Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Lmao that they’re adding two new maps that are literally “one for people who hate seasons” and “one for people who hate terrain”.

In case anyone hadn't read this monday's Word of the Week:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-7.1616478/ posted:

It’s time for the last CO Word of the Week this year. Next week we’ll start our holidays and will be away for a few weeks. But before the holidays there’s still time for the last patch, which is planned to go out this week. We will of course have full patch notes for you when it releases, but in the meantime, I can give you a sneak peek at what’s included. On the performance side of things, the patch adds the level of detail models for characters and improves the geometry layout for all assets. This won’t be the last update to performance, it takes us one more step towards our goals.

As promised, we’ve also managed to include a bunch of gameplay fixes and improvements. The patch changes how money is calculated and shown in your city. We hear your feedback and hope these improvements make the budget more transparent and easier to determine what new services your city can afford. We’re grateful for all the feedback you have shared, and we’ll continue to keep an eye on things to understand how things feel after the patch. We’ve also improved how vehicles change lanes, fixed situations where the resource amount stored would end up as a negative value, and added the line color to ships and cargo trains so you can easily see which lines they belong to.

The patch also includes a little holiday gift in the form of two new maps that were the result of internal testing of the Map Editor. There are still a few things missing from the Map Editor for it to be fully functional, like proper preview images showing off your amazing new maps, but we’re making good progress. I can’t wait to see what kind of maps you create! In the meantime, here’s the brief I gave the designers for the new maps based on some feedback we’ve gotten:

Land of the Eternal Sun
As the name suggests this area basks in the glory of the eternal sun. With literally no rain and steady warm temperatures this is an ideal choice for those looking to build with minimal input from the seasons.

Flatland
Hills, slopes, mountains? No thanks, I'd rather stay leveled. No need for contour lines on this land!

To my great disappointment, the designers changed both the names and the descriptions of the maps to “better fit the existing style” of the game. So Sunshine Peninsula and Corral Riches are the names of the new maps when you start a new game. Let us know what you think about them!

And then, as promised, let’s go over what our plans for Cities: Skylines II in 2024 are:

Modding
Bringing the mod support to the game is a high priority. This includes the map editor, code modding support, and the asset editor. The asset editor is the part that is most behind the schedule, but we will continue to work on it in January. We’ll be releasing Development Diaries related to the modding, and run an early access program for modders to try the tools before their release. Check out the previous WoW to sign up if you haven’t already!

Consoles
The console versions of the game were delayed and we’re working hard to get the performance and the stability up to par so we can bring the game on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. The console versions will also have the modding tools (minus code modding) present on release so the players on console will also be able to create maps and add custom assets.

Expansion Pass
The DLC production is currently on hold and waiting for the higher priority work to be completed, but progress has already been made on the first Asset Pack, Content Creator Packs, and Radio Stations. CCPs are of course created by some of our favorite content creators in the community and the content for the radio is produced by Paradox.

Performance and bug fixing
While we’ve progressed quite a bit on the performance and bug fixing we’re still not satisfied and will continue to improve the quality of the game based on our internal findings and your bug reports and crash logs. To be honest, this is work that we’ll continue throughout the lifetime of the game, as I believe there’s always something we can improve upon, but the biggest remaining offenders should be sorted out during the spring.

Your suggestions/feedback
We'll be taking your suggestions and feedback on board regarding new content, features, and quality-of-life improvements that are not classified as bugs. Your feedback matters and we’ll be drawing inspiration from it for the lifetime of the project, just like we did for Cities: Skylines, so let’s keep the discussions going!

That is the current list of priorities we’ll have in 2024, though we will of course continue to keep an eye on your feedback and adjust our priorities as needed, especially when it comes to performance. We hope to bring you the features and missing platforms as soon as possible, and we’ll announce timelines as we get closer to each release so keep an eye on the CO Word of the Week in the new year for the latest news.

Next week there will be something to round up the year, but this little blog is taking a break until January 15th. I wish everyone lovely holidays and I look very much forward to getting back to work in the New Year!

Sincerely,
Mariina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sweet an Illinois map!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Lmao that they’re adding two new maps that are literally “one for people who hate seasons” and “one for people who hate terrain”.

