Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

grinnard posted:

So who did everyone choose to become a mindflayer for the final boss? I went with Orpheus because I couldn't bear the thought of karlach turning, and didn't really want to lose my MC after I stamped on the emperor's astral tadpole

Edit: I should say those spoilers are end spoilers, just in case we have Xbox players in the thread

1st run blind(tav): Orpheus
2nd run (durge, stuffed myself with worms): Became the mind flayer
3rd ending (first run but went back post patch for note taking/epilogue): Karlach

Analysis:
Gonna be frank here but I'm pretty sure becoming the mind flayer is gonna be the canonical option unless they are really invested in the Canon MC having a happy ending and/or kids with whoever the canonical romance option is. Becoming the mind flayer felt like the most thematic and fairest options to the companions, especially now with he able to discuss thing with mind flayer form Karlach in the epilogue. Really seems like that's who they are gonna go with. Everything else feels pretty unfair to someone and a little greedy on the PCs fault.
Edit: Also assuming that the canonical ending leaves everyone alive.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

ChronoReverse posted:

Use the halfling for transmutation so that the 1's are rerolled for the medicine checks.

you mad loving genius

exquisite tea posted:

"I can fix her" but it's your companions saying it about you.

Pretty sure my love interest on that run said something to that effect during mine. Or at the very least there were some, “Have you met me? Who am I to judge?” type responses.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ChronoReverse posted:

Use the halfling for transmutation so that the 1's are rerolled for the medicine checks.

I just leave Gale as my half wizard/half bard camp nerd who does all my concocting and longstrider spells in Tactician and roll with Astarion in the field instead who can attack at least four times in Act One being half rogue/half fighter, that nerd prefers reading poo poo nobody cares about anyway :colbert:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe someday i'll do an Honour run but i gotta say, i hope turning companions into weird lore-unfriendly monk-bard-fighter hybrids isn't required

It’s not, and who said it was? You could leave all of the companions as their default class/stats and have no problems, it just wouldn’t be oPtiMaL.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Honor Mode allow for respeccing/hirelings?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Does Honor Mode allow for respeccing/hirelings?
Yes.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

grinnard posted:

So who did everyone choose to become a mindflayer for the final boss? I went with Orpheus because I couldn't bear the thought of karlach turning, and didn't really want to lose my MC after I stamped on the emperor's astral tadpole

Edit: I should say those spoilers are end spoilers, just in case we have Xbox players in the thread

I had joked with my friends about wanting to become a full Mind Flayer the whole time... then I got the Astral Tadpole and was jumping for joy at officially becoming a Part-Illithid and enjoying all the powers that came with it. My friends were sickened by the tadpoles but I had such a brain full of worms! At the end when I had a choice it was still hard because Karlach was my main squeeze so there was no way I was doing that to her, and Orpheus seemed useful though the irony of turning him was quite tempting. In the end I chose to go with what I had been working to and turn myself... In the epilogue everyone still liked me, Karlach was still in love and we flew to hell together to face the hordes and I was still fist pumping and cheering. So it was okay!

Game is good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's really funny that even if you are a githyanki MC and choose to become a mindflayer, you can still get the "ride away to lead the rebellion" romance-specific ending with Lae'zel and Orpheus. There's even unique dialogue where Orpheus is like "ehhhh they'll get over it" as you fly back to the astral plane.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
has anyone tried running a wisdom Ranger? grabbing shillelagh, going to town with multi-attacks and high DC nature spells. There's more support for that build in pnp, but I wonder if it would be fun in bg3.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So i got to gut and then actually passed a constitution check and then she went mad and attacked me and my crew,we were outnumbered 4/100 and died. 10/10 goty

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

has anyone tried running a wisdom Ranger? grabbing shillelagh, going to town with multi-attacks and high DC nature spells. There's more support for that build in pnp, but I wonder if it would be fun in bg3.

i'd probably do spore druid 7/ranger 5 for something like that, since ranger's tier 3 spells are very "eh" if you're not doing a gilgamesh cosplay

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
So in the final battle I called in the (temporarily enlarged and armoured) owlbear cub and then his first turn he got toasted by the red dragon leaving a crispy corpse and that was mildly traumatic. I had to reload a save from before the battle

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

grinnard posted:

Karlach was my main and I picked her.

Orpheus is a prick, but leading the Gith rebellion/revolution/whatever seemed like a good thing too, and it's hard to see how that would happen with him as a mind flayer.

