Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
To be fair the conversation about AD came up from somebody who needed to learn the basics of AD to keep their job, which is a pretty good reason.

Though yeah as somebody who recently transferred into sysadmin work from netadmin, I personally have no intention of learning more about AD nor accepting a job somewhere that still uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

LochNessMonster posted:

The gall of these people. Congrats on your interview and good riddance.

Sounds like another great place to not give notice. Just don’t come in after your next pay check. Ghost those assholes.

The look on his face when I told him I had removed all my tools, dropped my Zoho subscription, and taken my 20tb desktop setup home with me was worth it. I fully intend to drop them the day I am officially hired. I WAS originally going to give notice and do the right thing, before the letter, but this recent disrespect means no kid gloves as far as I'm concerned.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Blurb3947 posted:

I got to keep a bunch of to-be-recycled equipment that I ended up using as a homelab or spares including 15 SAS 2tb server drives. Had about a decade of use but I only wanted 3 lol

Also scored a few 4th gen intel Zotac machines and a few with passive cooling.

I currently have a machine I explicitly asked my company's owner to keep which I stuffed full of old client hard drives for a total 6tb internal, a seperate 4tb server hdd, a 2tb hdd, and an 8TB MyBook a residential client gifted me. I have more storage than I know what to do with.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't go posting that in the NAS thread, they'll get a good chuckle.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't go posting that in the NAS thread, they'll get a good chuckle.

It’s a Scott Alan Miller Storage Device! A spiceworks original!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My boss keeps telling me I can take decommissioned laptops for home use, but I'm like... what use dude lol. The hell am I gonna do with a bunch of burned out Latitudes sitting in a pile

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

johnny park posted:

My boss keeps telling me I can take decommissioned laptops for home use, but I'm like... what use dude lol. The hell am I gonna do with a bunch of burned out Latitudes sitting in a pile

Sell em for $150 a pop.

If you think I’m joking I just sold a Surface Pro 4 to a bar to do their bills on for $220.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Susat posted:

Holy poo poo I have made waves by inspiring other people to go as I do and caused an accidental mutiny

This is developing and I'll update tomorrow

Amazing and hilarious, you're doing the lord's work against lovely bosses and companies

It wouldn't surprise me if it led to Nvidia dropping them and the company collapsing if enough people bail

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Facebook marketplace and Craigslist will allow you to unload anything for a quick buck. At worst you can take them and donate to a local charity that provides technology to under privileged kids.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s what I do with desktops. I’ve repurposed maybe 40 desktops and worked with the local food bank who has distributed them all across the state.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MJP posted:

Not a therapist, but in about 80% seriousness, if you can easily and unironically hear the first few bars of "The End" by the Doors playing over a work memory, and it doesn't give you a chuckle, then the answer is yes.

"I wanted a career, and for my sins, they gave me one."

jaegerx posted:

Nah. Nine inch nails every day is exactly the same

When that’s your song on your drive into the work then you quit

Actually I can link the exact sounds/tone that I link with one of the jobs that probably gave me PTSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2W1JL2JpTk

I was the IT manager for a 24/7 call center. Crank had just came out, so I downloaded the mp3 and set it as my work ringtone on my Blackberry Pearl. That job was years behind me when Crank 2 came out, and I had an anxiety attack when I started hearing that ringtone on the crank 2 commercials (even tho its not 100% the same)

johnny park posted:

as others have said, you can flip those for a tidy bit of money on Facebook or Craigslist easily, or you could donate them to charity. If you decide to donate to charity, it could be a sizeable tax writeoff - i donated my CCIE lab and basically got a tax writeoff that was 2x what I would've gotten flipping that trash on eBay

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
so instead of hiring another helpdesk person (which we actually need) they're gonna look for someone willing to do work-to-hire, non-management position on sharepoint, cybersecurity, AAD migration, and helpdesk, all in one role. Am I way off base in thinking that it's a weird rear end hodgepodge that they'll never fill with anyone competent?

but apparently SSO is inherently insecure so maybe I just don't know anything about computers and my boss is right

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You’ll never find that person for under 100k and even then.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

You’ll never find that person for under 100k and even then.

