Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

wasn't the story that after the sony acquisition, bungie convinced them that they were competing with each other with tlou online and destiny 2 and were like, "leave this to us, you bought bungie to be your service game studio"

Bungie invoked the Sword Logic against Naughty Dog. Aiat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

still on the zelda kick

we only ever actually got two (and a half) genuine 3D zelda games that controlled normally: ocarina of time, majora's mask, and wind waker.

the other two 3D zelda games: twilight princess and skyward sword were plagued by horrible controller wagging controls which, for me, made them basically dead on arrival. i wanted to like twilight princess but absolutely abhorred waving the wiimote to swing my sword. i didn't even bother with skyward sword.

so after two failed attempts at making motion controls a thing, nintendo never wound up delivering on what they teased at e3 2001. we got wind waker (which i really liked) and two bullshit gimmick games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIa79bTDuV4

then, apparently the formula "got stale"(??) but again, the formula was never fully leaned into before they said "gently caress it: open world tech physics engine. lose the storyline!"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why didn't you play GameCube Twilight Princess

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got Twilight Princess on Gamecube so it was actually playable, unlike Skyward Sword

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

twilight princess came out on gamecube + the wii waggle on that one is okay because its just a little shake now and then and you get the benefit of, the massively more comfortable split control scheme. skyward sword is the annoying one

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

skyward sword is the definition of a stale rear end video game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Zelda design in Skyward Sword is a top 5 Zelda design.

That's about it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

top 5 master sword design, because its a cute girl now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I prefer when the sword doesn't be Navi but I absolutely love a talking cap

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1735432075400867842?s=20

You have about two weeks to buy the Friday the 13th game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I really liked how the skyward sword antagonist was eventually revealed to be himself a sword (but evil)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the groundward sword

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the only thing that stops an evil sword with a guy, is a good sword with a guy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wii twilight princess' lame waggle sword controls were offset by its good bow aim controls. I don't think wii motion controls added anything to most games but it was legitimately really good for aiming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i think computer mice should have wiimote sensors built in because I agree, great way to aim

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

stev posted:

The statement says they stopped because they want to carry on making single player games and not become a full time GaaS studio.

loving good. I'm glad they made this decision now before it was too late.
yeah, it's a lose-lose if they made it. either it fails & they eat poo poo, or it's a success and they immediately chain the entire studio to the live service mines until the gas runs low and the studio burns down. no thanks.

I guess we're mostly past the point where a AAA studio like that can make a game that "just" has a competitive MP gamemode and not have to turn it into a GaaS pitch.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

Wii twilight princess' lame waggle sword controls were offset by its good bow aim controls. I don't think wii motion controls added anything to most games but it was legitimately really good for aiming.

3ds gyro was god tier for bow aiming. Aced the Majora's Mask 3D bow minigame thing first try, probably would have taken me a million attempts on N64

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

wasn't the story that after the sony acquisition, bungie convinced them that they were competing with each other with tlou online and destiny 2 and were like, "leave this to us, you bought bungie to be your service game studio"

And that is proving to be a mistake, everyone is tired of Destiny 2 now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Owl Inspector posted:

This is why Metroid Prime 3 rules

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
We went from the era where every game had to have some tacked on multiplayer to the era where even games with established multiplayer modes cant have them any more. Sucks

What are these Sony service games even going to be? Do people expect Twisted Metal reboot from the Destruction All-Stars team to really do numbers? Fairgame$ is gonna be the breakthrough hit?

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
I don't understand why everyone says the Zelda formula is stale.

Oh, btw, I haven't played a Zelda game since 2006.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sony really needs to rethink their live service attempts. It’s not going to work for them.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
ToTK has four dots where you go and do all the stuff you expect from a Zelda game. It's just there's a bunch of fun stuff to do on your way there so each dot takes 15-20 hours to complete...

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Strawberry Panda posted:

ToTK has four dots where you go and do all the stuff you expect from a Zelda game. It's just there's a bunch of fun stuff to do on your way there so each dot takes 15-20 hours to complete...

LINK! im STUCK IN A HOLE!!! hello???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fortnite’s got Zombie and The Dog Days Are Over today. Pretty good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

External Organs posted:

LINK! im STUCK IN A HOLE!!! hello???

What websites have you been to recently

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zombie and The Dog Days Are Over are fantastic songs but they're both a bit repetitive for a rhythm game

Shinjobi posted:

What websites have you been to recently

in that case wouldn't Link be the one stuck in the hole?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i cant wait to hang some dongdongos

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone tell me what the easiest way to post an image using the iPhone app on this godforsaken site is now.

I just asked this question a few days ago in the Slay the Spire thread! I don’t really understand what this is but I managed to make it work and I’m an idiot with regards to lots of things, but especially with knowing how to do things with phones.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846968&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=539#post536463937

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

i cant wait to hang some dongdongos

You can stream this on Twitch now I think

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What are these Sony service games even going to be? Do people expect Twisted Metal reboot from the Destruction All-Stars team to really do numbers? Fairgame$ is gonna be the breakthrough hit?

Only one of them has to be a hit. That's why Sony made the "10 live service games by 2026" plan - they were going to throw as many as possible at the wall to see what sticks. If only one game makes it through such a gauntlet to become the next top 5 GaaS game while the rest of them all end up losing money, that's still a win and worth the gamble in their eyes because the potential profits are off the charts.

This is a more high-stakes version of the numbers game that making traditional AAA single player games tends to be.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
In TotK you can take selfies on the dragons while wearing funny outfits. GotY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Capcom just because you made the water room easier didn't mean you needed to make up for it with an annoying boss that throws rocks through walls and a garden maze filled with annoying dogs that can walk through walls.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Asgard's Wrath 2 got a 10 on ign. They are calling it the best VR rpg and one of the best of any type. 2023 had to get one more in there eh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am going to be playing it tomorrow, gotta keep my headset charged

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Title makes it sound like a spiritual sequel to Asura's Wrath, but if that's the case, FF16 beat them to it.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Shard posted:

Asgard's Wrath 2 got a 10 on ign. They are calling it the best VR rpg and one of the best of any type. 2023 had to get one more in there eh

Can the Quest 2 play it or nah?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_MwB-_AOo
:allears:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
TotK is GOTY just for the Colgera boss theme alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Me and some friends just got into Darktide, are there any good videos out there that explain the stats, mechanics, tips and tricks etc? I'm wading through a sea of search results from ages ago whining about the game that are all irrelevant now that it's effectively fully released.