Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NotNut posted:

Do you know if it specifically allows you to use the TV as a second monitor, as opposed to just mirroring your screen?
I think you would need to use third party software to create a virtual monitor in Windows or an HDMI dummy plug and then cast from the second monitor

Alternatively if that's what you want you could look into getting a wireless HDMI transmitter receiver set but they're more expensive than getting a Chromecast

You could also get a Miracast receiver rather than a Chromecast if your main interest is screen mirroring but that requires your computer to support it and I'm not sure how well supported it is since it never really caught on

Also if you want to do games or something you should probably look into using moonlight to stream it to an android device rather than any of the other options. Chromecast is more for just mirroring your web browser and basic stuff like that

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bright Bart posted:

LOL! I just tested out to see if they actually were forwarding my messages to Uber Support now or were bluffing. It's worse. They're not even being forwarded.

I just get an automated reply saying that my data protection issue has been resolved and I should contact Uber Support from now on or look at the FAQ for any Privacy Policy questions. And that my message has not reached or been read by a member of the Data Protection Office.

In effect, Uber's privacy complaints department has blocked me lol.

Uber is going to beat you to the punch in claiming harassment

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Squibsy posted:

Certain apps on my iPhone (Etsy, eBay, Uber etc) have been showing me ads for stuff within the app using banner notifications. Each of these apps needs to have notifications enabled so that I can get alerts when I'm actually using the service, but these ads are incredibly obnoxious and definitely not necessary. Is it possible to prevent these?

In android the apps are required to categorize their notifications and you can toggle off individual categories.
Sadly this seems like one of the few anti-advertiser features apple is lagging behind on, and it's not a feature on IOS (unless it was added recently?)
Normally they're a lot better than noted ad company google

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In android the apps are required to categorize their notifications and you can toggle off individual categories.
Sadly this seems like one of the few anti-advertiser features apple is lagging behind on, and it's not a feature on IOS (unless it was added recently?)

:sigh:

Dammit. Thanks for the info

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You are correct. iOS doesn't have a way to filter notification on the client side. It sucks. Their response for devs is that you should implement a similar functionality on your backend, which is a bigger hassle that involves both app and backend people. On androids you can do it easily using a category field on the push payload.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My and my mate used to play in a band together (him guitar, me bass) and we'd go to like, local recording studios to record stuff.

We were thinking about playing together again. I've got a Korg Electribe drum machine, and wanted to mess about with some electronica stuff, which back in the day would have been garage band? I guess my question is, what would we need to get for me to be able to record us and mess about with it in some production / mastering tool on my laptop? Are there budget options for that sort of thing? I'm not 'money no object' but I just got a decent Christmas bonus that might cover some kit. It may well not.

Appreciate this is incredibly spurious, any and all tips welcome.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

!Klams posted:

My and my mate used to play in a band together (him guitar, me bass) and we'd go to like, local recording studios to record stuff.

We were thinking about playing together again. I've got a Korg Electribe drum machine, and wanted to mess about with some electronica stuff, which back in the day would have been garage band? I guess my question is, what would we need to get for me to be able to record us and mess about with it in some production / mastering tool on my laptop? Are there budget options for that sort of thing? I'm not 'money no object' but I just got a decent Christmas bonus that might cover some kit. It may well not.

what kind of laptop do you have?

in most cases, the simplest thing would be to get a basic audio interface, like a focusrite scarlett 2i2. you plug your instruments/mics into the interface, and then the interface connects to the computer via usb. then you can record in any number of software tools from free audio editors like Audacity to more complicated DAWs like Ableton, Logic, ProTools, Reaper, etc.. a basic interface that does what you need will probably run you about $100-150

i believe macbooks still come with Garageband but not sure, that should work too. Reaper is free for 60 days. Ableton has a similar trial period I believe. Watch some basic youtube tutorials to get a hang of how they work and see which style works best for you.

