Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Mauser posted:

Twitter is going to move to dick pill and gold sales soon to solve it's advertiser problem

Crossposted from the Elon Musk thread. Don't know if it's real, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
There was a -- I think it was Cory Doctorow(?) -- post about how the mechanics of online advertising means that if you buy something because of it, you usually got a bad deal. The common markup needed in order justify an online marketing budget usually translates to a more expensive things at a lesser quality than generic equivalents.

The AdTech world that Old Twitter was a part of claimed that it could use its reams and reams of user surveillance data to serve targeted ads only to the most relevant people, all in order to increase efficiency and conversion while reducing waste. While it sounds plausible in theory, I wondered if such a "targeted" system ever truly existed. If it did, it would not only present a massive cybersecurity risk, but would constitute a conspiracy to find the most gullible shucks in the universe and separate them from their money -- because those would be the only people ever worth targeting.

In some ways, the modern AdTech world isn't really all that different from how InfoWars operates.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It depends. Not an expert but they have a ton of data and sometimes they can herd it into a useful profile. Aside from targeting basic demographics, it's possible to have really specific profiles.

At some point Giant Bomb covered a conference or interviewed someone who attended a conference aimed at mobile game developers. Part of it was business stuff, so there was a whole talk/pitch from people who had ad databases that could track the whales in the mobile community from one game to the next. The specific example was that there was some guy who absolutely loved the Lakers, I think, so if he was in your game it was worth it to make a knock-off NBA outfit or premium costumes in their color scheme because he'd happily drop up to $50 on it.

So, you can get pretty scary if you want. And also, yeah, I think it's a massive security risk but also anyone who would want the data can probably just buy it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Crossposted from the Elon Musk thread. Don't know if it's real, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I wanna see this on Shark Tank, and I wanna see the "Has this ever happened to you?" Type of commercial for these.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This is the natural evolution of the gusset-crouched karate jeans.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
"New."

"News."

Morroque fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 13, 2023

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh this episode might be the one that breaks me. I saw the description and despite the promise of piss, I immediately went "oh I'm not gonna like this poo poo"

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

It can't be breaking and announced by Alex Jones on the Twitter feed of Alex Jones :colbert:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Probably not the reason for Alex being allowed back on Twitter but Tesla just had to recall 2 million cars because insufficient programming to its autopilot aka it could easily kill people.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“Oh yeah, Walking on the Sun! It was in Schindler’s List” got me good

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo is this alex/elon exchange incredible

Elon asking alex what he said about sandy hook, because “it’s not cool”

Edit: i love alex’s apology that absolutely is not in any way a proper apology

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 13, 2023

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Probably not the reason for Alex being allowed back on Twitter but Tesla just had to recall 2 million cars because insufficient programming to its autopilot aka it could easily kill people.

Yeah, but that happens regularly. Since they don't have dealerships, they do it via software updates.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Oh this episode might be the one that breaks me. I saw the description and despite the promise of piss, I immediately went "oh I'm not gonna like this poo poo"

I have to commend Dan for sitting through this because this is torturous beyond belief

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
sorry what is going on with Alex's audio in this one? I thought "oh man, he's got food in his mouth during the intro" but then it just kept going and sounds like he had dental surgery or something.

Also lol the krassensteins have dweeb voices

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mauser posted:

Also lol the krassensteins have dweeb voices

Every single person's voice in this is absurd. What the gently caress? Andrew Tate sounds like that? The manliest man who ever manned sounds like Ben Shapiro mid-swirlie?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Who knew that this was all projection caused by insecurities

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

Who knew that this was all projection caused by insecurities

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm glad they talk about how funny it is that Elon Musk, a man who I would expect has a very capable internet connection, equipment and LITERALLY OWNS THE PLATFORM THEY ARE BROADCASTING ON, kept having audio issues on the call.

Eeeeeeelooooon. EEEEEELOOOOOOON.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Color Printer posted:

I have to commend Dan for sitting through this because this is torturous beyond belief

Yeah, I had to take a break from this episode. I wouldn't have been able to sit through that entire thing if I were Dan

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
These episodes show why we occasionally need to have Jordan screaming over the audio.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pennsylvanian posted:

These episodes show why we occasionally need to have Jordan screaming over the audio.

Oh don’t worry I was supplying my own

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Groveling Alex is a new one, his listeners should have to listen to this, it’s unreal to hear him talk over everyone else just to lick elons boots. He sounds rough, slurring his words more than usual. S and B sounds make it obvious.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I liked the part where Alex interrupted somebody to say something and then his audio immediately dropped out

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Musk normally sound like a crack head?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

We've heard Alex suck up to guests/hosts before this is an entirely new level. If I were Alex, I would legitimately be loving embarrassed. The man clearly has no shame for things he should have, but going by his own mental patterns this really should make him recoil in disgust. Such a pathetic worm lmfao

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Upsidads posted:

Musk normally sound like a crack head?
Musk always sounds like that.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Color Printer posted:

We've heard Alex suck up to guests/hosts before this is an entirely new level. If I were Alex, I would legitimately be loving embarrassed. The man clearly has no shame for things he should have, but going by his own mental patterns this really should make him recoil in disgust. Such a pathetic worm lmfao
Jordan's talked about it on the show before, but Alex is shameless in the most literal sense of the word. He is not capable of feeling shame.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

There was nothing more cathartic for me in this latest episode than Jordan just casually, almost quietly scoffing at Alex referring to Elon as "sir." There was nothing performative about that reaction, trying to make it into something funny; it was just pure, reflexive disgust and was exactly what I felt in that moment.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

No new episode tonight due to food poisoning.

Or so sayeth the Dan.

I went on Twitter to find this out, and doesn’t that make me the real hero if you think about it?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This is the one podcast where when a day off happens I think "Oh yea, good, Dan could use some time doing anything else"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I know what you mean. "You didn't spend days listening to Alex Jones. Good for you buddy!"

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's a nice thought but let's not kid ourselves. He's torturing himself with some bullshit to prepare for a future episode he's just not recording about it. Dan won't stop.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Xiahou Dun posted:

No new episode tonight due to food poisoning.

Or so sayeth the Dan.

I went on Twitter to find this out, and doesn’t that make me the real hero if you think about it?

The cheese from Aldi must have betrayed Dan.

Also, Dan having to disclose what ever crazy poo poo Jorden said that episode should be the new bit.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Musk’s speech problems sound way worse than I remember.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Musk’s speech problems sound way worse than I remember.

Being deep in a ketamine hole will do that to you

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rotinaj posted:

Being deep in a ketamine hole will do that to you

I think it’s the Vyvanse abuse or whatever the hot Silicon Valley stim-of-the-moment is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BigRed0427 posted:

The cheese from Aldi must have betrayed Dan.

Also, Dan having to disclose what ever crazy poo poo Jorden said that episode should be the new bit.

I’m actually doing an Aldi cheese advent calendar too. Probably the same one.

Dan’s expectations are insanely high, but it’s pretty good. The pepper gouda and the mimolette were really good! It’s just still an advent calendar, so most are just “pretty okay”.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Do you have to keep it in the fridge or are they all shelf-stable cheeses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I keep it in the fridge. It’s a pretty small box that kind of unfolds like a tackle box.

I have one of cheese and another of hot sauces, and every night I have a little spicy seasonal snack. It rules.