Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sumpter's fine but I didn't even realise he was Rassilon until later and I blame the writing for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't get this, he's not bad in the role at all.

That said, not that Dalton's a bad actor but IMO Donald Sumpter's probably better. Or, at least, has less of a history of just phoning it in.

Does Dalton have a history of phoning it in? He's always struck me as one of those serious RADA types that gives every role full whack regardless of whether it deserves it or not.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't get this, he's not bad in the role at all.

That said, not that Dalton's a bad actor but IMO Donald Sumpter's probably better. Or, at least, has less of a history of just phoning it in.

Sumpter was fine in the role, it just didn't feel like the same Rassilon Dalton played. I get that Moffat wasn't really interested in dealing with Rassilon, so maybe it would've been easier to just write him out off screen and not waste time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe this is overcoloured by my experience with Penny Dreadful, but I thought he was there. Better than the wooden Josh Hartnet and Reeve Carney, but was absolutely not delivering compared to the rest.

Which is unsurprising as you had Eva Green tearing off the hind legs of an antelope in full flight, but Billie Piper, Christian Carmago, Helen McCrory, Simon Russell Beale and Rory Kinnear were acting their absolute arses off, and Dalton was doing a wallpaper impression.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every time I try to remember Penny Dreadful my mind forcibly rejects it lest I remember Billie Piper's Irish accent. I can't even read the words I just wrote in the preceding sentence, it's all gone blurry!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fil5000 posted:

Does Dalton have a history of phoning it in? He's always struck me as one of those serious RADA types that gives every role full whack regardless of whether it deserves it or not.

Dalton's definitely someone whose low is still, like, 80%, but it's still possible to use him poorly and only get that 80%.

I think the disappointing thing about his Rassilon is that he was essentially just... not actually there for his own story. Most of his scenes were just him giving a menacing monologue to camera with no other major players around, and that's not gonna get you there. Give Tennant and Dalton an extended sequence to just bellow at each other? Would've been perfect.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Dalton's definitely someone whose low is still, like, 80%, but it's still possible to use him poorly and only get that 80%.

I think the disappointing thing about his Rassilon is that he was essentially just... not actually there for his own story. Most of his scenes were just him giving a menacing monologue to camera with no other major players around, and that's not gonna get you there. Give Tennant and Dalton an extended sequence to just bellow at each other? Would've been perfect.

I can agree with that, yeah, there's not a lot of time for him to DO stuff.

Maybe this is overcoloured by my experience with Penny Dreadful, but I thought he was there. Better than the wooden Josh Hartnet and Reeve Carney, but was absolutely not delivering compared to the rest.

Which is unsurprising as you had Eva Green tearing off the hind legs of an antelope in full flight, but Billie Piper, Christian Carmago, Helen McCrory, Simon Russell Beale and Rory Kinnear were acting their absolute arses off, and Dalton was doing a wallpaper impression.

Ooh, I dunno about that, I maybe need to rewatch Penny Dreadful. I remember thinking I wish he had MORE screen time but also that that would have taken away from Eva Green chewing enough scenery that they must have needed about four set building crews on standby.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I wasn’t sure why Hell Bent even needed Rassilon. It could have been anyone as President.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It functionally WAS any old guy as president. It wasn't remotely clear it was Rassilon. I guess the idea was it was the Doc making him pay for loving up the Master and the time war in general but it wasn't apparent.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
i have no memory of that being rassilon (in hell bent) at all. took me a while to even click what you folks were talking about. i guess he was a different regeneration, but wow, incredibly different vibe. edit: i loving adored dalton's turn as rassilon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, the Doctor name checks him at some point, and it was just like why?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, the Doctor name checks him at some point, and it was just like why?

I don't think it's even the Doctor who does. If I recall correctly, there's just this old guy running things who gets cast out, and he goes,"But you can't do this to me... I'M RASSILON!" and that's the first indication we're given in the entire episode that it's Rassilon!

Anyway I guess it all worked out fine for him since he was off-planet when the Master gleefully murdered everybody including all those millions of children that the Doctor managed to save in Day of the Doctor... :sigh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe time can be rewritten and the Doctor just unfucks a stupid storyline :thunk:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Maybe the Vampires come back and we have a war in heaven.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Maybe time can be rewritten and the Doctor just unfucks a stupid storyline :thunk:

❓“Oi, where’s Gallifrey now?”
🐍 “I told you, I wiped it out. After I found out about the Timeless Child.”
❓ “You see, the thing is, you’re trying to pull the same trick twice. Remember when you tried to nail me for an assassination with all that faked Matrix evidence? This is that all over again!”