don't worry about mastering, that's the final stage of professionally recording an album and not at all something you need to worry about when you are just getting started recording. (and in most cases no matter how good you are at making music or even mixing etc you'll still want to pay someone else to do it for you, it's a mysterious art and by the time you get to that point you'll have heard your poo poo so many times you can no longer hear it properly anyway)

also if you have more detailed questions there's a subforum of NMD called Musicians Lounge with its own small/stupid questions thread and many megathreads full of info about specific instruments, electronic music production, etc. it's a slow and small but friendly community.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 14, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The floor for recording stuff is extremely low these days. You want a hardware interface and a decent computer, but the first isn't expensive, and you probably already have the computer. The thing that eats computer power is adding effects live, so if you just use the line out from your amps, you're not gonna need much.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Wondering how to tell my neighbours who are complaining that I play my jazz too loud that the reason I do it is because they're banging really loudly. The volume is just meant to cover that and doesn't even do it nearing the end. Yeah I could put in earphones but that's besides the point and isn't actually convenient at all.

My plan right now is to next time say 'Sorry, but there's some noise that's awkward to listen to that I keep hearing from within the building. Ten to twenty minutes at a time, maybe four or five times a day during the time I'm home. Until that's sorted I don't know if I can be any quieter.'

It doesn't directly accuse her, and is ambivalent on whether I recognize it's her having sex, but is clear enough that that's the source.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Earwicker posted:

what kind of laptop do you have?

in most cases, the simplest thing would be to get a basic audio interface, like a focusrite scarlett 2i2. you plug your instruments/mics into the interface, and then the interface connects to the computer via usb. then you can record in any number of software tools from free audio editors like Audacity to more complicated DAWs like Ableton, Logic, ProTools, Reaper, etc.. a basic interface that does what you need will probably run you about $100-150

i believe macbooks still come with Garageband but not sure, that should work too. Reaper is free for 60 days. Ableton has a similar trial period I believe. Watch some basic youtube tutorials to get a hang of how they work and see which style works best for you.

don't worry about mastering, that's the final stage of professionally recording an album and not at all something you need to worry about when you are just getting started recording. (and in most cases no matter how good you are at making music or even mixing etc you'll still want to pay someone else to do it for you, it's a mysterious art and by the time you get to that point you'll have heard your poo poo so many times you can no longer hear it properly anyway)

also if you have more detailed questions there's a subforum of NMD called Musicians Lounge with its own small/stupid questions thread and many megathreads full of info about specific instruments, electronic music production, etc. it's a slow and small but friendly community.

Oh sweet, this is awesome, thanks so much! I'll go check out the Musicians Lounge, seems like a much better place to start! Alright, wont worry about mastering, that's good, just wasn't really sure since it was all equally alien to me 25 odd years ago when we did this last, lol.

BonHair posted:

The floor for recording stuff is extremely low these days. You want a hardware interface and a decent computer, but the first isn't expensive, and you probably already have the computer. The thing that eats computer power is adding effects live, so if you just use the line out from your amps, you're not gonna need much.

Ok, yeah, cool. I've got a good gaming laptop that I figure should handle this sort of stuff pretty well.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

Wondering how to tell my neighbours who are complaining that I play my jazz too loud that the reason I do it is because they're banging really loudly. The volume is just meant to cover that and doesn't even do it nearing the end. Yeah I could put in earphones but that's besides the point and isn't actually convenient at all.

My plan right now is to next time say 'Sorry, but there's some noise that's awkward to listen to that I keep hearing from within the building. Ten to twenty minutes at a time, maybe four or five times a day during the time I'm home. Until that's sorted I don't know if I can be any quieter.'

It doesn't directly accuse her, and is ambivalent on whether I recognize it's her having sex, but is clear enough that that's the source.

i think they are just asking for more appropriate music. put on some deftones

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's ghosts. Both the moaning and the music. Can't be helped.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Do asians object to the use of the word oriental?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

dokmo posted:

Do asians object to the use of the word oriental?

A lot of them do, but there will be regional and individual differences.

The ones who care about what you call them usually will object

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I can't speak for Asians but I wouldn't use the term because it's imprecise, has negative connotations, and doesn't convey anything any better than Asian or an even more specific term.

A less obvious question might be if Iranians are offended at being called 'Persian' and in my experience no but they don't like it for similar reasons to how the Dutch do not all like to be told they're 'from Holland'.

