Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I’d also like to see something done when just two survivors are left and there’s like three or more gens left to do. Because that can also dissolve into a slog as the remaining survivors realize gens are likely impossible to finish, and they stop focusing on them and just try to avoid being caught first so they can try for the hatch.

So you're saying they should bring back the old hatch spawning mechanic.

I'm so tired of the situation you're describing I almost believe this unironically myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
when only two survivors are left and there are three or more gens left, each survivor should be given a knife and the ability to mori the other survivor

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Killer can bet BP on the winner

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
3 gen solution:
Killer starts with 10 toes. Every time she kicks a generator, one toe falls off.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly miss the old hatch mechanics, keys are pretty much worthless now and it added a layer of unpredictability

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
If you bring or find a green key with no add-ons you should be able to burn 4 charges to throw it like a Distraction pebble

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Survivor items in general need a rework. It’s basically Medkit >>>> everything else unless you have a SWF or wanna do a challenge.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Danaru posted:

I honestly miss the old hatch mechanics, keys are pretty much worthless now and it added a layer of unpredictability

Yeah to some extent, but then eventually I got sick of dealing with 4 man SWFs that all mysteriously vanished because someone brought a key heh.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah to some extent, but then eventually I got sick of dealing with 4 man SWFs that all mysteriously vanished because someone brought a key heh.

For 4 survivors to get the hatch the gens have to all be done. Barring an amazing end game build, and/or a horrific altruism spiral, at least 3 of them are getting out at that point anyway.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Nikumatic posted:

when only two survivors are left and there are three or more gens left, each survivor should be given a knife and the ability to mori the other survivor

This but unironically. Keys changed to key shaped daggers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rydiafan posted:

For 4 survivors to get the hatch the gens have to all be done. Barring an amazing end game build, and/or a horrific altruism spiral, at least 3 of them are getting out at that point anyway.

Fair enough, guess it's been a bit so I don't remember all the details.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hatch spawned when there was only a single survivor, like now, OR when the number of completed gens exceeded the number of living survivors. So if there's 4 living survivors you'd need 5 completed gens, 3 survivor needs 4 completed, etc.

Au least with that there is some goal even when the survivors are hosed. Like let's say there's 3 gens remaining (so 2 completed) and 2 survivors alive. Currently, it's a competition to out-rat your fellow survivor. With old hatch spawn, if the two of you can get a single additional gen done (and either brought a key or get lucky with chests), you can both still get out.

It wasn't perfect, and it led to killer mains losing their poo poo when going for Otz-style winning streaks, but it had its benefits.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

rydiafan posted:

it led to killer mains losing their poo poo when going for Otz-style winning streaks, but it had which was one of its benefits.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I usually enjoy watching Youtube Otz videos. Very chill, entertaining, and informative. His Killstreak videos are the opposite of chill, and I don't bother watching them anymore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't get the sweaty killers who think less than a 4k is a loss, the game literally has win and lose music, if you get brutal killer or up you won :confused: maybe I'm the weird one

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Danaru posted:

I don't get the sweaty killers who think less than a 4k is a loss, the game literally has win and lose music, if you get brutal killer or up you won :confused: maybe I'm the weird one

It's because of the MMR. In order to get the "highest score" you have to have 4 kills, 4 "points". 3 kills and 1 hatch is 3 points, 3 kills and 1 out is 2 points, etc etc.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh, yeah that makes sense

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Honestly the biggest buff to killers was when they changed the loss text from "entity displeased" because that was always heartrending

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

rydiafan posted:

Medullah posted:

Fair enough, guess it's been a bit so I don't remember all the details.

It scaled based on survivors and gens left and was "Number of completed Generators = Number of alive Survivors + 1." So a whole team escape was very unlikely(or identical to a normal blow out) and the killer was pretty much out of luck but it wasn't uncommon at 4 gens left to see 2-3 people vanish effortlessly, robbing a killer of 1/4 to 1/3 of their match. :v: Some killer theory is that the game really starts when there are 2-3 gens left which makes sense given how trivially easy it is to lose 2 or so gens on first chase.

Same reason old moris were removed, it's just a small item fee to casually cut a significant portion of the other team's fair chances away.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Though speaking of Otz, as of today he's officially done highlighting problems in the game and making suggestions on how to fix them anymore as well as basically being done with his challenges and winstreaks.

