Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the combat bugs get more noticeable as you get later in the game and have more skills and passives interacting with each other in unpredictable ways. Like, to a large extent I've given up on understanding why anything works the way it does because reading all the tooltips and buffs doesn't actually match what the combat log says half the time, and also Yrliet sometimes randomly shoots her gun at the beginning of the turn and I still have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK nerd, how about you join the Adeptus Mechanicus if you love data so much!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

uhh... maybe now but BG3 was pretty bad on release. It sounds like there are more issues deeper in Rogue Trader but I was running into way more buggy poo poo in BG3's act one then I ever did in 40k's.

I put in 200 hrs on BG3 with nothing more than a graphical bug here or there. Have had some stability issues with multiplayer with crashes after one of the patches right enough.

Just look over this thread and the sub reddit where users are actively telling people not to play acts 3/4 yet because of game breaking bugs. I've not had any show stoppers yet but plenty of real issues from people just not being able to walk in certain directions to the wrong abilities triggering selecting navigator powers. The game ships with a big ole Report a Bug button right on the screen for a reason.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean, at launch there were plenty of people telling folks to not play BG3's act 3 until some patches came in. On release it was in an absolutely DIRE state, stuff was broken everywhere.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm at the start of Chapter 2 and I'm wondering if you lose companions on a Dogmatic run?

Well, you can lose Idira, but only if you choose to.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, at launch there were plenty of people telling folks to not play BG3's act 3 until some patches came in. On release it was in an absolutely DIRE state, stuff was broken everywhere.

Put me down as someone else who had no problems with BG3 or act3 at release. Calling it absolutely DIRE is lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhhh...I just had the Starport Part 2 fight against the Chaos Marine.

Before I could get a turn off, everyone in my party dies to the boss except my MC and Idira.
Then Idira gets to act and she one-shots the boss with Desperate Measure: Vision of Death...somehow, but also kills herself.
I had to somehow manage to do the rest of the fight with just my MC nerd Officer, specced into nothing but support abilities.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

If BG3 was DIRE then I'm fascinated to know what state you think Rogue Trader is in. People are leaving positive reviews with notes that sometimes you just need to reload the game to fix things that are broken.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Infinity Gaia posted:

What do you mean by dire state? I'm another person who only got a graphics bug here and there in BG3. Meanwhile, RT has been chock full of bugs, mostly small but I've had to reload previous saves and such a few times already, and the tooltips/game mechanics are just incomprehensible and doing completely different things a distressing amount of times. I put RT down for a patch or two, but I think I'm just gonna put it on easy and Toybox through the game in a bit. This company just doesn't fix their games right, but drat is the 40k setting too good to pass up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Clarste posted:

I think the combat bugs get more noticeable as you get later in the game and have more skills and passives interacting with each other in unpredictable ways. Like, to a large extent I've given up on understanding why anything works the way it does because reading all the tooltips and buffs doesn't actually match what the combat log says half the time, and also Yrliet sometimes randomly shoots her gun at the beginning of the turn and I still have no idea why.

Thats if you use her ability, she ends her turn and makes a strong attack against the target you selected at the start of her next full turn, extra turns given by officers dont trigger it. It's a useful skill but obviously if somebody kills that target first or they move out of los its wasted. I like to set it up anyways because honestly yrliet has more ap than she knows what to do with I think.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's a free attack on her next activation when you have 1AP and nothing to do with it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had a funny thing where I held my "speed up combat" button and a bunch of enemies bugged out into this weird "always stepping" animation with super fast pattering feet sounds lol

Reloading did indeed fix it

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey I ain't saying an Owlcat game ain't broken as hell on release, cuz it absolutely is. I'm just saying BG3 also was. I had no less than three different quest breaking bugs BEFORE Act 3 (Dammon not spawning in Act 2, the game failing to track where Halsin was for the defense quest, and a sort of weird semi-dead Shadowheart due to camp events misfiring) and in Act 3 things got extremely shaky with stuff like things sometimes getting stuck on a massive time delay and quite a few events triggering out of order. And dear god everything involving the prison scenario was busted beyond belief. Just because you all got lucky doesn't mean the game wasn't buggy as hell, guys! A quick google search will reveal a LOT of talk about how buggy Act 3 was. From major publications, too!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say Act 3 was in a dire state myself, I encountered fuckloads of issues in my initial couple of hours upon reaching it and that was enough to sour me on the game for awhile. I'll get back to it, probably when I progress further into this game and then encounter a similar situation which sounds increasingly likely.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think it broke. I'm in Act 2, just finished the third planet (did Janus, Dargonus, factory planet). I left after the vision (Heinrix told me we weren't done, but I explored the entire map, got the data vault, did the cursed cogitator thing; only way I could progress was to tell him to gently caress off), and now nothing is happening. No main quest, no coronation. Is there somewhere I have to go? Did the quest triggers break? Wtf do I do.

