Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Handsome Ralph posted:

About 2/3s of the way through my CCNA course and I keep going from "wow this really is an inch deep and a mile wide, I've got this" to "oh my god, why does STP and HSRP make total sense to me one minute, and the next I'm a complete moron?"

On the plus side, have really only done like a third of the labs so far, but the CLI isn't really phasing me and I'm picking it up pretty well. Thank you childhood that was filled with playing games exclusively in DOS for that one, I think.

This is where I'm at and it's a relief to hear someone else say the same thing. I'm assuming you're also going through JeremyIT stuff? The labs really help/cement things for me since I learn by doing. But I totally feel you on how wildly different some topics are by depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm taking my CISSP next week and I go back and forth from "im doing pretty good on the practice exams" to "poo poo poo poo poo poo Im going to fail and waste $750."

The technical stuff I have a lock on, but these practice tests have the most bizarre choice where all the answers are right and you decide is the most right type of thing, and supposedly the CISSP leans into that even more. Seems like every technical question I get right and then its a straight coinflip on the management questions. If anyone has any tips, I'm open. I've been trying to just come up with best practices on those coin flip questions and I passed all the practice exams I took by someone Gwen Bettwy using it, but just barely.
-------

These are my rules:

Human safety comes first

Is the cost justified?

Security is tailored to the business. Prioritize things like Risk Assessment, Risk Management, Business Impact, Threat Modeling

If there are multiple right answers pick in this order: People, Process, Technology

Read every answer, and when you've picked one, think if it is the one your manager would pick

Break each answer into "like" concepts such as CIA, User/Network/System, etc

Find the most all encompassing answer

Avoid absolutes

Eliminate answers

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is where I'm at and it's a relief to hear someone else say the same thing. I'm assuming you're also going through JeremyIT stuff? The labs really help/cement things for me since I learn by doing. But I totally feel you on how wildly different some topics are by depth.

Nah, using Neil Anderson's Udemy course. I've slacked with labs, but I planned on going through them once I finish the main course (only about 30% left now). I managed to get my employer to pay for Boson's lab and exam sim, so I'm hopeful that helps a ton.

Still having those "this is so easy! No wait, I don't know loving poo poo!" Moments, but it's nice to hear I'm not alone :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Does anyone have any of the Red Hat Linux certifications? If so, thoughts on the difficulty and usefulness of the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) cert?

I have some base level knowledge of Linux systems, and am mainly eyeing those certs in hopes to reach more job openings in the Federal Govt space.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

Does anyone have any of the Red Hat Linux certifications? If so, thoughts on the difficulty and usefulness of the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) cert?

I have some base level knowledge of Linux systems, and am mainly eyeing those certs in hopes to reach more job openings in the Federal Govt space.

It’s been a while since I took mine but they’re pretty tough even if you have some experience. One of the most legit exams out there though, as you have to configure a system instead of anwsering some multiple choice questions. Can’t exam cram your way out of this one. You need to be able to do it, not just know it.

Make sure you know how to interrupt the boot process to reset the root password, because you’re not going to get any credentials. Make sure all changes are persistent because the results are graded after a reboot.

Get a course/book and know how to do 80-90% of all subjects by heart in a reasonably fast time. You have access to man, so no need to learn all flags for each command by heart but you will not have enough time to search everything.

If you (want to) use Linux on a daily basis it’ll surely be beneficial.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

It’s been a while since I took mine but they’re pretty tough even if you have some experience. One of the most legit exams out there though, as you have to configure a system instead of anwsering some multiple choice questions. Can’t exam cram your way out of this one. You need to be able to do it, not just know it.

Make sure you know how to interrupt the boot process to reset the root password, because you’re not going to get any credentials. Make sure all changes are persistent because the results are graded after a reboot.

Get a course/book and know how to do 80-90% of all subjects by heart in a reasonably fast time. You have access to man, so no need to learn all flags for each command by heart but you will not have enough time to search everything.

If you (want to) use Linux on a daily basis it’ll surely be beneficial.

Thanks for the info. I'm mainly looking to improve my linux knowledge to help with k8s and DBA work, thought a structured Red Hat cert would prove useful. I'll dig into it a bit more.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm mainly looking to improve my linux knowledge to help with k8s and DBA work, thought a structured Red Hat cert would prove useful. I'll dig into it a bit more.

RHCSA nowadays also contains some container management objectives but is mostly system administration.

Managing users, groups, filesystems, storage/partitioning, permissions, acls, package repos, software installation/upgrades and dealing with system services.

Some of this will help you with managing k8s/containers and possibly db’s if you manage the servers they’re on. If you want to learn k8s it’s better to just go straight to CKA or CKAD, depending on your goals.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nah, using Neil Anderson's Udemy course. I've slacked with labs, but I planned on going through them once I finish the main course (only about 30% left now). I managed to get my employer to pay for Boson's lab and exam sim, so I'm hopeful that helps a ton.

