Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Thanks, all. I'm going to continue to work on it and add some shade + highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

These tiny models next to pennies haunt me
I close my eyes and I see pennies
I look at my painting desk and it's pennies
Mother calls, I try to answer but only pennies come out
Helpennies me pennielease

Here's a picture of my godawful beginner efforts to make you feel better.

Things I have learned:

Army Painter Speedpaint v2 Broadsword Silver is nice for tracks and exhaust pipes.
Army Painter Speedpaint v2 Enchanted Steel is nice for weapon barrels.
Metallic paints seem a lot easier to use than non-metallic paints.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ugh, have to always base coat in midtones.

Always looks like poo poo when another paint is in contrast with black or white.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I thought that the Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support needed a bit of a glow-up, so I gave her one.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Sometimes I look at this thread and wonder if I'm posting in the mini thread or the mini thread.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

I think I'm just having inconsistencies with drybrushing, which is why I'm debating the whole thing. The concept is really cool, and when it works it can look really good.

If we look at the shields below, I really like how drybrushing can bring out a subtle worn metal that would be difficult to recreate with a regular painting method:

But then when I try this technique on a larger model...

Well, it's not great....

The main issue is the amount of surface area that I need to dry brush. Some of the larger areas become "overbrushed" to the point where I should have just applied a normal layer of gold.

Now, I know I can fix this by using sub-assembly painting. However, subbing each armor piece on 10 models is a lot of work.

As everyone else said, keep going! Minis often look "bad" until suddenly everything comes together at the end. Those shields look good because they are a single object, they are done. Once you get some other details on the whole mini painted, wash it, and then highlight it should look great. We can all see where this is going, and it will look great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Trying to figure out schemes for Kharadron and I'm not really landing on anything inspiring. Anyone seen anything out there that really stood out to them?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

Trying to figure out schemes for Kharadron and I'm not really landing on anything inspiring. Anyone seen anything out there that really stood out to them?

Winter is my favorite season so I really like these : https://www.goonhammer.com/santeri-sarkola-kharadron-overlords/

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

New thread title: Minis Painting: Find the penny

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

With some more tweaks using the suggestions, It is starting to get better.

Hands down the biggest shock to me in the hobby has been how different the minis look in real-life compared to the pictures of them.

Virtual Russian posted:

As everyone else said, keep going! Minis often look "bad" until suddenly everything comes together at the end. Those shields look good because they are a single object, they are done. Once you get some other details on the whole mini painted, wash it, and then highlight it should look great. We can all see where this is going, and it will look great.

Definitely guilty of applying the first base coat and throwing my hands up to say "RUINED".

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Holy poo poo these are gorgeous

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought that the Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support needed a bit of a glow-up, so I gave her one.

Aka Our Lady of Finely Divided Aggregate.

S.J. posted:

Holy poo poo these are gorgeous

loving hell, that's the good poo poo right there.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished my 6mm Full Spectrum Dominance diorama. I'm happy with it, it's a very new scale for me to work in. It's also pretty difficult to photograph it so everything is lit up and in focus.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Anyone have experience with brushing on Vallejo white primer? For me it has terrible coverage and leaves bubbles even when thinned. I don't have this issue with their black primer so I don't know if the white sucks or if I'm using it wrong.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I tried the same thing and had the same result. Reading the fine print I think the Vallejo primer is airbrush only. There's a serious lack of brush on primers, it seems like.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

I tried the same thing and had the same result. Reading the fine print I think the Vallejo primer is airbrush only. There's a serious lack of brush on primers, it seems like.

<insert gesso priming discussion here>

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think the discussion has been super thin black primer and then dry brush white paint and do that instead of dry brushing any white primer, mine pools and looks like poo poo if I go straight white on plastic.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, I don't think it's "You can't brush paint Vallejo Primer" - you can, I did it plenty before getting an airbrush. It's more "White paint - of almost any brand and type - is dogshit when painting large surfaces". I've never had luck brush painting anything lighter than a dark bone white - And even that can be infuriating.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Cardboard Fox posted:

With some more tweaks using the suggestions, It is starting to get better.

Hands down the biggest shock to me in the hobby has been how different the minis look in real-life compared to the pictures of them.

Definitely guilty of applying the first base coat and throwing my hands up to say "RUINED".

Yeah, once you realize you just gotta trust the process and push through things looking like poo poo at first, that's a big step towards getter better at painting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8YiTeU9XU

Just keep a good point on your brush, don't overload it with paint (something I'm terrible at doing myself, tbqh), and don't be afraid to go and repaint with another color in case the first color you picked sucked. Worst comes to worst, you keep the mini as a reminder of what didn't work, and move on to the next one. If you really want to, you can strip the paint and start over, too, so it's not a huge loss if you don't like it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lucinice posted:

Anyone have experience with brushing on Vallejo white primer? For me it has terrible coverage and leaves bubbles even when thinned. I don't have this issue with their black primer so I don't know if the white sucks or if I'm using it wrong.

don't thin it, don't worry about applying it smoothly or evenly (it contracts), light-colored primer cannot serve as a solid base coat

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Try a grey primer and just brush on white ink? I have coverage issues with white primer even with an airbrush (Vallejo Mecha Primer). White’s a motherfukcer.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'll give the suggestions given here a try but I guess this just reinforces that I should probably be looking to get an airbrush for indoor priming

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I actually decided to ditch my gesso concoction and try Vallejo grey primer, which I am brushing on. It seems to work great, not really better, but I don't have to mix anything so I'm happy. I think it is meant for an airbrush, but it brushes on super well.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
This is another newbie complaint but I hate thinning paints. Just sell me paint I can use without any extra steps that give me more opportunities to introduce errors dammit. That's part of why I was attracted to contrast paints, but they have their own issues.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

You could always buy airbrush-read paints, I think they are too thin but at least one person in here has said they prefer that for brush on.

