Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think most people in cold places use some kind of engine heating block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Exactly. Block heaters.

Where i live winters aren't much of a problem. You start your car, start scraping the windows and a couple minutes later you drive off - and then after a few minutes the car's heater will start to work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mawarannahr posted:

I think most people in cold places use some kind of engine heating block

Yeah I know I live in one of these places. Except it seems in america they don't, instead they just turn on their cars and let them idle until warm.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My father in law will literally “warm up” his car for an hour

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

And then they wonder why their emissions systems clog up...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As a kid I remember cars being warmed up in the winter but rarely so now. Maybe up until mid 2000s? I do remember it being A Thing as a kid.

Weirdly enough my last car came with a remote start because the previous owner added some dece aftermarket bits. Used it maybe once or twice for the A/C, and I don’t think the current owner (mom), really gives that much of a poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wait, why is it bad to let a vehicle warm up before driving in the winter? Excepting the environmental issues.

Is it bad for the vehicle? To let it run for 10-15 minutes before driving off?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Wait, why is it bad to let a vehicle warm up before driving in the winter? Excepting the environmental issues.

Yes. AI dudes could do a much better job of explaining it, but basically cars are designed to run at freeway speeds/RPMS, so starting the motor and letting it idle doesn't necessarily push all the oil at the right pressure through all the parts of the system. Also when the engine block is cold, the computer on your car will make it run very rich while its idling. Combine these two and you get a lot of gunk buildup and excessive wear on the seals and piston rings and poo poo.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is the service that does the interviews

https://www.hirevue.com/

lol every single person on that page is looking at a screen. i think that service IS an ai

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

redshirt posted:

Other than wasting gas and maybe some wear and tear, it doesn't hurt anything to my knowledge, it's just not necessary. If the car starts without trouble and visibility and safety are fine just put it in gear and go. You're wearing winter gear and it'll warm up in a few minutes anyway.

Icy windows? Engine barely starts due to the cold? A few minutes idling might be a good idea.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's bad for an engine to start when it's cold, cold as in below freezing, the colder the worse.

Puts extra wear on it. Oil that is cold does not flow as well so the engine is not as well lubricated when it starts up cold. Also things shrink when cold and an engine is a close tolerance machine, that will lead to faster engine wear.

Idling the car after starting it cold. Don't know it's worse than driving off right away or not, depends on your driving style.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Yes. AI dudes could do a much better job of explaining it, but basically cars are designed to run at freeway speeds/RPMS, so starting the motor and letting it idle doesn't necessarily push all the oil at the right pressure through all the parts of the system. Also when the engine block is cold, the computer on your car will make it run very rich while its idling. Combine these two and you get a lot of gunk buildup and excessive wear on the seals and piston rings and poo poo.

what. no. the engine doesn't know what speed the vehicle is travelling at, onyl the crank speed and load. cars run at very low rpms on the highway because the efficiency of highway design and low rolling resistance means there is low load on the engine while cruising. so start up/idle rpm is often close to cruising rpm. and the engine is designed to run at ALL speeds between the stall point and the redline. thats why those indicators are (used to be) on the speedometer. how would the car ever efficiently accelerate if it couldn't run through all of its potentional rev ranges

idling the engine is less necessary with modern synthetic oils but in the very cold, the motor oil is still viscous and has less lubricity. not to mention the steel/aluminum changes shape and size when cold. the "gunk buildup" and "excessive wear" would come from someone firing the engine up and then jumping on the throttle and pushing the cylinder linear velocity to very high reciprocating speeds before the motor oil and moving parts are at operating temperature and can handle the friction

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

what. no. the engine doesn't know what speed the vehicle is travelling at, onyl the crank speed and load. cars run at very low rpms on the highway because the efficiency of highway design and low rolling resistance means there is low load on the engine while cruising. so start up/idle rpm is often close to cruising rpm. and the engine is designed to run at ALL speeds between the stall point and the redline. thats why those indicators are (used to be) on the speedometer. how would the car ever efficiently accelerate if it couldn't run through all of its potentional rev ranges

idling the engine is less necessary with modern synthetic oils but in the very cold, the motor oil is still viscous and has less lubricity. not to mention the steel/aluminum changes shape and size when cold. the "gunk buildup" and "excessive wear" would come from someone firing the engine up and then jumping on the throttle and pushing the cylinder linear velocity to very high reciprocating speeds before the motor oil and moving parts are at operating temperature and can handle the friction

does your car do 700rpm on the freeway? no? ok then

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Are webastos uncommon in the US or something? They are like the perfect solution here. A block heater with interior cabin heater works just as well, but that means you have to plug in your car and use a timer, which might be too inconvenient. With a webasto you just use a remote or an app.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