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The_Doctor posted:

I wasn’t sure why Hell Bent even needed Rassilon. It could have been anyone as President.

Last time we saw the guy in charge of Gallifrey he was being attacked by the Master, so the choices were a) get Dalton back (I've heard they tried but he wasn't available), b) get someone else and suggest that he regenerated from the Master owning him, or just regenerated in general, that's the good thing about Time Lords is that you can just do that, c) have someone else be the Time Lord Boss, and then the audience of insane nerds start howling "where is Rassilon? Why is this guy president and not Rassilon? Isn't he the most powerful Time Lord ever? Did he just die and not regenerate? Did someone usurp him? The legendary Rassilon? What?!" and I'm sure Moffat was tempted to do option C for precisely that reason, but in the end his desire to stick with continuity won out

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Now this is a nice cover
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1735676278991102027?s=20

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In a historic turnout, Rassilon captures 99% of the time lord vote to become President again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Harlock posted:

In a historic turnout, Rassilon captures 99% of the time lord vote to become President again.

"I turned all the other candidates into faces on my sarcophagus" declared Gallifrey's all time favourite dictator.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of like Doctor Who name-checking Rassilon periodically as some bozo in charge because once the Time Lords became what they were for the Fourth Doctor, it only makes sense that Rassilon is built up in a "Founding Father" sort of way and that bringing him back makes him look like your average Steven Moffat overconfident bad guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Watching some more classic who recently.

I really enjoyed City of Death and this Romana was a very cute companion. I like the idea of the Doctor having another Time Lord. She's also kind of cute. So, is Tom Baker, if we're being honest. Man's voice is rather soothing, let's leave it at that.

Ark in Space reminded me a bit of Alien meets The Thing and yet it predates both. Yes, The Thing is a remake but the original was a generic alien on Earth story without bodysnatching. I found Sarah Jane rather great as a companion and the cheesiness of the special effects were wonderful. I also thought the aliens were rather interesting in concept. Normally, they're only animal parasites but, after absorbing one of the best and brightest on Earth, basically get a jumpstart on millions of years of intelligence evolution. Rather novel.

Caves of Andronzani was a somber affair but a good one. A nice political drama with an air of morbidity that made Peter Davidson's departure work so well. This truly felt like the Doctor was going to die, even though I knew he wasn't. Quite a bit of the magic of theatre, isn't it? To know one thing but choose to believe another. Strong performances all around and I can even forgive the silly floating heads as charming.

I just finished Horror at Fang Rock. Rather good story. It wasn't standout but it was solid. The mystery worked well, especially as it was a foe from the rogue's gallery that I never heard of before. They got no NuWho revival. The supporting cast added a good bit of tension to this slow burn thriller about an unknown, unseen killer. The effects on the Rutan were a bit lacking in a way that took me out of it. It looked like a ball of snot. For some reason, the cheesiness didn't save that one. Still, a wonderful tale.

Frankly, I must say Classic Who has been a wonderful time. My friend says I have been watching literally only the best of it so I have a biased opinion. Perhaps that is true, but I also saw the first episode of the sixth Doctor once so I know there are stinkers.

Honestly, and this might be daft, but why don't they do four parters again? It gives the story so much time to breath and grow. Ah, but I bet it's the budget. The show is awfully expensive to produce. And the budget for these old serials wouldn't do nowadays. Alas, the age of streaming services pumping infinite money into a show to get subscribers is dead. NuWho may have benefited from that on that blasted mouse's network

Why am I talking like this? Oh God, I'm doing that thing again where I mimic the cadence of a doctor I liked. Oh, that's insufferable of me. Could be worse. I also did this when Matt Smith was one and, well, you remember how he spoke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You are watching the best, but that's cool and a perfectly good way to approach the old series if you don't want to go off the deep end of madness. For a series as massive and diverse as classic Who, most people shouldn't approach it as something to absorb in its entirety.

The two parters of NuWho are the same length as the four parter of oldWho. But in the original show, the four parters were often padded like crazy to stetch the budget. For every nicely paced serial that appropriately builds, you have two where the plot moves in a circle for the middle episodes. There's also a bit of a formulaic approach that happened due to the cliffhanger structure and needing three of them and they have to hit at the exact same times is a bit limiting.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 15, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I try to remember Penny Dreadful my mind forcibly rejects it lest I remember Billie Piper's Irish accent. I can't even read the words I just wrote in the preceding sentence, it's all gone blurry!

Is it worse the Gabrielle Anwar's Irish accent?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is it worse the Gabrielle Anwar's Irish accent?