Re: story progression, you get told by Henrix's Administratum mole on your capitol about upcoming Dark Eldar raids, and then have to focus on stopping those.

Re: Henrix's quest, there's a big, locked door in the middle of the map that can only be accessed by the rotating bridge, and I think you can return there after leaving so you might still be able to do the quest. I almost missed it too, and I had already gone to the door and been told I couldn't access it yet! I think the door unlocks via the cogitator in the secret room you open with the valve wheel.

Has anyone done factory planet first, and if so does that change how badly hosed up the place is? Because that'd be interesting on a second playthrough, and probably easier, but then you wouldn't get your 6 amazing meatshield servitors that can soak up a whole bunch of fire and even do some decent melee damage if they get turns. Three survived the whole way through with me even with the final fight against ||against a high level Heretek, and two Forgefiends||.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 15, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I had to google the bridge rotation bit :(

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Aramoro posted:

BG3 is nowhere near as broken as Rogue Trader even by a generous interpretation.

Might have to do with the whole "6 years in dev, 3 in public beta" thing. And even then, *tons of stuff that wasn't in beta* (and a bunch that was) was some manner of brokedick on BG3's release.
RT probably had ~2 years of dev time, maybe less (it was announced in June 2022 with token gameplay footage).

Like, Owlcat is Owlcat, and I'll never stop laughing at "this is now fixed. Again. Again, again." in their patch notes but c'mon. They're not operating on the same studio size, timescale or budget as Larian (nevermind Bethesda). And to their credit, they keep hammering at their spaghetti coded games for years, not just fixing them but adding new stuff for free gratis.

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm at the start of Chapter 2 and I'm wondering if you lose companions on a Dogmatic run?

Yes and no. You can get a bunch of Dogmatic points by BLAMMING Idira and the xeno NPCs (either before or after they've joined). But it's you behind that trigger, it's not chosen for you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hey I ain't saying an Owlcat game ain't broken as hell on release, cuz it absolutely is. I'm just saying BG3 also was.

BG3 also cut an entire section of the game, the High City, because they ran out of time on it. That's why Karlach's story is bittersweet at best, her golden ending involved the big cut section of the game. I think it's a function of the size and scope of these games, as noted by . So long as the creator does something like what Larian has done in the past and makes a later "definitive edition" free to the folks who buy the original release buyers of the game I'm personally ok with that - I'll generally want to do more than one playthrough of something with this many paths anyways.

e: Also, BG3 is Larian's first truly big budget game. Divinity: Original Sin ended up running them 4.5m (euros, I think) and almost bankrupted them, but sold more than 2 million copies, and that success led to D:OS2 having a larger but not gargantuan budget... and that being a huge success gave them the runway needed to actually keep BG3 in development for 5+ years. With all the attendant bells and whistles.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 15, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
How buggy is RT compared to Cyberpunk 2077 on release?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Cyberpunk on PC at launch was pretty much fine, at least for me. I've already had to re-load the game a few times in Rogue Trader to get around game breaking bugs.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

From what it sounds like acts 4 and 5 are still pretty hosed in Rogue Trader, like you're on a bridge and they're still building it as you're crossing it. Cyberpunk was finishable and all the quests worked and stuff, in my experience at least.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

pentyne posted:

I've been using it in Act 1 constantly, but if you are seeing that now the patch probably broke it.

Nah this was prepatch, haven't tried it since.

Is there a way to preview the powers the various psyker disciplines will unlock?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know what the gently caress to do with Idira considering that my MC is a support Psyker and the warp damage role is already covered by Cass. Idira just ends up not doing anything of note.
I guess I'll replace her with Jae, since I need to drop someone for her anyway, it's just a shame I don't have enough room in my party to bring everyone I want to.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just racking up operator buffs and debuffs seems pretty good. I'm enjoying being able to stack tons of armor with the tech priests ability to drain exploits to buff the whole party.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Someone upthread said it best: In 40k, having lack of people being a problem makes as much sense as Paul Muad'Dib plans being stopped by a lack of sand.