So Kansas and Florida?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Reloading CS1, does anyone have a list or collection of current working mods that are compatible with each other?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Reloading CS1, does anyone have a list or collection of current working mods that are compatible with each other?

Do you need a list of the basic can't-live-without mods? MoveIt, TM:PE 11.8.0.0 STABLE (Traffic Manager: President Edition), Network Multitool 1.3.5, Node Controller Renewal 3.5, Find It! 2, Ploppable RICO Revisited 2.5.5, Realistic Population 2 2.2.3, Loading Screen Mod Revisited 1.1.9, BOB, the Tree and Prop Replacer 1.0.1, Harmony 2.2.2-0 (Mod Dependency)… they all play nice together, at least in my game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lol at the possibility they were asking for a comprehensive list of all compatible mods :v:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

No idea about a list, get this mod first: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2881031511 , and use it as a compatibility checker, and mod loader, and whatever else it does. It'll tell you if any mods you're subscribed to have conflicts.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I was listening to this podcast about strategy games, and saw they had a Cities: Skylines 2 episode: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/cities-skylines-2

Decent listen, it was released on October 28th, so closer to launch and before everything has shaken out with the patches and then delays on the mods workshop, but it's also neat looking back at the game now that I think most of us have deferred it until it comes out of early access.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

piratepilates posted:

now that I think most of us have deferred it until it comes out of early access.

I picked it up shortly after launch day and poked around once and got annoyed at how all the road tools and everything felt "off" after being used to CS1. I figured it's probably best to wait for bug patches and mods anyway before getting too invested.
And then I, uh, got distracted for a bit

Honestly have not kept up with anything to do with this game since launch, has there been any kind of community consensus on if it's gotten worth really diving into yet? I hear there's still no mod support?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Entropic posted:

Honestly have not kept up with anything to do with this game since launch, has there been any kind of community consensus on if it's gotten worth really diving into yet? I hear there's still no mod support?

No mods, editing tools are still being worked on, they say early next year, who knows what that'll end up being.

They patched a good amount of bugs around trash pickup, mail, GPU performance, some traffic stuff, maybe cargo ports are unbroken? I'm not sure, I haven't built them in my latest city since they used to gently caress up everything.

What isn't fixed yet is CPU performance -- my city has reached 120k people and running at 1x speed and 3x speed is indistinguishable. There's still a lot of annoying traffic pathfinding behaviour, it's hard to tell if systems are broken or just working but designed badly, and the worst part of all -- the UI is still terrible and its very hard to get a good "sense" of what's going on with your city.

Give it more months, see what they come up with. Maybe the first non-assets DLC will be an interesting picking up point? I'm still picking it up every once in a while, but I can't really sit down and play it like it is now for long stretches, not enough stuff there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No official modding, anyway. People have figured out how to get in there and mod stuff, and modders have early access to the tools. I assume the mods people are making now will explode your save once official modding is out so I haven't messed with it.

I don't expect to come back to it until the mod workshop is up.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 14, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I'd call it a wait-and-see, either deep sale or actually good patch. The economic sim is deeply broken and the transit/transport parts of the transit/transport-based painting is nowhere near up to the standards of C:S mods; it's hard to fail in a way the game recognizes and easy to find a fail state that the devs don't yet realize exist and is just "only birthrate growth but you keep growing and padding the surplus". If the econ sim ever works even on a V3 level or there's a mod comparable to TM, though, it'll be great.

Devs keep posting "but the CCPs are coming soon" and I just look at my city stalled at a steady, no-interaction-required growth of 500/minute because everything is set up right except rent is turbofucked and think that they'd better hurry up with a pre-Jiang CCP for me.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

Lol at the possibility they were asking for a comprehensive list of all compatible mods :v:

Yea, I was trying to find a mod collection on steam that was up to date.

You'd think some helpful player would upload their current working mod collection after each patch.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't expect to come back to it until the mod workshop is up.

Same basically. I've jumped in a few times just to mess around but without all the mods to really get things setup correctly and spend hours wasting away at detailing every little thing I don't have any interest to play.

I have had a fun time playing the game for all 30 hours I have.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Digital Jedi posted:

I have had a fun time playing the game for all 30 hours I have.