His Divine Shadow posted:

Are webastos uncommon in the US or something? They are like the perfect solution here. A block heater with interior cabin heater works just as well, but that means you have to plug in your car and use a timer, which might be too inconvenient. With a webasto you just use a remote or an app.

you can have a block heater as long as you have access to power from your garage attached to your house or house if you can run the cable or apartment if there's outside outlets

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 15, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

Overlanding/vanlife people use the chinese version of webastos religiously. Getting an actual webasto to the US is weirdly expensive

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

does your car do 700rpm on the freeway? no? ok then

i didnt say exactly idle speed dumbass. cruising at 90 km/h in a modern car will put you around 1400-1800 rpm, that is relatively close to idle, considering the full rev range of an automobile engine. do you honestly think that the engine is designed to only be run at loving lawnmower rpm ranges? lmao. nice cherry pick from my post. suffice it to say basically everything you wrote was wrong

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sitting and idling the car for an hour: bad
allowing the car to gently come to operatuing temp (either through a short idling period or a period of low load (gentle driving): good

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
LMAO this goon melted down past the operating temperature

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im fuckign redlining here

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

i didnt say exactly idle speed dumbass. cruising at 90 km/h in a modern car will put you around 1400-1800 rpm, that is relatively close to idle, considering the full rev range of an automobile engine. do you honestly think that the engine is designed to only be run at loving lawnmower rpm ranges? lmao. nice cherry pick from my post. suffice it to say basically everything you wrote was wrong

700 is 50% of 1400, que no? is that relatively close? :thunk:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

if your total rev range between teh stall point and redline is 500 to 7000, and your idle is 700, 1400 is close to 700.

ANYWAY. stupid as gently caress derail and its making GBS threads up the thread

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

if your total rev range between teh stall point and redline is 500 to 7000, and your idle is 700, 1400 is close to 700.

ANYWAY. stupid as gently caress derail and its making GBS threads up the thread

Keep going until you have a new av/custom text imo

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Okay but what's a webasto?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
To answer the title: this thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

teh thread is warmed up for the day, it can begin its journey

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

teh thread is warmed up for the day, it can begin its journey

Feels good man

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Brand of diesel heater, here's a fancy picture

its a very tiny furnace that burns diesel fuel for heat

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
All you people that don't have remote start can keep making up whatever bullshit thing helps you lie to yourself that Pleasant Luxuries are Bad, Actually. I'm gonna keep enjoying getting into a car with toasty warm seats and steering wheel when it's cold out.

Things getting better: Most cars are available with remote start now; a luxury previously available only to the rich.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

just wear gloves like a normal person.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wish they'd all come with auto headlights because people are dumb idiots

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

tangentially related: sometime back during covid, when supply chains got all hosed up, material suppliers and a lot of fab and machine shops started quoting poo poo with ultra short quote durations. like i remember at the height of absurdity my local metal supplier started quoting me for 15 minutes. if i didnt place the order immediately the price would change lol. since going back to normal, material supply has stabilized somewhat so some places started lengthening those quote durations again but some places just left it on their quoting sheets and didnt change the wording ("this quote is valid until 14:24:32" or whatever so its just some automated system spitting it out). i dont have a problem with it usually but i'm getting an engine block and head decked by a fly cutter and i responded to a quote today that i was sent yesterday and they said the price has changed lmfao. bitch its a material removal process! what cost changed?!?!?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I got head decked by a fly cutter at a party last week :smug:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

not much, what's a webasto with you?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I’m going to keep letting my car idle in the driveway for 5 minutes on cold mornings so I can see out of the windows and you can all die mad about it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just get in my warm heated car every morning without even having had to start the car. But sure keep on doing it the dumbest way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Highly recommend a garage if you can swing it

If you get one also don’t fill it up with junk like a basement or attic

Understand this is not possible for many

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
please just take the best care of yourselves that you can, comrades, whatever car buttons you want to push

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Highly recommend a garage if you can swing it

If you get one also don’t fill it up with junk like a basement or attic

Understand this is not possible for many

I need a second garage cuz the first one is just for a ton of junk.