Lol That was me

Maybe I just live a charmed life when it comes to this game But I haven't had really any significant bugs. The only really annoying one was the administratum quest refused to trigger for me but I have toy box so that was a one button click fix.

I wouldn't say necessarily that I had a blast with act 3, because I just am not a big fan of the design, But it went off without a hitch for me.

I am just now starting chapter 4, hopefully my luck holds but judging by what other people have said I kind of doubt it.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 15, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know what the gently caress to do with Idira considering that my MC is a support Psyker and the warp damage role is already covered by Cass. Idira just ends up not doing anything of note.
I guess I'll replace her with Jae, since I need to drop someone for her anyway, it's just a shame I don't have enough room in my party to bring everyone I want to.

I really want to like Idira, I love her input in dialogue (and since I'm on a Heretic run now her ability to gently caress up the Veil more or less at will will likely be useful) but the fact that she keeps blowing herself up one fight out of three just casting routine buffs/debuffs is deffo annoying. Wild Magic is only fun when it doesn't cripple your wizzerd for the rest of the dungeon !

Eschatos posted:

Is there a way to preview the powers the various psyker disciplines will unlock?

Yes and no.
You can by starting a new game (or ask whatsisface for a merc, just don't finish the process as it costs 1 PF) and checking them out in the character builder by looking up the choices you'll get on a Class Talent node. But not on the levelling up screen unfortunately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

I really want to like Idira, I love her input in dialogue (and since I'm on a Heretic run now her ability to gently caress up the Veil more or less at will will likely be useful) but the fact that she keeps blowing herself up one fight out of three just casting routine buffs/debuffs is deffo annoying. Wild Magic is only fun when it doesn't cripple your wizzerd for the rest of the dungeon !

Take some veil stabilizing talents on your psykers and especially on Cass.
Right now in my Party that includes 2 psykers and Cass, whenever I enter one of those fights that starts with full veil degradation I fully stabilize in a matter of 2 turns.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Yes and no.
You can by starting a new game (or ask whatsisface for a merc, just don't finish the process as it costs 1 PF) and checking them out in the character builder by looking up the choices you'll get on a Class Talent node. But not on the levelling up screen unfortunately.

You do eventually get access to regenerating medkits in chapter 2 that can heal traumas, which I strongly recommend. One of the Janus colony upgrades.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Act 1 down.

They really cleaned up the spaceport from the Beta. Before it was 4-5 trash mob fights, now it's just an ambush with snipers and a minefield, and one large battle with some chaos spawns.

The finale fight is also strongly discouraging of blind experimenting with the character creation/leveling as a game strategy. The trash mobs are what you expect, but between the Chaos Space Marine with his 364HP and the sniper able to do 30-40 damage (so one shot kill) a particularly bad turn is basically a total wipe. I was lucky I found that 2h plasma rifle in the sort of hidden loot spot because Pasqual was able to do significant damage at the end when he was the only one left.

Argenta did a ton of 2 damage rapid fire bursts even with revel in slaughter so pretty much useless against the Marine. Abelard and his trusty chain sword did ~8 damage a hit so I had to use heroic moments for some appreciable damage. My RT warrior was able to stack Sure Fire Plan, reckless strike, and sworn enemy to really do some damage but went down before I could get a heroic moment. Heinrix died before even getting a turn and Cassia stayed in the back using Voice of Command and Bring it Down between trying to see if Navigator powers worked. Her eye wasn't an option because the rest of my party was constantly in the firing cone.

I tried every method of party de/buffing I had available, Cassia & Pasqal w/ exploits, and it didn't seem to make any difference. Joint Analysis didn't cause any noticeable damage increase and expose weakness barely made a dent. This last section of Act 1 Cassia's powers started becoming much less effective. Everyone was passing willpower tests for Touch of Anger when that was a go to ability before.

There's definitely a trend for Owlcat to build up this freedom of choice and character building with this massive tool box of options, but then as you progress you realize that maybe 1/3 of the tools are truly effective and the rest will fall off too hard to be useful or require system mastery implementation knowing both the game itemization and any 'hidden' info. I've probably built all my party members less then optimal, I find myself tending towards homeworld and origin talents rather then weapon proficiency or archetype talents I don't quite get the point of. Cassia only has 2 officer abilities, Voice and Bring It Down, and I'm really noticing the lack of options when its her turn.