Karlach's on borrowed time, and a sacrifice that saves the world, helps a misled people, and *potentially* buys her a new lease on life seemed like a thing she'd do.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still extremely unclear on the whole ceremorphosis thing, a lot of stuff makes it sound like the person who hatches a mindflayer basically dies and their soul is destroyed and they're replaced by a mind flayer who has all their memories but is a different person? But then a bunch of stuff in this game seems to suggest that's not the case and it's basically just that you're the same person but you grow tentacles and get psychic powers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Entropic posted:

I'm still extremely unclear on the whole ceremorphosis thing, a lot of stuff makes it sound like the person who hatches a mindflayer basically dies and their soul is destroyed and they're replaced by a mind flayer who has all their memories but is a different person? But then a bunch of stuff in this game seems to suggest that's not the case and it's basically just that you're the same person but you grow tentacles and get psychic powers.

the official lore is that ceremorphosis obliterates the old personality completely except in rare circumstances, so i'd chalk up any deviations from that in this game to being explained by the main contrivance of the plot

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Larian please add ten pages of dialog where characters argue about if you're the same person after ceremorphosis like sci fi nerds arguing about whether the transporter kills you or not.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Patch 5 is finally out for MacOS, so I guess I can actually start playing the game again.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Entropic posted:

Larian please add ten pages of dialog where characters argue about if you're the same person after ceremorphosis like sci fi nerds arguing about whether the transporter kills you or not.

it would actually rule if some of the characters had strong philosophical opinions on the topic. especially if they brought d&d religious cosmology and in-universe records of illithid lore into their conversations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Its obviously a 3d printer. I died to tell you this.

• Fixed the DC for pickpocketing a container not accounting for the weight and value of the items inside the container.

Why do they hate Rogues :argh: I just want to role play my fantasy of having a scrooge pile.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Act 3 spoiler: holy god the house of grief is hard

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

First time I felt overwhelmed. It's rough.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

grinnard posted:

I waffled, promoting Orpheus to declare he'd have to do it. Then I said ok ok worm me. He really liked that and immediately got over how mad he was at me a few minutes ago for not dying / massacre-ing the creche / selling the egg / loving the emperor.

I turned out fine. Though I did have to roll a save to avoid eating Halsin's brain in the epilogue.

Entropic posted:

The memories are the person and the person is the memories, so you're still you. Or at least a you. "But your soul gets destroyed!" is just an excuse the gods came up with for not letting you into [afterlife] because they think tentacles are icky.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's actually really easy if you let Shadowheart go evil in act 2. With good Shadowheart it's definitely one of the game's hardest fights.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

You know, the worst part (same act 3 spoiler above) is I just killed them by using the giant runepowder bomb, then getting everyone to a choke point and spamming the heck out of aoes while having shadow heart keep daylight going. After which talking to the main lady is bugged and she just acts like I'm talking to her for the first time again

At least I could force attack her to kill her anyway :v:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 15, 2023

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thundarr posted:

The memories are the person and the person is the memories, so you're still you. Or at least a you. "But your soul gets destroyed!" is just an excuse the gods came up with for not letting you into [afterlife] because they think tentacles are icky.

Ok, I could buy this if we're talking about star trek, but this is a universe where souls are literally a thing that exists.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Apparently if Jaheira is stunned at the end of the Minsc/Stone Lord she doesn't participate in the final conversation and you're forced to kill him.

gently caress

This is Honour Mode so I can't go back to a previous save. This sucks. Also Jaheira ran off with a bunch of very nice equipment.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Karlach was my main and I picked her.

Orpheus is a prick, but leading the Gith rebellion/revolution/whatever seemed like a good thing too, and it's hard to see how that would happen with him as a mind flayer.

Karlach's on borrowed time, and a sacrifice that saves the world, helps a misled people, and *potentially* buys her a new lease on life seemed like a thing she'd do.

Or you can just go to Avernus together and hump all night and kill lemures all day.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Entropic posted:

Under normal circumstances I think it has to be "old person is dead, new (evil) mindflayer is born" - consider stuff like the act 2 early ending when Gale destroys the netherbrain

There's no brain to control them, so that's just the newly transformed mindflayers acting on their own.

So if there are any exceptions it'll be because of special protagonist shenanigans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Scrolls of cloudkill made that fight hilariously easy. Also I hope you were smarter than me and didn't use radiant damage during the fight?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

grack posted:

Apparently if Jaheira is stunned at the end of the Minsc/Stone Lord she doesn't participate in the final conversation and you're forced to kill him.

gently caress

This is Honour Mode so I can't go back to a previous save. This sucks. Also Jaheira ran off with a bunch of very nice equipment.