I really hope he finds some other games he can stream and play cause god drat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Though speaking of Otz, as of today he's officially done highlighting problems in the game and making suggestions on how to fix them anymore as well as basically being done with his challenges and winstreaks.

I really hope he finds some other games he can stream and play cause god drat.

He's got a ton of other games he likes playing, unfortunately people don't watch them nearly as much as DBD so it's a financial hit for him. :(

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ha, I was watching when he got that cheater from the video, the guy was behaving exactly like bots do when I can aura read what they're doing. He went left, they went right, he went right, they went left

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I like Otz a lot and hope he can find continued success without giving himself an aneurysm in the process.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Time for the no hit all bosses Elden Ring grind, Otz-senpai.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

New Bone Chill event is loving adorable. The snowballs are harmless and adorable fun and really cute. It's been very fun beaning other survivors with them. Some highlights:

Me and the killer throwing snowballs back and forth at each other over a pallet.

Chasing my SWF buddy around a generator and doing chase-esque double-double-double back mindgames, trying to get a clear line of sight to peg them with a snowball.

Running in after the killer downed someone, throwing a snowball at them, the killer pausing and turning to throw a snowball at me in return before picking up the body.

Throwing a snowball at Wraith's cloaked form.

My friend beaning the killer while he's in a chase, so he pauses to casually throw one back before resuming chase with me.

Refilling snowballs mid-chase, the killer politely waiting, so I also stood and waited while *he* refilled his snowballs in chase, then we started again.

Killer having me dead to rights, standing there for a second, both of us looking at each other, before he threw a snowball in my face and slapped me down.

Spectating a game with 2 survivors left, the killer and a survivor both in snowmen, slowly and ominously lurching toward the other survivor, who is so new that he's fleeing in genuine terror.

:kimchi:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
If Otz really wants to send a message, he would leave the Fog whisperers program. They don't listen to him anyways so whats the point. His fanbase would grab their pitchforks and torches fairly quickly.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Had a game where I puttered around in a snowman, and if it was destroyed I’d furiously shake my head and down the offending survivor.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

New Bone Chill event is loving adorable. The snowballs are harmless and adorable fun and really cute. It's been very fun beaning other survivors with them. Some highlights:

Me and the killer throwing snowballs back and forth at each other over a pallet.

Chasing my SWF buddy around a generator and doing chase-esque double-double-double back mindgames, trying to get a clear line of sight to peg them with a snowball.

Running in after the killer downed someone, throwing a snowball at them, the killer pausing and turning to throw a snowball at me in return before picking up the body.

Throwing a snowball at Wraith's cloaked form.

My friend beaning the killer while he's in a chase, so he pauses to casually throw one back before resuming chase with me.

Refilling snowballs mid-chase, the killer politely waiting, so I also stood and waited while *he* refilled his snowballs in chase, then we started again.

Killer having me dead to rights, standing there for a second, both of us looking at each other, before he threw a snowball in my face and slapped me down.

Spectating a game with 2 survivors left, the killer and a survivor both in snowmen, slowly and ominously lurching toward the other survivor, who is so new that he's fleeing in genuine terror.

:kimchi:

I was busy tonight but I'm going to make some room for DbD because holy poo poo that sounds amazing. I love goofing around with the killer and vice versa when I'm the killer.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Had two games, first was as Ghostface where I did nothing except gently caress around with snowballs, everyone was happy. Had a second game as Xenomorph where I did nothing except gently caress around with snowballs, "Stay salty". DBD

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I was going to play Killer to get rid of a daily and get a holiday challenge started and saw at least 3 players 60 prestige or higher every match-up.

I bailed and shut off the machine, I'm just not even interested in the remote chance of sweat lords, I don't care enough anymore.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

CuddleCryptid posted:

If they're going to punish regression on gens I'd like it if they threw in the other side too, make it so that if a generator, any generator, isn't worked on within a certain time frame then some sort of penalty is applied.

It shouldn't be too hard to just hook the AFK crows to something like this, so that all survivors globally get crows based on how inactive the gens have been regardless of how much they've been moving. It could actually provide enough incentive to my lovely solo-queue teammates to just try to finish the last gen already instead of hiding for hatch just because one guy is dead.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And the same for exit gates too. Make them regress if they're not actively being opened to prevent survivors from 99-ing them and just loving off for however long they want.

