Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/networ...ignores-reality

A new three-port network switch designed for audiophiles has become available to purchase. Priced at an astronomical $4,349, the Innuos PhoenixNET comes with a multitude of eyebrow-raising audio quality claims about signal purity, low noise, better instrument separation, and enhanced realism. However, adding insult to our already injured intelligence, this premium-priced switch offers paltry 100 Mbps performance, as it the company claims that older / slower technology “results in lower operating noise floor compared to Gigabit.”

found a pictures of the internals, surprisingly it appears to not just be an off-the-shelf switch PCB bodged in there

points for effort i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

repiv posted:

found a pictures of the internals, surprisingly it appears to not just be an off-the-shelf switch PCB bodged in there

i will make this for half that price for anyone who wants it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The call with the OEM they're having make this must have been hilarious, like " you know we can do all this stuff with like 2 chips and a wall wart, right?"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also lol at them covering up the part numbers on the main digital components, top secret generic broadcom switch chip do not steal

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

qirex posted:

The call with the OEM they're having make this must have been hilarious, like " you know we can do all this stuff with like 2 chips and a wall wart, right?"

I'm not trusting you over Doctor Sean Jacobs

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

repiv posted:

also lol at them covering up the part numbers on the main digital components, top secret generic broadcom switch chip do not steal

There's a guitar overdrive pedal known as the Klon Centaur that the creator put goop all over the board to prevent reverse engineering.

Of course someone eventually did just scrape off the goop and discover some basic bitch TL072 opamps and some germanium clipping diodes. There is a clever use of a dual gang pot for the gain control that also functions as a wet/dry mix. So instead of buying one for $$$$$$ you can just build one yourself for like $50.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They copied the "put a giant toroidal power supply in something that will never need it" trick from Denafrips who started putting them in DACs, you know, those things that can run perfectly off a cell phone.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Armacham posted:

There's a guitar overdrive pedal known as the Klon Centaur that the creator put goop all over the board to prevent reverse engineering.

Of course someone eventually did just scrape off the goop and discover some basic bitch TL072 opamps and some germanium clipping diodes. There is a clever use of a dual gang pot for the gain control that also functions as a wet/dry mix. So instead of buying one for $$$$$$ you can just build one yourself for like $50.

Stupid as this is, for guitar stuff, I'm vastly more sympathetic. Creating distortion in a specific and pleasing way is much closer to art in 2023 than fidelity is.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

i will make this for half that price for anyone who wants it.

Pfft, I'd do it but charge ten times as much!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

im the generic 1 cent cable that somehow doesn't matter in a narrative where everything sonically matters

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Palladium posted:

im the generic 1 cent cable that somehow doesn't matter in a narrative where everything sonically matters

I’m the 2000 word diatribe explaining why a generic 1 cent cable actually has a better sonic plenum than the expensive ones, after we cull the 30% that don’t meet our standards

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

limiting it to 100mbit is brilliant actually because in a few years they can release an even better version that only supports 10mbit

after that, audiophile token ring networking

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

repiv posted:

after that, audiophile token ring networking

I will install audiophile grade token ring and appletalk networks for a relative pittance compared to The Other Guys

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Solar flares = bit flips

Why would a hierarchical star ever make sense?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

qirex posted:

They copied the "put a giant toroidal power supply in something that will never need it" trick from Denafrips who started putting them in DACs, you know, those things that can run perfectly off a cell phone.
It makes it heavy, and as we all know weight means quality.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Stupid as this is, for guitar stuff, I'm vastly more sympathetic. Creating distortion in a specific and pleasing way is much closer to art in 2023 than fidelity is.

I agree with this, and I also want to add that it's the creative trial and error work that warrants the price for boutique effects, not the actual components. It's kinda like pharma research, but less morally questionable because no one needs this stuff to live.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I will install audiophile grade token ring and appletalk networks for a relative pittance compared to The Other Guys

I don't think you understand how the audiophile mind works. The high price is the main ingredient in the soundstage. If I just buy a regular switch, which works exactly like this, my listening experience will be borderline traumatic. If you want to compete, you gotta be more expensive and more verbose.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BonHair posted:

I agree with this, and I also want to add that it's the creative trial and error work that warrants the price for boutique effects, not the actual components. It's kinda like pharma research, but less morally questionable because no one needs this stuff to live.

I don't think you understand how the audiophile mind works. The high price is the main ingredient in the soundstage. If I just buy a regular switch, which works exactly like this, my listening experience will be borderline traumatic. If you want to compete, you gotta be more expensive and more verbose.

I'm here for the poseurs, it's really closer to charity the prices I work at.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Some good stuff here.
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2023/12/08/2024-stocking-stuffers-for-audiophiles-buyers-guide-2024/?amp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm scoffing at merely one release of Aja on that list, they should have included at least three. Also laughing at the $100 record brush.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

quote:

I’ve been a proponent of Furutech’s NCF technology for many years now, and it’s surprising how many ways this Japanese company has applied their “nano crystal formula” material–which controls both electrical and mechanical resonances–to new types of products. Each year brings a new NCF application to the line, and while some, like the NCF cabling, can be a little too expensive to qualify as mere stocking stuffers, there are two new products I’ve been using in 2023 and they will both easily slip into your preferred red-and-white velvet sock.

