Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're a githyanki then going directly to the patrol is actually a pretty smart move on Honor Mode. Very easy DC if you choose to speak for Lae'zel and then you get about half a bar at Level 3 just for saying "nope haven't seen the artifact, guess I'll just keep looking." If you fail for any reason though, certain death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Started honor mode, playing Astarion, picked up Gale and Laez and Shart and figured I’d make for the Grove and get what gear and potions and exp I could there before planning my next move.

Nearly wiped to the pissant goblins. Both Laez and Ast were downed, a sleep spell from Gale gave me enough of a break from their archers to get everyone back up and then NPCs chucked a few health potions my way (after I probably no longer needed them tbh).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Nothing wrong here, Shadowheart says while looking at me like this.

Women, amirite fellas

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I put the game on an HDD thinking “oh it’s turn based who cares if it’s a little slow”.

So far this has been mostly correct, although I wish I had just put it on an SSD. Now I’m too lazy to move it. I get pop in and a big audio lag when the main menu loads, then it takes about 15 seconds to fetch everything when I load my save. Transitioning zones is usually pretty quick but do get a bit of pop in. I get the delayed attack animation bug every so often but I think that’s a general bug and not an HDD one.

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
I play on an HDD because I am scared of technology and don't know how to move my OS/format drives/install an SSD. I am the worst PC gamer. :smith:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, how's it like playing the Origin characters, anyone who has more content than the others (Durge included)? I've heard Gale gets his cat as a camp follower pretty early, but I'd like to hear how it is for everyone else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I played as a Karlach origin and she gets a few extra scenes in each act talking about her heart and Gortash. The initial refugee camp scene where she runs into Wyll is very different. When Astarion attempts to bite her, you can basically laugh at him and say “go ahead, try it.” She can read the runes on Astarion’s back and gives Wyll horn maintenance advice, it’s pretty cute. Otherwise it’s too different from a normal run. You still have the option to ally with Gortash, which is hilarious to me.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

cheat at solitaire posted:

I play on an HDD because I am scared of technology and don't know how to move my OS/format drives/install an SSD. I am the worst PC gamer. :smith:

It seems daunting, but it's usually easier than any battle in this game. Head over to Haus of tech support and pop out a thread if you want help for real

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There are a couple programs you can use free trials of to clone your whole setup to a new SSD drive, so there's no risk of losing anything and you can keep your old drive as a backup! I did it last year and it was way easier than I thought it would be.

In act 3, just double checking but there's no actual reason to return Rakath's 10k gold once you've defeated Minsc and that zhent trader, right? I looked up the rewards and it looks like you can get 5k back, plus like 2500 more, and then an armor worth about 2k. But my wife apparently already stole the armor so we just decided to keep it and go shopping. Finally could afford that Armor of Persistence from Dammon!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ZearothK posted:

So, how's it like playing the Origin characters, anyone who has more content than the others (Durge included)? I've heard Gale gets his cat as a camp follower pretty early, but I'd like to hear how it is for everyone else.

I'm doing a wyll honor mode run atm and honestly he does feel more suited to being the MC than as a companion. He always stuck out as a sore thumb to me for being a charisma class but being way too accommodating towards the PC. So him leading around the gaggle of rizzless adult children feels really natural. Also you don't have to suffer through his undercooked dialogue and there are extra mizora scenes.
Edit: Also romancing Karlach, as is proper.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 14, 2023

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

ZearothK posted:

I've been doing a Co-op Astarion origin run since launch, this is my only run because I am a masochist and I felt like if a DOS2 style ending was coming up it would be kind of cheaty to know exactly which feats to take to crush your team which admittedly is what these jackasses tried.
We just finished the Temple of Bhaal Forced our party to go rescue Yenna ASAP since Durge can just open the door. Shocking lack of reactivity to the party standing around Bhaals avatar asking durge to kill the world.

Act1
There is some weirdness which may be a result of co-op or launch day bugs. I never got the bite scene and had to give myself the ability with cheat engine. This could be because the scene leads to an Astarion kill condition I think so idk. You do get a unique dream sequence in one of the early long rests. Also there is a bite scene during a romance event that I never saw so I wonder if you have to be dating Astarion or have the first bite scene to trigger. This comes up in Act 3.

