Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I still believe in the conspiracy theory that there's no Wildcat in the JSA in Black Adam because Wildcat is such a cool character if they got an actor with even a modicum of charisma he would've outshone Dwayne Johnson as coolest tough guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gaius Marius posted:

John Henry is the goat of American folk heroes. Remember reading about him in elementary school and have spent the rest of my life chasing that ideal.

thetoughestbean posted:

…doing a bunch of manual labor and then dying?

The John Henry story scared the poo poo out of me when I first read it. I was so worried that I was going to accidentally kill myself by doing too much in gym class or recess or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

YeahTubaMike posted:

The John Henry story scared the poo poo out of me when I first read it. I was so worried that I was going to accidentally kill myself by doing too much in gym class or recess or whatever.

But then you grew up and realized you never had the force of will necessary to burn out your life proving the indomitable nature of the human spirit :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

oldpainless posted:

Black Adam wasn’t that bad

It wasn’t great but it could have been worse. I mostly enjoyed it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If Eric Adams really cared about fighting the rat problem in NYC as much as he claims, he would make it illegal to spay or neuter cats in the city.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Balding guys don’t really look bad and it’s fine to just grow out your hair still even when balding. You don’t need to give up and shave your head. Like a lot of traits, it’s only unattractive if you are obviously insecure.

In fact I am very unattracted to shiny shaved head regardless of age, makes me wonder how often you have to shave it to hide your obvious male pattern baldness, but that’s just me. Embrace your hair that’s left, balding dudes

E: or don’t, if you like the fully bald look. I’m just annoyed how any hairline loss is responded to with “best shave it off” when no, you really don’t need to

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Dec 14, 2023

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In fact I am very unattracted to shiny shaved head regardless of age, makes me wonder how often you have to shave it to hide your obvious male pattern baldness, but that’s just me. Embrace your hair that’s left, balding dudes

Same goes for guys using all sort of products in their hair, or having it cut into shapes at a barber. Just embrace your messy hair, don't try to hide it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

All the Brady Bunch movies are better than any episode of the original series, including the third one where Mike becomes President of the United States of America instead of George W. Bush and 9/11 seemingly never happened.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Balding guys don’t really look bad and it’s fine to just grow out your hair still even when balding. You don’t need to give up and shave your head. Like a lot of traits, it’s only unattractive if you are obviously insecure.

E: or don’t, if you like the fully bald look. I’m just annoyed how any hairline loss is responded to with “best shave it off” when no, you really don’t need to

Eh, my hair was pretty poo poo when I had a full head, really fine and straight. Now I go for a .5 and head of Action Man style velour. If I had the volume, I'd happily go the Dr Weird look.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

They really aren't. He desperately needed an editor and mostly built the brand on individual scenes that were shocking or full of sex.

I read them before ever hearing anything about them on the internet. Finished book 2 before book 3 was released. There was no brand, just the books, and they were gripping.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Lube can leave an aftertaste that's "physically" bad but actually pleasant in your thoughts, when you dare the sub zero air outside.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I can't explain it, but Foghorn Leghorn deserves to suffer a botched lethal injection

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Elissimpark posted:

Eh, my hair was pretty poo poo when I had a full head, really fine and straight. Now I go for a .5 and head of Action Man style velour. If I had the volume, I'd happily go the Dr Weird look.

My hair is luxurious, but yeah I too shave it to the bone once a year and let it grow to its current luxurious, beautiful length.

My opinion is for guys who feel the need they must shave because otherwise people will notice they’re balding and judge them. They’ll notice, they won’t care unless you wear a hat everyday then show up bald then show up with a hat then show up bald then show up with a hat then show up bald then show up with a hat then show up bald but oops you forgot your hat

In that case, lmaos will abound as soon as baldy leaves the room. Because of insecurity not because of the scalp.

