Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah i don’t like Cloverfield at all (“found footage movie narrated entirely by T.J. Miller” is a concept designed in a lab to piss me off) but I do think it meets the “this could be a guy in a suit” criteria.

Not unless you either substantially re-design the suit or find an actor with a very unusual body (to put it mildly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not unless you either substantially re-design the suit or find an actor with a very unusual body (to put it mildly).

Javier Botet could do it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

stilts, cgi, and arm extenders.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

I'm gonna drag my family to see it. Unfortunately it looks like the expanded showings are regular screens only. Couldn't find an IMAX showing within 100 miles :v:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

stilts, cgi, and arm extenders.

And an actor with insanely thin legs that bend the wrong way and an extra bone connecting the thighs to the "hip" sockets. The more CGI you use to make that work, the harder you are pushing the definition of a man in a suit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Two suit/puppeteer people sitting side by side inside it like the Queen in Aliens.

Annath posted:

I'm gonna drag my family to see it. Unfortunately it looks like the expanded showings are regular screens only. Couldn't find an IMAX showing within 100 miles :v:

This made me really sad, it was only playing in the actual real IMAX near us for like two days but I couldn't find one near me either :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Two suit/puppeteer people sitting side by side inside it like the Queen in Aliens.

At that point it isn't a suit, it's mecha.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Obvious answer for a suit version of Clover is that the suit actor is contained entirely in the upper torso to control the head and arms, the lower torso and legs are purely animatronic in nature

Which yes would make the suit downright enormous by monster suit standards at least assuming the suit actor to be of approximately average height

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mllaneza posted:

I'm pestering everyone I possibly can.

I convinced a total Godzilla newbie to go see it and she loved it, and now the two of us are dragging another newbie friend to go see it again next week.

I won’t rest until everyone I know has seen it in theaters :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just get Javier Botet to play it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Biollante doesn't have anyone inside it, does it? I feel like that's still a Kaiju.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McSpanky posted:

At that point it isn't a suit, it's mecha.

If you operate a mecha by a wire jacking into your brain is it organic enough to be a kaiju? Is Mecha Godzilla is a kaiju or a giant robot?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Neo Rasa posted:

This made me really sad, it was only playing in the actual real IMAX near us for like two days but I couldn't find one near me either :(

Luckily I was able to see it in IMAX when it was still available. I'm sure my folks will enjoy it, but it really does need to be seen in IMAX for the full effect.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Biollante doesn't have anyone inside it, does it? I feel like that's still a Kaiju.

It actually did! At least the second form did. All the arms were controlled by stagehands working wires, so all the actor IN the suit did was work the mouth and make it spit acid at Godzilla's face.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

If you operate a mecha by a wire jacking into your brain is it organic enough to be a kaiju? Is Mecha Godzilla is a kaiju or a giant robot?

Giant robot if it's piloted, kaiju if autonomous.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cloverfield would have been the greatest movie of all time if godzilla had shown up in the third act

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

cloverfield would have been the greatest movie of all time if godzilla had shown up in the third act

That's true of most movies, though

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

godzilla should just show up in the 3rd act of every movie

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Easy enough, if you put it on upside down and backwards.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve done the xtro trick before for a short film. It’s cool

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Part of the reason Minus One is so great is that it feels like a well written, thoughtful post-war drama about a failed kamikaze pilot rebuilding his life post-war... and then they added Godzilla.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So is that anime trilogy regarded as beneath the worst of the series, i.e. Space Godzilla, Godzilla Raids Again, etc.?

I forget it exists sometimes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chiasaur11 posted:

Part of the reason Minus One is so great is that it feels like a well written, thoughtful post-war drama about a failed kamikaze pilot rebuilding his life post-war... and then they added Godzilla.

That's pretty much what I've been telling people, it's an interesting drama that a giant lizard happens to.

e.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So is that anime trilogy regarded as beneath the worst of the series, i.e. Space Godzilla, Godzilla Raids Again, etc.?

I forget it exists sometimes.

The anime trilogy is boring. If you go in for technical details, it isn't bad per se, but it's boring. That's a bigger fuckup in kaiju media than anything the movies you reference committed. How you pit the survivors of an Earth rendered uninhabitable by kaiju against more kaiju on an alien planet and make it boring is something future scientists will have to find the answer for, because nobody alive today understands how that can possibly be allowed to happen.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 14, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mllaneza posted:

That's pretty much what I've been telling people, it's an interesting drama that a giant lizard happens to.

e.

The anime trilogy is boring. If you go in for technical details, it isn't bad per se, but it's boring. That's a bigger fuckup in kaiju media than anything the movies you reference committed. How you pit the survivors of an Earth rendered uninhabitable by kaiju against more kaiju on an alien planet and make it boring is something future scientists will have to find the answer for, because nobody alive today understands how that can possibly be allowed to happen.

The anime is basically someone yelling and hours of sub bass.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

thats a bad prolapse

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have that toy. His tail got thrown away during a move by my dad. That thing is worth over a grand at this point.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

sadly godzilla vs megaguirus is also just not very good, probably bottom 3 for me

I rewatched this one recently, and that sure is a ... different Godzilla suit design, what with the teeth and all. I'm not sure if he's ever looked doofier.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

sad thing about guy in suits disappearing and cgi is the norm, is the old masters are slowing dying off, and no successors to that field. So even if they want to do it again, the experts that know how to do it, and made it look good, are gone, with no replacement.

like even with Power Rangers/newest sentai, its becoming more cgi focused and the mech fight is heavy cgi now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Godzilla 98 gets a lot of deserved flak but I will say that its cast is far more memorable than any of the Legendary Goji movies barring Skull Island.