One last thing, in some languages the residents of India and people of Indian ethnicity are called 'Hindus'. That'd be kind of like the term for the Chinese being 'Daoists'. Except here it comes from the Indus not the religion.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 16, 2023

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Oreintal is a word you should never use if you have to ask whether or not it's objectionable, and certainly never with regard to people. you can call white people occidental if you want though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

Oreintal is a word you should never use if you have to ask whether or not it's objectionable

I wasn't thinking of using it, there's no need for it in 2023, even a racist would use a more pungent slur. I was thinking more of traditional uses of the word, since it just meant "eastern" for a long time. Like colleges of oriental studies. Have the names of these institutions been objected to?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fun fact the word 'arabesque' refers to a specific decorative style in certain mediums not to Arab-like things in general so racists like always are getting it wrong.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What institutions are these? I've seen Asian, more specific terms like South-East Asian or just the nationality in question. Didn't "oriental" cover like everything East of Greece or something?

Bright Bart posted:

Fun fact the word 'arabesque' refers to a specific decorative style in certain mediums not to Arab-like things in general so racists like always are getting it wrong.

lmao, I didn't even know the term had been misappropriated. Those darn illustrated flourishes! :argh:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 15, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fruits of the sea posted:

What institutions are these? I've seen Asian, more specific terms like South-East Asian or just the nationality in question.

I have zero doubts there's a Department of Oriental Studies.

Universities and their ilk, as much as they're accused of forcing kids to become woke radical, are on balance reactionary. Lots of units of Georgian studies in the Department of Russian Studies. Still some classes on 'primitive cultures'. A college of surgery in Scotland still keeps the bones of a gigantic man who begged throughout his life not to be put on display when he died, with the body having been outright stolen after he passed. For science!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
People probably see ‘orientalism’ in academia and get the wrong idea about its very specific usage as per Said

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

dokmo posted:

I wasn't thinking of using it, there's no need for it in 2023, even a racist would use a more pungent slur. I was thinking more of traditional uses of the word, since it just meant "eastern" for a long time. Like colleges of oriental studies. Have the names of these institutions been objected to?

Grassy Knowles posted:

People probably see ‘orientalism’ in academia and get the wrong idea about its very specific usage as per Said

Yeah the word still sees a specific use in academia and historical discussions but in general everyday language it's pretty far gone from any useful function. Sometimes you'll see people object to it in certain contexts but like the specifics of each situation require a different discussion each time. Sometimes it comes down to dated language being grandfathered through in ways it should or shouldn't, sometimes it comes down to white people getting mad about language on behalf of people who don't care.

Bright Bart posted:

Universities and their ilk, as much as they're accused of forcing kids to become woke radical, are on balance reactionary. Lots of units of Georgian studies in the Department of Russian Studies. Still some classes on 'primitive cultures'. A college of surgery in Scotland still keeps the bones of a gigantic man who begged throughout his life not to be put on display when he died, with the body having been outright stolen after he passed. For science!

Yeah there's still a lot of reactionary and anti-human poo poo in academia as well, it's a pretty widely variable portion of humanity and a great deal of them are more focused on maintaining their power and social structures than doing good, being ethical, or even being scientifically correct sometimes. I mean they still give out credentials for liberal economics, Nate Silver's got one lmao

Nevil Maskelyne fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 15, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Bright Bart posted:

A less obvious question might be if Iranians are offended at being called 'Persian' and in my experience no but they don't like it

fwiw, i’ve got multiple friends and they all have always preferred persian. maybe this is a regional thing? they’re almost all from the dc area.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

fwiw, i’ve got multiple friends and they all have always preferred persian. maybe this is a regional thing? they’re almost all from the dc area.

That kind of thing is often regional, there are people in Canada who prefer "gypsy" but that word is hugely unacceptable basically everywhere in the US and Europe as far as I'm aware. Diaspora is complicated.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bright Bart posted:

Tell them the truth, that one of your neighbors is having loud sex and you are playing your music loudly so you don't have to hear that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

A less obvious question might be if Iranians are offended at being called 'Persian' and in my experience no but they don't like it for similar reasons to how the Dutch do not all like to be told they're 'from Holland'.

i know several people from Iran who explicitly refer to themselves as Persian and never refer to themselves as Iranian, from what i understand this is more of a direct political statement than confusion over a regional vs national term like Holland vs the Netherlands.

also as far as i know, only the name of the country itself was renamed, "Persian" is still the correct name for the language and ethnicity.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 15, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i know several people from Iran who explicitly refer to themselves as Persian and never refer to themselves as Iranian, from what i understand this is more of a direct political statement than confusion over a regional vs national term like Holland vs the Netherlands.

also as far as i know, only the name of the country itself was renamed, "Persian" is still the correct name for the language and ethnicity.