Act 2
Never got the scene about being covered in scars, always clothed, never rested until we got to Last Light since the land is cursed. Raphael just spills that he knows about the scars on my back and to meet him later. After dealing with the weird cat situation Raphael just spills to the whole camp that I apparently have a profane ritual carved into my back and I actually lose control of the dialogue to another party member Paladins :argh: Shadowheart gets her religion of secrets, Durge gets to be secret necrophile, Rapheal just spills everything.

Act 3
If you find the gur camp the narrarator will tell you that you did indeed raid their camp. Alma will ask you to rescue their children you can ask what if the kids are already dead to which she will then say blood will suffice.

Unique Fail condition
There is an attack on your camp at night if you don't do Astarions quest soon enough and the event will queue. If Astarion is dropped to 1 you will be teleported to the Kennel in Cazadors Manor unable to move so you'll need rescue

Unique Risky Dialogue
During the confrontation with Cazador you will be forced to make a Con Check (not a save for some reason) to resist his influence. If your allies are in dialogue range the DC is 18, you can beat this with Bardic + Guidance + Con Mod and some inspiration rerolls if you really want to go for it. But here's the weird one if you approach completely solo (summons don't count so you could bring an elemental) the dialogue to resist changes and you are warned its game over if Cazador captures you. The DC for some reason is now 10.

Fail condition
If Astarion goes down during the fight he will be bound like the other spawn and Cazador has three turns to complete the ritual. After he ascends you briefly see his stats change but you get a game over before you can examine it

Devilsh details To do the ritual you need a second set of eyes so someone needs to be in dialogue range when you approach Cazadors casket I'm sure Minthara would approve but everyone else even crown hungry Gale will probably say not to do it. He'll approve later. Shadow Weave Money Gang. Lae'zel didn't beak up with me either so that was nice. We wanted to shared the sunrise its the only way! Your dialogue options with companions now change to being more Pompous, Arrogant, to downright condescending like asking Karlaach to kneel to you. But you are still in control of how to steer the convos so you don't have to be that much of a dick.

After Astarions Quest
So I can see in script extender that there is a camp event for Astarion after the black mass but I don't know if it doesn't trigger because
1. Lae'zel romance and enthralling her when she's supposed to either go Vlaakith or Revolution doesn't work.
2. Because it has to be an event when you are romancing Astarion.
3. Because the original bite events never triggered.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
My honor mode gith vengeance paladin has been a ton of fun. I flew through the game after hitting level 5 on my previous playthroughs, but this is a lot rougher. I almost got wiped on the nautiloid because of two terribly timed critical misses and a horrific critical hit on the mindflayer the first round so I had to deal with the damned cambion.

God I love this difficulty setting. About to take on the goblin camp and sitting at level 3. Pretty nervous!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gith Paladin is a fun combo because you can justify getting involved with istik affairs through your own self-righteousness. There is an entire unique dialogue branch between Kagha and Arabella in the Grove if you choose to render your judgment, pretty amazing!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
So before I do the goblin camp, if I go to the monastery first that DOES advance the grove plot line correct? So they’ll succeed and I’ll run into Minthara at Moonrise still? I haven’t gotten her in my party yet in any playthroughs, so trying to figure out my next move. RP-wise it would be going to the crèche, but I don’t wanna miss her.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Robobot posted:

So before I do the goblin camp, if I go to the monastery first that DOES advance the grove plot line correct? So they’ll succeed and I’ll run into Minthara at Moonrise still? I haven’t gotten her in my party yet in any playthroughs, so trying to figure out my next move. RP-wise it would be going to the crèche, but I don’t wanna miss her.

yes, going to the Mountain Pass / monastery advances the goblin-druid plot stuff if you have not already resolved it

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Related to this:
I'm still trying to push my solo necro Honor run.
1 life cleric/3 necromancer.

The 1 level of life cleric gives you Thaumaturgy, which is a ridiculously powerful spell for soloing the early game content. I got like 1/4 of an XP bar from the Voss encounter because I could easily pass those DC15 intimidation checks with Thaumaturgy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Don't make the mistake of using Friends early on however, especially against Kagha!!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A Moose posted:

There are a couple programs you can use free trials of to clone your whole setup to a new SSD drive, so there's no risk of losing anything and you can keep your old drive as a backup! I did it last year and it was way easier than I thought it would be.

