Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Well if I'm in a face hugger rich environment, I will be wearing a helmet with a neck brace. Or at least some kind of high tech mask.

In this five-part video series, I will be exploring how a full suit of medieval armor is in fact the best defense against alien facehuggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^^^ The facehugger in the first movie gets through Kane's (presumably robust, reinforced future material) space suit no problem.

Yeah I think they're supposed to be freakishly strong and fast, doesn't it take like three marines to pry one off of Ripley? I always thought the most dicey part of that scene was how come it didn't just crawl up one of their arms and find purchase there? They're able to throw it across the room pretty easily. Plus, in most media we see them attack they ambush from the shadows. I think they evolved (or were designed by David :jerkbag:) to be the perfect implantation vector, you're not swatting one away very easily.

What's the first mention of W-Y's 'bio-weapons division' in the franchise? I don't think Ash spells it out that they have one in the first film but maybe it's in the novelization? To my memory Ripley is the first one to explicitly use the phrase when describing Burke's nefarious plan.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

I played SNES Jurassic Park with my best friend growing up, weeks long summer adventure to beat it. There's a point where you have to reboot the system. This was before we knew anything about the internet, and there probably wasn't much out there at the time anyways. Weeks and maybe even months went by of us spending our Saturdays getting to that point then getting stuck. We'd then trace back our steps all over the drat map looking for something to help us reboot the system. Little did we know, all we had to do, was click the drat "boot" on the screen, to re-boot the system.

I beat this game exactly once, and never touched it again. gently caress that triceratops.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

redshirt posted:

Well if I'm in a face hugger rich environment, I will be wearing a helmet with a neck brace. Or at least some kind of high tech mask.

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Apesuit

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I beat this game exactly once, and never touched it again. gently caress that triceratops.

Was that the game where you at one point went from an overhead view to a loving first person night vision horror segment fighting raptors indoors? That part hosed me up as a child.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why "apesuit"? Do they think so poorly of Colonial Marines?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

redshirt posted:

Why "apesuit"? Do they think so poorly of Colonial Marines?

Technically the only screen canon use is by WY security guys on Fury 161.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Biplane posted:

Was that the game where you at one point went from an overhead view to a loving first person night vision horror segment fighting raptors indoors? That part hosed me up as a child.

That’s the one! With dark rooms that required a battery for your night vision goggles, otherwise entering the dark void just gave you a dinosaur roar and the “you died” screen. You needed a new battery for each building too, I think.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

The trick is the tail is constricting your neck, which I suspect will cause your reflexes to gasp for air & give the facehugger an opportunity.

Now that I'm thinking of it, did the facehugger melt Kane's helmet when it attacked him?

Yeah it burns through his helmet; you can hear the sizzle when it hits the helmet and then you can see the aftermath when they cut the helmet off of him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah it burns through his helmet; you can hear the sizzle when it hits the helmet and then you can see the aftermath when they cut the helmet off of him.

It sounds reasonable that the creature can spray acid on demand like this, but the terrifying nitpicking pedant in me thinks that the difference between 'melting through the faceplate' and 'oops melting through the actual face' implies a degree of control I find unconvincing.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

redshirt posted:

I really enjoyed it. The motley crew of characters, surprise Morpheus, Predator on Predator crime.

I thought Brody played a pretty great action anti-hero too.

Yeah, it's almost like someone made a really good one-off RPG and filled it with 80's archetypes. Big Russian, yakuza, sniper lady, etc.

I love it. Walton Goggins is so good at playing terrible people.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s the one! With dark rooms that required a battery for your night vision goggles, otherwise entering the dark void just gave you a dinosaur roar and the “you died” screen. You needed a new battery for each building too, I think.

