Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Rubellavator posted:

the reason behind those laws is that if you only have liability and you get hit by someone without insurance you're just kinda hosed I think?

my car insurance has "uninsured driver" coverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

in the u.s., only my home state of NH and Virginia (iirc) don't have insurance requirements. VA seems weird not to have insurance requirements though because all ive heard about the place is troopers live to ticket people for bullshit way above and beyond "normal" places, excepting those southern towns with 420 people and 69 cops who issue $8 million in citations a year

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
You have to pay a yearly $500 uninsured driver fee in VA if you don't have insurance. If you drop coverage and don't pay they suspend your license and it's a huge pain in the rear end. It's really awesome when you're broke.

And yeah central VA is lousy with cops rolling 3 deep on every traffic stop and ticketing for everything.

Horror_Business has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Dec 15, 2023

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lmao holy poo poo that's evil. broke and can't afford insurance? pay this fee, which is enough to cover a year's worth of liability, or 6 months of comprehensive or lose the ability to legally drive to work

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

Yeah that's about what it comes down to. I guess the only edge case who might benefit are people with driving records too lovely to get insurance at all. Paying the uninsured motorist fee doesn't go into a fund for people hit by uninsured drivers or anything though, just raking in cash.

Also getting suspended for no insurance means you have to get SR22 insurance where they report to the state every month that you're still insured. More expensive and you have to do it for a couple of years usually.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

in my state (MN) you have to submit your insurance info when you renew your tabs every year

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-e4nlfdRI

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Eat This Glob posted:

lmao holy poo poo that's evil. broke and can't afford insurance? pay this fee, which is enough to cover a year's worth of liability, or 6 months of comprehensive or lose the ability to legally drive to work
It is pretty evil, about $1400 a year for me if I wanted to drive legally and sadly I might take that hosed up tax instead if it was offered. Notably, the law doesn't seem to be concerned with how safe of a driver you are relative to other drivers when it comes to whether or not you have to have insurance, say for example if you've driven over a million miles over 22 years without ever hitting another person (something that is obviously only possible if you actively drive defensively to prevent other people hitting you at their fault) well who the gently caress cares

Anyway it really is good to know it doesn't actually matter for me, yay for being lucky by accident of birth for the dumbest reason and not being quite as compelled to give my money to capitalists

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Dec 15, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coolness Averted posted:

The same way you won't get sent to jail for not having health insurance, but there's a tax penalty
not for like five years

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

love to go to debtor’sinsurance prison.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just drive illegally

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I live in MD. About ten years ago I got a new car and cancelled my insurance on my old car 3 days sooner than I should have (before I turned the plates back in). The MVA was keeping track, called me and said I had to pay a minor fine (per day).

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

I live in MD. About ten years ago I got a new car and cancelled my insurance on my old car 3 days sooner than I should have (before I turned the plates back in). The MVA was keeping track, called me and said I had to pay a minor fine (per day).

Similar thing happened to me and now I'm in this limbo zone where I need a driver's license to get insurance and I need insurance to get a driver's license. I'm just going to become a sovereign citizen or get arrested or whatever. Easier than dealing with this poo poo.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.texasobserver.org/why-was-this-11-year-old-honor-roll-student-put-in-solitary/
https://www.texasobserver.org/prosecutors-wont-drop-charges-against-brownsville-isd-honor-student/

Throwing an 11 year old in the Magneto cell for 3 days because he called the principal a [checks notes] "poopy butt"

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Rolling a 4th grader in to the court room in the Hannibal Lecter cart with the face mask. "A hall monitor once tried to test me. I ate his cookies with some french fries and a nice kool-aid."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Throwing an 11 year old in the Magneto cell for 3 days because he called the principal a [checks notes] "poopy butt"

His remark about the principal was demeaning and inaccurate.