I believe the devs already said at some point that they had tried this in private builds and decided that it "wasn't fun". It certainly doesn't feel great as killer when survivors abuse 99% gates to stall the game trading hooks for 5 minutes until they can pull off a 4-man escape without needing to ever deal with the collapse timer or perks like Blood Warden, but it's not exactly new for the devs to act like killer players don't exist.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

I believe the devs already said at some point that they had tried this in private builds and decided that it "wasn't fun". It certainly doesn't feel great as killer when survivors abuse 99% gates to stall the game trading hooks for 5 minutes until they can pull off a 4-man escape without needing to ever deal with the collapse timer or perks like Blood Warden, but it's not exactly new for the devs to act like killer players don't exist.

That being said, I'm wondering how viable it would be to give the killers the ability to damage exit gates similar to how they kick gens. They can already hit the gates to open them, so it shouldn't be too hard to code in the opposite. As far as I can tell it shouldn't be too crazy as survivors can just go to the other gate if a killer is trying to camp one of them, And it would at least let the killer put a stop to obvious 99'd gate shenanigans.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Had two games, first was as Ghostface where I did nothing except gently caress around with snowballs, everyone was happy. Had a second game as Xenomorph where I did nothing except gently caress around with snowballs, "Stay salty". DBD

My first killer game of the event the survivors cranked out gens and then tbagged me furiously because I dared to try to have some fun and get the event challenge done.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

first game against a kingshit billy who was clearly game to gently caress about
second game was against a xenomorph who hard tunneled off hook and ignored everyone who wasnt coming off hook

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vanguard Warden posted:

Yeah, I was gonna ask "wasn't fun for who", because like you say, survivors 99ing the gates and then loving around without a care in the world knowing they can open them in the blink of an eye is not that much fun either.

I think this kind of stuff also comes back to Otz's complaint: a lack of ambition. I'm not going to fall into the trap of saying the devs don't care, because they obviously do. You don't work in game development if you don't care, because you can get more money and a more stable job in a traditional industry with your skills, and aside from farmed out cash ins I've never met game developers who didn't care about even bad games. But I think there's a lack of ambition as a whole at BHVR. They are content with letting the game be in frankly a pretty loving bad state, because fixing it would take time and effort, which wouldn't immediately translate into dollars in the books the same way a new killer and survivor will.

And I get it. Everyone who works in software or game development gets it, because almost everyone has worked on a product they knew was in a bad state, but couldn't get the time to fix because the people above them were just focused on treading water or trying to make numbers go up NOW instead of a year down the road. And sadly those stories usually don't end well.

And honestly? When Otz, one of your biggest cheerleaders and positive voices in the community / free advertisements decides that he's gonna stop caring because you've just killed a part of his soul over the years with your poo poo, that should make warning klaxons blare throughout the studio.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah they are so laser-focused on new content there really is scant time to focus on the game being functional.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah they are so laser-focused on new content there really is scant time to focus on the game being functional.

It's weird because they DO have time for the anti-camping thing, or addressing the "3 Gen Situation", or making bloodweb purchases faster, and none of that makes them money.

I refuse to believe that new mechanics are easier to program than just taking existing info and showing it to additional players (e.g. bridging the solo/SWF gap).

I know they (claim to) think the "crux" of the problem isn't info, but every time they say dumb poo poo like that (or "If you died, did you really play skillfully?") it sounds like they've already decided what they want to work on, and they're trying to justify it retroactively, hoping their player base doesn't notice the excuse doesn't make sense.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The bloodweb thing got removed from the road map :smith:

Yeah they have time to do SOME things, but not nearly as much as players want. AMAs are a PR thing: you’re not going to see a dev say “Well we want to do that but we have to focus on pumping out new killers, maps, and perks every 2-3 months to make our executives more money.” If they can’t commit to something like improving general perks, be it due to time constraints or because some suit wants to make sure paid dlc perks remain enticing, they’re instead going to feed you some BS on why it won’t be done.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I really hope that's because they realized it'll take 30 seconds to implement, and setting it 4-6 months from now was comical. Fingers crossed it's going to be surprise included in the next patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

It did not, the AMA used an old version of the roadmap.

https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/398686/upcoming-live-updates-roadmap