Still having those "this is so easy! No wait, I don't know loving poo poo!" Moments, but it's nice to hear I'm not alone :)

The labs help a lot for me. I'm looking to quit my place/industry, so my employer definitely won't be paying for Boson, but I've been wanting to pick it up afterward for more practice

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety
With little to none IT experience I was thinking about taking this bootcamp
https://www.lighthouselabs.ca/en/cyber-security
Would it be better to get A+, Network and then take a course like this?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bingemoose posted:

With little to none IT experience I was thinking about taking this bootcamp
https://www.lighthouselabs.ca/en/cyber-security
Would it be better to get A+, Network and then take a course like this?

Network+ should be plenty as a prerequisite. A+ won't be relevant and will be a huge time sink.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

skooma512 posted:

Network+ should be plenty as a prerequisite. A+ won't be relevant and will be a huge time sink.

Cool thanks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Theres a new Sec+ test now?

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
I'm prepping for SAA-C03 but the sheer amount of information and detail to remember has me spooked. Hoping to complete by the end of the year.

I've been using Cloud Guru as worked fairly well for the Cloud Practitioner exam, but comments on Reddit make me think that was a bad choice for SAA and there will be knowledge gaps.

I've got a detailed cheat sheet as I've been cribbing from the Cloud Guru course, and I've just bought the practice exams from Tutorial Dojo.

I'm considering either getting a secondary source of training, and/or getting my own AWS trial account.

Any advice from those who have taken the exam or been through a similar training path?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Holy loving poo poo, I'm trying to schedule a certification test and the nearest testing center is 30 miles away from me AND doesn't show a single opening until loving FEBURARY. The next closest one is 55 miles away. I have a slow period at work for the next few weeks and was hoping to bang through the remainder of my training and take the test while all the info is fresh in my mind but nope, not going to happen.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

eonwe posted:

I'm taking my CISSP next week and I go back and forth from "im doing pretty good on the practice exams" to "poo poo poo poo poo poo Im going to fail and waste $750."

Hope you passed! If you have to retake, just remember think big picture managerial and not technical in the weeds for most of the questions and you'll do fine.

Mighty Steed posted:

I'm prepping for SAA-C03 but the sheer amount of information and detail to remember has me spooked. Hoping to complete by the end of the year.

I've been using Cloud Guru as worked fairly well for the Cloud Practitioner exam, but comments on Reddit make me think that was a bad choice for SAA and there will be knowledge gaps.

I've got a detailed cheat sheet as I've been cribbing from the Cloud Guru course, and I've just bought the practice exams from Tutorial Dojo.

I'm considering either getting a secondary source of training, and/or getting my own AWS trial account.

Any advice from those who have taken the exam or been through a similar training path?

ACG is good for intro videos, and giving you the bare minimum to go on to pass. I like Adrian Cantrills videos more, but they are way longer and numerous and take more time to go through. The Tutorial Dojo guides have been the most helpful for me in the past, if for no other reason then because they have a bunch of linked whitepapers and docs. The Tutorial Dojo tests are harder then the real one. So if you're getting 70-80% on those you ought to be fine.

Also I passed my AWS Developer Associate exam! As a non-dev learning a ton of Lambda and DynamoDB poo poo was tough but rewarding!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It's not a huge thing, but I got my Network+ cert today. One more step in getting out of helldesk for good. Next up, PenTest+.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
PenTest+ was rough as hell. I took it through WGU and to this day I’m still not sure how I passed

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hope you passed! If you have to retake, just remember think big picture managerial and not technical in the weeds for most of the questions and you'll do fine.

I did pass! Just waiting on ISC2 to process my application now!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

eonwe posted:

I did pass! Just waiting on ISC2 to process my application now!

Congrats!

That cert has had the biggest benefit to my career in terms of getting past the HR gatekeepers. For day to day usage everything I learned was pretty pointless, but it'll help your career immensely.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Got my CySA+ today!! I’m up for an IRM position at work but there’s some competition so I hope it puts me over the top!

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Passed SAA-C03!

Way more Kubernetes questions than I was expecting but Tutorial Dojo and my enriched notes from Cloud Guru saw me through.

813 so a comfortable pass.

Third certification in 3 months, so now I rest.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Oh damnit, just discovered that CySA+ CSO-002 was retired YESTERDAY. Time to see if anyone has info on what changes the new test has before I schedule

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

Oh damnit, just discovered that CySA+ CSO-002 was retired YESTERDAY. Time to see if anyone has info on what changes the new test has before I schedule

My entire cert journey has been playing chicken with retirement dates. Sec+? Last day. Net+? 2 days before. A+ and CySA+ both with about a week to spare. (Yeah in that order I’m weird)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

navyjack posted:

My entire cert journey has been playing chicken with retirement dates. Sec+? Last day. Net+? 2 days before. A+ and CySA+ both with about a week to spare. (Yeah in that order I’m weird)

Don’t want to make a sport out of it but last year I took the AWS SA Pro on the last day.