If you don’t mind cheating, just kill the process and reload.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Scrolls of cloudkill made that fight hilariously easy. Also I hope you were smarter than me and didn't use radiant damage during the fight?

The problem i ran into was darkness getting rid of my aoes, and then man if they got close to me with darkness they'd swing for like 30+ damage per attack. I did check and find out that they would reflect radiant damage before I accidently blew myself up at least

Luckily a chokepoint plus judicious application of ice fall, haste and high explosives fixed a lot of that!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you don’t mind cheating, just kill the process and reload.

Meh. Too late

I am starting to run out of party members, though. Or at least ones I actually want to haul around with me.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Entropic posted:

The game is pretty vague about it, I think -- or rather, it says a few different things and you kind of have to work to get them to not contradict each other. Every mindflayer you can have an actual conversation with in the game is some kind of special case that might not work the way normal mindflayers work. If you turn Orpheus into a mindflayer and then pick certain conversation options at the end of the game he can ask you to kill him while he's still got his soul, and Withers also confirms that he's still himself during the final area, so whatever happens it apparently isn't an immediate or 100% guaranteed thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thuryl posted:

The game is pretty vague about it, I think -- or rather, it says a few different things and you kind of have to work to get them to not contradict each other. Every mindflayer you can have an actual conversation with in the game is some kind of special case that might not work the way normal mindflayers work. If you turn Orpheus into a mindflayer and then pick certain conversation options at the end of the game he can ask you to kill him while he's still got his soul, and Withers also confirms that he's still himself during the final area, so whatever happens it apparently isn't an immediate or 100% guaranteed thing.

I choose to believe that that's just them believeing the still have a soul when they actually don't and it makes no difference.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Thuryl posted:

And if you pick other options and pass other checks, he agrees that you shouldn’t kill him and he goes on to leave a nice quiet life, keeping an eye on Laezel as she kicks rear end

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honour mode spoilers. Wow it's been a few months since I played but I nearly wiped in the Creche. The boss Kithrak there had an ability where if I hit him or his allies he could summon some swords. As the fight progressed he had an army of those damned things and I couldn't kill them fast enough. I almost died but manage to power through and dps him down. I can't remember if he even had that ability in vanilla tactician? Regardless, I guess for future attempts the play is probably to just dps him down asap if possible as otherwise he gets an army built up before long. Problem is he has high defenses too so it's hard to hit him, and he gets a legendary resistance ability too so ccing him is difficult too. I managed but I used quite a few pots and it was dicey. I wonder how others approached this? First really close call I've had on Honour mode tbh.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That is a legendary action from honor mode only yes and my solution was to dps him to death before it became a problem, then take care of the minions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bird with big dick posted:

Started honor mode, playing Astarion, picked up Gale and Laez and Shart and figured I’d make for the Grove and get what gear and potions and exp I could there before planning my next move.

Nearly wiped to the pissant goblins. Both Laez and Ast were downed, a sleep spell from Gale gave me enough of a break from their archers to get everyone back up and then NPCs chucked a few health potions my way (after I probably no longer needed them tbh).

I'm finding that having a plan to escape from combat is extremely helpful for surviving in honor mode.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I'm finding that having a plan to escape from combat is extremely helpful for surviving in honor mode.

Yeah having a potion of invisibility on hand for someone to pop and run for their lives has saved me from a wipe a couple times now.

I’m wrapping up act 3 on my honour run. Since I hit 12 nothing has really posed a threat. Sarevok was a joke. Cazador and Gortash both went down in round 1. Ansur was a little hairy but I still had plenty of HP to spare when I got him.

Raphael was definitely hardest so far. He managed to kill Hope before she could take a single action, and his minions locked down my Astarion Bard (my only caster) for multiple rounds. I got in a loop of throwing a potion at him only for the minions to down him again before he could act. Eventually I got him to drink an invisibility potion so I could actually cast some spells on the next round, which turned the tides in my favour pretty fast.

Only have Orin and the last boss left really. Got a few other quests kicking around but I think I’ll skip them and just go for the end now. It’s not like I need to be any more powerful.

Schwawa fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 15, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ChronoReverse posted:

That is a legendary action from honor mode only yes and my solution was to dps him to death before it became a problem, then take care of the minions.

It's a nasty ability for sure. And yeah I think probably the play there would have been to dps him first rather than his minions. It's tough because he has such high defenses as well.

Was a harrowing fight but I made it barely. Lots of resources consumed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
I made a 99-cent-store Geralt of Rivia and he got wiped by bandits after falling through a hole in the floor :( Any reason not to rest after every fight? I know almost nothing about D&D and it's hard to tell how often I should be sleeping