The principal is in fact a total, irredeemable piece of poo poo.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Rolling a 4th grader in to the court room in the Hannibal Lecter cart with the face mask. "A hall monitor once tried to test me. I ate his cookies with some french fries and a nice kool-aid."

lmao

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

Al! posted:

just drive illegally

I worked nights and drove the speed limit, so I got away with it for the couple of years I did it. That was 20 years ago, though. Now all the cop cars have plate readers so I assume you're turbofucked if your license is suspended or your plates are flagged. VA is really bad when it comes to locking people up for driving on suspended licenses, too.

Horror_Business has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Dec 16, 2023

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

are all the lovely people in this story related or something? the principal, district attorney, and judge all have the same last name.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

are all the lovely people in this story related or something? the principal, district attorney, and judge all have the same last name.

It's a pretty common name but that seems like a huge coincidence lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Horror_Business posted:

I worked nights and drove the speed limit, so I got away with it for the couple of years I did it. That was 20 years ago, though. Now all the cop cars have plate readers so I assume you're turbofucked if your license is suspended or your plates are flagged. VA is really bad when it comes to locking people up for driving on suspended licenses, too.

Depends on state. In CA the police systems supposedly can't actually run an insurance check -though they can check a DL and the plates/registration for a vehicle. So someone *could* get insurance before registering, then not renew until their registration was due again.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Suit is dismissed because slavery is legal if they're convicts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Slavery is still constitutionally, and expressly, legal in the United States of America in 2023 and beyond. Lol.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd say something has to give but I feel like I've been saying that for 3 years now and it's yet to give

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Junpei posted:

I'd say something has to give but I feel like I've been saying that for 3 years now and it's yet to give

Post a meme

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

It's what we need in these trying times

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Junpei posted:

you have to do it one more time before the bodies hit the floor

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

U know this mf thought of the punchline first and reverse-engineered the whole joke, I DO NOT think this is a real story

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pontificating rear end posted:

U know this mf thought of the punchline first and reverse-engineered the whole joke, I DO NOT think this is a real story

all jokes are accurate retellings of true things that actually happened.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Horror_Business posted:

I let my car's registration expire for like 1.5 years over COVID (my only excuse for this is that our DMV has had issues and didn't send out the reminders).

I managed to avoid losing my license when I went to get it registered by lying about not driving at all during the pandemic. The only reason this worked is that I had lucked into never getting a ticket over that entire period (which they looked up, since they were reasonably skeptical about my claims). I felt bad because other people there were like "my registration just expired a couple weeks ago and then I got a ticket." In the end I didn't even have to pay any extra fees.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

AvesPKS posted:

I'll add to my notes for living in MD lol

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/1735785605722972533

Cops shut down schools and major roads for 2 days to cry and feel sad. A non cop also died but who cares. And of course they gave no warning, good luck people driving through town on those two days!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
schools are sites that indoctrinate children into the cults of Productivity, Capitalism and Standardized Testing so schools getting shut down is a-okay with me

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

speaking of schools and cops, the police have entered the "hunting for library books" phase. this is in western massachsetts. biden won the town 83% to 16%

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news...3ff1c1b9dd.html

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Eat This Glob posted:

speaking of schools and cops, the police have entered the "hunting for library books" phase. this is in western massachsetts. biden won the town 83% to 16%

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news...3ff1c1b9dd.html

lol that the book was there but the cop couldn't find it. might help to be literate

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Junpei posted:

schools are sites that indoctrinate children into the cults of Productivity, Capitalism and Standardized Testing so schools getting shut down is a-okay with me

how are you perpetually a 14 year old who hates homework

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cheen posted:

how are you perpetually a 14 year old who hates homework

lmfao if this isn't your mental picture of junpei

https://youtu.be/8jsUj4DqWfU?si=SV4tOBGDRi6jGExX

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

not having insurance is illegal in the states? and imprisonable? drat

When I lived in South Carolina your insurance provider had to certify to the state that you had insurance or they’d cancel your drivers license until you got it back. And driving without a license was an immediate arrest

In Oregon the dmv doesn’t care and the cops don’t bother arresting you for driving without a license. So yeah, it just depends where you are just like a lot of criminal laws in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/Kattressa/status/1737975070172283079