In act 3, just double checking but there's no actual reason to return Rakath's 10k gold once you've defeated Minsc and that zhent trader, right? I looked up the rewards and it looks like you can get 5k back, plus like 2500 more, and then an armor worth about 2k. But my wife apparently already stole the armor so we just decided to keep it and go shopping. Finally could afford that Armor of Persistence from Dammon!

Mechanically, there is no reason, but narratively that money was the hard-earned savings of the people of Baldur's Gate, and apparently Faerun doesn't have an FDIC so you'll be impoverishing the population at their lowest moment you monster I gave it back because I am playing a Paladin and I have brain problems that make me feel bad if I treat NPCs unfairly. Sidenote: If you give it all back, even Rakath is surprised that you didn't keep at least some of it, and calls you a boring bastard before rewarding you

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Also, 10000gp is like pocket change at that point anyway so unless you're playing an evil character, why not?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Gosh darn it, I completely screwed up my honor playthrough. Was being careful and cautious and managed to hit level 4 by killing priestess gut with silence, dipping into underdark for the radiant armor, and coming back up.

I haven't done either gnoll fight, waukeens rest, hag, spiders, harpies, wood woad/mephits, or gith. Instead I go fight minthara, and she lands a hold person and absolutely obliterated my karlach PC. And then...I kill her instead of remembering to go with passive damage. Arghhhh

So to stay overpowered, I feel like there's 5 great options and I have to not do one.
Lae'zel is going to stay heavy armor 2hand weapon with trip attacks
Shadowheart is going to be light (I want warding flare)/radiant gear.
My karlach is a berserker barb which is..ok. I've seen people talk about on command prone, I assume from enraged throw + STR potions.
And astarion right now is either going to go open hand monk or bard. I have the +1 hand crossbow already from dammon.
I feel like monk is the better option, is that the right move? Frankly I'm wondering if I should just respect shadowheart to bard in act 3.

I still need to set up gale to make elixirs and cast long strider on people. Just been abusing Ethel potions for now.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

OTOH misclicks in BG3 can lead to some funny outcomes, not unlike poor decisions in actual tabletop games

I'm doing a co-op with three buds and it's very fun. My recommendation for anyone doing co-op especially with 3 or 4 players is to abandon trying to roleplay or actually pay attention to dialogue it's really hard. Instead we're just curbstomping through with OP builds (battlemaster fighter, tempest cleric, warlock, open hand monk) on tactician and it's a lot of fun, no reloads allowed.

The funniest incident was in Grymforge where there's a moving platform and lever. I tell them on voice "did you guys know you can shoot levers to toggle them?" as I shoot the lever. They did not know this, and their characters were mid-jump when I shot the lever, so the platform moves underneath them and they fall to their deaths. Voice chat was silent for about 30s as everyone is having a good laugh.

trevorreznik posted:

Gosh darn it, I completely screwed up my honor playthrough. Was being careful and cautious and managed to hit level 4 by killing priestess gut with silence, dipping into underdark for the radiant armor, and coming back up.

I haven't done either gnoll fight, waukeens rest, hag, spiders, harpies, wood woad/mephits, or gith. Instead I go fight minthara, and she lands a hold person and absolutely obliterated my karlach PC. And then...I kill her instead of remembering to go with passive damage. Arghhhh

So to stay overpowered, I feel like there's 5 great options and I have to not do one.
My karlach is a berserker barb which is..ok. I've seen people talk about on command prone, I assume from enraged throw + STR potions.
And astarion right now is either going to go open hand monk or bard. I have the +1 hand crossbow already from dammon.
I feel like monk is the better option, is that the right move? Frankly I'm wondering if I should just respect shadowheart to bard in act 3.

I still need to set up gale to make elixirs and cast long strider on people. Just been abusing Ethel potions for now.

monk is better damage and bard is way more utility, since you don't have a charisma character you might want Astarion bard to do face and skillbot stuff. Open hand monk really takes off at levels 5 (extra attack) and 6 (1d4+Wis bonus damage)

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 14, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Yeah. Im also wondering about dropping berserker entirely, but I need to figure out if it's worth it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

trevorreznik posted:

I’d make Lae’zel the monk and astarion the bard. If you want a fighter, a dex based dual wielder is going to be better than a 2 handed fighter for most of the game. 4 thief rogue 8 champion fighter.