Her one from Burn Notice? That was so bad they dropped it after the first episode but for some reason kept a line from it in the opening intro for every episode the whole run.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Our boy Chrissy E was on Would I Lie To You tonight

He did pretty good. You can tell he was a bit uncomfortable but he did pretty good

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't been following things super closely but seeing some stuff suggesting the colourisation of The Daleks wasn't a one off?

Turnerizing used to be seen as incredibly disrespectful to the original creators of black and white media and I'm really curious when, exactly, this changed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Rutans were in the revival! One was a companion for all of season 3! :haw:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It still is disrespectful and even with whatever best technology you throw at it it still looks pretty ugly since everything was photographed specifically with black and white in mind, but at the end of the day the argument is going to be "well, how else are we going to get people to watch these old episodes and besides they can still watch the B&W originals!"

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Covok posted:

Honestly, and this might be daft, but why don't they do four parters again? It gives the story so much time to breath and grow. Ah, but I bet it's the budget. The show is awfully expensive to produce. And the budget for these old serials wouldn't do nowadays. Alas, the age of streaming services pumping infinite money into a show to get subscribers is dead. NuWho may have benefited from that on that blasted mouse's network
To be fair, a two-parter in New Who has about the same running time to play with that a four-parter did in Classic Who days (especially when you recall that you're working in two less intro sequences/credit sequences/recap scenes).

It's a pacing thing as much as it's a time available thing: when New Who has more time to play with it generally doesn't take the opportunity to slow down, smell the roses, and dig deeper into an idea, it usually uses it to stuff more stuff. There's exceptions, and they're usually very good - Human Nature/Family of Blood could be done in one episode if you took out all of the "John Smith is an actual person with his own motivations and who is falling in love" stuff and similar, but it would be a bad episode as a result, likewise Silence In the Library/Forest of the Dead could have been condensed a lot but slows down to have character moments fairly frequently. (The scene where the first victim's consciousness is winding down in the system and Donna has to talk her through it is incredible.)

New Who just works at a fast pace these days. It's not my preference, but it is what it is; I kind of hope that at least one spin-off is a deliberately slow-paced one to provide contrast. (If they do an Eighth Doctor spin-off and deliberately format and pace it like the classic series that would be wonderful.) Before it aired I kind of hoped that Star Trek: Picard would take that direction - "retired Admiral investigating mysteries in his twilight years" is the sort of concept which each season of that show starts out with, and should by rights lend itself to a slower, more methodical pace, but instead they overstuff every drat season and it goes off the rails every time because they're always, always, always trying to do way too much.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 15, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Her one from Burn Notice? That was so bad they dropped it after the first episode but for some reason kept a line from it in the opening intro for every episode the whole run.

"SHARL WE SHUUUTE THEM?"

Yes I did watch a lot of Burn Notice.

(it was nice they incorporated all the title sequence lines into the final episode)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Got to Planet of the Dead in my full-series watchthrough and wow, that is an episode which just slid off my brain. I had to look up wiki summaries to make sure I hadn't spaced out and forgot something, that's how little of an impression it left.

The bus made me realise that if RTD doesn't bring us Iris Wildthyme on our screens whilst Katy Manning is still alive that's Showrunner Impeachment material.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Covok posted:

I just finished Horror at Fang Rock. Rather good story. It wasn't standout but it was solid. The mystery worked well, especially as it was a foe from the rogue's gallery that I never heard of before. They got no NuWho revival.
All of S3 and several guest appearances afterwards though???

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 15, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

All of S3 and had several guest appearances afterwards though???

The Rutan are in all of series 3?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

The Rutan are in all of series 3?

(this is a joke about the rumor that Martha Jones was a Rutan)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Really? That was a thing? Who fans never disappoint.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Thank you. I had no loving idea what anyone was talking about.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

LividLiquid posted:

Turnerizing used to be seen as incredibly disrespectful to the original creators of black and white media and I'm really curious when, exactly, this changed.

I think the difference is that when Turner did then, there was no QA - it was pretty much run through colourising software and it’s done. With this, they’re making an effort to put out a decent product. Had they colourised it in the TNT fashion, then it would have been rightly slated.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

This seems especially silly because she's captured and cloned by the Sontarans at one point, and you would think that if any species had very well calibrated means of detecting disguised Rutans, it'd be the Sontarans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also think that streaming and blu-ray make it much easier to make both the original and the colour versions available. I also do take some issue with the idea that it's disrespectful, as it's not as if the show was shot in black and white as an artistic choice but a technical and economic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The Rutans were in the revival! One was a companion for all of season 3! :haw:

lol but if they ever want to do a "This is a silly episode ACTUALLY IT'S NOT" the Rutans are probably the best. Paging early Big Finish, from the sandwich days.