:hmmyes: I can't imagine a regular career trajectory that would enable someone to learn all of those roles well enough to be effective. Sharepoint and cybersecurity are related about as much as dogs and whales

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

"Having obtained high proficiency in cyber security and in AAD migration, I am excited to confront the next step in my professional development, helpdesk."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's a much more clever way than I was going to put it. Mine involved printers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The days of the dude wearing the RTFM shirt who hasn't showered in 5 days who also hacks the local ISP during off hours and will also clear your paper jams while complaining about "lusers" for weed money are far behind us.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the annoying thing is that i want to do all those things, except for sharepoint. but my boss said it isn't intended to block my professional development so i'm sure it's fine

it's also taken nearly a year to convince her we need this position so i can't wait for the popcorn when I GTFO

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hear you, I've definitely been more that generalist while still doing helpdesk. My advice would be to stop asking for permission, start ignoring your day to day, and do what you want to do. The problem is when it comes to budget. Hard to do things if you have no money.

In reality you should just do nothing and get certs. Coming from someone who got their first cert this year after... 20 years or so in the industry.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

cw: taxidermied animal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DsjfGOq7OY

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Susat posted:

Holy poo poo I have made waves by inspiring other people to go as I do and caused an accidental mutiny

:justpost:

This is the outcome everyone hopes that’ll happen when they quit, but hardly ever happpens. Really curious to see how this plays out!

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

The look on his face when I told him I had removed all my tools, dropped my Zoho subscription, and taken my 20tb desktop setup home with me was worth it. I fully intend to drop them the day I am officially hired. I WAS originally going to give notice and do the right thing, before the letter, but this recent disrespect means no kid gloves as far as I'm concerned.

Respect works both ways but apparently your boss doesn’t realize that. He’ll be in for a rude awakening. Prepare to get gaslit, verbally assualted and whatever he can think of to try and trick you back into that toxic hellhole.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got told yeaterday that an upcoming fulltime position on campus wont be available since the department is limited to one hiring per fiscal year and grabbed a guy to fill a listing thats been open for two :rolleyes:

So Ive got about 4 months left, then 6 months rent saved. Guess I should update resume.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dandywalken posted:

Got told yeaterday that an upcoming fulltime position on campus wont be available since the department is limited to one hiring per fiscal year and grabbed a guy to fill a listing thats been open for two :rolleyes:

So Ive got about 4 months left, then 6 months rent saved. Guess I should update resume.

Start looking now, stop spending anymore effort than the absolute bare minimum and put all your extra time in applying for a new job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not one, but two juicy yotj stories for christmas.

This thread definitely delivers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yesterday was 3 months to the day that I was "fired". A manager that likes me has had me working on "projects" for him since that time, but in reality we just haven't spoken so I've been free to job hunt and play video games.

I guess the gravy train is coming to an end though, starting today I'm "joining" a different team, though with the way my prospects are going I'm not sure it will be for more than a week or two. Here's to hoping I can squeeze in a yotj before the year ends.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

FISHMANPET posted:

Yesterday was 3 months to the day that I was "fired". A manager that likes me has had me working on "projects" for him since that time, but in reality we just haven't spoken so I've been free to job hunt and play video games.

I guess the gravy train is coming to an end though, starting today I'm "joining" a different team, though with the way my prospects are going I'm not sure it will be for more than a week or two. Here's to hoping I can squeeze in a yotj before the year ends.

We believe in you, friend. Let’s get that YOTJ hat trick.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm a stupid newbie, what's YOTJ?

Edit before someone goes "Nothing much, what's YOTJ with you?"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Year of the Job.

It was coined during a particular high turnover year where goons were getting newer, hotter, younger jobs and the vibes were good. It's become a catchall to moving on to better jobs

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Handsome Ralph posted:

Edit before someone goes "Nothing much, what's YOTJ with you?"