Oh yeah. I played a bunch and had a good time. I've just hit the point where I need mods to continue being interested.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I gave the game another try today because I finished other stuff I was playing and hit a “waiting for the next patch” rut on like 3 other games I wanted to play. (The holidays be damned.)

I only was willing because I loaded a previous save and it seems like cargo is at least slightly unfucked and I could watch my city slowly start to use mail and poo poo. Hydro dams actually work, trash is better. On top of that I loaded up City Planner Play’s map and it’s immediately just heads and tails better than any of the other maps. A good start!

The game still had horrible graphical flickering and crashed twice in like two hours.

It’s not there yet. :/

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I liked this game a lot more when I was spending most of my time building increasingly hosed up freeway interchanges instead of yelling at my cims for refusing to move in to medium density housing. It’s probably a good thing I’m not a real mayor because I would solve all of the city’s problems by demolishing half of a suburb to build an experimental almost-double diverging diamond-ish interchange or an italic trumpet, upzoning the rest, and sticking an elementary school in the middle of it all.

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

FYI, the Cargo fixes look like this for a medium (40k) city (from 2025-onward is after the patch):

It's bonkers how much train cargo was just completely busted before. Also, budgets are clearly broken because I can't subsidize taxes enough to not make money hand over fist.

I've still been enjoying the game so far, though, playing on a custom map from City Planner Plays. Mainly, his map has a non-stupid amount of resources, and being able to farm anywhere is pretty much a must for me.

My only major frustrations are around industry land-valuing itself out of its own zoning, elementary schools being way too physically large (or too few floors, compared to cities I've lived in IRL), and the re-tiling of zones happening from the most minor changes to paths or crosswalks. Losing a block of buildings from adding a crosswalk is always so frustrating.

My cities are essentially elementary school simulators, where you have one every two blocks completely packed with 1,500 students.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Speak of the devil, last patch of the year is dropping now.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-18f1-hotfix-steam-microsoft-store.1617005/ posted:

Hello everyone. It’s time for the last patch of the year, and as Mariina mentioned in CO Word of the Week, this one includes both performance improvements and gameplay fixes. We expect that you’ll see the biggest improvements when looking at areas with a lot of pedestrians - yes, they now have level of detail (LOD) models.

Thank you for all the great feedback and the bug reports. We appreciate you taking the time to share them with us, and as always, if you run into any new issues, they can be reported here.

Update 14:22 CET: We're experiencing some issues applying the patch, so it isn't live yet. We're working on getting it out asap!

Winter Treat - 2 New Maps
Sunshine Peninsula
Corral Riches

Performance
Added LODs for characters and selected assets
Optimized geometry layout for all assets
Decreased Virtual Texturing pressure with assets that don't use emissive maps
Disabled VSync for default settings
Disabled volumetric lighting calculations where it was mostly invisible

Gameplay
Improved lane-changing behavior for vehicles
Fixed: Traffic accidents that last forever (and improved resolution of the accidents)
Improved cargo air transport by:
Increasing airplane cargo capacity from 50t to 100t
Increasing airport cargo terminal capacity from 100t to 720t
Adding all resource types to Airplane Outside Connections
Not allowing cargo terminals to store garbage resource
Storage fixes:
Improved storage buildings to consider both current storage and future storage (to include cargo already on its way)
Fixed: Cargo terminals import garbage
Fixed: Companies can buy the input resource from commercial companies
Fixed: Export can happen when output resource amount is below 0
Fixed: Resource amount might become negative when transport vehicle loading a large amount of resource (negative amounts reset to 0 in existing saves)
Fixed: Airport can import goods from Road Outside Connection when there is no air cargo route
Economy fixes & improvements:
Replaced money buffering system with a new system that directly deducts the money (city’s income should be more predictable now)
Fixed: Income awarded twice
Fixed: Unknown profit during storage transfer
Fixed: Pedestrian navigation issues with train station’s subway upgrade (requires the building to be rebuilt to take effect)
Fixed: Pedestrian walking through the air between elevated/lowered/raised/tunnel networks and buildings
Fixed: Options search text can overlap with the delete symbol
Fixed: Sometimes pathfinding for resources does not include cargo loading locations
Fixed: Saving and rebooting the game gives extra XP based on the number of residential buildings in the city
Fixed: Four Seasons and Spiderwebbing achievements cannot be earned
Fixed: Pressing "M" while in photo mode removes the UI permanently for that session
Added missing localization for Photo Mode and Options menu