Personally I find that each paint even within the same manufacturers line behaves a bit differently, so I want it slightly thicker than I will ever need so I can take it down to the correct amount.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kylaer posted:

This is another newbie complaint but I hate thinning paints. Just sell me paint I can use without any extra steps that give me more opportunities to introduce errors dammit. That's part of why I was attracted to contrast paints, but they have their own issues.

Thinning paints isn't that bad, quit being a baby.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
You can buy airbrush line paints if you’re that upset about thinning them, it’ll give you roughly the consistency you need to paint directly onto a miniature.

You’ll also pay the same for less product, but if it bugs you that much -

E:fb

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

contrast paints are very ftw tho. if your purpose is painting for a wargame

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kylaer posted:

Do you have a wet palette? They make it a lot easier to get consistent paint thinning.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A wet palette is a hobby game changer imo

Can’t believe we didn’t use them decades ago

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I don't have a wet palette but I will get one, thank you. I may also try airbrush paints just to see how they are. And yes I complain a lot because I am a literal baby at painting :qq:

I've been thinning with Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner, is that the right product to be using?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I won't comment on that particular thinner as I don't have hands on experience with it. But I will say that everything I've painted in at least the past year I've only thinned with my wet palette and varying degrees of dampness in my brush.

*technically not totally true in that sometimes I add extra contrast medium to my contrast paints if I want them to have less coverage but with that exception the rule is proven or something

**that's not to say that a thinner product doesn't have it's uses, but for a lot of painting it's just not a hard requirement

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kylaer posted:

I don't have a wet palette but I will get one, thank you. I may also try airbrush paints just to see how they are. And yes I complain a lot because I am a literal baby at painting :qq:

I've been thinning with Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner, is that the right product to be using?

It's pretty natural to be frustrated with all of this, I definitely was at first.

That product is fine to thin with but it's not going to be much different than regular water if you are brushing on. X-20A is the product they sell for thinning their water-based airbrush acrylics and contains some other stuff to help the paints spray better. If you are just brushing on it's faster to thin with some clean-ish water in your cleaning mug.

There's also flow improver like this that actually does help with brush on for certain applications but I think doing things with water at first is probably the easiest way to learn.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
There's just so many aspects for a brand new person with no artistic skill or knowledge whatsoever, and getting multiple of them wrong simultaneously makes it hard to figure out how to improve :v:

But I'm trying.

The color mismatch is because I tried applying some Army Painter Tidal Wave blue speed paint over Citadel Calgar Blue layer paint. Didn't work out like I'd hoped! Another lesson learned.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kylaer posted:

What is the process you use to thin your paints? Water should be sufficient for thinning most acrylic paints. Are you using a paper/plastic palette, just dipping the brush quickly in the thinner, or something else?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I have a little plastic dish with wells on it, I transfer a few drops of paint to the well (using a plastic dropper in the case of GW paint pots) and then add a couple drops of the thinner and mix it around with a lovely ultra-cheap brush. Then I start painting with a different brush.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a wet palette and start experimenting with that. I was using the Tamiya thinner because, well, it said acrylic thinner on the jar and I'm using acrylic paint :rolleye:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Urethane posted:

It's pretty natural to be frustrated with all of this, I definitely was at first.

That product is fine to thin with but it's not going to be much different than regular water if you are brushing on. X-20A is the product they sell for thinning their water-based airbrush acrylics and contains some other stuff to help the paints spray better. If you are just brushing on it's faster to thin with some clean-ish water in your cleaning mug.

There's also flow improver like this that actually does help with brush on for certain applications but I think doing things with water at first is probably the easiest way to learn.

Just a note that Tamiya X-20A Thinner is actually a thinner specifically for their solvent-based acrylics rather than their water-based acrylics. It's amazing for the solvent paints like the Tamiya Clear/Flat range because it allows you to thin them down to an absurd degree without breaking the pigment delivery but it can have some weird effects on regular water-based acrylics (although I think Richard Gray uses it for basically everything that isn't a contrast paint so YMMV).

If I'm thinning regular water-based acrylic paint for an airbrush I personally like Vince Venturella's mix of 4 parts Vallejo Airbrush Thinner to 1 part Vallejo Flow Improver. For brush painting I generally just stick to water except for Contrast paints where I'll use Contrast/Lahmian medium instead since it works better with the pigment delivery than water.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Better :toot:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Don’t use tamiya thinner, it’s designed to work with tamiya acrylics which while being acrylics are not the same thing as other ranges water based stuff and it can have strange reactions. I’d also caution against the recommendation for using flow improver, it’ll start doing weird things to the properties of your paints if you are trying to thin with that purely. That being said it can be handy to mix in a small ratio with water in a bottle.

Thin with water, don’t get disheartened it’s just a fact that getting a feel for thinning different paints for different purposes is one of the trickiest things to learn for new painters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

X-posting

Axetrain posted:

Pushed myself to get both of these big guys done this week.

Repulsor Executioner

Norn Emissary

I rushed these a bit because I wanted them ready for game day tomorrow but I'm happy enough.