Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

mcmagic posted:

How did Hackett get there? Did he teleport into the building and just start running meetings and people felt bad to tell him to leave?

Maybe not teleport but Aaron Rodgers used his mind-crystal magiks to convince at least several people to bring him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Maybe not teleport but Aaron Rodgers used his mind-crystal magiks to convince at least several people to bring him

Saleh hired Hackett before Rodgers was a Jet. He also hired him as OC, something he never was working with Rodgers before, not Rodgers' personal coffee getter.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

mcmagic posted:

Saleh hired Hackett before Rodgers was a Jet. He also hired him as OC, something he never was working with Rodgers before, not Rodgers' personal coffee getter.

That's uh, the order of operations one must follow to sign Rodgers, no? The Broncos did the same idiotic thing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Simplex posted:

I'm actually really curious what quarterbacks were out there and/or available that people think would improve the quarterback situation for the Jets, Steelers and Patriots.

Jets could have made a run at a competent backup in the offseason like Minshew or Brissett. They're career backups for a reason but they're not deer in the headlights hopeless like Wilson. As mcmagic keeps saying, the fact that Wilson was the ONLY backup plan is malpractice

Pats were always gonna be poo poo so whatever. Signing some JAG to compete in camp with Mac wouldn't have changed anything. Even Mahomes needs some baseline level of competence around him and what New England has is even worse than KC.

Steelers probably needed to give Pickett one more chance to prove he wasn't poo poo. Unfortunately, he is in fact poo poo so they gotta figure something out next year. Unlike NE they have some solid weapons, and are finally out from under the dead weight of Matt Canada, so they could probably turn it around pretty quickly.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Saleh also announced before free agency and before the team had Rodgers that Wilson would be QB2. Which pretty much meant any reasonable backup wouldn't sign with them to be 3rd string QB. Now it probably wasn't Saleh's choice, but he definitely deserves some of the blame for going along with that decision and then the decision to not make a single move at QB, other then Simiean, after Rodgers was hurt.

Fire Saleh, fire Hackett, keep as much of the defensive staff as possible and get a promising coach from the offensive side of the ball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's uh, the order of operations one must follow to sign Rodgers, no? The Broncos did the same idiotic thing.

I don't believe that
1) They needed to have Hackett in the building to get Rodgers to come to the only team that was trying to trade for him.
2) Even if you believe that I don't believe that Hackett needed to be EXACTLY the OC and not some glorified coffee getter with a title just to make Rodgers more comfortable.

If you're the HC and you make a complete incompetent your OC you get to be held responsible for that no matter what kind of excuses there are for why you hired him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Got a good feeling about tonight

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

syzpid posted:

Fire Saleh

syzpid posted:

keep as much of the defensive staff as possible

These are probably mutually exclusive.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pete Carroll needs to Pokémon-go to the polls unemployment line.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Pete Carroll needs to Pokémon-go to the polls unemployment line.

Where is this coming from?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Jets would have a decent defense with any staff tbh. They have good players on defense. I don't care if they keep that staff or not. I want them to hire a new HC and let him hire who he wants.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know about that, just look at the Packers of the last like 4-5 years.

Always hyped as having all these excellent players up and down their defense, always mid as hell

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Benne posted:

WEEK 15 UPDATE
COOL
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys

Theres a universe where Dallas get bounced in the first round of the playoffs again and Jerry axes McCarthy leading to the bad timeline: Bill Belichick to the Cowboys

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kalli posted:

Always hyped as having all these excellent players up and down their defense, always mid as hell

The Jets have better players than the packers do on defense tbh. They have also made the playoffs most of those last 5 years.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Maybe their players ain't that good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

sirtommygunn posted:

Where is this coming from?

As a reminder, Pete has final say over all personnel decisions. He’s the de facto GM.

• He is consistently out schemed/coached. Check out his record against McVay and Shanahan.
  • He consistently makes terrible trades and FA decisions.
  • FAs tend to perform worse when they get here. FAs tend to perform better when they leave here. The exception was the early LOB era.
  • He’s terrible at drafting. We have a decade long sample and most drafts were disastrous. This is forgotten by most nfl fans because obviously the 2 LOB era drafts were historically great and the 2022 draft is also looking good.
  • He consistently undervalues the OL. Except LT, which to Pete’s credit he does invest in.
  • His main competitive advantage when he first joined Seattle was the novel “treat players respectfully like adult coworkers while fostering a positive work environment.” That was novel-ish back then when you had ball busting coaches like Schiano and Garrett. It’s not novel now.
  • He has 1 playoff win in the last half dozen years.
  • His only modestly deep playoff runs happened when he had multiple hall of fame and multiple hall of very good players, on rookie contracts. Including a franchise QB on a third round contract.
  • :siren: And most damning: Pete has a losing record of all his Seahawks games before Russell Wilson and a losing record of all his Seahawks games after Russell Wilson.