I just used Officers on Pascal to stack multiple turns of Exploits right at the start of the fight, along with both Tactical Knowledge (notably boosting my entire team's armor for the rest of the fight) and Machine Spirit Banishment (massively reducing the CSM's damage for a turn). On the actual turn 1, Officers were used to have Pascal restack more Exploits, and then opened the CSM up with Exploit Weakness. Like, you can say it did nothing but I absolutely saw a notable damage increase from the around -30% armor debuff tossed on him.

On a related matter, people should remember that it's +10% HP for each point of Toughness bonus... and this works in reverse as well. One of Cassia's Navigator options is Waking Nightmare, which is an AoE penalty (10 + 2 x WP bonus) to Toughness and Willpower until the end of combat. So that knocked around 100 hp off the CSM's max HP right at the start as well. Note that this ability is also very good against Daemons, as their Armor rating is directly tied to their current Willpower.

The only real issue with the CSM fight is figuring out how to 1-round it before it kills the first shuttle, which I took a couple stabs at before coming to the conclusion I'd have to either get lucky on initiative rolls or else roll back a bit to rebuild. Neither of which I felt like doing for the moment and so moved on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Then Idira gets to act and she one-shots the boss with Desperate Measure: Vision of Death...somehow, but also kills herself.

Classic psyker

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I’m open to the idea that I built her wrong but Idira’s damage stopped scaling well for me (compared to Cass’ literally infinite damage potential) so I don’t regret having having Argenta execute her.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can get a plasma gun in act 1?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Pistol early on, Gun right at the boss.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The only bug-bug I encountered was having to reload to get an exit out of my quarters to appear.

Which isn't very promising on some level

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So do you all think Officer nerfs are afoot? A cooldown on Bring it Down seems likely imo

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes. There's an actual Plasma Gun found a new loot box in the spaceport section when you're in the running away sequence. It's near the start of the area.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Pistol early on, Gun right at the boss.

Aw man, I missed a plasma gun then. I might actually reload my save and go back, I've basically barely done anything in Act 2 so I wouldn't be losing much progress and Pascal would probably enjoy having one of those to play with.

If you save the shuttle in that act 1 fight, I assume that each one lets you send said shuttle to rescue one of the options? The marine managed to destroy one of them when I did it the first time, seemed super scripted though because I knocked his health down to a breakpoint and he just got a turn interrupting mine, zoomed over to the other side of the map and such.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 15, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh this is really funny, I beat the optional boss in act 4 that was part of the space Marines personal quest but nope, game says ut didn't count. And that was at the start of that dungeon.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Late act 2 sequence break bug question regarding Theodora secret caches

I have found both of the hidden Theodora caches. I decrypted the first one using the bridge cogitator, but before I was able to decrypt the second one I unlocked Nomos. Nomos has taken over the bridge cogitator and I don't have an option to decrypt the second one. How big of a problem is this? I hope it's just a bit of lore or something I'm missing, but there's a decent chance that I need the quest flag ino order to unlock something down the line. Anyone who is further along than me have any ideas? Also open to fixing in toybox if anyone has a better understanding of the quest flags than I do

edit:

lmao at these planetary projects:

sounds great guys!

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Aw man, I missed a plasma gun then. I might actually reload my save and go back, I've basically barely done anything in Act 2 so I wouldn't be losing much progress and Pascal would probably enjoy having one of those to play with.

If you save the shuttle in that act 1 fight, I assume that each one lets you send said shuttle to rescue one of the options? The marine managed to destroy one of them when I did it the first time, seemed super scripted though because I knocked his health down to a breakpoint and he just got a turn interrupting mine, zoomed over to the other side of the map and such.

Don't stress too much, as it's not that much better. It's like 2 points of damage, 2 extra range and maybe 5% more AP. Might have some of those values slightly off, but not by much. So while it is noticeable, it's not exactly a huge upgrade over the more easily found Plasma Pistol you could have gotten earlier.

I think he always does it on his second turn, so it's a matter of figuring out a way to kill him in before that comes up. Break points would be something like the Herald of Tzeentch fight in the Sewers, where it literally interrupts your turn when you hit those HP break points.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 15, 2023