Although if I was playing honour mode I’d be tempted not to have a monk right away - they get crazy powerful but they start out behind the curve. Probably better to respec someone once you hit act 2 or so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For throwbarb you want 5 points in Berserker, 3 points in Thief for the extra bonus action, and then 4 flex points of which at least 2 will probably go to Fighter for Action Surge. Personally I like 4 in Eldritch Knight because having Bonded Weapon at Level 9 is perfect for that awkward stage where Returning Pike damage starts to fall off, but you don't yet have access to the legendary trident in Act 3. The setup is so good because it comes online very early with only a few Act 1 items that will likely last you for most of the game. You want Ring of Flinging from the Emerald Grove vendor, Returning Pike from the Goblin Camp vendor, and Bracers of Kushigiro as the quest reward for saving the merchant's husband in the Underdark. With just those 3 items and Tavern Brawler, you're ready to steamroll pretty much anything as early as Level 4. Frenzied Throw has a high chance of knocking enemies prone, which has a tendency of hitting bosses out of their nastier legendary actions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finished the Underdark on my Honour Run and about to go do the Creche. I gotta say, I'm enjoying Bladepact Warlock a lot. I am probably not going to multiclass because they nerfed being able to get a third attack on it and I use my spells a fair amount so I dunno that I want to go smite bot.

Getting entirely too addicted to Shadowheart as Life Cleric as well. Of all the Cleric specs I've tried it might honestly be my favorite. Light and Tempest get flashier stuff and the Life Cleric domain spell list is only ok but the channel divinity heal is so god damned good, especially when you have all the good healer gear stacked on her. And she still gets Spirit Guardians which is the best Cleric spell anyways.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

exquisite tea posted:

For throwbarb you want 5 points in Berserker, 3 points in Thief for the extra bonus action, and then 4 flex points of which at least 2 will probably go to Fighter for Action Surge. Personally I like 4 in Eldritch Knight because having Bonded Weapon at Level 9 is perfect for that awkward stage where Returning Pike damage starts to fall off, but you don't yet have access to the legendary trident in Act 3. The setup is so good because it comes online very early with only a few Act 1 items that will likely last you for most of the game. You want Ring of Flinging from the Emerald Grove vendor, Returning Pike from the Goblin Camp vendor, and Bracers of Kushigiro as the quest reward for saving the merchant's husband in the Underdark. With just those 3 items and Tavern Brawler, you're ready to steamroll pretty much anything as early as Level 4. Frenzied Throw has a high chance of knocking enemies prone, which has a tendency of hitting bosses out of their nastier legendary actions.

Gotcha. I've done throwing almost every run, but I wasn't sure if the tavern brawler nerf had done it in or not.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Life domain is really one of the only healers worth doing in the game though I suppose paladins (oath of the ancients) are probably ok at it as well.
I'm also rocking SH as life domain on honor mode. I might do a gish build with lae'zel this rub (6 ek, 6 abjuration wizard) assuming that I'm able to talk both SH and Lae'zel down.
I'm also gonna get into the device at the creche since it's not like origin Wyll really needs int that much anyways.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 14, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

trevorreznik posted:

You can keep Gale ready to play and use a hireling for this instead. I have been hiring Sir Fuzzalump as soon as possible, respeccing him so he’s proficient in Medicine and his primary stat is Wisdom, setting him to Transmutation, then getting his Wisdom to 20 ASAP for all the double potions I can get.

He never leaves camp so everything but Wisdom and Intelligence are dump stats.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

I guess I never had a big issue with people not freaking out over Alfira's death. Everyone in the party has major issues to deal with so it's not like most of them can sit on their high horse about that. Shadowheart follows a god who wants to cover the world in endless darkness. Astarion is a vampire. Gale saw a guy who almost ended the world and thought yeah let me grab a piece of his magic ooops now I'm a walking tactical nuke. Lae'zel is from a civilization that will kill anyone for any reason if they get in their way so what does she care? Karlach has been fighting in the Blood War for years so she's probably seen crazier poo poo. Wyll is pretty good I guess but he's also promised his soul to a devil so he can only high horse it so much as well.