Nobody cares my mans, even Fabio is balding now.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 14, 2023

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You seem very interested in hair lately. How's it going? You ok?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

If Eric Adams really cared about fighting the rat problem in NYC as much as he claims, he would make it illegal to spay or neuter cats in the city.
Seems rather similar to a strategy I heard of someone using to deal with having swallowed a fly. I don't think it ended well for her.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

doverhog posted:

I read them before ever hearing anything about them on the internet. Finished book 2 before book 3 was released. There was no brand, just the books, and they were gripping.

So did I. They weren't well written. He came up with a good world and sprinkled in large amounts of sex and violence. That doesn't mean he's a good writer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"I devoured all his books. What a bad author that man is."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The person who bought me this forums account got me the first GoT book at the same time. It was kind of him, but wow did I hate that book

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Strongly reminded of

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I may have already spoke about this before, but the best donut for dunking is the humble powdered sugar. When it hits the coffee the powdered sugar turns into a delicious coffee flavored glaze. The bakery down the street from me will make me a chocolate powdered sugar donut if I get there early enough, which may be one of my low key favorite weekend things now that I’m old and boring.

Also if you don’t dunk your donuts you’re only unlocking 50% of your donut’s potential. Every undunked donut leaves this world having not achieved their life’s ambition and, frankly, we as a society should be doing more to keep this from happening.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I loved Ebert and his occasional weirdly bad take on good movies.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
He liked Carnisaur.

10 year old me did too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That comic is pretty on point. Ebert's populist streak made him iconic but his critiques are generally middling. His "Is there will be blood a great movie, or a movie we call great" is one of the all time worst failures to read intention and meaning in a film.

His harshness on Zabriske Point is also bullshit.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i like Roger Ebert because he absolutely hated North and even 4 year old me knew that movie was a pile of trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEjF5Sk3GLA

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I never saw There Will be Blood because it didn't look like a comedy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aramek posted:

I laughed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aramek posted:

It is a very funny movie. DDL is massively underrated as a comedic actor and PTA knows how to bring it out of him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fun fact DDL is the one who came up with the name Reynolds Woodcock for Phantom Thread.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's a 158-minute movie where exactly one interesting thing occurs at the absolute very end. You will notice this is the only scene that anyone ever talks about because they've forgotten the rest of it except for a general good feeling about Daniel Day-Lewis and the thunderous force of his ACTING!!!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"I devoured all his books. What a bad author that man is."

"I read 2 and a half books from an author over a couple years and think he writes interesting worlds, but desperately needs a good editor because his writing skills don't match his imagination."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I read the books. The first few were pretty good but the quality really dropped after that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

For clarification, I am of course referring to the Holy Koran

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

It's a 158-minute movie where exactly one interesting thing occurs at the absolute very end. You will notice this is the only scene that anyone ever talks about because they've forgotten the rest of it except for a general good feeling about Daniel Day-Lewis and the thunderous force of his ACTING!!!

Insane take. The Derrick explosion, Dano humiliating DDL in the church, the opening, killing his brother, the "I have a competition in me" soliloquy. Absolute stacked movie

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Greenwood's score is great too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

the main thing I remember from the Games of Thrones books is they get crazy boring when the little girl goes to assassin school

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Didn't one of the books end with the mom becoming a zombie or something? That wasn't in the show.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Gaius Marius posted:

Insane take. The Derrick explosion, Dano humiliating DDL in the church, the opening, killing his brother, the "I have a competition in me" soliloquy. Absolute stacked movie

I saw the movie so I know I must have watched all that stuff, but none of it made any lasting impression. Not unlike Avatar.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

credburn posted:

Didn't one of the books end with the mom becoming a zombie or something? That wasn't in the show.

Yeah, Catelyn becomes a zombie animated by the Red Priests and spends her time trying to extinguish the Lannister bloodline. Like a lot of later Asoiaf it sounds cooler than it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Martin released the first five books within a 15 year span. It’s been almost 13 years since the last book came out. The man has played us all like a drat fiddle.