Farsi, which is the language, is clearly related to the word Persian, so yeah. Iran is basically a rebranding of the country following the Islamic revolution (I don't remember why though), so it makes sense that at least some of the diaspora prefers the pre-Islamic-republic name, since they're a diaspora because of the revolution.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Bright Bart posted:

University of London School of Oriental and African Studies is a world leading name in non western regional studies.
And the name is still that

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BonHair posted:

Farsi, which is the language, is clearly related to the word Persian, so yeah. Iran is basically a rebranding of the country following the Islamic revolution (I don't remember why though), so it makes sense that at least some of the diaspora prefers the pre-Islamic-republic name, since they're a diaspora because of the revolution.

A professor once told me to just call the language Persian because calling it Farsi is like calling French “français” in otherwise English speech

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What people also need to remember is that when you read books (or listen to podcasts or watch mobies) about history, that empire and that people were not Muslims because there was no Islam yet. But that's not the cool part. The cool part is that they were a Zoroastrian people for the most part.

And the coolest part is that there are still Zoroastrians, both practicing and those who consider their religious heritage their most important identity even if they're non-practicing or even agnostic or atheist or believers in another faith.

The writer of A Fine Balance is a Zoroastrian. Although I'm not sure which of the above definitions.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

Farsi, which is the language, is clearly related to the word Persian, so yeah. Iran is basically a rebranding of the country following the Islamic revolution (I don't remember why though),

Iran was renamed in 1935. The Islamic Revolution was in 1979.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here, have an entire Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Iran

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was renamed to iran in 1998 after the release of the imac obviously

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I don't know what they used on me when I had my wisdom teeth taken out but I didn't remember anything at all from the time I was conscious but on whatever the stuff was. I think it's basically impossible to have any anxiety at all when you're on a big enough dose of that kind of drug.

That’s what mine was like and they said they gave me Valium right before I basically lost consciousness as far as post-op me is concerned.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

When it comes to mortality from cancer, what is the actual mechanism by which it kills you? Does it just drain nutrients from the rest of your body, or does it grow in a bad spot and impede the function of an organ, or what?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How the hell do you actually play Pokémon, and is it as ridiculously complicated as it appears. I get the appeal of collecting the cards but now he’s trying to play with me and I’m just utterly bamboozled. It can’t be this convoluted, surely. What the hell is going on.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

two fish posted:

When it comes to mortality from cancer, what is the actual mechanism by which it kills you? Does it just drain nutrients from the rest of your body, or does it grow in a bad spot and impede the function of an organ, or what?

it depends on the type of cancer and where specifically the tumors are located, but basically the latter, it destroys your organs, often several at the same time after it spreads

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bright Bart posted:

I can't speak for Asians but I wouldn't use the term because it's imprecise, has negative connotations, and doesn't convey anything any better than Asian or an even more specific term.

One last thing, in some languages the residents of India and people of Indian ethnicity are called 'Hindus'. That'd be kind of like the term for the Chinese being 'Doaists'. Except here it comes from the Indus not the religion.

Persians are just the majority ethnic group in Iran. There are other groups like Kurds and Azerbaijanis who are Iranian but not Persian.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Bucky Fullminster posted:

How the hell do you actually play Pokémon, and is it as ridiculously complicated as it appears. I get the appeal of collecting the cards but now he’s trying to play with me and I’m just utterly bamboozled. It can’t be this convoluted, surely. What the hell is going on.

Easiest way for me and my wife to learn was to get this and then we all played it until we felt comfortable. Pokemon Battle Academy 2 Board Game https://a.co/d/eG5cBxp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

two fish posted:

It starts destroying whatever organ/organs it is on. As those stop working things start going wrong with your body.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Buy Battle Academy. It comes with a nice board, tokens, and three premade decks that don’t have too much weird extra stuff going on. Learn with those and it’ll make sense. The game is overall really simple once you get the hang of it.