Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Murdoch posted:

The game in general is dragged down by all the weird cruft that tries to paint it as a traditional open world experience or something.

Just as a trend I really dislike how many games these days don't respect your time and use cruft like that as padding to add playtime. With a really solid game like Control it just doesn't add anything, but isn't enough to ruin the game either.

Then you have titles like Gotham Knights. It could have been an okay budget game Arkham clone with a limited scope if they basically only had a story campaign that lasted the maybe 2-5 hours that was actually finished and just left the game as a multiplayer sandbox after that.

Instead the stuff like levels and randomized gear, locking story content and even character mobility behind having to waste time on patrols just emphasized how incredibly half-baked the game was. I'll give the devs some credit though, they did remove some of the most naked time wasters post launch, like lowering the steps needed to unlock travel powers.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the mod stuff in Control was a weird misstep because there's very few that are actually useful.
There were a few interesting gimmicks or times I'd swap around pellet count or cone tightness on the shotgun, or wider AoE on the grenade launcher -but yeah I don't think fully removing the system would have hurt the game, there was almost always a clear priority and most of the mods were trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished the plot of My Time at Sandrock, clocking in at nearly a hundred hours (maybe a little less, there were times I let it idle while I made dinner or whatever). The game's real fun, and the plot's way more involved than its predecessor, but maybe, oh I dunno, one in five story missions were completely unnecessary and felt like padding. Like, at one point you find that there's poison coming from a valley, and investigating shows that it's pipes leaking some goo. You then get a mission to plug the pipes, but then the goo remains, so you get another mission to build a vacuum + purifier to get rid of everything, and stuff like that could've been condensed to one mission rather than spreading it out. A number of missions in the game felt like that, not unfun by themselves but extraneous overall.

Edit: Case in point, I just looked up the list of missions and despite what definitely feels like a climax to the story, there are still nearly three dozen missions left in the game's main plot. I suppose I should've known I wasn't done given the lack of credits, but jesus christ I literally just fought a war to free Sandrock from the clutch of the Duvos Empire, defeating a mecha soldier leading the force that was attempting to steal a rocket from Alliance territory in a massive airship. How was that not the final mission?

Eddit: Looks like there are ninety missions, how am I only two thirds of the way through the game's plot

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Dec 12, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The base game mods in Control are pretty boring (or sometimes misleading - I've heard the pellet count mods for the shotgun are useless) but at least it's usually easy enough to just slap more damage on something or whatever. The DLCs added some new stuff into the mix and it's a bizarre double-edged thing where you can luck into some truly game-changing mods like "restore ammo when you dodge" orrrr run into an endless array of truly dogshit "if a flying HIss hits you under a full moon you gain +10% shatter damage for 7 seconds" ones.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I got the Alwa games for stupid cheap (Alwa's Legacy, Alwa's Awakening) and I'm playing through Awakening right now, and I thought that, if you got close enough, you could stunlock enemies. I've been trying to get through one room, with one enemy that throws projectiles, in the second temple, and he's a bastard. Every enemy so far, including this enemy type in a different room, you could close the distance and attack to prevent it from doing anything. This particular rear end in a top hat can still toss out a projectile even when getting stunlocked. There's one room before him that always takes 1 health (out of 3) away, and I can't seem to damage race him fast enough to just facetank the hits.

and this room is five screens away from the save point, so every time I die, I have to do the same piddly little jumps to get back to this room so I can immediately die. :argh:

Also, any game that has a death counter (by default) on Game Over can go gently caress itself

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Targeting surface elements on larger ships in X4 can be a tremendous pain in the rear end. There is a hotkey you can press to cycle through them, but when you're targeting a ship that has about 10 different hard points, each capable of holding 2 or 3 turrets as well as 2 shields, on top of the 2 shields for the hull itself and the engines, it can lead to pressing that button a shitload of times to get the turret nearest you. You could directly click on the surface element... sometimes? Even when I'm shoving the front of my ship into the other ship's engines clicking on them does nothing half the time, and good luck clicking on a tiny turret.