I dunno like who should have a major issue with you killing Alfira? I can see certain characters voicing displeasure but they've all got huge issues of their own that are pretty much as bad or worse as murdering some poor lady. And they're all well aware despite your murderous impulses of the awful situation you're in and that they kinda need you.

early durge chat My problem with it isn't that they just sort of shrug and don't care about you being a murderer, it's that they just sort of shrug and don't seem to consider your likelihood of murdering them. They should be very concerned about that! There is direct, incontrovertible evidence later that they should be very concerned about that! That said, all it would really need to fix it would be an added line or two around what you said at the end there: that they recognize you're very dangerous but that they're currently more scared of mindflayering and they need you for that.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Geekboy posted:

You can keep Gale ready to play and use a hireling for this instead. I have been hiring Sir Fuzzalump as soon as possible, respeccing him so he’s proficient in Medicine and his primary stat is Wisdom, setting him to Transmutation, then getting his Wisdom to 20 ASAP for all the double potions I can get.

He never leaves camp so everything but Wisdom and Intelligence are dump stats.

Use the halfling for transmutation so that the 1's are rerolled for the medicine checks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OzFactor posted:

early durge chat My problem with it isn't that they just sort of shrug and don't care about you being a murderer, it's that they just sort of shrug and don't seem to consider your likelihood of murdering them. They should be very concerned about that! There is direct, incontrovertible evidence later that they should be very concerned about that! That said, all it would really need to fix it would be an added line or two around what you said at the end there: that they recognize you're very dangerous but that they're currently more scared of mindflayering and they need you for that.

"I can fix her" but it's your companions saying it about you.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OzFactor posted:

early durge chat My problem with it isn't that they just sort of shrug and don't care about you being a murderer, it's that they just sort of shrug and don't seem to consider your likelihood of murdering them. They should be very concerned about that! There is direct, incontrovertible evidence later that they should be very concerned about That said, all it would really need to fix it would be an added line or two around what you said at the end there: that they recognize you're very dangerous but that they're currently more scared of mindflayering and they need you for that.

I honestly find it telling how the entire party acts like a horror movie victims cast. ESPECIALLY with the new potential epilogue if you defy daddy after accepting his gift.

^ This is absolutely what Gale, SH, wyll and probably karlach are telling themselves in the durge romance.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

"I can fix her" but it's your companions saying it about you.

To be clear, I'm sure that's what Gale is telling himself. And maybe Laezel is thinking more along the lines of "I can take him/her, no need to worry." But the rest of them seem to be either relatively grounded or very concerned with self-preservation.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe someday i'll do an Honour run but i gotta say, i hope turning companions into weird lore-unfriendly monk-bard-fighter hybrids isn't required

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe someday i'll do an Honour run but i gotta say, i hope turning companions into weird lore-unfriendly monk-bard-fighter hybrids isn't required

I've got no multiclasses and just have barb thief tempest sorc and cleric and Thorm was a bit difficult but I haven't ever been in _real_ danger of dying

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I was the same and was absolutely terrified of loving up when I moved to SSD but it's extremely worth it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Can you can recruit Minthara if you just leave the grove to its fate? When I finish my current goody-two-shoes completionist Durge run I'm planning on a "ruthless Shadowheart" run and she's totally fine bugging out of there. Might as well see a new companion since I'm going to be short one or two.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
So who did everyone choose to become a mindflayer for the final boss? I went with Orpheus because I couldn't bear the thought of karlach turning, and didn't really want to lose my MC after I stamped on the emperor's astral tadpole

Edit: I should say those spoilers are end spoilers, just in case we have Xbox players in the thread

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
goons.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

exquisite tea posted:

Bracers of Kushigiro as the quest reward for saving the merchant's husband in the Underdark.

The problem with this is you have to save the husband. Let him die and do Myshka's little optional quest to give that woman some peace

You know who I never appreciated in my first playthrough? Gortash. That guy is ride or die, though maybe only if you're Durge. He is legit on your side up until the end.