Graphics
Added line color to passenger ships, cargo ships, and cargo train engines
Improved quality of character model variations
Fixed: Visual glitches with metallic/smoothness maps on character clothes
Fixed: Light props on Grand Bridge float in the air after connecting a road
Improved lights on forest machinery
Improved propping for several buildings
Fixed: Spawn point for cargo trucks is not inside the warehouse as expected
Fixed: International Aiport roads are not inverted with left-hand traffic
Fixed: Crosswalk looks broken when pedestrian path bridge is connected to ground pedestrian path through a road

edit: and something I just saw on the reddit, the Word of the Week will resume on January 15th :psyduck:, well kudos to Finland for their holiday time.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 14, 2023

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
So, the patch size is on the bigger site...

At least on Game Pass it seems to be the whole game, again.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

lagidnam posted:

So, the patch size is on the bigger site...

At least on Game Pass it seems to be the whole game, again.

I've seen people say the size on Steam is only like 1.8GB or so, not sure what the hell they did here.

edit: my Steam initially said 6GB, but starting the download on the patch its only 1.82GB.

edit: but now the download is complete and it says "Patching 7.59gb of 53.34gb", so it's not clear if the Game Pass download is actually downloading 53gb, or downloading the same 1.82gb and reporting it as 53gb because its patching the whole install.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 14, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i wonder if this is how they are getting around however microsoft is being weird with their patches.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Gameplay
Improved lane-changing behavior for vehicles

Really hope this is an improvement. Even on straight 3 lane sections its just a continual stream of idiots cutting eachother off to pre-sort for an exit 5 minutes away

Edit:
Fixed: Cargo terminals import garbage

lol

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

all my teeth gone...

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I’m getting no noticeable performance improvements post patch and the elementary school is still enormous lol.

The new maps are kind of funny. The flat one is as advertised, hardly a contour anywhere. The other one is mostly flat with some big ugly plateaus sprinkled around.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I’m getting no noticeable performance improvements post patch and the elementary school is still enormous lol.

I just looked at a tram station that had 229 people waiting and even fully zoomed in, I stay at the 40fps I have everywhere else. Before it would go down to single digits, so the teeth are really gone...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shame about all those future gameplay features that were going to rely on the teeth.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grand Fromage posted:

Shame about all those future gameplay features that were going to rely on the teeth.

Tooth Fairy stations as an essential public service…

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Entropic posted:

Tooth Fairy stations as an essential public service…

they'll do this, and it will be a bullshit mechanic that's just a reskin of deathcare which is itself a bullshit reskin of garbage. and they'll charge $15 for it

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

they'll do this, and it will be a bullshit mechanic that's just a reskin of deathcare which is itself a bullshit reskin of garbage. and they'll charge $15 for it

Almost all systems in this game are just "place building, see satisfaction go up" anyway. They're reskins of each other.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Good patch notes. Time to hop back in.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

piratepilates posted:

I've seen people say the size on Steam is only like 1.8GB or so, not sure what the hell they did here.

edit: my Steam initially said 6GB, but starting the download on the patch its only 1.82GB.

edit: but now the download is complete and it says "Patching 7.59gb of 53.34gb", so it's not clear if the Game Pass download is actually downloading 53gb, or downloading the same 1.82gb and reporting it as 53gb because its patching the whole install.

Steam initially reports the uncompressed size of the patch when it tells you a patch is available. When you start downloading it tells you the size of the compressed files it's downloading. When it starts patching it tells you the total size of all the files the patch touches. Very intuitive

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Definitely a noticeable performance improvement both FPS and simulation-speed wise

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Need a new title now that the teeth have been pulled.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dunno-Lars posted:

How about "I paid £79 for THIS???"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dunno-Lars posted:

Genre Defining Extraction Simulator

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
I initially misread it as being a 53GB patch too, but only turned out to be a 1.8GB download.

You learn something new every day huh

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Cities Skylines 2: the teeth have been pulled.

Or,

Cities Skylines: Teething period over

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I dont know how much they fix AI Pathfinding for the traffic, but it just seems soooooooo much worse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Cities Skylines 2: the graphics will knock your teeth out