Carroll is a better coach than many of the poo poo tier nepotism idiots around the league but he’s also not a great coach. Generally, he beats bad teams, competes with okay teams and loses to good teams. Seattle will never again be a contender with him at the helm. I’m not even saying “ringz or nothing”, I am saying making a team that could plausibly contend for a title.

When I evaluate Pete I think of the Bill Belichick quote about how it’s easy to go .500 in the nfl and if you aren’t then something is drastically wrong. I’m not impressed that Pete generally was able to be on the right side of .500 when he had Russell Wilson. There aren’t enough quality franchise qbs for every team to have one, so any team with a quality franchise qb should easily get to .500 in most situations.

I also evaluate Pete with the framing of “is the coach doing more with less? Or less with more?” Typically I think it is the latter.

Seattle could absolutely do worse than Pete but they could also do better. I want to gamble for a winner rather than stay in the doldrums of mediocrity.

Edit: he is funny and charismatic tho

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 14, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I luv 2 post

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

:justpost:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Dobbs is now down to 3rd string/inactive. We can probably end the "JETS COULDA HAD DOBBS" whinging as any decent performance he put out was probably a fluke.

Much like Zach Wilson against the Houston Texans.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1735380821899448411?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Dobbs is now down to 3rd string/inactive. We can probably end the "JETS COULDA HAD DOBBS" whinging as any decent performance he put out was probably a fluke.

Much like Zach Wilson against the Houston Texans.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1735380821899448411?s=20

I'm about coaches finding ways to score points and win games. It's a results based business.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

a neat cape posted:

I'm looking forward to the Chargers inexplicably winning out to make sure Staley gets one more year to prove himself and I'll gladly take the L to get the ball rolling.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mcmagic posted:

I'm about coaches finding ways to score points and win games.

As a Jets fan, are you sure you actually are? Just saying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nervous posted:

As a Jets fan, are you sure you actually are? Just saying.

What should I do? Make excuses and talk around that not happening?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

I'm looking forward to the Chargers inexplicably winning out to make sure Staley gets one more year to prove himself and I'll gladly take the L to get the ball rolling.

Absolutely the worst thing for the team going forward is for them to win now that Herbert's not there

Given how the year's gone in the league, I can't even rule it out either

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mcmagic posted:

I'm about coaches finding ways to score points and win games. It's a results based business.

I’m envisioning a coach suiting up to kick field goals himself since his kicker sucks.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Erainor posted:

I’m envisioning a coach suiting up to kick field goals himself since his kicker sucks.

I remembered Staley played qb and tennis in college, but for some reason I thought he had also played soccer and was going to suggest that he’d finally found his niche. But alas, he’d probably suck at that too

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Don't think Herbert's injury matters when you give up 21 inside a quarter against the zombie raiders

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Staley is going to be buried in the Nevada desert at half time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Staley is getting fired tomorrow.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Congrats.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
I wish they'd stop cutting to Staley on the sidelines. It's getting kinda disturbing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Was out with friends and forgot that this game was on until now

lmfao

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

a neat cape posted:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Docjowles posted:

I was going to write up a longer reply til I saw who I was responding to. Super Bowl appearance followed up by AFCCG, seems pretty good???? What did the Raiders do in that span, and versus the Bengals in the playoffs specifically? I’ll wait.

Good job nitpicking “immediately” I guess, got me to write this post about two teams I don’t root for

Zac Taylor went 6-25-1 in his first two seasons. How is that immediate success?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
this was the good feeling I was talking about btw

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

a neat cape posted:

You deserve happiness.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

I legit expected Staley to be perp-walked out by security for that first half, but yeah I haven’t felt so good about such a game ever.

The suffering is almost over.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fire Staley before the final snap, make Spanos sell by the end of the night, move the team back to San Diego tomorrow, and give a public apology to Herbert, Rivers, and LaDainian specifically

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

a neat cape posted:

I was too busy earlier today to challenge that claim and say the Raiders would lay an egg and ruin it for you

couldn't have been more wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It’s honestly a good thing for the Chargers - there’s zero chance Staley sticks around now.