Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm still so tickled that a trilobite with an umbilical cord was a plot point

I was really hoping to see all the different EEs throughout history. What kind of dinosaur was it? Did the trilobyte EE invite another trilobyte to watch the end, until the last flames flicker out?

Anyway just finished this game and I think it's gonna stay with me for a while. I felt so bad for everyone by the end, and grateful to be alive. That CHVRCHES song at the end is just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I'll probably never stop thinking about this game, it bounces around in my head all the time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Marx Headroom posted:

I was really hoping to see all the different EEs throughout history. What kind of dinosaur was it? Did the trilobyte EE invite another trilobyte to watch the end, until the last flames flicker out?

I think a big part of Amelie's motivation is that she's the first fully sapient EE so she's the first who can be driven completely mad by the isolation of waiting for the end to happen "properly." And she's already well on her way and only knows it's going to get worse, so time to start the Final Stranding now.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Is there a good full spoiler plot summary or explainer anywhere? I absolutely adore this game and am on a second play through (something I never do for other games) but every now and then someone will say something like "EE" and I'm like wtf is that I don't remember that?!?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

klen dool posted:

Is there a good full spoiler plot summary or explainer anywhere? I absolutely adore this game and am on a second play through (something I never do for other games) but every now and then someone will say something like "EE" and I'm like wtf is that I don't remember that?!?

I'll just say, did you get to Heartman yet? If not, just wait until then, he will literally infodump so much stuff for you

Edit: oh second playthrough lol. Well

For EE, it stands for Extinction Entity

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Really, just look up Sam or Amelie or almost any other plot-important character on the Fandom wiki, they're mad for spilling all the beans over and over and over on any page where it's remotely relevant over there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I'll just say, did you get to Heartman yet? If not, just wait until then, he will literally infodump so much stuff for you

Edit: oh second playthrough lol. Well

For EE, it stands for Extinction Entity

The game does kind of have a bad habit of explaining what an acronym means exactly once, in a cutscene rather than an e-mail/text document (so you can't review it). Hell sometimes they never actually say it out loud, just in a parenthetical in the subtitles so if you don't have them turned on the game just never tells you what it stands for. I didn't realize BT stood for "Beached Thing" until my second playthrough because it's mentioned so early in the game that I just didn't have the capacity to take it in with all the other infodumping happening.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I still never remember when Lou starts

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oscar Wild posted:

I still never remember when Lou starts

I think shortly before Deadman has to take BB for a while, but it does seem to just come out of nowhere.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Playing this again; I swore that Sam was able to sit on the cargo catapult and be fired from it?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

Playing this again; I swore that Sam was able to sit on the cargo catapult and be fired from it?

That's another Kojima game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btIr4p4FqK4

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Deleted my 200+ hour save and started the DC from the beginning for the first time and incidentally I'm getting YT recommendations for DS videos and this one is a couple of years old now but really great. Some of these I knew, some I'd probably forgotten about, but some I super never knew. This game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDRIyEZM8c

E: And this right after, nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqMEueEPTM

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 9, 2023

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
A24 is making a film adaptation of Death Stranding.

https://www.kojimaproductions.jp/en/A24-announcement

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope it's a new story, I'm sick of adaptations just being "the game, only you can't play it." The novelty of seeing moments from a game done in live action can only go so far.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

If it's anything like the book adaptation it'll have plenty of stuff that isn't depicted in the games.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

A post-apoc movie where it's oily ghosts and age rain instead of zombies would be an interesting change.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
PISS ON GHOSTS, ONLY ON IMAX

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The true story of Death Stranding is how you the player managed to get from A to B, or the time you tripped in a river and had to grab all your boxes, or when you built a zip line network, not any of this plot stuff. And if I wanted the plot again I'd watch a cutscene compilation.

More money for Koji Pro to make weird poo poo though so I guess it's good

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shoehead posted:

The true story of Death Stranding is how you the player managed to get from A to B, or the time you tripped in a river and had to grab all your boxes, or when you built a zip line network, not any of this plot stuff. And if I wanted the plot again I'd watch a cutscene compilation.

Yeah

But I think I do need a cutscene compilation cause I forgot most of the plot and to be honest I found it somewhat confusing in the first place and was kinda lost by the end of the game

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
A Death Stranding movie but it's just Conan in his bunker performing bits for 2 hours.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Looking loving sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLstJHlC4U

Also, Lou is dead?! HIGGGGSSSS And George Miller is in it!

Kojima is also working on a new stealth action espionage game for Playstation. Holy gently caress!

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 31, 2024

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Nobody swings for the fences like Kojima. loving no one

Trailer owns

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Death Stranding 2.22
You can (not) advance

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sam better be able to use that sweet guitar weapon too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe hideo kojima's going to physically force me to buy a ps5

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sure okay posted:

Nobody swings for the fences like Kojima. loving no one

Trailer owns

Yeah I'm so excited. Death Stranding may be in my top 10 favorite games ever made, so I'm so extremely hyped for DS2, and this trailer just reaffirmed that.

Not until 2025 though. GOD :negative:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1489125516447682570

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I can't believe hideo kojima's going to physically force me to buy a ps5

The game will probably be released a year later on PC

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I cannot wait for DS 2 to be a sequel to the first game and for the "WTH it's a walking simulator?!" takes again from a certain type of gamer, unironically.

Though at this stage with the first game I'd resigned myself to not playing it for a lack of free time and BOY did that change

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Big fan of stop-motion puppet man.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Interesting trailer because there was pretty much zero focus on climbing and going all in on story, context and characters. We are on some kind of trans-dimensional ship now and travelling into a new continent? Higgs is back from the beach shooting electricity with his guitar axe and has a force of samurai robots? Also liked how one of the first things they do is go "This is the armoury" and show a huge variety of large guns, then proceed to say "There isn't much of a need for human porters anymore", strongly implying that it is going to be a different kind of game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lou...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There was delivery gameplay in the trailer though. I very much doubt this is going to be different from the first game in that regard.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Interesting trailer because there was pretty much zero focus on climbing and going all in on story, context and characters. We are on some kind of trans-dimensional ship now and travelling into a new continent? Higgs is back from the beach shooting electricity with his guitar axe and has a force of samurai robots? Also liked how one of the first things they do is go "This is the armoury" and show a huge variety of large guns, then proceed to say "There isn't much of a need for human porters anymore", strongly implying that it is going to be a different kind of game.
There's not much need for human porters on the network. We're still going to have to do all the exact same gameplay to establish the network around the world.

I was actually surprised that there were a couple bits that did seem to be gameplay- walking on the dunes, the flood washing away that bridge.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Also liked how one of the first things they do is go "This is the armoury" and show a huge variety of large guns, then proceed to say "There isn't much of a need for human porters anymore", strongly implying that it is going to be a different kind of game.

That's also the sort of thing you say right before something happens to disable whatever you replaced the porters with, requiring their reappearance.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they're pretty clearly implying there's going to be more focus on action than the first - all the talk of sticks as well as rope, but all the walking sim stuff very much seems to be there too

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i hope sam and the puppet form a close bond over the course of the journey and then the puppet dies and it breaks him as a person

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I like that our snooty emo French girlfriend now has a... tiny hands scarf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mrmcd posted:

I like that our snooty emo French girlfriend now has a... tiny hands scarf?

https://x.com/xenosaga7/status/1752835423788007524?s=46