Leal has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Dec 12, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paper Mario: The Origami King: The regular fights are a pointless slog to get through. The game doesn't have an experience system like past Paper Mario games, so the only thing you get from fights is confetti (which you can get easier and quicker from the environment) and money. Money is thrown at you by the game even outside of battle, and the only big expenses are accessories (which are one-time purchases) or replacement hammers and boots, which are mainly only used in the regular fights. And the ring system is a neat idea on paper, but having to do a puzzle before every round gets annoying and stretches what should be a quick fight to at least twice as long.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'll never understand the shift away from the basic battle/leveling mechanics after the first two Paper Marios, every one of them is just worse. Sticker Star is my least favorite, though - the sticker mechanic made the regular battle a net resource drain as far as I could tell, since even basic attacks used consumable resources. Just changing that so only the more specialized attacks used sockets would've made it way more playable, I think, even with the dumbed-down leveling.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll never understand the shift away from the basic battle/leveling mechanics after the first two Paper Marios, every one of them is just worse.

Because Nintendo thinks rpg mechanics in a Mario game is too confusing for the youngins

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll never understand the shift away from the basic battle/leveling mechanics after the first two Paper Marios, every one of them is just worse. Sticker Star is my least favorite, though - the sticker mechanic made the regular battle a net resource drain as far as I could tell, since even basic attacks used consumable resources. Just changing that so only the more specialized attacks used sockets would've made it way more playable, I think, even with the dumbed-down leveling.

The reasoning I’ve heard most consistently was that the Mario and Luigi series covered turn-based conventional RPGs, which is still kind of a shame because I like those games but playing Super Mario RPG and the remake of Superstar Saga kinda reveals a flaw in most of the Mario and Luigi games: if you’re gonna have turn based combat, you really, really shouldn’t have more than one or two of your special moves be so involved they can function as optional score attack minigames. At least the ones you’ll use like every fight, Thousand Year Door has the crystal star special moves but you’re not using those every turn like the endgame Bros moves.

And there’s that whole thing where Alphadream was left out to dry by Nintendo and died as a result, so there’s only the Paper Mario games anyway!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
More For the King II!

The first game was a neat little thing, I can't say I had any real issues with it beyond how much of a bastard it could be, especially at the start of a game. 2, however? Me and my friends have trouble playing the game for more than an hour without the game just making GBS threads its self. It doesn't crash or anything, but like it'll just stop in the middle of an animation forever, or sometimes the connection desynchs or something so one person's turn will end on their end but no one else's, or the menus just freeze up, or animations and graphics just bug out insanely. Also some of the combat seems weirdly buggy. There's one sort of mini-boss type of thing called a Scourge, they show up and gently caress your world up until you kill them and they all have gimmicks. One in specific counters each attack with an AOE blast that leaves status effect panels on the battlefield. A pain in the rear end but not really a threat - except every time it does that, it basically resets your turn. So you hit it, it counters, and its your turn again. Every time we fight it, whoever hits it first solos it on the first turn.

But also the balance is extremely hosed. Like, those scourges for example. Out of all of the ones we've fought, all but one have died on the first turn because they're kind of easy. Then there's the Bandit King who always seems to get to go first and opens the fight with an AOE stun attack that does massive damage and unless you're immune to stun, takes away your turns so he can do that again next turn and also comes with three hard hitting backup units that he can resummon. Most enemies aren't particularly hard, but there just seem to be random decisions to make specific ones gently caress everything up. Like the goblin elite which does like twice as much damage as anything else in the areas you fight it, to an entire column. Or the hobgoblin warlock, which does massive aoe damage and inflicts a DoT while having beefier armour and magic resistance compared to basically any other enemy in its immediate area.

It's a fun game but desperately in need of some kind of adjustment just to make the weird fucky poo poo less so.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
having a lot of fun with rogue trader but this loving banging sound on the void bridge of the ship has me about ready to make rykis minoris look like particularly boring sunday evening

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Meowywitch posted:

Because Nintendo thinks rpg mechanics in a Mario game is too confusing for the youngins

That's so dumb because it really sells kids short. The original Paper Mario was very easy to learn for me as a pre-teen and only increased my enjoyment of RPGs going forward.