Sure gives you that dopamine rush when you pass though.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think I also did A+ with a week to spare. Nothing like some extra motivation to study and pass. Also when I took the CCNA they had briefly taken the lab part out and were supposedly going to reinstate them at any time. No idea if they ever did

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Hotel Kpro posted:

I think I also did A+ with a week to spare. Nothing like some extra motivation to study and pass. Also when I took the CCNA they had briefly taken the lab part out and were supposedly going to reinstate them at any time. No idea if they ever did

I took the CCNA today (and passed), labs are back.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
grats, i didn't have to do labs or whatever for mine

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Thanks! They honestly were not bad, maybe took about 10 minutes each, the sim OS is horrible though compared to Boson's.

I used the following to study and review, for the days leading up to the exam I basically took a practice test every day and did a video review of any weakpoints:

Pluralsight - Ross Bagurdes (not bad if work will pay for it, I liked the ability to track progress and the guy is a not a bore to listen to)
Jeremy's IT Lab (just the videos)
Boson's Simulator Labs
Boson ExSim
Pearson Practice Exams
Official Cert Guide but not too much (I had previously read the ICND1 book front to back years ago but it was retired before I could pass it)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sixfools posted:

I took the CCNA today (and passed), labs are back.

Hey silly question, are you allowed to go back to questions to review your answers or no?

I saw someone elsewhere say that once you move on from a question, you can't return to it, which if true, gently caress.

I have my exam scheduled for next Friday and I feel like I'm gonna bomb, but I bought the safeguard option so :shrug:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hey silly question, are you allowed to go back to questions to review your answers or no?

I saw someone elsewhere say that once you move on from a question, you can't return to it, which if true, gently caress.

I have my exam scheduled for next Friday and I feel like I'm gonna bomb, but I bought the safeguard option so :shrug:

That was my experience when I took it last year. You get one shot at each question.

If it makes you feel better, I also felt like I was going to fail and when I submitted it for grading I was sure I was going to be coming back to take it again. Seems like I knew just enough to skate by with a passing grade. You'll do great!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Looks like I've got Project+ up next, how is that one compared to the other typical CompTIA certs?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think I studied for a week or two and just took it. So I'd say way easier

e: Might have been a bit longer, I just remember the material being very dry and not at all relevant to the nitty gritty IT stuff. It was all project management nonsense. The study material talked about the agile and waterfall approach a lot.

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 14, 2023

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Scheduled my CySA+ test for a week out. Feels like I am rushing it, but all the review material is stuff that I know from working doing vulnerability scanning for a few years at the startup I worked for.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Handsome Ralph posted:

As they said above, yeah it's just one shot for each question. You do get partial credit for "Choose two, three etc." type questions and the labs as well are also partial credit. Have you been taking practice tests at all?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have been meaning to take the CCNA for years (you can probably chart the years by the ancient posts of mine in this very thread), and I finally just signed up for a date and did it at a physical location/testing center.

I went in feeling like "Why did I do this? Good job wasting $300" and I didn't even fully complete 2 of the 3 labs because I couldn't remember the exact port channel commands for the first and the second lab I am pretty sure I forgot to do a write/copy-run-to-start at the end. The third lab was an easy as cake just putting IPs on the ports and pinging back and forth (see last note below on the gotcha for it).

When I hit finish test at the end, I still even had like 40 minutes left.

BUT, it finished with "CONGRATULATIONS YOU PASSED!" like what? I seriously thought I had only done like a 60%/D+ job on it. I had glanced at the screen and swore it just said "Congratulation, you FINISHED" until the lady handed me the print out saying "Status: passed."

Annoyingly enough, the fukken CertMetrics.com site takes a few days to display the results for me to confirm, even though they immediately sent me a "your score is available!" email. I really hope I am not correct on the "congratulations your finished" versus passed thing, but I would assume they would let you know right on the spot if you passed due to Cisco having their poo poo together with this testing stuff.

As for the CCNA test specifics, as of 12/2023:

- Going to a test center was way easier than doing it online from what I saw someone else do. They had to like be on webcam the entire time and also point the webcam around the room and then the remote side randomly disconnected them somehow halfway through and it was super stressful.

- They almost didn't even let me start due to needing two forms of picture ID and them not accepting my Costco card with my face on the back due to it "not having a signature" I just picked a blank spot on the card and signed it and they let me in.