Man I wonder how this company keeps coming up with new ways to use their nano crystal resonance bullshit, couldn't possibly be through the medium of just putting out another thing with that label on knowing the people who'll shill it will never investigate it lest it make their previous recommendations look stupid.

quote:

The Furutech 106-S NCF outlet cover is $160, the GTX-D NCF outlet is $221, the NCF wall plate is $176 and the Clear Line RCA Line Optimizers are $225 each.

The outlet cover is $160. The outlet cover. Not the outlet itself, just the plastic nano-crystal frame that goes around it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

looks like the size of an RTL 8306e 10/100 chip

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're doing the world a service by using up the 10/100 chips that nobody wants because gigabit chips have cost 10 cents for a decade+

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I used to work for a chip company that had a 10/100 legacy product line which just kept making money long after everyone expected it to completely die off. Turns out that when you get design wins in several long-lived products and your customers really don't want to update their board designs for no reason, since 100 is still enough Ethernet for the job, you get a nice long tail.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of customer is often willing to pay more than a modern gigabit ethernet chip would cost. Not a lot more, but as long as the fleecing is only modest they'll put up with it just to avoid the expense and hassle of a redesign.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
100mbps max devices is still extremely common in the Path of Exile Power over Ethernet market

weird how "i can detect -300db" jitterbugs haven't caught on that yet

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Artisanal network interconnects for sale, already burnt in! $10.000 plus shipping. No tire kickers or talkers, I know what I've got!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Palladium posted:

100mbps max devices is still extremely common in the Path of Exile Power over Ethernet market

weird how "i can detect -300db" jitterbugs haven't caught on that yet

apparently LG is still cheaping out by putting 10/100 NICs in their expensive OLED TVs, it's an actual problem for linux ISO enthusiasts because streaming raw 4K bluray rips over the network can saturate a 100mbit link

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

repiv posted:

apparently LG is still cheaping out by putting 10/100 NICs in their expensive OLED TVs, it's an actual problem for linux ISO enthusiasts because streaming raw 4K bluray rips over the network can saturate a 100mbit link

Same with Sony, their Bravia Core movie service requires 115 MB for the best quality but wired maxes out at 100 MB.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sucks for in-home game streaming too, the video encoders on modern graphics cards are capable of pushing far more than 100mbit

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

repiv posted:

I mean... sorry for the grognard comment here but no TV manufactured these days with their closed source OS's and built-in mics + cameras facing your living room should ever be directly connected to your home network and therefore the internet anyway.

If you need to stream tons of Linux ISOs that have been converted to video format to your expensive state of the art OLED TV, go ahead and spend just a bit more and get a raspberry Pi or something and connect it via HDMI.

Hell just being able to connect a wireless keyboard to type on instead of having to use those alphabetically ordered on-screen keyboards you see in modern TV OS's that you have to use with a remote that has a built-in 2 second delay between key press and something happening on screen would be worth the cost alone.

Running power to the raspberry PI might interfere with the signal purity of your two $10,000 power cables' integrated resonance crystals though (each one powering one of a pair of highly sensitive monoblock tube poweramps of course), just something to consider.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 14, 2023

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's why I use an Apple ][ as my HTPC

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2022/10/aiyima-a08-pro.html

Amazing how this guy can go "this cheapo Chinese Class-D chip amp is just-as-good or better than my megabuck tubes" without also going "maybe my cable tweaks are bullshit".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Palladium posted:

Amazing how this guy can go "this cheapo Chinese Class-D chip amp is just-as-good or better than my megabuck tubes" without also going "maybe my cable tweaks are bullshit".

lol you found Mederlock’s blog?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Palladium posted:

Well. Just bought one of these for £100 on Amazon for my gaming PC, so thanks thread. Looks brilliant!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

trilobite terror posted:

lol you found Mederlock’s blog?

ew no

gimme measurements or give me death https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima-a08-pro-amplifier-review.38720/

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://luxurylaunches.com/home_improvement/savior-seventy-five.php

quote:

Pricing of the bespoke product will be available on request.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 19, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Perfect for watching repeats of The Repair Shop as you drift off into slumber

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But does it have a subwoofer under the mattress?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Savior Beds and KEF is the only collaboration that bed will ever see

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For price available on request I'd at least hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nielsm posted:

But does it have a subwoofer under the mattress?

It has eight!

I just love the use of the word “seamless” when it’s clearly just some of their [quite good] in-wall speakers mounted in a box. I guess we’re supposed to be too dazzled by the Raf Simmons fabric to notice.

That sure looks like a seam to me.