I've not played the newer ones, but wasn't there also some weird mandate about how the devs weren't allowed to create new characters or do certain things with those that already existed? If so, this is also baffling to me because the characters in the first game were fun and I can still remember a bunch of them to this day.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Digging up an oldie: I don't like how Terrorist Hunts feel like an afterthought in Rainbow Six Vegas 2. In the older games (up to Raven Shield I think) the hunts took place in mission maps so there were entry points and a logical progression through the map, but in the Vegas games they're in MP maps so everything is more circular and loopy, which wouldn't be too bad by itself but it really doesn't gel at all with the fact that enemy spawns are horrible (they spawn according to location triggers that are super close so they'll often spawn in a room seconds after you cleared it with a grenade, they'll also very often spawn behind you in rooms you already cleared).

The spawns are poo poo but also super predictable so after playing a map a few times you know precisely where to step to spawn enemies, where they'll spawn and exactly how many there are, which makes the game... not easy but predictable. At higher difficulties you'll probably end up rushing forward a bit to have enemies spawn in, run back to a choke point, camp for a bit and repeat.

The AI is also extremely bad. It works alright in the set pieces from the story but in Hunts you'll often have 5 or 6 guys queuing up to use a rope and just waiting to be shot dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Vegas 2’s terrorist hunt was definitely a step down from Vegas 1, even. I had a blast doing it solo and with buddies in 1 but 2 was just bullshit death after bullshit death.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, Luigi's Mansion 2 needs a checkpoint system. I just got steamrolled by a boss fight over fifteen minutes into a level, and getting back to it from the start still took half that time even knowing where I was going. That sucks, especially when the game is clearly designed around a more mobile handheld experience in other ways.

The third game works so much better, autosaving in every room and letting you buy multiple continues with the cash it constantly dumps on you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wait till you find out what terrorist hunt is like in Siege (bad and then abandoned)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

Digging up an oldie: I don't like how Terrorist Hunts feel like an afterthought in Rainbow Six Vegas 2. In the older games (up to Raven Shield I think) the hunts took place in mission maps so there were entry points and a logical progression through the map, but in the Vegas games they're in MP maps so everything is more circular and loopy, which wouldn't be too bad by itself but it really doesn't gel at all with the fact that enemy spawns are horrible (they spawn according to location triggers that are super close so they'll often spawn in a room seconds after you cleared it with a grenade, they'll also very often spawn behind you in rooms you already cleared).

The spawns are poo poo but also super predictable so after playing a map a few times you know precisely where to step to spawn enemies, where they'll spawn and exactly how many there are, which makes the game... not easy but predictable. At higher difficulties you'll probably end up rushing forward a bit to have enemies spawn in, run back to a choke point, camp for a bit and repeat.

The AI is also extremely bad. It works alright in the set pieces from the story but in Hunts you'll often have 5 or 6 guys queuing up to use a rope and just waiting to be shot dead.

My Vegas 2 Terrorist Hunt experience:

Basically, make some noise, go to your selected choke point, set your crosshairs at head height at the location where you know the enemies will come in from, press the trigger whenever an enemy gets in your view. Rinse and repeat.
At no point will any enemy consider that a giant pile of corpses with head trauma might be a bad sign.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm quite enjoying Deathloop, it's a really satisfying game wrt its combat and I'm digging the aesthetic, however it feels weirdly... linear and handholdy? I dunno, I was kinda expecting it to be more open and reliant on the player finding clues and working out how to perform the assassinations completely freeform. It almost feels like they got feedback from playtests that it was too hard and confusing so they bolted on a breadcrumb-like mission system.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Breetai posted:

I'm quite enjoying Deathloop, it's a really satisfying game wrt its combat and I'm digging the aesthetic, however it feels weirdly... linear and handholdy? I dunno, I was kinda expecting it to be more open and reliant on the player finding clues and working out how to perform the assassinations completely freeform. It almost feels like they got feedback from playtests that it was too hard and confusing so they bolted on a breadcrumb-like mission system.

Are you getting real player invasions or just the AI? I feel like the game would be a nightmare for new players if it didn't have that breadcrumb system with real player antagonists, since you'd wind up getting merced constantly while just figuring out what's happening.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Coolness Averted posted:

Are you getting real player invasions or just the AI? I feel like the game would be a nightmare for new players if it didn't have that breadcrumb system with real player antagonists, since you'd wind up getting merced constantly while just figuring out what's happening.