Nick the Worm Guy, rear end in a top hat army General, Jean Reno putting on a bad Elvis impersonation, Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer channeling Moe Szyslak and Kent Brockman, the Siskel and Ebert mayor cabinet. They're all goofy as hell and they've stuck in my mind for decades.

Aside from Walter White, Serizawa and fuckin' Shorsey nobody in G14 really matters and then KOTM and Kong start killing off other potentially interesting characters or replacing them. I thought Zhang Ziyi playing twin scientists was a great touch for the Mothra connection but she otherwise does nothing in the movie. The GVK cast might as well not exist.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Jean Reno chewing gum to look american still cracks me up

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Watched Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster last night, and it was... fine. If Godzilla was great, and Mothra vs. Godzilla was good, this one was "fine". It felt like too much crammed into its run time. I LOVE King Ghidorah as a monster design, but the whole Venusian princess plot didn't really click with me. I loved seeing the tiny women from Infant Island again though.

3 out of 5 stars.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

With G Minus One, the monster uses absurd amounts of power for moving, zapping, and healing - but without any known food source. There’s the distinct possibility that they could do absolutely nothing and he would just quickly starve to death.

This was an awesome, pivitol plot point in Shin Godzilla and though some lip service to the idea is paid in this movie, I think it could have been explored a bit more.

Though I do like that the ex-navy scientist in Minus One is the smartest person in every room he's in and he still needs a civilian sector tugboat Hail-Mary and for his friend to unexpectedly fly a bomb into the monster's mouth to keep from becoming a shadow seared into the surface of the ocean.

Though I guess Godzilla was only about twice the size of a T-Rex before he was, uh, baptized and grew to way, waaaaay bigger than he had any right to and then regrew half his loving head so I feel like waiting for a walking nuclear reactor to starve to death is a dicey strategy at best.

OH poo poo hey, did anyone in the film even mention the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombings? I may very well have missed it, but it seems the only major American attack on Japanese soil that's paid any attention is the Toyo fire bombing. They may have alluded to the A-bombs in one of the fishing scenes. The film mentions US/Soviet tensions, but does it mention atomic weaponry at all? If that;'s the case Godzilla's attack would seem way more strange and terrifying.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 14, 2023

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Count Thrashula posted:

Watched Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster last night, and it was... fine. If Godzilla was great, and Mothra vs. Godzilla was good, this one was "fine". It felt like too much crammed into its run time. I LOVE King Ghidorah as a monster design, but the whole Venusian princess plot didn't really click with me. I loved seeing the tiny women from Infant Island again though.

3 out of 5 stars.

I've always found this to be a boring entry. Invasion of the Astro-Monster is superior IMO, it's helped that the alien/human stuff is way more fun and goofy.

However if I'm not mistaken this is when Toho began their nasty stock footage habit, and I'm a firm believer in docking points for that, rather than viewing the movie as something on its own or in a vacuum, i.e. pretending it isn't recycled material.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Desumaytah posted:

This was an awesome, pivitol plot point in Shin Godzilla and though some lip service to the idea is paid in this movie, I think it could have been explored a bit more.

Though I do like that the ex-navy scientist in Minus One is the smartest person in every room he's in and he still needs a civilian sector tugboat Hail-Mary and for his friend to unexpectedly fly a bomb into the monster's mouth to keep from becoming a shadow seared into the surface of the ocean.

Though I guess Godzilla was only about twice the size of a T-Rex before he was, uh, baptized and grew to way, waaaaay bigger than he had any right to and then regrew half his loving head so I feel like waiting for a walking nuclear reactor to starve to death is a dicey strategy at best.

OH poo poo hey, did anyone in the film even mention the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombings? I may very well have missed it, but it seems the only major American attack on Japanese soil that's paid any attention is the Toyo fire bombing. They may have alluded to the A-bombs in one of the fishing scenes. The film mentions US/Soviet tensions, but does it mention atomic weaponry at all? If that;'s the case Godzilla's attack would seem way more strange and terrifying.

They didn't mention the atomic bombings at all, but there were scientists in Ginza after the attack who obviously had dealt with radioactive fallout before due to the precautions they were taking. That's honestly the only thing that alluded to them.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Alright. So Godzilla, pre information age, pulling a goddamn Tsar Bomba on Ginza might have been the formal introduction of atoms to the general Japanese population in this little alternate history.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Desumaytah posted:

Alright. So Godzilla, pre information age, pulling a goddamn Tsar Bomba on Ginza might have been the formal introduction of atoms to the general Japanese population in this little alternate history.

People in Japan were very aware of the atomic bombings so I don't think that is the case, but Godzilla's atomic blast definitely made more people witnesses to such a thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's pretty obvious even without a direct mention of the bombs that Japan was nuked like in actual history. They show footage of Godzilla being fried at Operation Crossroads so it stands to reason that the earlier nukes had already been successfully deployed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Early witness accounts of the Hiroshima atomic bomb called it the "pika-don". Pika is an onomatopoeia for a flash and Don for an explosion.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

People in Japan were very aware of the atomic bombings so I don't think that is the case, but Godzilla's atomic blast definitely made more people witnesses to such a thing.

I mean, fair. We also get some limited voice over stuff when Godzilla completes his Bikini Atoll origin story, but I can imagine this as an alternate history where the general public just didn't know/wasn't told, given, you know, the entire history disruption named Godzilla. One of those weird subtle world-building bits, like how Turtles aren't real animals in the 90's Gamera trilogy.

I'm definitely reaching, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1735446454108406145?t=SZc1tmrK5o5U4f9xaqJv8g&s=19

Keep going.