Utterly terrifying for child me lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I've always loved these things because the helmets look loving awesome and also their unique "gently caress off facehuggers trying to facehug me from the right only!" design

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Icon Of Sin posted:

As kids we never actually beat it. But a few years ago, with the help of save points on the emulator, we made a whole Saturday of it, and completed our childhood dream.

also thinking about Aliens while talking about JP. I apologize to the group, I'll stay on topic from here on out

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

aliens landing in the triassic has some legs as at least a comic spinoff. trexomorph

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Batman fights an alien/crocodile hybrid and crocodiles are basically dinosaurs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Owlbear Camus posted:

aliens landing in the triassic has some legs as at least a comic spinoff. trexomorph

T-Rex was Cretaceous. You could have, like...Herrerasaurus I guess?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

If a facehugger got one of these, it’d be close enough. They’re up to 5ft tall.

https://youtu.be/ukTUG2Okqi4?si=D2VDJIW-Y0bw236e

Also, it’s B. rex :haw:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xenomrph posted:

If you step through the actual facehug scene you can actually see they animated the facehugger burning through the faceplate of the suit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Got this in the mail today.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I read the Alien novelization long, long, long before I ever saw the movie, and in the book Kane's last thoughts are basically 'oh god, its burning through the helmet'

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I like that "Alienator Missiles" is trademarked.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

I like that "Alienator Missiles" is trademarked.

What’s even better is his character bio card on the back of the packaging.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

I had that! Isn't it called the Bug rocker or something?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I had that! Isn't it called the Bug rocker or something?

What do you mean?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

I swear I heard a commercial or read one of the backs of one of those and saw bug rocker on it. When I was 12 or so.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Xenomrph posted:

What’s even better is his character bio card on the back of the packaging.

It's weird they list his home planet as LV-426, and he didn't use a smart gun in the movie.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

It's weird they list his home planet as LV-426, and he didn't use a smart gun in the movie.

*sigh*

Look kid just play with the fuckin toy, ok?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Zombie Guy posted:

*sigh*

Look kid just play with the fuckin toy, ok?

I mean, I eventually found out why Alan Grant came with a gas grenade. Jury's still out why Dennis Nerdy came with a chemical weapon squirter.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Azubah posted:

We're gonna see a predator murder the poo poo out of some nazis and that is awesome.

So they’re just remaking Prey then

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Beachcomber posted:

M-41A is the pulse rifle. Smart Gun was the M56.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

I played SNES Jurassic Park with my best friend growing up, weeks long summer adventure to beat it. There's a point where you have to reboot the system. This was before we knew anything about the internet, and there probably wasn't much out there at the time anyways. Weeks and maybe even months went by of us spending our Saturdays getting to that point then getting stuck. We'd then trace back our steps all over the drat map looking for something to help us reboot the system. Little did we know, all we had to do, was click the drat "boot" on the screen, to re-boot the system.

There was an old Sega Genesis X-Men game that I remember being pretty good overall but there was one part where you were instructed to "reset the computer". Same thing you described where the solution was to hit the reset button on the console. Like you, my friend and I went all over the loving place looking for any kind of "reset" device in game.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah those NECA toys were quite imaginative. I had a bunch of them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah those NECA toys were quite imaginative. I had a bunch of them.

The NECA ones are remakes of the old 90s Kenner ones, they’re awesome.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Still pretty upset we never got a genuine movie Apone figure (or Drake for that matter)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

The NECA ones are remakes of the old 90s Kenner ones, they’re awesome.

Ah ok. I had the Kenner ones then.

ChickenHeart posted:

Still pretty upset we never got a genuine movie Apone figure (or Drake for that matter)

Drake was one of the very few that were somewhat normal looking.

When you twisted his torso it'd make a clicking noise like gunfire. :)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

There was an old Sega Genesis X-Men game that I remember being pretty good overall but there was one part where you were instructed to "reset the computer". Same thing you described where the solution was to hit the reset button on the console. Like you, my friend and I went all over the loving place looking for any kind of "reset" device in game.

Yeah. That was real fun when you rented the game.

Luckily, I played through it with my dad when he was just learning how to use computers. The lessons he got at work, from some very compassionate co-workers, must have rubbed off on him.

"No, dad, don't pre- Oh, that worked! I love you!"

As an aside: after my dad left back to Germany, if I had problems with my computer he could ask his former co-workers to help fix the problem and they would. Thank you, (former) Parsons Technology employees!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I have the Kenner Ripley figure in a closer somewhere, looked pretty cool as a kid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

I have the Kenner Ripley figure in a closer somewhere, looked pretty cool as a kid.

I’ve got a bunch of my Kenner figures on a shelf above my fireplace, with the NECA remakes higher up above them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My NECA power loader fell off of my monitor and broke its hip :(