Just ai.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Breetai posted:

It is more linear and hand-holdy than it appears, while you can do the areas in whatever order/time you want to do them, there's only one path to get all the visionaries in one loop. Still a great game, but not at all like one of the Hitman games, if that's what you're looking for.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It opens up after the first couple loops and there's a lot of side content to mess around with, but yeah one of the big complaints is that it railroads you way too much especially early on. Probably had some whiny playtesters

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I guess I was expecting "Outer wilds with gunplay." Still enjoying it tho, and it's one of the most beautifully crafted and densely packed set of levels I've seen in a game, there seems to be little things to do and see everywhere.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Opopanax posted:

It opens up after the first couple loops and there's a lot of side content to mess around with, but yeah one of the big complaints is that it railroads you way too much especially early on. Probably had some whiny playtesters

The handholding plus lack of save+quit is what killed it for me. I could have dealt with one or the other but having to go through the same places the same way when I had to stop playing when something came up had me go “gently caress this” early on

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Coolness Averted posted:

The player invasions are a terrible combination with a game without saves or checkpoints. A random invader could cost the player literal hours, and it's just not fun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For me the quit point was after I had spent too much time in a level doing the best job that I could to scour and 100% everything and then I got to the results screen and it bugged and I could neither save nor continue. I could only quit the game. So I did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remnant 2 does an absolutely terrible job of explaining mechanics. Like a thing will say it has a "mod power requirement" followed by a number and I have no idea what that actually means. Also the game does an absolutely terrible job of letting you know which NPC are actually vendors because I'm at the last boss and I just discovered a guy in town that sells guns. It doesn't help that like half the NPCs in town don't actually let you talk to them all I just didn't bother checking everyone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, Outer Wilds eventually also funnels you into performing one specific sequence to win the game, so if anything that's spot on.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
control is very good and i get that the idea of getting turned around and lost in the building is kind of an intentional theme but gently caress me i have never wanted a minimap so badly in a game before

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

control is very good and i get that the idea of getting turned around and lost in the building is kind of an intentional theme but gently caress me i have never wanted a minimap so badly in a game before

Does the map overlay not count? I'm sure you can pull that up while you play so your direction of travel live-changes on the map. I did think the method of showing levels above and below each other was pretty bad though - it always highlights the top level instead of the one you're on.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
yeah its fine I guess but I have fallen to my death multiple times doing that lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So the first Rogue Trader patch has made it so you cannot load any save with DLC items if you're on Steam, because a file has been mislabeled as gog.info instead of steam.info or some such. This is a thing dragging my game down because I want devs to actually have time to test poo poo before pushing it live. :sigh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never really thought about a more standard minimap in Control, but I also get lost so much trying to use the map that's in there. I get (and appreciate) what they're going for stylistically, but I'd kill to be able to zoom in and tilt to show some 3D structure with the way it's vertically overlaid.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ghostwire: Tokyo: Right mouse is for zooming (aka look down sights without sights)...and also your interact button. Combined with weirdly small interaction points (or maybe some kind of input lag) it leads to a lot of twitchy rack focusing as you try to loot stuff.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kitfox88 posted:

So the first Rogue Trader patch has made it so you cannot load any save with DLC items if you're on Steam, because a file has been mislabeled as gog.info instead of steam.info or some such. This is a thing dragging my game down because I want devs to actually have time to test poo poo before pushing it live. :sigh:

They hosed up amazingly (and will continue to do so, because Owlcat), but it was also fixed within hours.

You should basically avoid Owlcat games at launch. They always come full of bugs and need multiple patches and patches for those patches. For example, the Mounted Charge mechanic in Pathfinder WOTR was broken for months despite repeated patch notes addressing it (and charging also seems broken in Rogue Trader).

Their games can be fun despite the bugs, but goddamn.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Control would've been an amazing game 50 years ago when people were using directories in malls to figure out their location. In a post Assassin's Creed world, it's overwhelmingly threatening to follow arrows that aren't holographic.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Please tone down the scariness of the hiss

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Meowywitch posted:

Please tone down the scariness of the hiss

Ha ha, funny.

The last egg breaks now.

The hole in your room is a hole in you.

You came and we let you in through the hole in you

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The scariest bit in Control is where you're forced to repeatedly do basic office work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope Control 2 takes place outside of The Oldest House or some off section of it that's more flexible so I can pick up and throw a Baby Grand piano at whatever the monster of that game is.