- You CAN NOT go backwards and retake/redo answers. Same with the labs-- once you hit next you can NOT go back. This is very different than the Boson.com practice tests and poo poo.

- Really know subnetting. I used to work for an ISP that did a lot of IPv4 subnetting for customers so it all comes super easy for me and I didn't have to bust out any binary poo poo. But I had also spent a few hours taking subletting quizzes a few months ago (subnetting.com and poo poo) and got like 95% right without breaking a sweat. It definitely helped me breeze through about 15% of the test.

- The interface for the loving labs were a pain in the god drat rear end because the screen size was so small at this test site (like 1000x800 or some poo poo) that half of the CLI output and commands wrapped messily to a 2nd line. FOR EACH LINE. It was real hard mode for that poo poo.

- On the lab: make sure to do a NO SHUT on the interfaces they have you work on. I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why my labs were not working / pinging correctly until I realized those cheeky fucks had started the interfaces in a shutdown/disabled mode.

- There was easily 10% of the test on just their loving lovely WLC environment. gently caress I hate Cisco WLC. But thankfully I had to use it a tiny bit at my current job until we finally threw it all away and upgraded to the much more sane UniFi platform. I would have been mostly hosed had I not had that on the job forced experience with that lovely WLC GUI and poo poo. gently caress Cisco WLC.

That's all I can think of now. It's such a relief to finally have this done, especially since I lucked into a networking career for the last 10 years but never actually got around to doing even the base CCNA cert due to the "eh, why do I need that if I already have the job?" - but then constantly worrying about needing it for my next job.

Now... on to a bunch of Fortinet certs for my current job and maybe some day a CCNP on the horizon.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 15, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sixfools posted:

As they said above, yeah it's just one shot for each question. You do get partial credit for "Choose two, three etc." type questions and the labs as well are also partial credit. Have you been taking practice tests at all?

Yeah, I've been studying since August and taking the Boson exams since just after Thanksgiving. They are loving harrrrrrd and my results ain't great (highest thus far is about 60%), but it's all good. I review my answers and the explanations as to why I'm wrong. Also using that IT & Security quiz app to test myself whenever I'm watching TV or whatever. Saving the last practice test for next week so I can really cram.

I've been doing labs as well. I'm fortunate that work is quiet and my boss is pretty much encouraging me to study for this instead of just idling away. I'm going to do my best to pass in the first go, but if I don't, I get to try one more time without paying a dime.

Sixfools posted:

CCNA Stuff

Congrats! :toot:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

jeeves posted:

- You CAN NOT go backwards and retake/redo answers. Same with the labs-- once you hit next you can NOT go back. This is very different than the Boson.com practice tests and poo poo.

This is the case for (most) cert tests because you might get an answer in a later question for the one you're currently on.

I know Cisco and Fortinet both do it like this, but Microsoft does not (at least not for MCSA/MCSE tests)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CompTIA does let you go back and forth, which is great because as you said, sometimes you will see a question later on that gives the answer to a previous question.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, I've been studying since August and taking the Boson exams since just after Thanksgiving. They are loving harrrrrrd and my results ain't great (highest thus far is about 60%), but it's all good. I review my answers and the explanations as to why I'm wrong. Also using that IT & Security quiz app to test myself whenever I'm watching TV or whatever. Saving the last practice test for next week so I can really cram.

I've been doing labs as well. I'm fortunate that work is quiet and my boss is pretty much encouraging me to study for this instead of just idling away. I'm going to do my best to pass in the first go, but if I don't, I get to try one more time without paying a dime.

Congrats! :toot:

Ah It sounds like you got this. That's honestly the best way to use the Boson tests, take your time with them and understand why you got a question wrong, give things a day or two to let the information settle in and try again. The Official Cert Guide exams are also pretty decent if you need a break from Boson. Everything jeeves said is pretty accurate. The lab has a button to expand to a full window but then you can't see the instructions oof. I'm lucky that I already have a lot of hands on experience as a jr. net admin currently in the middle of deploying a bunch of C1000 switches and C9115ax APs.

One thing I am finding a bit annoying is the process to merge my cisco sso logins. My cert is currently tied to my personal email and I want to have it merged or moved to my corporate login (which Cisco prefers, if you leave a place they can update it for you). Account manager tells me that support has to do it, support tells me to contact cert support... sigh I was hoping this was just going to be one call or email. Why do I have two logins? After I was promoted to the job, I needed access to images to update some things and the account rep wasn't clear about the process until my senior and I looked into it more.

* another thing to remember is that for the exam topic categories, the first 3 sections of categories are worth more than half the exam weight at 20-25% each. The last 3 are worth 10-15%.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Congrats!

It's been a while since my CCNA but as I recall you don't find out the results when you finish, you have to go get the report from the proctor.