incomplete - there were options for the Ranger and for "All Classes", but not specifically for unlocking difficulties for The Fencer.

I'm just assuming the person making the EDF5 CT table file didn't realize the features were incomplete. Oh, well, I recall trying to get thru all missions on Hard difficulty was still a challenge, just wanted to be able to slug it out with the dark maroon and Gold ants again, which will have to wait.

At least with the Steam version now I see higher framerates than on my PS 4 Pro.
There is an instant win feature for CE.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is an instant win feature for CE.

Thanks for that helpful suggestion. I also had the realization this morning I could try to use CE to unlock all the missions again, then play the last mission on Easy mode, unlock the best weapons, and then see if that would trigger the game files to open up all the difficulties.

I would try to get thru the last mission quickly and the sound turned off, so when I finally got to that mission again I could experience it with better immersion.

But I will try your suggestion first, later today. Thanks again!

EDIT: I could not find the Instant Win feature, but did find an option to unlock all missions for all classes, and then I unlocked all weapons and max armor.

So I started a game in a new slot in EDF 5, then went to CE, unlocked all missions, then unlocked all weapons and armor. Then completed the first "tutorial" mission, then went into the Fencer screen to pick the best weapons,and max the armor.

Then I went to the unlocked last mission and played it on Easy. After getting thru the mission quickly, and the ending screen, I got the message the Harder difficulties were unlocked.

Then I quit the game, closed CE, then started a new game, went to a new slot, started a new game, and the Hardest and Inferno difficulties were now unlocked!

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 13, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Reviews for CUSTOM MECH WARS are in and it looks like in addition to gameplay being kind of meh, it's a completely hosed port. Looking forward to getting it in a bundle for 95% off sometime next year.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Yeah, I hit the refund button after an hour. It's wonky Armoured Core that controls like a slow Wing Diver, and the customisation stuff is a nightmare to navigate. Combat is simplistic even for an EDF derivative and doesn't feel good at all. Shame, but I'll be there day one for EDF6.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I expected it to be bad, being a mech builder with taped on gameplay. The reviews are destroying the game and there are few options and three resolution settings not including 1440p.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What a disappointment! Guess I'll keep waiting for that spiritual sequel to Robot Alchemic Drive...

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

McSpanky posted:

What a disappointment! Guess I'll keep waiting for that spiritual sequel to Robot Alchemic Drive...
https://www.mechadamashii.com/features/features-an-ode-to-sandlot/
Linking this article which im sure has been posted in this thread a few times by now. You're maybe aware if this but RAD is part of a loose series of games and is in itself a kind of spiritual sequel to Remote Control Dandy a game made by the team who founded Soundlot. They made a couple more after RAD including a true sequel to RCD and a game based on an anime licence they were trying to get when they were making RAD.

Theres a fan translation patch on romhacking.net for Remote Control Dandy too.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm still haunted by how well my friend was able to hit my human in RAD multiplayer with rocket fists.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
A robot killed grandma...

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I expected it to be bad, being a mech builder with taped on gameplay. The reviews are destroying the game and there are few options and three resolution settings not including 1440p.

I think we just wanted hordes of robots, even if the combat was bad. And a wide variety of weapons to fullfill that archwizard trope. Instead (from the videos) it looks like the enemies don't do much or anything at all, and come in small numbers.

Meh.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Armored bore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Armored Snore