Year of the Job, since getting a job, much less a good one, is in short supply here lately.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Often expressed in shorthand as :yotj:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i think the year of the job was like... 2012? 2011?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Susat posted:

:f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nothing much, what's YOTJ with you?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

my boss is actually cool and reasonable and my work culture is generally p good.

sucks that Im going to have to leave next year because as nice as they are im still severely underpaid and C.R.E.A.M

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had a welcome meeting with the new team, which on my best day I'm not prepared for, but I didn't sleep well last night so I felt extra lovely. It's such a weird situation because everybody loves me, except the person who was my direct manager. The team is talking about all the work they want me to do and I'm like "you know I got fired, right? I'm probably only here for a couple more weeks."

I've got one potential job that's gone as far as a background check on me but "the selection process has been unexpectedly delayed for a short time period" (lol public sector) so not sure when that will unclog. I have a "meet the CEO and the team" final interview at a second place on Monday, and what I'm sure is a final interview "meet the CTO and the team" on Tuesday, so things are looking up for ol' Liz Lemon!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

vanity slug posted:

Wow I was in high school then

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

vanity slug posted:

we're only one Lunar New Year away from the next one then.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

johnny park posted:

Use one as a Kodi box for your TV. There are ways to do :files: without having to keep a massive home storage archive. Or just use it as a smart TV substitute.

Donate the rest to charity or offer them in your town/metro area's Buy Nothing group on Facebook. If it boots and functions, I guarantee you there's a kid or family that could absolutely use it for schoolwork, everyday web browsing, etc.

You might (MIGHT, I'm not sure) be able to wipe/reinstall whatever Windows version if the serial's still on the laptop or in the BIOS somewhere, or if you're feeling really charitable, the SA-Mart goon Windows license retailer will sell you a regular old legit Win 10 or 11 license for like $10.

Plus if you're giving it away you don't get the usual "is this available" ghosting or horrible lowballing that comes with selling stuff.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Year of the Job.

It was coined during a particular high turnover year where goons were getting newer, hotter, younger jobs and the vibes were good. It's become a catchall to moving on to better jobs

IIRC it came out of A Ticket Came In... back then and became a subculture thing. I was lurking that thread around then and was finally getting my certs in; the goon zeitgeist was really helpful in finally getting out of the helpdesk and into sysadmin. All-stars like the Spec Bucket, Moey, and I forget who it was that was at the horrible TV station suck in the South finally getting out and into better job & gender - these were all the original YotJ heroes.

YotJ is not a time period, it is a state of mind. Given that this came out of the still-fresh post-2008 world, it's really nifty to look back on it/see it's still some kind of positive motivation.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 15, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Susat posted:

This generally means it wasn't just you or your perceptions, and you made the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

MJP posted:

Use one as a Kodi box for your TV. There are ways to do :files: without having to keep a massive home storage archive. Or just use it as a smart TV substitute.

Donate the rest to charity or offer them in your town/metro area's Buy Nothing group on Facebook. If it boots and functions, I guarantee you there's a kid or family that could absolutely use it for schoolwork, everyday web browsing, etc.

You might (MIGHT, I'm not sure) be able to wipe/reinstall whatever Windows version if the serial's still on the laptop or in the BIOS somewhere, or if you're feeling really charitable, the SA-Mart goon Windows license retailer will sell you a regular old legit Win 10 or 11 license for like $10.

Plus if you're giving it away you don't get the usual "is this available" ghosting or horrible lowballing that comes with selling stuff.

IIRC it came out of A Ticket Came In... back then and became a subculture thing. I was lurking that thread around then and was finally getting my certs in; the goon zeitgeist was really helpful in finally getting out of the helpdesk and into sysadmin. All-stars like the Spec Bucket, Moey, and I forget who it was that was at the horrible TV station suck in the South finally getting out and into better job & gender - these were all the original YotJ heroes.

YotJ is not a time period, it is a state of mind. Given that this came out of the still-fresh post-2008 world, it's really nifty to look back on it/see it's still some kind of positive motivation.

Remembering that I was reading that thread in middle school and feeling a mix of shame and pride that I eventually followed my heart into computer touching.

Also offering my services as a professional gender swapper, I'll get you out of that beat up old role and into a sports car of a self-identity with no money down!!